Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN

mks5000 posted:

Shadow_gamer: Del Ennis scares be because of his inability to take a walk. I decline.

How about Richie Ashburn in Ennis' place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

mks5000 posted:

Sorry, Smasher scared me off Shoeless Joe for good.
Hey, i've got a Spud Davis. Would you take him and Carlos Beltran for the same Jeter/pick deal?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

mks5000 posted:

Sorry, Smasher scared me off Shoeless Joe for good.

He did so... dishonestly. Shoeless Joe is one of the all-time greats.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

BrooklynBruiser posted:

He did so... dishonestly. Shoeless Joe is one of the all-time greats.

Did I? Let's think about that, shall we? The crux of the trade comes down to Jeter for Jackson. (I think either of your catchers for a pick is a bum deal to, but let's ignore that for now.)

Let's compare Jeter and Jackson as players. Jackson is a great hitter, as long and you're happy with a corner outfield hitting about five home runs a year. Jackson is a good contact hitter but, in the Super-League, he's not going to hit .350, he's probably going to top out at .310, which is fine, but it's not great when you never hit home runs. He's also a brutal fielder.

Jeter, on the other hand, isn't much a fielder either, but he's quasi-competent at shortstop, a much tougher position. Also, he's actually a good hitting shortstop, even in the Super-League, and you can check around the other owners to see how rare that is.

And yeah, 1995 Jeter is young, but so is 1910 Jackson. Realistically, it is much easier to find a player like Jackson on the trade market than a guy like Jeter. No dishonesty, just a fair warning.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Challenge for the Mystery Box! Web 2.0 vs San Juan!

: And welcome to this special Super-League presentation of this best-of-seven challenge series between the Expansion Cup Champion Web 2.0 Bloggers and the San Juan Elephants! Yoshida, what are your thoughts?
: I'm confused...and a little hungry...what's happening exactly?
: The Bloggers cashed in their Money in the Bank Contract to challenge the Elephants for the rights to the Mystery Box.
: The Money in the Bank Contract?
: It allows the holder to issue a best-of-seven challenge for any championship in the Super-League.
: That's a thing?
: It is now!
: And the Mystery Box?
: Is a Mystery Box.
: But what's in the box?
: No one knows...but if the Elephants win, tatankatonk has vowed to open the box! Okay, enough prologue! Let's do this!

: Radbourn makes his first start in Super-League competition, and he'll get a complete game victory, and that has to hearten Mornacale.
: Wait, the Mystery Box counts as a championship you can challenge for?
: According to Rule 86(e), it is.

: Babe Herman with a 10th inning blast, and the Bloggers take a 2-0 lead, and they're looking good out there.
: One would think that part of that might have to do with the Elephants' infield defense, which is pretty rough.
: It's definitely an infield geared heavily towards offense, I'll give you that.

: Big comeback for the Elephants, and they'll close their deficit in the series to 2-1.
: Hard to deny the Elephants have a great offense, you just wonder about whether all of the pieces fit together as well as they could.
: Then again, it's only been three games, so who knows how it will all shake out in the regular season.

: Bloggers win a barnburner, and with three one-run contests in the first four games of this series, these teams appear to be relatively evenly-matched.
: They sure do, and with Old Hoss Radbourn on tap for the fifth game of this series, tatankatonk has to feel nervous about the way things are going.

: And Radbourn wins again, and the Bloggers will take this series in five games!
: Radbourn really made the difference in this series, and that bodes well for the Bloggers in Super-League VIII, especially since the rest of their rotation is so weak.

: And with the Bloggers now holding the Mystery Box, Mornacale has vowed to keep the box sealed until a later date! When will the Super-League finally learn the amazing secret of the Mystery Box? No one can say...

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Mornacale posted:

e2: BearDrivingTruck, what would it take to pry Yount and/or your pick from you?

I'm willing to part with Yount, but I'd like a reliable infielder/catcher in return. Someone who will hit the ball (preferably for average instead of power) at a respectable rate, and has a good glove. Possibly a starting pitcher in the same vein-- someone who gets guys out.

I understand if that's unresonable-- I haven't been involved in the trading game here because historically, I'm prone to making unreasonable demands and/or dumb decisions. I once traded a Machamp card for a Dewgong in elementary school, and all the other kids said I was a complete moron (which I was).

edit: When I say infielder, I mean excluding first basemen. I have two good ones already.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 7, 2012

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I've learned not to trust anybody that anyone offers me in trade because I assume they're invariably players that Mogul hates with a fiery passion

And apparently Dick Allen must be good considering he's the only loving person people are inquiring about in deals

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I'm willing to part with Yount, but I'd like a reliable infielder/catcher in return. Someone who will hit the ball (preferably for average instead of power) at a respectable rate, and has a good glove. Possibly a starting pitcher in the same vein-- someone who gets guys out.

I understand if that's unresonable-- I haven't been involved in the trading game here because historically, I'm prone to making unreasonable demands and/or dumb decisions. I once traded a Machamp card for a Dewgong in elementary school, and all the other kids said I was a complete moron (which I was).

edit: When I say infielder, I mean excluding first basemen. I have two good ones already.

I still in the market for a shortstop, and if Yount's pre-1985 or so, he'll do.

I can offer you 2B Nellie Fox, 1948 vintage. Fox was known for his glove during his major league career, and he hit for a .300 average and a .342 OBP in Super League VI. He's not going to hit for any power at all, but he'll play quality defense and get on base some. I'll also throw in my backup catcher, 1946 Sherm Lollar. He was also a quality defender who'd get on base some. He hasn't played regularly for me previously in the Super League, so I can't tell you how he'll perform, but I expect he won't be terrible, though he won't be particularly great either.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

BearDrivingTruck posted:

1968 Bill Freehan is an okay but quite unspectacular C. 2004 Jason Kendall had an elite hit tool (for a C), and Mogul doesn't know about his injuries that made him decline heavily after this season. George Grantham is a 2B that'll put up a pretty good average and some pop. Luis Aparicio will not hit at all, but his glove is elite at any infield position (I presume, definitely at SS). Mickey Lolich is a pretty good SP who just pitched a gem for me in that challenge; he'd be my second-best SP if not for my groundballer ways. I've also got some other SPs that could be worth a flier if you want to look at my spreadsheet.

Anyway, I'm not going to lie to you and say that any one of these is as good as Yount, but if there's a package you like I can make it happen.

e: And I'm also interested in your pick.

CraigK posted:

I've learned not to trust anybody that anyone offers me in trade because I assume they're invariably players that Mogul hates with a fiery passion

And apparently Dick Allen must be good considering he's the only loving person people are inquiring about in deals

I'm inquiring about A-Rod. Is there some way to chat with you in real-time? Would you be interested in a 3-way deal with mks5000 (his Jeter to you, your A-Rod to me, my somethings to someones)?

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 7, 2012

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Oh, plus of course I have this:

You know, if anyone's interested.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Mornacale posted:

I'm inquiring about A-Rod. Is there some way to chat with you in real-time? Would you be interested in a 3-way deal with mks5000 (his Jeter to you, your A-Rod to me, my somethings to someones)?

Nah, I'm keeping him at least until the season starts. I'm happy he fell to me, he should give me bunches of dingers and an okay walk rate and (here's the important part) okay defense in my middle infield.

And if I know how Let's Make A Deal works, there's always a giant useless donkey zonk in the mystery box, so trade it before someone finds out that it's 2011 Adam Dunn in there

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

CraigK posted:

Trade it for someone's 2011 Adam Dunn

Like mine!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Super-League VIII Roster:

Lineup vs. LHP

LF Zack Wheat '11
2B Joe Morgan '75
DH Jack Clark '85
RF Chuck Klein '36
1B Jack Clark '82
CF Bob Elliott '40
SS Arky Vaughan '40
C Buster Posey '11
3B Buddy Bell '83

vs. RHP

LF Zack Wheat '11
2B Joe Morgan '75
DH Miguel Cabrera '04
RF Chuck Klein '36
1B Joey Votto '07
CF Bob Elliott '40
SS Arky Vaughan '40
C Buster Posey '11
3B Wade Boggs '97

Bench
Platooned players plus
Carlos Beltran '11
Ivan Rodriguez '98

Rotation:

Tim Lincecum '11
Madison Bumgarner '11
Babe Adams '19
Matt Cain '11
Josh Beckett '11

Ivan Rodriguez is personal catcher for Babe Adams.

Bullpen:

CL Sergio Romo '11
SU Pat Dobson '68
SR Brian Wilson '11
SR Rudy Seanez '04
MR Gregg Olson '97
LR Wilbur Cooper '19

Minors:
Mike Sweeney '97
Rafael Furcal '01
Joe Gordon '75
Pablo Sandoval '11
Brandon Belt '11
Ryan Vogelsong '11
Johnny Damon '97

Home Park: The Quadrangle (Dimensionally equivalent to Citi Field), Milton Keynes, UK.

Strategy;

Hit and Run: 0
Sacrifice Bunt: 0
Squeeze Play: -2
Trying for extra bases: 1
Stealing Bases: 0
Aggressively Tagging Up: 0
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): -1
Giving Intentional Walks: +2
Pitching Around Good Hitters: +2
Bringing the Infield In: -1
Guarding the Lines: -2
Making Cutoff Throws: -2
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: -1
Bringing in Pinch Runners: -1
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: -2
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: -2
Letting pitchers pitch through trouble: 0
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: -1

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 12, 2012

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Wait, you took the '11 White Sox and said to yourself, "hell yeah, I want me some of that sweet 54 OPS+ DH action"?

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

CraigK posted:

Wait, you took the '11 White Sox and said to yourself, "hell yeah, I want me some of that sweet 54 OPS+ DH action"?
Seems like the sort of unlikely implosion not apt to repeat in future iterations of that season... ended up keeping him at AAA for all of the EC anyway, so now I don't even know.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Yeah, since BBM models players based on the overall arc of their career, one-year statlines are not super meaningful.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

mrnoun posted:

I can offer you 2B Nellie Fox, 1948 vintage. Fox was known for his glove during his major league career, and he hit for a .300 average and a .342 OBP in Super League VI. He's not going to hit for any power at all, but he'll play quality defense and get on base some. I'll also throw in my backup catcher, 1946 Sherm Lollar. He was also a quality defender who'd get on base some. He hasn't played regularly for me previously in the Super League, so I can't tell you how he'll perform, but I expect he won't be terrible, though he won't be particularly great either.

My Yount is from 1982. This offer sounds intriguing.

Mornacale posted:

e: And I'm also interested in your pick.

That depends on which pick (3rd round or supplemental).

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Makes sense. Didn't realize BBM took previous years seasons of the player into account.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Let me make the offer official, then:

Luna Landers offer:

1948 Nellie Fox
1946 Sherm Lollar

Albany Pessimists offer:

1982 Robin Yount

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

BearDrivingTruck posted:

That depends on which pick (3rd round or supplemental).

Well both, but obviously I much prefer the 3rd-rounder. My wants are 1) Yount, 2) 3rd round, then the supplemental pick as a distant 3rd.

Also, mrnoun fails to point out that his Nellie Fox is 20 years old, had only 14 MLB plate appearances in 1948, and rolled a 77 in SLVII. His career OPS+ was 93.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

mrnoun posted:

Let me make the offer official, then:

Luna Landers offer:

1948 Nellie Fox
1946 Sherm Lollar

Albany Pessimists offer:

1982 Robin Yount

... I'm sorry if I sound a bit suspicious, but didn't Fox not see much playing time until he was on White Sox (I just check the web)?

Can someone from the thread give me a second opinion?

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

BearDrivingTruck posted:

... I'm sorry if I sound a bit suspicious, but didn't Fox not see much playing time until he was on White Sox (I just check the web)?

Yeah, my Fox is very young, as is my Lollar. Young as he is, though, my Fox has a SL track record: in SL VI, he hit .300 with a .342 OBP while putting up a 22.8 DRAA. He's not gonna be Joe Morgan or Nap LaJoie, but even with a bad roll, he'll be decent. Worst case, he's Second Base Ozzie Smith.

Also, he did that with an OVR of 82/84, so don't put too much faith in OVR.

As for Lollar, he hasn't really played much for me. I could swap in my other backup catcher, Jack Lapp '11, but I think little Lollar is the better bet for you even if Lapp is in his prime.

An alternative solution occurs to me, if you're still gun-shy on the young guys. I do have some depth at starting pitcher, too. Would a 1968 Denny McLain interest you more than Fox?

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Given someone essentially traded 82 Yount for in his prime Ernie Banks earlier this week, I would hope you can do better.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

BearDrivingTruck posted:

He did not play much until the White Sox. Now, you can say that might have been because Connie Mack's wits weren't exactly about him by that point, so he might have been good enough to play in 1948, but, then again, he might not have. He was all of 20 years old in 1948, so it's hard for me to say that he's really ready to be a full-time starter at that point in his career.

Fox is a great fielder, probably the best of his generation. He also could draw walks and hit for contact, although neither of those skills were quite elite. But he has no power, and I mean none. He had a career slugging average of .363 in a relatively high-slugging era, and a grand total of 35 career home runs over 19 seasons.

If you really need a 2B, Fox probably won't kill you, but I'm not sure he'll help a ton either.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

mrnoun posted:

Yeah, my Fox is very young, as is my Lollar. Young as he is, though, my Fox has a SL track record: in SL VI, he hit .300 with a .342 OBP while putting up a 22.8 DRAA. He's not gonna be Joe Morgan or Nap LaJoie, but even with a bad roll, he'll be decent. Worst case, he's Second Base Ozzie Smith.

Also, he did that with an OVR of 82/84, so don't put too much faith in OVR.

As for Lollar, he hasn't really played much for me. I could swap in my other backup catcher, Jack Lapp '11, but I think little Lollar is the better bet for you even if Lapp is in his prime.

An alternative solution occurs to me, if you're still gun-shy on the young guys. I do have some depth at starting pitcher, too. Would a 1968 Denny McLain interest you more than Fox?

How'd your Fox do in SL7?

BearDrivingTruck: My 2B, both my C's, and my pitcher are better than what mrnoun is offering you.

e: Let's make some official offers, pick your favorite or negotiate:

1: 1932 George Grantham + 1968 Bill Freehan/2004 Jason Kendall for 1982 Robin Yount
2: 1932 George Grantham + 1968 Mickey Lolich for 1982 Robin Yount + 1st-round SuperDraft pick/Supplemental Dispersal Draft pick
3: 1932 George Grantham + 1968 Mickey Lolich + 1968 Bill Freehan/2004 Jason Kendall + Supplemental Dispersal Draft pick/2nd-round SuperDraft pick for 1982 Robin Yount + 3rd-round Dispersal Draft pick

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 8, 2012

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Mornacale posted:

How'd your Fox do in SL7?

My Fox didn't play in SL7, because I acquired Eddie loving Collins, who is arguably the best 2B ever.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Mornacale posted:

BearDrivingTruck: My 2B, both my C's, and my pitcher are better than what mrnoun is offering you.

e: Let's make some official offers, pick your favorite or negotiate:

1: 1968 George Grantham + 1968 Bill Freehan/2004 Jason Kendall for 1982 Robin Yount
2: 1968 George Grantham + 1968 Mickey Lolich for 1982 Robin Yount + 1st-round SuperDraft pick/Supplemental Dispersal Draft pick
3: 1968 George Grantham + 1968 Mickey Lolich + 1968 Bill Freehan/2004 Jason Kendall + Supplemental Dispersal Draft pick/2nd-round SuperDraft pick for 1982 Robin Yount + 3rd-round Dispersal Draft pick

...1968 George Grantham? Are you offering me a literal corpse?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Your choices are a 20-year-old and a literal honest-to-god dead guy, make your choice :v:

His Grantham's '32, looks like.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

BearDrivingTruck posted:

...1968 George Grantham? Are you offering me a literal corpse?

Sorry, got my feeders crossed offering you so many '68 Tigers. Grantham's 1932, his age-32 season.

e: In the EC he rolled a 90 OVR and hit for an above-average OBP with some pop (8 dingers I think) and average defense.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 8, 2012

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

CraigK posted:

Your choices are a 20-year-old and a literal honest-to-god dead guy, make your choice :v:

Depends. Do players who have been dead for years get bonuses to their stats?

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Mornacale posted:

Sorry, got my feeders crossed offering you so many '68 Tigers. Grantham's 1932, his age-32 season.

Hmmm. Now I'm seriously considering the first option, with Jason Kendall.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Depends. Do players who have been dead for years get bonuses to their stats?

Even the dark arts that fuel the Super-League have not perfected zombiism.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Hmmm. Now I'm seriously considering the first option, with Jason Kendall.

If it moves you from "seriously considering" to "taking", I'll throw in Noted Lottery Ticket 1964 Wally Bunker. Might not be useful til the end of the season, might not be useful ever, but he threw 200 innings of 134 ERA+ ball that season so ~who knows~. :shobon:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Mornacale posted:

If it moves you from "seriously considering" to "taking", I'll throw in Noted Lottery Ticket 1964 Wally Bunker. Might not be useful til the end of the season, might not be useful ever, but he threw 200 innings of 134 ERA+ ball that season so ~who knows~. :shobon:

I'm probably going to get relegated anyways, so sure! The Albany Pessimists will give up 1982 Robin Yount for 1932 George Grantham, 2004 Jason Kendall, and 1964 Wally Bunker.

Alea iacta est!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Hooray. Bloggers still interested in getting one of the next few draft picks.

e: Bloggers also interested in moving this here 1982 Robin Yount for a superior SS glove. I definitely like Honus, A-Rod, Ripken, and Ozzie better defensively, anyone else you need to convince me. (I could also go for some kind of complicated trade wherein I end up with an SS better than Aparicio and a top 3B or 2B or SP.)

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 8, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I'm probably going to get relegated anyways, so sure! The Albany Pessimists will give up 1982 Robin Yount for 1932 George Grantham, 2004 Jason Kendall, and 1964 Wally Bunker.

Alea iacta est!

You know, the guy who said that was betrayed and stabbed to death.

You sure you want to do that? "Boots" Grantham can't field, Jason Kendall is a living psychic wound, and Wally Bunker won more than 12 games once.

So, uh, this might not be a trade you want to make.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Smasher Dynamo posted:

You sure you want to do that? "Boots" Grantham can't field, Jason Kendall is a living psychic wound, and Wally Bunker won more than 12 games once.

You literally just told me that Jason Kendall was an okay C, and Grantham was an average fielder in EC. :mad:

e: Grantham's fielding is also pretty average by all the available metrics. He commits errors but he has good range.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 8, 2012

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Are there any trades that you've ever approved? On a less smart-assy note, I've already said that I'd make the trade, so I'll do it, unless Mornacle is willing to let it slide. I've got some standards that I hold.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Mornacale posted:

You literally just told me that Jason Kendall was an okay C, and Grantham was an average fielder in EC. :mad:

e: Grantham's fielding is also pretty average by all the available metrics. He commits errors but he has good range.

He's an okay backup, but not as a starter.

And he was called "Boots" Grantham because he was that bad at fielding, and that's not a young Grantham we're talking about either.

BearDrivingTruck

I'd rather have you bitch at me now than bitch at me in the middle of the season as your team is going down in flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

He's an okay backup, but not as a starter.

And he was called "Boots" Grantham because he was that bad at fielding, and that's not a young Grantham we're talking about either.

BearDrivingTruck

I'd rather have you bitch at me now than bitch at me in the middle of the season as your team is going down in flames.

That's a good point, I guess. Mornacale, are you okay with this?