Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Does anyone have the OM-D next to an EPM-1? I'd like to see the sizing difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

TLG James posted:

Does anyone have the OM-D next to an EPM-1? I'd like to see the sizing difference.

This might be useful: http://camerasize.com/compare/#289,163

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently Amazon is having a deal where if you buy an X-Pro1 with either the 35mm or 18mm, there's an automatic $300 rebate at the time of purchase making the whole setup $1700.

I just took advantage of it after returning my Hasselblad outfit. :yaycloud:

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

Mest0r posted:

Apparently Amazon is having a deal where if you buy an X-Pro1 with either the 35mm or 18mm, there's an automatic $300 rebate at the time of purchase making the whole setup $1700.

I just took advantage of it after returning my Hasselblad outfit. :yaycloud:

It's a Fuji thing, they dropped the body by $300 and offer the $300 lens rebate so the X-Pro and X-E1 prices are within a few hundred bucks of each other, it's pretty smart. A Fujifilm North America guy posted an official announcement on his blog, the drop and rebate are good through February 5th.

I think the cheapest X-Pros are open box ones from Amazon for $1025 or warrantied grey markets from T-Dimension for $1105. Neither are eligible for the rebate so the price with lens evens out with Amazon, et al but anyone could shoot adapted on the cheap if need be.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Has anyone here tried shooting slides/negatives with a slide copier? I saw some pretty impressive results from using a NEX-7 to copy a slide vs. some dedicated film scanners, and I was wondering if there were any good slide copy setups for vintage systems that might adapt well to NEX, in particular (one for Minolta would be extra-great since I already have an adapter - would those Konica slide copiers work?).

Radbot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 7, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Someone tell me about the wide options for the m4/3 system. Reviews seem good to mixed on the 17mm f/2.8. For around $200 used, is it that bad of a lens?

And someone tell me about that 15mm f/8 body cap lens because for $50 it sounds like a hoot.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
The Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens is ridiculously cheap, and I need one of those body caps sobad

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That bodycap lens is almost making me consider keeping my GF3 just for that. I love panfocus.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Just got my 18-55 for my X-Pro 1 this morning, I've gone through and updated the firmware to 2.01 too. Looking forward to playing with it this weekend.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Aargh posted:

Just got my 18-55 for my X-Pro 1 this morning, I've gone through and updated the firmware to 2.01 too. Looking forward to playing with it this weekend.

Awesome, let us know how it does. I want one but for some reason I've held off on pulling the trigger.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

DJExile posted:

Someone tell me about the wide options for the m4/3 system. Reviews seem good to mixed on the 17mm f/2.8. For around $200 used, is it that bad of a lens?

And someone tell me about that 15mm f/8 body cap lens because for $50 it sounds like a hoot.

You have the main prime options of the 12/2, 14/2.5, 17/1.8, 17/2.8, 15/8; also lined up from most expensive to least expensive. I currently have the 14/2.5 but might be selling it to get the 17/1.8. But to be sure, the 14/2.5 is an excellent value for money lens. I think the 17/2.8 is a decent lens, once you stop it down a little bit. It's certainly good enough if you don't think you need the extra stop of light over the 17/1.8.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Radbot posted:

Has anyone here tried shooting slides/negatives with a slide copier? I saw some pretty impressive results from using a NEX-7 to copy a slide vs. some dedicated film scanners, and I was wondering if there were any good slide copy setups for vintage systems that might adapt well to NEX, in particular (one for Minolta would be extra-great since I already have an adapter - would those Konica slide copiers work?).

I have a Minolta Bellows III and a slide copier attachment that I used on my 5N a few times. I think the quality was ok (with the absolute minimum of effort and terrible lighting) but it was hard to get the right reproduction ratio, with the 50mm 1.7 it starts at almost 1:1 (too much for APS-C) and I bought a 135 to get out to 1:3 but it turned out that was still with like a half meter minimum focus distance so it wouldn't work with the slide copier. The manual doesn't list focus distances for the lenses and the 50mm was good enough to get my Nishika pictures onto the computer so I never investigated further, and now I don't have a NEX and do have a film scanner.

The slide copier was definitely faster, though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Amazon and presumably others are selling the NEX-F3 with kit 18-55 plus 50-200mm for $650. Basically $150 extra for the zoom lens, which is not bad. I picked up an NX200 over the summer for $500 and the Samsung 50-200mm for $150, so this seems to be a similar deal - although the Samsung one was more remarkable for being available in the desolate wasteland of price gouging and ridiculous markups that is Canada.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Beastruction posted:

I have a Minolta Bellows III and a slide copier attachment that I used on my 5N a few times. I think the quality was ok (with the absolute minimum of effort and terrible lighting) but it was hard to get the right reproduction ratio, with the 50mm 1.7 it starts at almost 1:1 (too much for APS-C) and I bought a 135 to get out to 1:3 but it turned out that was still with like a half meter minimum focus distance so it wouldn't work with the slide copier. The manual doesn't list focus distances for the lenses and the 50mm was good enough to get my Nishika pictures onto the computer so I never investigated further, and now I don't have a NEX and do have a film scanner.

The slide copier was definitely faster, though.

I built one at my old job around a 5D2, eBay macro rail, and a 90mm Vivitar Series 1 Macro + slide copier in OM mount, worked pretty well. Doesn't really help you though :v:

Slide Digitization Station by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I finally did it and ordered a Fuji Xpro1 and 35mm 1.4. Going to swap around my gear for the new year, probably another year of minimalism so that I actually get back to shooting.

Fuji xpro
35 1.4
24 TS/E for whatever canon body(s) I end up keeping
light meter + flashes

Considering downgrading my 5d2 to a 5dc.

Gurz
Sep 9, 2000
THE 12" DILDO IN MY ASS IS ONLY A PLACEHOLDER FOR PULSATING HOT COCKS
I have a few m43 lenses, and a lot of adaptable legacy lenses, so right now my perfect camera would have

- IBIS
- Focus Peaking
- (E)ViewFinder
- Great Sensor of course

something between a Nex-7 and the OM-D. 2013 must be my year.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Gurz posted:

I have a few m43 lenses, and a lot of adaptable legacy lenses, so right now my perfect camera would have

- IBIS
- Focus Peaking
- (E)ViewFinder
- Great Sensor of course

something between a Nex-7 and the OM-D. 2013 must be my year.

You can hope that Olympus releases a firmware that unlocks focus peaking in the OM-D.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

X-Pro1 with 35mm came in today! Some first impressions, my perspective being that I've been using an X100 for over a year now:

• The camera is slightly longer than the X100, but not much thicker or taller, the biggest difference being that the lens sticks out more. Also, the weight is surprisingly similar between the two cameras.
  • Better dials/buttons on the X-Pro1, way better rear dial then that stupid thing on the back of the X100 that you'd have to flick in order to change some of the settings.
  • The aperture ring on the lens doesn't really have nice solid click when changing the settings, it's not really a big deal but I just found it quite odd when handeling it. I do like that it clicks in 1/3 stops now as compared to the X100 which was full stops, where you'd have to use one of the dials in the back after using the ring in the front in order to adjust by 1/3 stops.
  • The viewfinder looks a bit smaller than the X100's, it's still bright an clear though.
  • AF speed feels noticeably faster, not only that, but it seems that it'll have an easier time focusing on closer items even with the OVF.

Overall, it really feels like a beefed up X100, lots of performance tweaks and still has the same quirks.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does anyone here have the Sigma E-mount 19mm? I'm wondering if it as sharp as the 30mm - I love that thing to death.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I don't, but Kurt Munger really likes his copy and I trust his reviews.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

rio posted:

Does anyone here have the Sigma E-mount 19mm? I'm wondering if it as sharp as the 30mm - I love that thing to death.

I don't have the 30mm, but the 19mm is as sharp as any of my Leica lenses. It's more prone to CA and distortion, but whatever, easily fixed in LR. If you like 28mm FOV, get it, $200 well spent.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

rio posted:

Don't have it, bought a 30mm because people said it was better than the 19 and I like both FOVs. It's a pretty awesome lens though, especially for the price.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks for the advice regarding the 19mm e-mount. I think I might snag it at some point but will wait for now.

Another question, any NEX 5N people have the EVF? I have gotten fairly good at ballparking focus with peaking on the screen but still feel like I might do better with the evf. Also I do prefer composition with a viewfinder, for the past year since I have been considering it though I always tell myself that the money could go to lenses...but alternatively something like 50 1.8 I would not need to think about as much if I were a bit quicker and more accurate manual focusing with my k or fd mount 50s.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

rio posted:

Thanks for the advice regarding the 19mm e-mount. I think I might snag it at some point but will wait for now.

Another question, any NEX 5N people have the EVF? I have gotten fairly good at ballparking focus with peaking on the screen but still feel like I might do better with the evf. Also I do prefer composition with a viewfinder, for the past year since I have been considering it though I always tell myself that the money could go to lenses...but alternatively something like 50 1.8 I would not need to think about as much if I were a bit quicker and more accurate manual focusing with my k or fd mount 50s.

Not having the 50/1.8 E pretty much eradicates your reason to have a NEX. Stabilized fast glass is a godsend. It really is that good a lens.

I had the EVF when I had my 5N, I don't know if I would re-buy it if I had another non EVF NEX. It's a great finder and does a wonderful job for helping focus, but it eats up your only spot for a flash, so you have to constantly make the choice - EVF or flash. Really, if you're looking at dropping the nearly $300 the EVF will set you back, you would be better served trading in your 5n body and ponying up for a NEX 6 body - then you'd have EVF, built-in flash, and a standard hotshoe to boot. I have to wonder how much longer the non-EVF NEX body style will continue, I know they sell a lot and there's an audience for them certainly, but once you have had the luxury of trying that EVF in a far better body, it's hard to justify the lower-end NEX models from anything other than the most frugal of standpoints.

TL/DR: EVF = GOOD, NEX 6 = BETTER, 50/1.8E = WORTH IT

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 13, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Got to play with my Xpro1 & 35 1.4 today a bit. Upset that it doesn't have a minimum shutter speed setting like the x100- and due to the size/weight/balance I will likely always have the shutter set to 1/250, on auto iso (6400) and alter my aperture as needed.

On auto ISO with an aperture set, the shutter speed chosen for the 35 is 1/50~ which is not nearly high enough for me to get a high % of stable shots.

It's kind of awkward sized actually-- big and solid, yet smaller than a dSLR by quite a margin. I think I'll like it though, I'm pretty happy with it so far.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I've found that I can handhold the X-Pro down to 1/15 shutter speed with the 35mm with no problems thanks to the lack of that DSLR mirror slap. Of course that's no good for most moving subjects but it's nice for water.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Shmoogy posted:

Got to play with my Xpro1 & 35 1.4 today a bit. Upset that it doesn't have a minimum shutter speed setting like the x100- and due to the size/weight/balance I will likely always have the shutter set to 1/250, on auto iso (6400) and alter my aperture as needed.

On auto ISO with an aperture set, the shutter speed chosen for the 35 is 1/50~ which is not nearly high enough for me to get a high % of stable shots.

It's kind of awkward sized actually-- big and solid, yet smaller than a dSLR by quite a margin. I think I'll like it though, I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Watch out for situations where you move from a dark environment to a bright one, sometimes ISO 200 and 1/125s still lets in too much light.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

alkanphel posted:

You can hope that Olympus releases a firmware that unlocks focus peaking in the OM-D.
It's a crying shame anyone still makes bodies with live view but no peaking in YOOL 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

evil_bunnY posted:

It's a crying shame anyone still makes bodies with live view but no peaking in YOOL 2012

Pentax K-01 supremacy :smug:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Despair posted:

Pentax's astrophotography mode is actually awesome. They use the sensor shake-table to pan the sensor as the Earth rotates, so you can do long exposures without a tracker. As cool as the NEX system is, I do wish they'd managed to cram in an image-stabilized sensor. I think Sony sells Pentax the sensor anyway, why is Olympus the only company with a short-register shake-sensor mirrorless?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pentax's astrophotography mode is actually awesome. They use the sensor shake-table to pan the sensor as the Earth rotates, so you can do long exposures without a tracker. As cool as the NEX system is, I do wish they'd managed to cram in an image-stabilized sensor. I think Sony sells Pentax the sensor anyway, why is Olympus the only company with a short-register shake-sensor mirrorless?

oh my god that is so cool

edit:
why doesnt olympus do that
or focus peaking

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Miso Beno posted:

edit:
or focus peaking

Because Olympus spent all their time doing things that look good but perform ok, while pentax spent their time making things that work great but look like complete utter poo poo.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Mr. Despair posted:

...and they're finally starting to get cheap. $316 on B&H right now is p tempting. Something uglier and more awkward than my old GF1 but dat sensor. :swoon:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Startyde posted:

...and they're finally starting to get cheap. $316 on B&H right now is p tempting. Something uglier and more awkward than my old GF1 but dat sensor. :swoon:

There is a k-01 body for 282 bucks, used but the item is fulfilled by amazon (with warranty and all that)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0076396OA/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1355428239&sr=8-1&keywords=pentax+k-01&condition=used

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Miso Beno posted:

edit:
or focus peaking

You do need to have the GPS tracker mounted before you can do that, but it's a really cool and in hindsight obvious application of the shake table.

Mr. Despair posted:

There is a k-01 body for 282 bucks, used but the item is fulfilled by amazon (with warranty and all that)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0076396OA/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1355428239&sr=8-1&keywords=pentax+k-01&condition=used

Nope, it's eligible for an aftermarket warranty but it doesn't have manufacturer's warranty.

Startyde posted:

... That's actually getting to the price range where I could justify it as a gimmick camera for the astrophotography thing. Good thing NEX-5Ns are still running so cheap, and would let me do a lot more manual glass.

I rarely shoot anything autofocus anymore, and I've been looking for easier use of my manual focus lenses. I've been thinking about replacing my 40D with SOMETHING, but I've been torn between a couple options. If I went with a Nikon SLR (D200 or something), I could get native access to a library of manual lenses without having to do manual-mode metering (the split-prism screen fucks things up on my 40D). It would also leave me with a full native library of lenses, but I wouldn't be able to mount my Pentax glass and have it hit infinity.

The NEX-5N is really tempting and they're getting super cheap. It's a hell of a camera and would open up a lot of short-register SLR and rangefinder glass, but would stick me with focus peaking and stop-down metering instead of open-aperture. There is also a specific dive case for it that I'm seriously interested in as a "someday" purchase.

Finally, there's the K-01. That long register distance sucks rear end, but the astro mode is really cool and I have a moderate library of quality K-mount manual glass that would be good with green-button metering.

I'm thinking of moving to a D200 in the short term and a full-frame NEX in the long term once they hit the market and start to drop in price a bit, or possibly NEX-5N in the short term and eventually a dive case, but all three of them have their own advantages. :(

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 13, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I was just talking about the 30 day amazon return policy, sorry about that. Warranty was the wrong term.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
Rumor has it that we'll see an X100 successor announced in January with Fuji's X-Trans sensor. I just sprung for an XE-1, I'm hoping the X200 or whatever it winds being called doesn't make me wish I had held out.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

moonduck posted:

Rumor has it that we'll see an X100 successor announced in January with Fuji's X-Trans sensor. I just sprung for an XE-1, I'm hoping the X200 or whatever it winds being called doesn't make me wish I had held out.

That would be a little upsetting to me too because I loved my X100, and a fixed version of that would potentially be my ideal camera. Still super excited about my XPro1 though.

e: But if it's just what I'm looking for, around the same price point, I'd have no problem selling whatever to swap to it.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Shmoogy posted:

That would be a little upsetting to me too because I loved my X100, and a fixed version of that would potentially be my ideal camera. Still super excited about my XPro1 though.

e: But if it's just what I'm looking for, around the same price point, I'd have no problem selling whatever to swap to it.

I hope Fuji looks long and hard at their lineup and what they'd consider their competition. The X100 successor should be looking at the Sony RX1 as its' main competition, and with that in mind, I'd like to see them really take that bold next step into the future with the X system. They don't need to rush into FF with the X-PRO/XE series, but why not go there with the fixed lens X series? It would pave the way for the technology to filter down to the interchangeable lens models at a later date.

My wish list:

*20-24mp X-Trans Full Frame sensor
*35/1.4 Fujinon lens with similar software crop zoom modes like Sony is doing with the RX1
*Hybrid CDAF/PDAF, driving a linear focus motor like the new Fujinon 18-55 uses
*MF Clutch similar to the Olympus 12mm and new 17mm manual focusing action
*Distance/Scale markings on the lens for all focus modes
*FOCUS PEAKING
*Min/Max ISO controls for auto-ISO with user controllable Min/Max shutter speeds
*Better control layout, especially with regards to AF selection layout
*Better ergonomics - build a thumbs-up style catch into the top case so the hot shoe can be used by a flash without trading off handling
*More film modes in software - where's my ACROS?
*Sub $2500 price

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

krackmonkey posted:

I hope Fuji looks long and hard at their lineup and what they'd consider their competition. The X100 successor should be looking at the Sony RX1 as its' main competition, and with that in mind, I'd like to see them really take that bold next step into the future with the X system. They don't need to rush into FF with the X-PRO/XE series, but why not go there with the fixed lens X series? It would pave the way for the technology to filter down to the interchangeable lens models at a later date.

My wish list:

*20-24mp X-Trans Full Frame sensor
*35/1.4 Fujinon lens with similar software crop zoom modes like Sony is doing with the RX1
*Hybrid CDAF/PDAF, driving a linear focus motor like the new Fujinon 18-55 uses
*MF Clutch similar to the Olympus 12mm and new 17mm manual focusing action
*Distance/Scale markings on the lens for all focus modes
*FOCUS PEAKING
*Min/Max ISO controls for auto-ISO with user controllable Min/Max shutter speeds
*Better control layout, especially with regards to AF selection layout
*Better ergonomics - build a thumbs-up style catch into the top case so the hot shoe can be used by a flash without trading off handling
*More film modes in software - where's my ACROS?
*Sub $2500 price

I'm not sure what the point of going full frame would be for Fujifilm at this point. They have the X-Pro 1 and the XE-1 that have both sold really well and you have a new lens mount associated (XF). Then they have a nice lens roadmap and they're struggling to meet that (14mm has been delayed a little to focus on 18-55 that's selling like hotcakes). If they were to develop a full frame sensor for an X100 replacement you'd imagine there would be a full frame X-Pro 1 coming soon and that would mean a new lens mount.

I'm not sure what the X100 replacement would be like, surely an XE1 with an upcoming 27mm pancake would be pretty similar.