Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

muscles like this? posted:

Originally the ending was a little more talky and political. The two aliens in the restaurant were different factions and were negotiating a peace treaty that "Edgar" didn't want to happen. The ending also didn't involve any fight scene between J, K and "Edgar." They were supposed to all sit down and talk out their problems, this scene was originally going to use an animatronic version of the bug instead of the CG one used in the movie.

Wow, usually when I hear something didn't get past test audiences I immediately assume its better than what we ended up getting but that sounds pretty out of place and boring. I quite like the ending to MiB actually v :) v

Ez has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Nov 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Barudak posted:

Well that's unequivocally terrible compared to the ending we got so go test audiences.

Yeah, I'll take Tommy Lee Jones being eaten by a giant alien cockroach over peace talks.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

RandomFerret posted:

Maybe it was supposed to be a humourous anticlimax. We think they're gearing up for a big showdown and instead they sit down for an existentialist diplomatic debate with a giant mass-murdering space roach. Once you get all the sci-fi stuff out of the way, 90% of the job is paperwork.

Yeah, I can almost see it working as a callback to the paperwork J was complaining about having to do when he's introduced.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing is, having a big dumb fight scene where they just end up killing the bad guy is exactly the kind of stuff they were making fun of earlier in the movie.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The thing is, having a big dumb fight scene where they just end up killing the bad guy is exactly the kind of stuff they were making fun of earlier in the movie.

I keep coming up with more and more reasons why (as Wikipedia puts it) a "humorous existential debate between Agent J and the Bug" would have been way better.

It would've fit in better tonally, it would've been like K talking to the alien in the beginning before he flips out, and it would've been a better expression of how J approached the situation with the shooting range.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Originally the ending was a little more talky and political. The two aliens in the restaurant were different factions and were negotiating a peace treaty that "Edgar" didn't want to happen. The ending also didn't involve any fight scene between J, K and "Edgar." They were supposed to all sit down and talk out their problems, this scene was originally going to use an animatronic version of the bug instead of the CG one used in the movie.

Maybe if someone is a bureaucrat or a heavy paper pusher that would be amusing but that was 1997's(I think, 98 maybe?) summer block buster action movie. It needed aliens getting torn the gently caress up at some point.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Be kinda like Indiana Jones practicing what he taught at the start of The Last Crusade, and finding the Ark of the Covenant through careful research, painstaking excavation and recording, and otherwise consummate archaeological work.

Y'know, like his dad almost did.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, the problem with Men in Black is that it kind of falls apart by the end because the original ending tested poorly. So everything involving the "galaxy" got kind of thrown together through last minute reshoots and rewrites.

Oddly enough a similar thing happened with MiB2 which is why they go from looking for a thing to all of a sudden looking for a person.

Wait, that was a rewrite in 2? I thought it was just a twist.

What was Rosario Dawson's character before that, then?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Waffles Inc. posted:

I keep coming up with more and more reasons why (as Wikipedia puts it) a "humorous existential debate between Agent J and the Bug" would have been way better.

It would've fit in better tonally, it would've been like K talking to the alien in the beginning before he flips out, and it would've been a better expression of how J approached the situation with the shooting range.

Yeah, but it's a sci-if comedy movie for kids.

EDIT: Also, he's a big giant cockroach monster that eats people. It kinda makes sense he wouldn't be too keen on a sit down discussion about intergalactic ethics.

Ez has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Nov 27, 2012

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
J failed the entrance exams across the board. He only got in because K pushed for him after hearing that J chased down a Cephalapoid on foot. K pushes for him because J is an outsider like K was when the Men in Black started, which is important because K is ultimately looking for his replacement.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Chef Bromden posted:

J failed the entrance exams across the board. He only got in because K pushed for him after hearing that J chased down a Cephalapoid on foot. K pushes for him because J is an outsider like K was when the Men in Black started, which is important because K is ultimately looking for his replacement.

Are you spoiling plot points from Men in Black 1?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chef Bromden posted:

Don't forget the additional motivation MiB3 introduced as well.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

That DICK! posted:

Are you spoiling plot points from Men in Black 1?

I did, and I'm not the only one to have done so. Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Chef Bromden posted:

I did, and I'm not the only one to have done so. Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

I think he means that you don't really need spoiler tags anymore. No need to be so smug about it.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Yeah, I'll take Tommy Lee Jones being eaten by a giant alien cockroach over peace talks.

The mind races with all the possibilities that spoiler tag allows for...

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
*this is not quotes thread

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just remembered one from Galaxy Quest. Alexander Dane is the movie's Leonard Nimoy stand-in - an ambitious actor who's best and often only remembered for playing an alien in a science fiction show, and who loathes it but he's stuck with it and has to sit out countless conventions, repeating the same sickening catch phrase and wearing the same uniform and make-up prosthetics. Only instead of Spock's ears he has those sort of fins on his head.

He never takes those off during the whole movie. Not even when he's at home - the most we get is seeing his hair poke out from under the edges. He's seriously unable to shake that role.

I haven't seen it in years, I bet I'm actually misremembering that :ohdear:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just remembered one from Galaxy Quest. Alexander Dane is the movie's Leonard Nimoy stand-in - an ambitious actor who's best and often only remembered for playing an alien in a science fiction show, and who loathes it but he's stuck with it and has to sit out countless conventions, repeating the same sickening catch phrase and wearing the same uniform and make-up prosthetics. Only instead of Spock's ears he has those sort of fins on his head.

He never takes those off during the whole movie. Not even when he's at home - the most we get is seeing his hair poke out from under the edges. He's seriously unable to shake that role.

I haven't seen it in years, I bet I'm actually misremembering that :ohdear:

It has been ages for me, too. I thought his prosthetic forehead got damaged in the climactic battle scene and you were able to see a lot of his hair.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aleph Null posted:

It has been ages for me, too. I thought his prosthetic forehead got damaged in the climactic battle scene and you were able to see a lot of his hair.

Yeah, that was representative of his character arc paying off.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And Sigourney Weaver's fantastic breasts?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus posted:

And Sigourney Weaver's fantastic breasts?

They save the entire ship in a deleted scene.

I'm not even kidding.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Nov 29, 2012

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The save the entire ship in a deleted scene.

I'm not even kidding.

Jesus how did she look that good at 50 years old

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow, I never saw Galaxy Quest, and I also didn't realize Sigourney Weaver was that stacked.

:stare:

She'll always be Dana Barrett to me.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow, I never saw Galaxy Quest, and I also didn't realize Sigourney Weaver was that stacked.

:stare:

She'll always be Dana Barrett to me.

I like her because she sleeps above the covers . . . four feet above the covers.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
This was right after she got breast implants, so there was some incentive to show them off.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Not sure if this is a subtle moment or a crackpot theory, but I just watched Timecrimes and noticed something interesting. When Hector asks the scientist why he activated the time machine in the first place, he gives a fairly vague answer about wanting to see it in action before they formally try it out in three months. It's kind of glossed over and evasive. It always bugged me that they couldn't come up with a better reason for that. I only noticed it this time round.

It's Saturday evening. Motherfucker was trying to get the lottery numbers.

Niiice Hat
Jan 12, 2012
I love how in Aliens, Ripley uses that machine thing in the begining, then in the end she uses it to fight the queen.
I don't think thats really subtle though, it IS pretty obvious.

Atticus Bongman
Oct 12, 2009

Niiice Hat posted:

I love how in Aliens, Ripley uses that machine thing in the begining, then in the end she uses it to fight the queen.

Just one more in a long line of Chekhov's Machine Things

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Niiice Hat posted:

Atticus Bongman posted:

Since when did ham-handed foreshadowing become a meme/trope?

*edit* I'm not trying to threadshit or anything. I can see how badly done foreshadowing can be a throw away joke or something like that if it's done poorly/frequently enough, but I don't see how it's a subtle moment. Ripley, being essentially a futuristic industrial truck driver, obviously knows how to use a futuristic forklift; showing it is important for the benefit of an audience who would otherwise jeer at the screen and demand to know where she learned to use the drat thing. I prefer the (related to deleted scenes or the director's cut) bits that show Ripley's maternal side insofar as latching onto Newt and empathizing with the alien queen in relation to the guilt/loss of outliving her own daughter while locked in long-term suspended animation.

*edit2* :goonsay:

Just reread what I wrote and... goddamn.

A Terrible Person has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Dec 8, 2012

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Atticus Bongman posted:

RZA's movie The Man With the Iron Fists does a clever version of this. As narrator, RZA makes a big deal of the fact that the approaching government troops have a gatling gun. Then the climactic action scene ends with the gun being stopped just before it begins firing. It never actually fires at any point in the movie. I thought it was clever, at least

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A Terrible Person posted:

Since when did ham-handed foreshadowing become a meme/trope?

Since at least the early 20th Century, when y'know, they came up with "Chekov's Gun" based on the playright Anton Chekov saying that if you show a gun hanging on the mantleplace in act one it should fire before the end of act three.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

More specifically, it's if you place the gun there as part of a scene, or refer to it in one.

It's not about set dressing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They save the entire ship in a deleted scene.

I'm not even kidding.

Goddamn, this is one of my favorite movies and yet I never noticed that that's Rainn Wilson as a Termite at 0:27 :psyduck:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sagebrush posted:

Goddamn, this is one of my favorite movies and yet I never noticed that that's Rainn Wilson as a Termite at 0:27 :psyduck:

It's okay, judging by some of the earlier comments you're probably not the only goon to be distracted by Sigourney Weaver's rack for 15 entire years.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I think Squeak from BASEketball is in there too somewhere.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Okay, this is likely just coincidence/not on purpose, but I noticed it and thought I'd toss it up here for speculation.

In Catch Me If You Can Leo DiCaprio's character is eventually caught in France and sits in a French jail for months (I think 6) before the extradition process is complete and he is given over to Handratty (Tom Hanks's character) to be returned to America.

In Inception, early in the movie when Leo DiCaprio's character visits his dad in France to find a new architect, Michael Cane's character asks if it's safe for Leo to be there, to which he responds, "nah, extradition between France and America is a bureaucratic nightmare", and Cane responds, "I think they might find a way, in your case".

So, possibly a callback/reference, possibly a simple coincidence. But it's there.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Niiice Hat posted:

Demolition Man was even better because they introduced the cryogenic laser cannon for the sole purpose of giving Wesley Snipes a second future laser gun.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
In planes trains and automobiles when steve martin has his first interaction with john candy there is a short clip of a dirty ny city puddle with a shower curtain ring floating in it. Later on in the movie we very briefly see steve playing with his balls waiting for candy who arrives in a semi truck. :allears:

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
There are a ton of great subtle moments in Robocop. I love how all of the police cars scrape on the ramp out of their garage, which is just a great detail, intentional or not. Also, if you pay attention to the scenes portraying television and how the characters in Robocop react to it, you notice a bunch of scenes where people talk about the 6000SUX or the "I'd buy that for a dollar" guy, but there's only one offhand mention of the civil war in Mexico, and no mention of a defense satellite misfiring and killing several thousand people.

Finally, from the ED-209 demonstration to the final scene of the movie, at least several weeks, if not months pass. The loaded handgun is sitting in the OCP board room the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

In planes trains and automobiles when steve martin has his first interaction with john candy there is a short clip of a dirty ny city puddle with a shower curtain ring floating in it. Later on in the movie we very briefly see steve playing with his balls waiting for candy who arrives in a semi truck. :allears:

I understand every word in this sentence, even when you failed to use proper loving capitalization, and yet it is still utterly meaningless.