Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Radio du Cambodge posted:

I tried to practice mixing a little better with this beat, let me know if there's anything glaringly unbalanced or something. I don't know if it's quite hip hop, like I don't know if you could really rap over it that well, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

http://soundcloud.com/zmbeats/droppit

well your <3 is in the right place amigo, but you got a bit of work to do

any of you nit picky haters wanna handle my light work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

(didn't listen on monitors disclaimer)

IMHO: The mix is a bit top heavy, the bass drum should be louder, and in general it could use a little more work getting your elements to sit together nicely. i.e. Some of the lead synths need some more eq and compression to fit and not cause discomfort, samples are a little too loud. Also pretty sure that your drums at the beginning are intentionally lo-fi but you took it further in that direction than I would have. Hats could also go up a bit.

Non-mixing-wise I like your sound and you should keep doing it. Good work bruh

whoknew fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 4, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
and thats a great example constructive criticism for you bitchmade fucks

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

OK thanks for the comments. Yeah I barely touched the synth lead parts and tried to subdue the bass drum a bit... maybe I'm overcompensating cuz I don't have very good monitors + a subwoofer.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
just the picture of the wave indicates to me a sonic imbalance, where you can see the drums peaking a few db below the level of the other elements

you want the drums to be the louder if not the loudest elements for the most part in rap

there's always exceptions (drake beats, etc) but usually the kick and snare should slap

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com
http://lexlingo.bandcamp.com/

New EP from Lex Lingo that I provided most of the beats for. Get it now you silly bitches.

Jesus H Nyce fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 6, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i can't listen to this on my phone

as a placeholder for future snide remarks i offer this headshot of notable cherokee actor wes studi

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

THNDRTHF posted:

i can't listen to this on my phone

as a placeholder for future snide remarks i offer this headshot of notable cherokee actor wes studi

that is one cold rear end motherfucker. type chilled.

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

yeah i pulled it down a couple days after i posted it cuz its not finished hehehe

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
"go baby" by lupe fiasco is the most embarrasing rap song i've heard to date i think and the beat is hot gaaabage

Freddie Gibbis
Jul 30, 2007

~~ schween lyfe ~~

THNDRTHF posted:

"go baby" by lupe fiasco is the most embarrasing rap song i've heard to date i think and the beat is hot gaaabage

esp. cuz it's just a lovely version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVRpPKd8Is

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

wow that's bad.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Jesus H Nyce posted:

http://lexlingo.bandcamp.com/

New EP from Lex Lingo that I provided most of the beats for. Get it now you silly bitches.

this poo poo sounds p good - do you have a track for track list of beats you did? i think i know but i'm just curious

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

THNDRTHF posted:

this poo poo sounds p good - do you have a track for track list of beats you did? i think i know but i'm just curious

My beats are on tracks 2, 4, & 6-10

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
2 is probably my favorite of yours, and probably on the album actually

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

THNDRTHF posted:

2 is probably my favorite of yours, and probably on the album actually

'Preciate it, that track has been getting some love.

Also, the Nyce X Nasty album that Lex & myself are putting out in the near future is the best poo poo I have ever worked on

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Happy legal :420: day week month year forever in Washington

Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFSOr6dYfhQ

My wife and i are in this video :420:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 9, 2012

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Day

people talk about smokin sticks, but i'm pretty sure that qualifies as a log

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
that epitomizes this thread perfectly

thank you for sharing

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Day

28G :drat:

Does everyone else have a ton of 8 bar and 16 bar snippets sitting around that haven't been turned into songs too?

guy in a jetta posted:

i just need to put in some effort with drums i guess

http://soundcloud.com/pintofdirt/joepan

sorry for all the posts but its been a lot of lab time this past few days

edit: pitching down the kick and snare help a lot. a bit of chorus on the snare helps to "extend" it a bit.

Couple pages back but I really like this. I like the subtle melodic lines you have bubble up. The only thing that I would say is that the horn sample got repetitive and maybe switch it up but it also might have been ok if there was a rapper on it

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 9, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i thought "poo poo post" was completely appropriate for the hiphop thread #2 :rolleyes:

Jesus H Nyce
Nov 27, 2007

fakejesus143@gmail.com

THNDRTHF posted:

i thought "poo poo post" was completely appropriate for the hiphop thread #2 :rolleyes:

Yeah it grew on me. Now it's drums somehow.

TL/DR poo poo post 2016

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
Where's your condom now?!
https://soundcloud.com/nate-manuel/a-still-mourning

Beat I sampled/produced while I was sitting around (literally) feeling sick today. Feedback always welcome, and I am willing to answer production questions.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

I remade an old track on an mpc500 to practice using it and cuz the old version never really went anywhere. It's a little rough around the edges.

https://soundcloud.com/zmbeats/shake-money-ii-mpc-edition

Any comments on the song are welcome but I have a specific question too

How do you make it so that a bass drum sounds clean even at a high volume? I find when I turn up my speakers, it becomes a flat mess pretty quickly even when it sounds full and punchy to me at a middle-to-low volume. I think this is true of any song, but it seems like a lower threshold for my own stuff. I assume it's a mixing issue but what exactly is the problem? Should the drum be more low pass filtered/EQd to remove midrange frequencies or something? Should other instruments be equalized/filtered so as not to interfere?

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

I remade an old track on an mpc500 to practice using it and cuz the old version never really went anywhere. It's a little rough around the edges.

https://soundcloud.com/zmbeats/shake-money-ii-mpc-edition

Any comments on the song are welcome but I have a specific question too

How do you make it so that a bass drum sounds clean even at a high volume? I find when I turn up my speakers, it becomes a flat mess pretty quickly even when it sounds full and punchy to me at a middle-to-low volume. I think this is true of any song, but it seems like a lower threshold for my own stuff. I assume it's a mixing issue but what exactly is the problem? Should the drum be more low pass filtered/EQd to remove midrange frequencies or something? Should other instruments be equalized/filtered so as not to interfere?

Since you do not have a bassline persay, you can pretty much hi-pass everything but the bass drum to 200hz, you can also put long range low pass on your kick so as to make the unwanted frequencies a bit quieter but not completely inexistant. Make sure none of your outs peak and don't use a maximiser/limiter except for mastering, this should help for the saturation. If you're looking for punchiness, go for parallel compression (Basically, have one plain drum line, and have an aux send for your Kick/Snare to really heavy compression --- you can easily find a youtube tutorial for your specific DAW.)

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
im at a live invite only macklemore show right now @ youtube headquarters

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by "sounds clean at high volume". Are you talking specifically about the song you posted, or in general? Is your kick clipping out, or gets lost in the mix, of just isn't 'pumping' as hard as you'd like?

Two thoughts I have off the bat are your compressor settings on the kick (if any?), and the general volume of all other instruments in the mix.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah I think it might have something to do with the volume of various instruments in the mix, or it's just my speakers? Right now, when I turn the volume up, the synth line and most of the percussion just sound louder, but the bass drum sounds like "BVVRRRK BVVVRK." Of course if you turn the volume up loud enough on anything the signal will become distorted, but I feel like I can crank the volume higher on a professionally produced track before the bass starts distorting. So I'm wondering what is responsible for that.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Yeah I think it might have something to do with the volume of various instruments in the mix, or it's just my speakers? Right now, when I turn the volume up, the synth line and most of the percussion just sound louder, but the bass drum sounds like "BVVRRRK BVVVRK." Of course if you turn the volume up loud enough on anything the signal will become distorted, but I feel like I can crank the volume higher on a professionally produced track before the bass starts distorting. So I'm wondering what is responsible for that.

You probably can't hear how loud your really low frequency stuff is, and when you turn the speakers up, they start responding to those frequencies more and it produces that effect. Just a guess though without really being able to hear and see your project.

edit: also, no album drop today like I said. I guess that brings me closer to the stereotypical rap artist or something

The Rubberbandit
Jan 14, 2008
whoknew has the right idea. It sounds like a combination of your monitors and listening environment. At mid level volumes the kick "sounds" right, but is probably louder at some frequencies than it should be. So, when you crank the speakers up, that same frequency physically pushes the diver too far causing distortion.

As for solving this... learn your room better. Play sine waves at various low Hz and walk around the room listening for nulls and peaks. And buy better monitors, which still wont solve the room acoustics issue.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
How do you handle that fast repeated 808 long kick(like Yelawolf - Daddy's Lambo)? Whenever I try it it sounds muddy I tried doing a choke group on the kick sample so only one could sound at a time but now it just sounds choppy

I'm talking about the descending triplet, triplet, long note bass.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
you want to use a sampler with polyphony on 1 (monophonic) so when the 808 triggers again it cuts the first one

ableton drum rack defaults to this I think, reason you wanna use nn-xt sampler set to 1 polyphony, or in fruityloops say "cut itself"

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
You could also try to paint it in kick for kick in arrange mode (ableton/acid)

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Yeah I think that's right. When I turn it up even louder, there's a constant low-freq buzzy growl. I think it also has to do with the relative volumes of the other instruments: the overall song doesn't sound Loud until I push the volume up to a point at which the speaker can't physically handle the bass tones, long before the rest of the sounds are loud enough to catch up. Thanks.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
you shouldn't trust your speakers if they aren't capable of reproducing rap accuratley

even a cheap aiwa from walmart is better than some little rear end computer speakers, I srsly find 10 stereos a month in brooklyn, im always upgrading my home sound system for free

right now im rocking a bose and a studio aiwa with a couple hundred watt kenmore head all found on the sidewalk

srsly invest in some poo poo from goodwill, anything that can bump a little bit will help you understand your own dynamics a lot more

and always remember you don't want to go into the red on your master bus, that's what makes it sound like poo poo on my end

unless od course you have a 2 inch tape then saturate that bitch to death

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Just bought 2 of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F1ZMHY/ref=ox_ya_os_product

and they are coming tomorrow. never thought i'd ever get this excited about speakers.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
duuuude those are the updated version of mine, they look really nice

you're eventually going to need a hardware volume control unless you already use an external soundcard then you are ok, otherwise you need something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-Big-Knob-Desktop-Monitor/dp/B0006GPYDQ/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

its an all around studio command center tho, you can hook up A/B sound systems for comparative mastering and it even has a talkback mic for a remote recording setup in another room :O

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
this is a pre-sales pitch in case you want mine, its just sitting on a shelf, in dusty but perfect condition ;)

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

i do have an m-audio fast track pro which will do the job i believe, but i'll let you know if i end up needing one of those. i think i'm too small time at the moment haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
naw np, the maudios are fine, i know the firepro 410 had a wierd software glitch where it would jump to full volume all the time

but as long as you have a physical volume knob you are good

• Locked thread