Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

livethepostmetal
Sep 14, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm going to be in London this weekend, and I've always been interested in trying to get a bottle of Sink the Bismarck. Does anyone know where I could get one, how much I should expect to pay (so I can recognize if they are price gouging say tourists or whatever) and if it's even worth it?

I've seen it in a few shops but I forget for how much. Kris Wines in Camden might have it or Jack's Off License in Stroud Green.

If you go to the Brewdog pub in Camden you can get 25ml for 6 pounds if you are just looking to try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
On brewery branding, I like American Brewing Co's package design a lot. Beer is good too I guess.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I decided to go out of my way to a few stores I rarely visit here in New Jersey and came away with a nice haul:

2x Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper
Unibroue La Terrible
Firestone Walker XVI
Dieu Du Ciel Aphrodite
Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout
Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout
Struise Black Albert
Climax Nut Brown Ale
Climax Extra Special Bitter
Hebrew Jewbelation 16
Port Brewing Santas Little Helper Barrel Aged
Tuckahoe Dennis Creek Pale Ale
Maine Brewing's Lunch
Maine Brewing's MO
Widmer SXNW
Terrapin So Fresh So Green

Sorry for the long list, but thought I'd share. A lot of these I wouldn't know without this thread, so thanks.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I totally don't understand the FW XV hate. Its a barleywine heavy blend of their good barrel beers that was good fresh and has aged great.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I keep seeing questions about CCB's distribution in this thread (and every loving place online), so I guess I should just simplify it this way: we used to send stuff regularly to NYC and Philly. Denmark once in a while. Then we did some small shipments to Georgia and Alabama. Pretty much all of that doesn't happen anymore with the exception of a couple times of year in NYC and Philly for special events. We're primarily focused on Florida now, namely the Tampa area. The demand is kinda crazy now just within a hundred miles of the brewery, and despite building a new brewery that potentially doubles our production we're still not meeting demand. It's crazy.

Re: Sculpin cans. gently caress yes. I'm over bottles completely now. gently caress them. Cans are way easier to deal with and make for a better product anyway. The only disadvantage I see to them over bottles is that they generally require more commitment to buying larger volume of empties, tops, etc., but even that will change since more and more smaller breweries are getting into it. I love it. Some dunce emailed us this week saying how terrible cans are and how much bottles are and I just can't fathom why people still think this.

Re: artwork affecting opinions on beer. I'm probably biased since my entire job is that poo poo but I have no problem ignoring breweries who did absolutely terrible or offensive jobs at making artwork or names. Generally if your labels are dog poo poo, there's a solid chance your beer will be terrible. Even a brewery like Russian River who uses loving comic sans on their labels at least showed effort with a unique well-branded design with all of their -ation beers.

Anywho that's way too much to type on a phone so bye!

jerkstores
Aug 6, 2001

Midorka posted:

I decided to go out of my way to a few stores I rarely visit here in New Jersey and came away with a nice haul:

Sorry for the long list, but thought I'd share. A lot of these I wouldn't know without this thread, so thanks.

Mind if I ask where you found the Firestone 16? I haven't seen it in my usual south jersey spots.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

livethepostmetal posted:

I've seen it in a few shops but I forget for how much. Kris Wines in Camden might have it or Jack's Off License in Stroud Green.

If you go to the Brewdog pub in Camden you can get 25ml for 6 pounds if you are just looking to try it.
That is over 24ml more Sink the Bismark than any human should put in their mouth. It's terrible. It wasn't intended to be drinkable, just to wave BrewDog's dick and piss off some Germans. If you want to taste it, either pay the 6 pounds and take your lumps or buy a $3 plastic jug of vodka and leave some lawn clippings in it for a month.

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

The demand is kinda crazy now just within a hundred miles of the brewery, and despite building a new brewery that potentially doubles our production we're still not meeting demand. It's crazy.
The demand is well deserved, and as frustrating as it is to know I'll never get any CCB on the West Coast without mucking about with trades, I can't begrudge Floridians the singular reason to justify enduring state residency. Hopefully you guys will be in Boston in February so I can get at least see how things are going.

quote:

Some dunce emailed us this week saying how terrible cans are and how much bottles are and I just can't fathom why people still think this.
It took me a long time to come around, but I'm with you for the most part. At this point my only bottle-related hangup is the same hangup I have with screwtop wine bottles: sometimes I like a little more ceremony in my drinking. There's something about uncorking a bottle that contributes ambiance to an evening, and the same goes for cracking a bottle instead of a can. It adds class - I only care about it (or class in general) 5% of the time or so, but on those occasions it's nice to have a cork/bottle.

quote:

Re: artwork affecting opinions on beer. I'm probably biased since my entire job is that poo poo but I have no problem ignoring breweries who did absolutely terrible or offensive jobs at making artwork or names.
Yes but Vas Deferens has a delightful name, delightful bottle art, and is delightful beer.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

jerkstores posted:

Mind if I ask where you found the Firestone 16? I haven't seen it in my usual south jersey spots.

I found it at West Deptford's Joe Canals. I highly recommend stopping in there, I also got Black Albert and some others there.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

I don't think there is a single person in this thread who would tell you that Sink the Bismark is worth buying.

^^^^^^^^^^

saw it in DC last year for, what $109? something insane like that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

rage-saq posted:

I totally don't understand the FW XV hate. Its a barleywine heavy blend of their good barrel beers that was good fresh and has aged great.

People...hate this beer? What the gently caress? Had it on draft when it came out and it was ungodly good, one of those holy-poo poo moments where you realize you're having one of the best beers you've had in your life. I can only imagine what the bottle in the cellar's doing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Phanatic posted:

People...hate this beer? What the gently caress? Had it on draft when it came out and it was ungodly good, one of those holy-poo poo moments where you realize you're having one of the best beers you've had in your life. I can only imagine what the bottle in the cellar's doing.
It tastes like sweet prunes when I had a fresh bottle and wasn't a fan at all. I have a hard time justifying buying double bottles when I have $85,000 in debt.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Phanatic posted:

Seriously, I don't know anyone who *hates* XV. I was fortunate enough to pick up another bottle a couple weeks ago and I hope to crack it open in February or so.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Mmmmmmmm Blackout Stout.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
BCBS and Backwoods Bastard

A good night for beer. Cheers :cheers:

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

SHAKY DEFENSE posted:

Gotta love how there's so many breweries out there that you only catch up to some after a few years of taking the red pill. In my case, this year it's been He'Brew. Trying some Origin tonight and though my wife still yelps at hops and can taste little else, the pomegranate flavor steals the show for me. I can only remember the initial impression of Sweet 16 that I had because "drat!" Before that was Lenny's and before that was Hop Manna. This has been a pretty good year for beer.

I was at an event, and while quite drunk I think the Rep was saying He'Brew and Coney Island come out of the same brewery?

The special edition stuff I tried from both was great, but the normal lineup is "eh" at best for me.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

bartolimu posted:

Yeah it's definitely an "IPA Alternative" and falls into the gimmick beer category. I like it because the hop character expresses a little differently from how it would in an ale. It's an interesting beer, not one I'd want to drink every day or anything.

Honestly I don't think I've ever had a Bruery beer that I would want to have every day. I've had some I really liked and some I really didn't, but none that make me with they came in a 6 pack.

Went to a gallery event last night, it sucked, so we went to the beer bar a block away instead. Wound up drinking one of the barrel aged Mikkeler Blacks from tap, a De Molen smoked stout with peat and bamberger malts, a bottle each of 2 year old Westvleteren, and a bunch of tastes and shares. A Delicious Night, though I am feeling a bit wrung out today.

e:

Jahoodie posted:

I was at an event, and while quite drunk I think the Rep was saying He'Brew and Coney Island come out of the same brewery?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're the same company.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Milk Stout Nitro is coming out in 6 pack bottles here! :swoon:

Nothing more to say, I'm just extremely happy.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Honestly I don't think I've ever had a Bruery beer that I would want to have every day. I've had some I really liked and some I really didn't, but none that make me with they came in a 6 pack.

If the price was right, I'd take a sixer of Saison Rue.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Hottenroth is amazing and incredibly drinkable (unsurprisingly given style and ABV). It's the price that keeps me from stocking up on it.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Chicken's right, Hottenroth is about the only Bruery thing I'd drink every day. That and maybe Nottenroth, which was the Hottenroth batch that only made 2% abv and stuck. It's still delicious. Go Team was very good but not a style I want every day. Bruery beers are more special occasion/sharing things, since they're typically huge and complex and come in big bottles. For day-to-day bottles give me Weihenstephaner or some of the more normal DFH offerings. I could do Chicory Stout all winter, for instance.

Publius_Maximus
Apr 8, 2009

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Re: artwork affecting opinions on beer. I'm probably biased since my entire job is that poo poo but I have no problem ignoring breweries who did absolutely terrible or offensive jobs at making artwork or names. Generally if your labels are dog poo poo, there's a solid chance your beer will be terrible. Even a brewery like Russian River who uses loving comic sans on their labels at least showed effort with a unique well-branded design with all of their -ation beers.

I live in Tallahassee and found out that the store I work at actually started selling Jai Alai without me noticing and let me just say those are some drat pretty cans.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I've noticed Weyerbacher packaging getting progressively easier on the eyes.

Man were they terrible.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Docjowles posted:

I'm partial to Porkslap, personally. I haven't had the beer in a million years, don't even remember if it was any good. But the can owns.

My friends and I bought a 12 pack sampler of Butternuts since we needed some cheap canned bear to play a drinking game which had Porkslap, Heinnieweiss Weissebier, Moo Thunder Stout and Snapperhead IPA in it. The only thing that was drinkable was the Heinieweiss. Everything else in that pack I took 1 sip and had to either give it away to someone who was willing to try it or just straight up drainpour it. Nowhere near as bad as Rogue's Voodoo Donut, but it was awfully close.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that

Jahoodie posted:

The special edition stuff I tried from both was great, but the normal lineup is "eh" at best for me.

Yep, Schmaltz. I've not tried any Coney stuff yet.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Man were they terrible.

You mean you didn't like this?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
More like this:

Compared to this:

Not that the second one is amazing but compared to the first it almost is.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Mahoning posted:

Man were they terrible.

Were?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Either they made less of it this year or there's a lot more demand because I couldn't find any Victory at Sea at all for the last week until I actually went to the brewery to get it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 7, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

labels, yo- how do they work?

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Weyerbacher's art was a quaint mix of 1997 video game box art and a 7th grader's pre algebra book cover circa 1994. Anything is an improvement.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

wattershed posted:

Weyerbacher's art was a quaint mix of 1997 video game box art and a 7th grader's pre algebra book cover circa 1994. Anything is an improvement.

I was thinking more like background art from a Geocities page, but this description works.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

Hello beer thread! I have a beer related question and this seems like the best place for it.

I want to buy my older brother a fancy bottle of stout for Christmas, but I'd also like to wrap it and put it under the tree. If I buy the beer now, is there a good way to store it so it won't go skunky? Or should I wait until closer to Christmas? The bottle needs to travel on a train with me as well for about 6 hours if that makes a difference.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Phisty posted:

Hello beer thread! I have a beer related question and this seems like the best place for it.

I want to buy my older brother a fancy bottle of stout for Christmas, but I'd also like to wrap it and put it under the tree. If I buy the beer now, is there a good way to store it so it won't go skunky? Or should I wait until closer to Christmas? The bottle needs to travel on a train with me as well for about 6 hours if that makes a difference.

Many beers sit on bottle shops shelves at room temperature for months at a time. You'll be fine putting it under the tree now. I'd make sure that however you wrap it, it can still be stood up (not lain on it's side), but other than that it'll be fine.

(Even laying on it's side for a couple of weeks won't hurt it either, but upright is best.)

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!
You don't have to worry about it going skunky. Wrapping it will keep out the light (which is what causes skunking, UV Light hitting hop compounds). The temperature variation won't be anything that you should worry about, especially for the timeframe.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

yeah, what they said. where are you?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I'll jump in, too!

If you're talking "good stout" you're probably talking about an higher-alcohol stout like an imperial stout. Not only is it okay to buy now, but a lot of those types of beers can actually be aged for months to years to decades depending on storage condition. Like certain types of wine, the flavor profile can change with age. Not all, but generally darker styles (like stouts) that are higher in alcohol are good candidates for this. So this is definitely not a problem.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, what they said. where are you?

I'm from Ontario?

Thanks that helps a ton. Its an aged beer, so I figured there must be some way to store it without wrecking it. I just don't know much about beer storage and didn't want to be the worst sister ever by gifting him a skunky bottle. I guess I'll just leave it in the wooden container it comes in and wrap it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I've always heard that stout will suffer from light damage slower than light beers because UV rays are reflected away from the surface.

In any case I wouldn't worry about it at all unless you're storing the bottle in direct sunlight outside of a container. The only beers that typically that come in bottles that offer no protection from UV rays are industrial European/Mexican lagers. Just keep it in your box and keep it at a temperature which is comfortable to normal people and it won't be a problem at all.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Weyerbacher went from trapper keeper level to deviant art level. I mean sure its an improvement but you have to feel sorry that they spent money on that stuff and it only came out that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Phisty posted:

I'm from Ontario?

Thanks that helps a ton. Its an aged beer, so I figured there must be some way to store it without wrecking it. I just don't know much about beer storage and didn't want to be the worst sister ever by gifting him a skunky bottle. I guess I'll just leave it in the wooden container it comes in and wrap it.

Where you're from is important re: what beer you were possibly looking at/for because of distribution issues. But it seems you have a candidate and a location to buy so you're good. Nothing you can do to it in normal handling procedures could ruin it so no worries. Just don't put it in an oven then freeze it or something insane like that.