Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stochastastic
Jun 5, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I want to replace my flour and sugar canisters. I like glass and stainless steel or brushed aluminum/steel. My main gripes with my current canisters are that the flour canister cannot actually fit an entire bag of flour in it. Also, the mouth of the jar is a lot smaller than the jar itself, making it awkward to try to scoop out the flour. I really like the style of jars/canisters that they at least used to have a doctor's offices: A glass container with a steel top that is flush on the sides with the container. Any suggestions?

I have 4 4-Qt Oxo POP containers and love them. Not only do they store a full 5-lb bag of flour, but they also seal very tightly. And if you want to spend a bit more you can get the steel-topped versions... plastic steel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mich posted:

Stuff gets forgotten about in the back of a regular freezer too. I think you could stack things differently in a bottom shelf freezer so that you wouldn't have much more hidden on the bottom than you would at the back of a freezer.

yeah, I mean I personally agree - I think a freezer is a freezer mostly - but I also see her point about just like, the visible surface area you have to work with. either would be fine with me though, to be honest - not knocking french door with bottom freezer at all.

still, I maintain my original position : french doors rock, and having french door freezer *and* fridge? hell yeah!

I also have seriously considered integrating a small walk-in in FutureKitchen, and plan on building a giant brick wood fired outdoor grill/smoker/oven, so don't listen to me - I'm loving ludicrous as all hell :).

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
My dream kitchen would have two "walk-ins" that are just big enough for a single speed rack in both. One fridge, one freezer.

Realistically, give me a chest freezer and a fridge any day.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'd settle for a side by side with sliding racks wide enough to hold a half sheet pan

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

stochastastic posted:

I have 4 4-Qt Oxo POP containers and love them. Not only do they store a full 5-lb bag of flour, but they also seal very tightly. And if you want to spend a bit more you can get the steel-topped versions... plastic steel

Thanks for this, that may be my best option yet.

I like the practicality of cambros, but I like having this stuff on the counter for easy access, so something that looks a little more presentable is preferred.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

edit: And, ordered. Thanks again!

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Dec 7, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As for freezer chat, a small bottom drawer freezer is all I really need. Frozen stock, ice cream, some cold packs, a few pilsner glasses...beyond that, I don't really keep any frozen items.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

As for freezer chat, a small bottom drawer freezer is all I really need. Frozen stock, ice cream, some cold packs, a few pilsner glasses...beyond that, I don't really keep any frozen items.
We keep flour in a giant square plastic box with rough measurements on the side at we got at a restaurant supply store. It has a metal scoop that lives inside, and stays in a drawer in the island. Pretty handy.

In re freezer chat, I do like to keep pizza doughs, cookie doughs, and soup, and occasionally other prepared items, on hand in the freezer for ready use.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I have one of those Victorinox small paring knives and it's great. Can I use a honing steel on it like my chef's knife? Can it be resharpened? I know it's inexpensive enough to just buy another, but it'd be cool if I can keep it longer. The metal is a lot thinner than other knives, so I'm unsure.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes, hone it regularly, and sharpen it periodically.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Good to know, thanks.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Speaking of hones, I just got this ceramic hone:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/id12cerodwna.html

It's been great so far, noticeably better than a steel hone. Apparently it will shatter if you drop it though. My understanding is that ceramic hones like this are roughly equivalent to a few passes on mid-high grit (4000 - 6000) finishing waterstone.

You can get the leather sheath to impress your friends and pretend it's a sword!

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
Does anyone know of a super fine ceramic steel? It just seems counter intuitive to get to a near mirror finish on the edge of a knife and then hone it with something far coarser than the last sharpening grit. I have a (too) small ceramic hone that I like, but all of the longer ones are way too coarse. I cringed when I tried one because I could hear how it was grinding the blade. Or am I better off with a strop/equivalent?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

logical fallacy posted:

Or am I better off with a strop/equivalent?

if you care that much, probably yes.

I'm not an expert on knives by a long shot, but my thought is, if you've been actively using the knife after you've sharpened it, a lower "grit" steel to reset the edge is probably a good thing, as the edge may have deteriorated during use?

I mean if you're keeping it in a glass display case, then yeah strop it, but otherwise save the crazy for when you're actually resharpening the blade?

I could be completely wrong.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Doh004 posted:

I have one of those Victorinox small paring knives and it's great. Can I use a honing steel on it like my chef's knife? Can it be resharpened? I know it's inexpensive enough to just buy another, but it'd be cool if I can keep it longer. The metal is a lot thinner than other knives, so I'm unsure.
I've got a couple Victorinox paring knives that I originally bought back in the '80s. They can be resharpened.

logical fallacy posted:

Does anyone know of a super fine ceramic steel? It just seems counter intuitive to get to a near mirror finish on the edge of a knife and then hone it with something far coarser than the last sharpening grit. I have a (too) small ceramic hone that I like, but all of the longer ones are way too coarse. I cringed when I tried one because I could hear how it was grinding the blade. Or am I better off with a strop/equivalent?
I'd use a strop instead. I do use a strop instead. But if you want a really fine honing rod/steel, then you can find borosilicate rods. They're going to be pricier than a ceramic rod, but they'll last for loving ever and they'll work on pretty much any blade steel (many/most ceramic rods are aluminium oxide, and so are softer than the carbides in modern `super' steels).

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

logical fallacy posted:

The Idahone is actually pretty close to super fine. Borosilicate would of course be finer, but it's several times more expensive.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Borosilicate is best for 60+ Rockwell knives. That said, I keep a 4000/6000 stone with me at work an just do a few passes every morning as part of my daily set up.

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, but what's her point? The freezer on the bottom is a superior design - it uses less energy to keep the bottom of the unit cold, plus the part that you access the most, the fridge, is at a more user-friendly level; you never have to stoop to pull something out of the bottom drawer.

It is a superior design, future mrs. mindphlux is broken.

Also if you're really going to buy two units, you might as well buy a fridge and a chest freezer. Powering both is going to be an energy sink, and a french door freezer is going to warm up a lot every time you open the doors.

Actually it supposedly isn't a superior design in terms of energy use because the location of the pump is on the bottom so fridges with freezers have to work harder to correct for the heating of the freezer compartment by the pump. I agree with you though that it's superior from an ergonomic point of view though because its loving stupid having to bend down for a door that you open more often.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fredus posted:

Actually it supposedly isn't a superior design in terms of energy use because the location of the pump is on the bottom so fridges with freezers have to work harder to correct for the heating of the freezer compartment by the pump. I agree with you though that it's superior from an ergonomic point of view though because its loving stupid having to bend down for a door that you open more often.
Interesting point, but I wonder how much of a difference that makes when comparing two refrigerators - one with a top freezer and one with bottom.

To be fair, it's almost certainly a wash either way, and the better ergonomics would trump it in my opinion, even if the ener use was medium higher.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So due to the lockout, I will not be getting my annual gift of hockey tickets :smith:

However, this means that I can now get my relatives to help upgrade my pitiful kitchen!

I'm probably going to get a lot of gift certificates so I can just go purchase exactly what I want and toss in a little more myself to get more. Basically, for all things here, I am looking to get something that isn't insanely expensive, but at the same time, is quality enough that it can last me several years.

The main thing I am looking for is a nice portable kitchen island with a cutting board/area, spice rack, storage space, area to mount a knife rack maybe and all athat good stuff. My kitchen is not very big at all, and I lack counter space big time.

The other thing I want is some new knives. I've been using the same rinky dink dollar store set since I got my own place. Any time I cook at someone else's place, it makes me sad how cheap, dull and flimsy they are.

I am not looking to go get some crazy $700 knife set. I just want something that is good quality but still a good value. Is this something that I could buy knives individually if I don't have the budget for a big set all at once?

The only other thing that I can think of now that I would want would be a rice cooker/steamer, if anyone has recommendations on good ones. I figure there's a lot less variety in quality on those than there are on knives and kitchen islands.

Thanks!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

THE MACHO MAN posted:

The other thing I want is some new knives. I've been using the same rinky dink dollar store set since I got my own place. Any time I cook at someone else's place, it makes me sad how cheap, dull and flimsy they are.

I am not looking to go get some crazy $700 knife set. I just want something that is good quality but still a good value. Is this something that I could buy knives individually if I don't have the budget for a big set all at once?

Don't buy a set. Buy Victorinox/Forschner knives, start with the 8" chef's knife, it's brilliant. Pick up a good (as long and as fine as possible) steel while you're at it and learn to use it every time you use your knives.

Your knives should only need to be sharpened about yearly as long as you maintain them with the steel. Sharpening them yourself takes a bunch of practice. If you can find a professional place that sharpens knives for hotels and restaurants etc., they'll probably sharpen your knives relatively cheaply and do a great job of it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 12, 2012

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't buy a set. Buy Victorinox/Forschner knives, start with the 8" chef's knife, it's brilliant. Pick up a good (as long and as fine as possible) steel while you're at it and learn to use it every time you use your knives.

Your knives should only need to be sharpened about yearly as long as you maintain them with the steel. Sharpening them yourself takes a bunch of practice. If you can find a professional place that sharpens knives for hotels and restaurants etc., they'll probably sharpen your knives relatively cheaply and do a great job of it.

Awesome, thank you.

From a few pages back, but this is a good start I would assume based on the comments that followed?

Residency Evil posted:

Is this Victorinox 8-inch chef's knife a good deal for $25?
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Sw...+chef%27s+knife

I'm just looking for something to slice veggies/rarely meat with and I'd like to get something less terrible than the all-in-one set I have now. I know amazon has deals on knives from time to time: is it worth waiting? I'd like to keep it around $50.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's exactly the one. It's inexpensive and very good, not just for it's price, but in general.

They make just about every knife you could ever need in a kitchen in a wide range of sizes. Lots of people swear by their filet and boning knives, even in the face of much fancier options.

stochastastic
Jun 5, 2003

THE MACHO MAN posted:

The only other thing that I can think of now that I would want would be a rice cooker/steamer, if anyone has recommendations on good ones. I figure there's a lot less variety in quality on those than there are on knives and kitchen islands.

Thanks!

I can speak to the only rice cooker I've ever owned: the Zojirushi NS-LAC05. It makes the perfect amount for my wife and I, and we've used it 1-3 times per week for the last 5 years. All you have to do is add rice/water and hit a button and out comes awesome rice.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

If you don't mind getting an electric pressure cooker instead, get one of those.

http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-670040230-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B001A62O1G/

I have used this one at work for ages, and it makes a great pot of rice. Only drawback is that you need to measure the water and rice yourself, instead of having handy dandy lines on the side. However, it's worth it, because it does the job so darned fast, because it's a pressure cooker. If you cook white rice, set the pressure cooker timer for 4 minutes, then let it sit there for another five minutes before venting the pressure. Brown rice cooks in 7 minutes if you soak it overnight, or 15 minutes if you don't. Whichever method you do, give it another 5 minutes to hang out before releasing the pressure.

If you use hot water to pour into the cooker, it comes up to full pressure within a couple of minutes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to say I got the OXO canisters in and they are perfect. Thanks for the recommendations all.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My mother would like a small rice cooker for Christmas. By small I mean it wouldn't need to make rice for more than four people. Any suggestions?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Red_Fred posted:

My mother would like a small rice cooker for Christmas. By small I mean it wouldn't need to make rice for more than four people. Any suggestions?

Zojirushi NS-LAC05XT or NS-ZCC10 depending on exactly how much rice those four people would eat. No one makes better consumer rice cookers than Zojirushi, although I've heard that Panasonic and Sanyo are close.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

THE MACHO MAN posted:

The main thing I am looking for is a nice portable kitchen island with a cutting board/area, spice rack, storage space, area to mount a knife rack maybe and all athat good stuff. My kitchen is not very big at all, and I lack counter space big time.

Costco had a pretty nice little bamboo wheeled kitchen island thing in September. I don't know if you're a member or if they still have one, but I love mine. It's very sturdy and doesn't move when you're doing prep on it, which is the main thing.

The Forschner knives are very good. You can get them with rosewood handles for about $10 more per knife - the blade is the same, but the rosewood handles are nicer looking than the industrial plastic ones.

A basic comprehensive knife set consists of a chef's knife, a serrated bread knife, and a paring knife. With these three you can do most prep tasks. If I were you I would buy a higher-end chef's knife, a Kai Pure Komachi bread knife, and a bunch of very cheap paring knives (Forschner makes a three paring knife set for like $15).

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

Hey folks.

I'm looking for a vacuum sealer for freezing and down the line to do some SV stuff with an Arduino temp controller I've been working on. Any particular recommendations?

mcppants
May 2, 2005
bloody tampon popsicle
I am looking for a one to two hundred dollar crock pot or slow cooker. Any recommendations?

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

mcppants posted:

I am looking for a one to two hundred dollar crock pot or slow cooker. Any recommendations?

You can find a lot of great slow-cookers for well under $100.

That being said, if you feel like spending in that price range, you could look at something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MSC...rds=slow+cooker

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mcppants posted:

Why would you spend more than 5-10bux on a crockpot? You can buy one of the best pressure cookers you can buy for $170 (the Kuhn Rikon). You're nearly there to a puddle system. You can buy a really good enameled cast iron dutch oven.

Crock pots are one of the most useless kitchen devices. Everything they can do can be done faster, better, and with more control in a multitude of other ways. If you must have one, they have a ton at thrift stores, they will do the same thing as a 200bux one will.

fake edit: lol "Brown" things with temperatures "up to 400 degrees" holy lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought a slow cooker for $20 and even that feels like a frivolous waste of money now that I've had it for a while.

Larry Horseplay posted:

Hey folks.

I'm looking for a vacuum sealer for freezing and down the line to do some SV stuff with an Arduino temp controller I've been working on. Any particular recommendations?

It's hard to find one that isn't FoodSaver these days

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=foodsaver

It's really a matter of whether you want to pay extra for "smart seal" automatic sealing or if you want a manual sealing version. While the automatics are nice, they do tend to waste plastic and the manual ones let you choose how much plastic you want to use up for each seal.

Vertical models save a little counter space and have a compartment inside for storing a plastic bag roll.

The higher end models also have an accessory hose in case you buy vacuum canisters later.

I have the 3880, it's available at Costco for $150 and sometimes drops to $120. Online they seem to be bundling it with a vacuum container for $180
http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&keyword=foodsaver

edit: some corrections

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 13, 2012

mcppants
May 2, 2005
bloody tampon popsicle

GrAviTy84 posted:

Why would you spend more than 5-10bux on a crockpot? You can buy one of the best pressure cookers you can buy for $170 (the Kuhn Rikon). You're nearly there to a puddle system. You can buy a really good enameled cast iron dutch oven.

Crock pots are one of the most useless kitchen devices. Everything they can do can be done faster, better, and with more control in a multitude of other ways. If you must have one, they have a ton at thrift stores, they will do the same thing as a 200bux one will.

It's not for me. I don't use either and if l were buying for myself I would buy a Dutch oven but I'm not. I'm buying it for my girl friends mom who does things like uses chefs knives to cut things in pans as they cook.

Edit. I wasn't sure what a decent cooker went for which is why I specified a price range.

mcppants fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 13, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Haha, in that case she'll probably shred up the non-stick inside of the one GigaFool suggested

Here
http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCV...ot+touch+screen
It's under $100, it's got a touch screen, programmable up to 20 hours, enamel pot. It doesn't have a "stove top" cooking function like those 3-in-1 units do, so I think she'll be less tempted to use her knives while cooking in it. Plus if she does the enamel might dull up her knives but if she's cutting stuff in pans they're probably already dull and at least she won't be causing permanent damage to the device like she would if it was nonstick

Or this
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-33967-6-Quart-Programmable/dp/B001AO2PXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355420207&sr=8-1&keywords=slow+cooker

I have to agree with Grav, I think they're all the same, the bells and whistles don't really mean much, and I guess it's a matter of how much do you want to spend since it's a gift

BTW, did she specifically say she wanted a slow cooker? Or is she open to other gift ideas

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 13, 2012

Larry Horseplay
Oct 24, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

Good stuff

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Counter space is at a premium in my apartment so your advice helps a lot!

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

mcppants posted:

It's not for me. I don't use either and if l were buying for myself I would buy a Dutch oven but I'm not. I'm buying it for my girl friends mom who does things like uses chefs knives to cut things in pans as they cook.

Edit. I wasn't sure what a decent cooker went for which is why I specified a price range.

I would probably not buy them anything for the kitchen that wasn't incredibly gimmicky and did one specific thing very well without a chance of someone messing it up. If anything, buy her a proper intro to cooking book or something if she's that interested in cooking. If she's not just buy her chocolate.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

"Just use Brown/Sauté at 350 degrees F and stir until all ingredients are warmed through. "

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
cooking : just stir over heat (not too high! or it will burn) until ingredients are warmed through

-gws cookbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

mindphlux posted:

cooking : just stir over heat (not too high! or it will burn) until ingredients are warmed through

-gws cookbook

cooking : sometimes you can put things in another thing and let it warm all the way through. Sometimes it is tasty, sometimes it is not. Try it!

-gws cookbook volume 2

• Locked thread