Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kasan posted:

But I come bearing chili :saddowns:.

In seriousness, its not bad. Needs more beef and less most everything else, but still good. I made some beef heart chili a month back and forgot to take pictures of it.

Your chili shows its weakness in your lack of gumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Someone should probably start a "Chili": An original film inspired by a true story thread so this stops happening.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

GrAviTy84 posted:

Someone should probably start a "Chili": An original film inspired by a true story thread so this stops happening.

People should stop being whining manchildren so this stops happening.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008
I do not cut down the spiciness in my chili. If other people can't suck it up and take it, I get to eat more.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Spicy chili is why God made beer.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Heres Hank posted:

I do not cut down the spiciness in my chili. If other people can't suck it up and take it, I get to eat more.

You must have a lot of friends.

Accommodating your guests is pretty much the first rule of being a good host, so cooking for people and not trying to make sure they enjoy what you cook isn't something to be proud of.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 5, 2012

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Kenning posted:

Spicy chili is why God made beer.

Last time I made chili, it was so spicy I couldn't taste my beer at all.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

You must have a lot of friends.

Accommodating your guests is pretty much the first rule of being a good host, so cooking for people and not trying to make sure they enjoy what you cook isn't something to be proud of.

Who says I cook it for them? Is cooking for yourself some kind of evil thing that is the new beans?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Heres Hank posted:

Who says I cook it for them? Is cooking for yourself some kind of evil thing that is the new beans?

Not evil, just makes you look like a toss piece.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Heres Hank posted:

Who says I cook it for them?

Well, you did, when you said:

Heres Hank posted:

If other people can't suck it up and take it, I get to eat more.

When I cook for other people, I try to accommodate them, even if I don't share their tastes. I have an image of you having friends round, watching them sweat and feel miserable because they aren't quite so used to spicy food, smugly saying "hot enough for you?".

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 5, 2012

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I've eaten bean/tomato chili all my life and this past weekend I decided to shed my chains and I tried iron legs recipe on the first page.

My problems. I didnt have any corn meal (bought some today for round two this weekend). Should I be relying on that as the thickener? his recipe was a lot of liquid and came out like...beef soup. Delicious beef soup. What else can I do to thicken it? my cooking method was crock pot for 6 hours on low. That leads me to the next question-- if it thickens up, will that give it a different consistency? because after spooning it into a bowl to eat it was more like slow cooked beef chunks with chunks of pepper. Not that that bothers me.

Help a chili noob out.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

I've eaten bean/tomato chili all my life and this past weekend I decided to shed my chains and I tried iron legs recipe on the first page.

My problems. I didnt have any corn meal (bought some today for round two this weekend). Should I be relying on that as the thickener? his recipe was a lot of liquid and came out like...beef soup. Delicious beef soup. What else can I do to thicken it? my cooking method was crock pot for 6 hours on low. That leads me to the next question-- if it thickens up, will that give it a different consistency? because after spooning it into a bowl to eat it was more like slow cooked beef chunks with chunks of pepper. Not that that bothers me.

Help a chili noob out.

You can rely on a thickener to thicken it, or you can rely on time and evaporation. The latter is preferable usually. More time will turn the chunks of pepper into a mash, which you know I don't know if you like that kind of thing or not. Personally I've been known to take a potato masher to my chili.

Heres Hank
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Well, you did, when you said:

When I cook for other people, I try to accommodate them, even if I don't share their tastes. I have an image of you having friends round, watching them sweat and feel miserable because they aren't quite so used to spicy food, smugly saying "hot enough for you?".

Yeah, no, that was a miscommunication. I was referring to being used to room mates who would eat my leftovers unless I made them so only I could eat them. When I cook FOR other people who can't handle spice, I don't make chili.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

signalnoise posted:

You can rely on a thickener to thicken it, or you can rely on time and evaporation. The latter is preferable usually. More time will turn the chunks of pepper into a mash, which you know I don't know if you like that kind of thing or not. Personally I've been known to take a potato masher to my chili.

Use mild dried peppers (like anchos) as a base. Bring them just to boiling and then run them through a food processor. Use a lot. Like a little under a pound of dried peppers for three pounds of meat.

Dice your fresh hot peppers and put them in. Use powder to adjust the heat/flavor profile.

I've never had a problem with a weird "mash" texture. If you need more liquid, dump in some of the water you boiled the peppers in..

If you have to add a thickener, you haven't put in enough actual ingredients. (in my opinion, obviously).

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

cornface posted:

If you have to add a thickener, you haven't put in enough actual ingredients. (in my opinion, obviously).

That's actually kind of what I felt like. I had several jalapenos, I think an anaheim or two, and a habanero, but there was still way more meat. Where can I get anchos? Or should I just buy poblanos and dry them myself? Any other peppers I can use as a base?

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Bob A Feet posted:

That's actually kind of what I felt like. I had several jalapenos, I think an anaheim or two, and a habanero, but there was still way more meat. Where can I get anchos? Or should I just buy poblanos and dry them myself? Any other peppers I can use as a base?

Where are you at? I'm in Texas so most of the grocery stores have a large selection.

If you find some or make your own, you want them to resemble giant raisins rather than beef jerky. Remove the stems and seeds and throw them in a big pot on the stove and then turn the heat on. As soon as it starts boiling, pull it off the burner and process them. You just want them juicy enough that they will process, since they are going to be cooked for another few hours.

Here's a page that lists some possible substitutions for various chilis.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

cornface posted:

Where are you at? I'm in Texas so most of the grocery stores have a large selection.

If you find some or make your own, you want them to resemble giant raisins rather than beef jerky. Remove the stems and seeds and throw them in a big pot on the stove and then turn the heat on. As soon as it starts boiling, pull it off the burner and process them. You just want them juicy enough that they will process, since they are going to be cooked for another few hours.

Here's a page that lists some possible substitutions for various chilis.

Thanks. I'm in western Florida, in the pan handle. Think somewhere like Publix would have the peppers?

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Bob A Feet posted:

Thanks. I'm in western Florida, in the pan handle. Think somewhere like Publix would have the peppers?

They might. Can't hurt to call and ask or just go browse around.

If not, you might look around for a grocery store or market catering to hispanic or asian customers. They tend to carry a bigger selection of peppers and other ingredients that might be hard to find at the chain grocery stores.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

cornface posted:

They might. Can't hurt to call and ask or just go browse around.

If not, you might look around for a grocery store or market catering to hispanic or asian customers. They tend to carry a bigger selection of peppers and other ingredients that might be hard to find at the chain grocery stores.

You can also order dried chilies in bulk off amazon for pretty cheap.

Here's half a pound: http://www.amazon.com/Ancho-Dried-Whole-chile-Peppers/dp/B002T14AKE

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I read all of this thread before participating, in order to better my lacklustre chili skills, and now I'm almost scared to post a question.

Here goes: Is making chili with chicken flesh acceptable unto the eldritch laws of chilimaking shewed to you by dread Nyarlathothep, or should I despair?

What I really like to know is how well chicken gose with habaneros or like red peppers. Evidently chicken broth is fine, but I have some remains and breast cuts I'd like to make for my roomie who's into chicken.

Tias fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 6, 2012

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tias posted:

I read all of this thread before participating, in order to better my lacklustre chili skills, and now I'm almost scared to post a question.

Here goes: Is making chili with chicken flesh acceptable unto the eldritch laws of chilimaking shewed to you by dread Nyarlathothep, or should I despair?

What I really like to know is how well chicken gose with habaneros or like red peppers. Evidently chicken broth is fine, but I have some remains and breast cuts I'd like to make for my roomie who's into chicken.

If you follow a recipe for chili except substitute chicken for beef, you may come out with a tasty dish but it will not be chili. Just make a chickencheese.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Tias posted:

You'll make something very tasty, just be careful about calling it chili around sensitive people.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Kasan posted:

You can also order dried chilies in bulk off amazon for pretty cheap.

Here's half a pound: http://www.amazon.com/Ancho-Dried-Whole-chile-Peppers/dp/B002T14AKE

Oh, since I'd asked about where to order chilis online a bit earlier in the thread, I should probably say I ended up getting some from TheLatinProducts. I think I spent $18 including shipping to get a pound and a half total of chilis (a bunch of 4oz bags of different types). Not sure how that would compare to other places you might get them, but it's a hell of a lot better than I could do at the grocery stores I go to, which have 1oz packages of chilis for $3 each or something like that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

For fucks sake yes you can use any meat you feel like. Chili con carne, not chili con beef. I'm not going to say chili made with pork shoulder is not chili. What the gently caress

I'd just say with poultry watch out that you don't dry the meat out

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Definitely stay away from the titties if you're throwin birds in your chili. Dark meat handles stewing/braising a lot better, as do older birds (not fryers).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anyone duck chili yet? Some stewing duck thighs would own.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

New Food Lab the other day with carne adovada. Seems to be a pretty traditional chili recipe, but with pork instead of beef. I'm tempted to try it. A bit weirded out by the raisins, though...not completely assured they wouldn't be noticeable.

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

Anybody have a good venison chili recipe? I was given a bunch of different cuts from family and want to try a chili with it. I have sirloin, ground venison, and packages labeled just "chops' and "round" if that helps.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I participated in my fiancee's company chili cookoff today. It had one judge and a can of Stagg chili won. Mine was the first to run out. loving sham of an event I tell you.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

Anyone duck chili yet? Some stewing duck thighs would own.

Think of the spicy duck fat you could skim off the top of the pot.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Jesus folks cut out the chilli racism. Put down the pitchforks. I had a great turkey chilli the other day and I'm glad I did.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I've made this white chicken chili from the wiki, it's tasty. Certainly a whole different dish from Texan chili but it's good made with chicken thighs.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/White_Chicken_Chili

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

signalnoise posted:

I participated in my fiancee's company chili cookoff today. It had one judge and a can of Stagg chili won. Mine was the first to run out. loving sham of an event I tell you.

Hahahah that's a farce.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Found out today that my chili was 2nd place for people's choice by 1 vote. The people's choice winner tasted strongly of cloves. What the hell people.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't normally make chili with pork, but I had a couple pounds of leftover smoked pork butt I did earlier in the week. caramelized a heaping load of onions, bloomed a boatload (almost a cup of powder for 2-3lbs of meat) of homemade chili powder for a min or so, tossed in the pork, some beef stock, and a bottle of dubbel. poo poo rocked. (and continues to rock, I don't know how I'm gonna eat all this)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

mindphlux posted:

I don't normally make chili with pork, but I had a couple pounds of leftover smoked pork butt I did earlier in the week. caramelized a heaping load of onions, bloomed a boatload (almost a cup of powder for 2-3lbs of meat) of homemade chili powder for a min or so, tossed in the pork, some beef stock, and a bottle of dubbel. poo poo rocked. (and continues to rock, I don't know how I'm gonna eat all this)

freeze half of it and scarf it later.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dis astranagant posted:

freeze half of it and scarf it later.

*exactly* what I did :shobon:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Well, chili gods, the mexican section at publix had a great selection of anchos for a not bad price, so they are in my chili today! this is batch two, we'll see how it goes!

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 15, 2012

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
I'm making chili for a cook off today.

Basic plan:

3 lb chuck roast
1 lb chorizo

Onion
Garlic

Beer(probably a stout)
Beef broth

A bunch of homemade chili powder -- I ground some up a couple months ago, I can't remember which peppers I used but it's tasty
Some chipotles
Beans(I love beans)
Roasted red bell pepper
Spice to taste with cumin, coriander, mexican oregano, etc

I'll get more specifics as I make it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I made some chili today with a bunch of the left over venison rillettes.

1 lbs Texas white tail venison rillettes.
1 large Texas sweet yellow onion
5 cloves garlic
1 tbs cumin, fresh ground
1 tbs ancho chili powder
1 tbs smoked paprika
1 tbs sweet paprika
1 tsp habanero powder
2 tsp Mexican oregano, dried
1 tsp red chili flakes
1 Bottle of Shiner Bock
1 can of whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes.
10 small sweet peppers (red, orange and yellow)
Beef stock
Chihuahua Smoked sea salt to taste
OPTIONAL: 1 lbs bag of dried pinto beans, soaked and ready to cook.

I chopped the onions and garlic and tossed them in with some of the fat from the rillettes. Sweated until translucent, halved the small sweet peppers and cleaned the seeds put and tossed the in. When they were soft I added the spices to toast a bit. When my eyes burned from the awesomeness I added the rillettes and stirred until the fat was melted. Then crushed the tomatoes with my hands and tossed them in, poured in the bottle of beer and topped it off with some beef stock. Then I tossed in the drained and soaked beans, brought it to a simmer and covered it.

It is simmering away right now and will be for the next 3-4 hours.