Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

BiggerJ posted:

If Hussie permanently lost part or all of Homestuck and posted this...

"Given the current state of affairs, I have had to choice but to type the following series of words in the following precise order: everyone who is the first to post any number of pieces of missing content will be entered into a draw, and one person will be awarded with the ability to suggest one command, which will most definitely be used in Homestuck and thusly be made canonical for all eternity. This is an actual thing I will do, and not some manner of comedy laugh joke.

I have not even hit 'post' and I am already filled with regret."

...he would get the entire archive back in a few days.
I think you mean "few minutes." There are definitely plenty of people with a cache of the entire comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

DaveKap posted:

I think you mean "few minutes." There are definitely plenty of people with a cache of the entire comic.

Even less, I'm pretty sure there's a torrent of the whole comic floating around. Hussie wouldn't even need to hold a contest.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

There's absolutely no way Hussie doesn't keep backups of everything.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

That tumblr theory about how Caliborn is tricking Jane has me a bit concerned. Nevermind that we have no idea what his game could actually be at this point(and maybe he doesn't know either), but to think there could be some kind of evilly clever gambit behind it all like how he beat his sister would make his voyeurism and self-esteem destroying even worse.

Caliborn being a clever little shithead is way worse than him just being a shithead.

BiggerJ posted:

If Hussie permanently lost part or all of Homestuck and posted this...

"Given the current state of affairs, I have had to choice but to type the following series of words in the following precise order: everyone who is the first to post any number of pieces of missing content will be entered into a draw, and one person will be awarded with the ability to suggest one command, which will most definitely be used in Homestuck and thusly be made canonical for all eternity. This is an actual thing I will do, and not some manner of comedy laugh joke.

I have not even hit 'post' and I am already filled with regret."

...he would get the entire archive back in a few days.

Vriska: Revive. :getin:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Midnight Raider posted:

That tumblr theory about how Caliborn is tricking Jane has me a bit concerned. Nevermind that we have no idea what his game could actually be at this point(and maybe he doesn't know either), but to think there could be some kind of evilly clever gambit behind it all like how he beat his sister would make his voyeurism and self-esteem destroying even worse.

Caliborn being a clever little shithead is way worse than him just being a shithead.

Oh, we know he's intelligent, at least when he puts his mind to it. He's impulsive, egocentric, immature, uninterested in things he doesn't consider useful, and incapable of developing non-hate-based relationships, but he's demonstrated a capacity for making creative and thorough plans and patiently seeing them through.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Midnight Raider posted:

Vriska: Revive. :getin:
This is the internet Homestuck fandom. As if it won't be something like, "Vriska: become fat and make-out with Cronus while wearing diapers."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The gently caress do you mean become fat? Haven't you seen Hussie's Formspring posts on the matter?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

With nothing else to talk about, I wanted to point out the amusing fact that the Homestuck kickstarter comment section is still going strong. They've formed their own mini community in there.

They seem to mostly be using it to trade pesterchum handles

I don't want to know what they use pesterchum for...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bobulus posted:

With nothing else to talk about, I wanted to point out the amusing fact that the Homestuck kickstarter comment section is still going strong. They've formed their own mini community in there.

They seem to mostly be using it to trade pesterchum handles

I don't want to know what they use pesterchum for...

If we look into ourselves, the darkness within, the part which we never speak about, from which we are forbidden from speaking, you will find your answer, and discover how the sinner precepts reality. However, at how large a price shall this revelation come to you? A tax not of currency, but of sanity. Such is the nature of sin.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Yeah, I went in there to ask about changing my shipping address (you need to email WhatPumpkin support, by the way) and I mostly ignored the preexisting comments. When I checked back later for an answer it was half-buried in roleplay and random conversations.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Bobulus posted:

the Homestuck kickstarter comment section is still going strong. They've formed their own mini community in there.

...Why? Aren't there a thousand other places to do this that won't make you look like a weird person? :psyduck:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Hyedum posted:

...Why? Aren't there a thousand other places to do this that won't make you look like a weird person? :psyduck:

Yepperoni. According to Tumblr, the rp hangout to be at right now is MSPARP.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember when people were complaining that the kids had no real reason to go hunt down Lord English? Well, miscellaneous crimes against the fabric of space-time aside, I'm pretty sure this counts as grounds for hunting him down and murdering his rear end.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I've seen Homestuck people RP on Betty Crocker's official website. They will get their grubby claws into anything they can find.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Site is still down. I was really getting used to daily updates again too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Poor timing. If only those technical issues, whatever they are, had happened right after Caliborn banged on the TV tower with the crowbar...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ShardPhoenix posted:

I think we're due to turn to cannibalism and Pesterlog RP by now. Somebody should check.

Erned
Dec 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think we're due to turn to cannibalism and Pesterlog RP by now. Somebody should check.

I'm already pesterlog RPing. :ssh:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't even get the appeal of RPing. I mean, if it was new characters in an existing setting, like an RPG, I'm fine with that. But I'm in it for the game part of that.

Just chatting? And not even getting to make up the character? Seems boring.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bobulus posted:

I don't even get the appeal of RPing. I mean, if it was new characters in an existing setting, like an RPG, I'm fine with that. But I'm in it for the game part of that.

It can be an interesting challenge from a writer's perspective trying to mimic style and reduplicate what's compelling/interesting/funny about a character in new material. It's the same reason you might try writing as Hemingway or as Tolkien, for instance, to test your chops and stretch your muscles.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bobulus posted:

I'm imagining two Daves just going
"sup"
"sup"

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Guys, i'm sure we'll be fine without Homestuck for a little while. But in the meantime, let me talk about my fantroll, and

Erned
Dec 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Seoinin posted:

"sup"
"sup"

That happens on Trollplay sometimes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Seoinin posted:

"sup"
"sup"

For what it's worth people are terrible at Dave, they tend to reach "standoffish" but never manage "funny".

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ShardPhoenix posted:

On the plus side, since this issue is completely out of the Hussman's hands I guess we can expect a relatively large update once the site goes back up?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Android Blues posted:

For what it's worth people are terrible at Dave, they tend to reach "standoffish" but never manage "funny".

That's, like, the thing though. I don't get how there can be much satisfaction in talking with someone doing a bad impression of a character.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Seoinin posted:

That's, like, the thing though. I don't get how there can be much satisfaction in talking with someone doing a bad impression of a character.

Having done it some myself, I would say you get a decent amount of people, like maybe one in five or one in six, who are actually pretty good at whichever character they're roleplaying and then it can be a fun time! I might have been lucky though. There are certainly some awful ones floating around, although mostly they're awful in an "inoffensively bland" way as opposed to a "sexual predator" way.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Wow, this thread really DOES get weird when the site goes down.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Technique posted:

Wow, this thread really DOES get weird when the site goes down.
Zoolooman wisely closed the thread during the 2 month Cascade break. It would have been madness otherwise.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Back during Hivebent when there was a week-long hiatus right after Equius and Robo-Aradia kissed this thread apparently tore itself apart, and ever since then whenever there's been a long stretch of time without updates everyone here starts ironically and facetiously talking about Pesterchum RPing and fantrolls.

We've gotten better at behaving during update lulls as they occur more frequently, though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Well Manicured Man posted:

Back during Hivebent when there was a week-long hiatus right after Equius and Robo-Aradia kissed this thread apparently tore itself apart, and ever since then whenever there's been a long stretch of time without updates everyone here starts ironically and facetiously talking about Pesterchum RPing and fantrolls.

We've gotten better at behaving during update lulls as they occur more frequently, though.

I think we've ascended to Dirk levels of irony, here.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Why do dorks ruin everything.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Don't forget about Vriskachat!

On the other hand, a year or so of that has exhausted anything new to say about her.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bell_ posted:

Don't forget about Vriskachat!

On the other hand, a year or so of that has exhausted anything new to say about her.

Ever since Cronus showed up, Tumblr has been jumping through some serious flaming hoops to justify her being the worst nogoodnik in history. It's kinda novel, in the same way that video game made by the schizophrenic guy is novel.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 8, 2012

Erned
Dec 1, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Seoinin posted:

Ever since Cronus oozed his way into the picture, Tumblr has been jumping through some serious flaming hoops to justify her being the worst nogoodnik in history. It's kinda novel, in the same way that video game made by the schizophrenic guy is novel.

What does Cronus have to do with Vriska? Also what video game are you talking about?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Because Vriska is "THE WORST BITCH EVER FUCKIN WHORE" and nobody can be worse than her. Eridan is okay though because he was just misunderstood and nobody gave him a chance.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Erned posted:

What does Cronus have to do with Vriska?

How can Vriska (a.k.a. "BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH") be the worst troll when Cronus exists?

Of course, most Vriskachat tends to be about how she is the best troll; but I'm sure there are still people in the Vriska worst troll camp.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Erned posted:

What does Cronus have to do with Vriska? Also what video game are you talking about?

Mostly the fact that a lot of the stupider fans really, really hated her, and ignored all of her conflicting or gray characterization in favor of making her out to be the antichrist, all the while ignoring anything else bad any other character did. Hell, a lot of them ignored anything Eridan or Gamzee did in the trollpocalypse, or even blamed it ON Vriska, in increasingly convoluted ways.

There was just always a bit of hypocritical slant to how much vitriol people had for her, while in the meantime lauding characters who did as bad of things or worse, and often without as much characterization. I suspect they're having to stretch even more to maintain that Vriska is worse than Cronus, who probably already has too many non-ironic adoring fans.

(Some people say Vriska gets away with a lot because she's a female character, but I think the opposite unfortunately applies as well in how she's held to a different standard by fans than males characters in being a smug killer jerk, that such characters are viewed less favorably.)

Edit: ^ There's still a lot of vitrolic Vriska hate, it just doesn't show up as much in the SA thread or other less-dumb gatherings since the more ravenous and unfortunate fans don't last here.

Midnight Raider fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 8, 2012

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

How can Vriska (a.k.a. "BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH") be the worst troll when Cronus exists?
"Vriska kissed Tavros against his will and also said 'cripple' a few times. Ergo she's worse because *coughing, vague gesturing*"

I seem to have some kind of inverse Midas Touch when it comes to Tumblr. No matter how level headed a person seems, within a month of following them they start calling their BFF "my moirail" and posting rants about ship-shaming. I should just pack it the gently caress in.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Please don't follow me...

Unless my demands are met I will be following one major public figure every hour. Let us see how well your pigdog capitalist nation wages imperialist war when your elected officials are busy arguing about whose shipping matrix is most problematic.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
"No you see Cronus is all right, that whole thing with Mituna was just taken out of context. Also Kankri seems like a really great and socially conscious guy and I don't understand why everyone treats him like a joke."
--Fans who are actually really bad at reading comprehension

To be fair, when Kankri first showed up I was like, "Hmm, this guy's a social justice blogger. That's pretty neat, actually, I know some great social justice bloggers out there and he seems like a pretty stand-up guy" and then you actually keep reading what he's saying and he starts going on about transbloods or whatever and you get to the part with Porrim (and a few updates later, Mituna) and you're like "Oh, he's that kind of social justice blogger." I imagine most of Kankri's defenders are either "that kind of social justice blogger" or just flat-out don't read.

Basically anyone who defends the real creeps and/or shitlords of this comic (Cronus, Kankri, Caliborn, etc.) with "they're just misunderstood" while lambasting characters like Vriska who aren't nearly as unpleasant is either exactly that kind of person that's being satirized by these characters or outright lacks reading comprehension skills.

Seoinin posted:

"Vriska kissed Tavros against his will and also said 'cripple' a few times. Ergo she's worse because *coughing, vague gesturing*"

I seem to have some kind of inverse Midas Touch when it comes to Tumblr. No matter how level headed a person seems, within a month of following them they start calling their BFF "my moirail" and posting rants about ship-shaming. I should just pack it the gently caress in.

Please don't follow me...

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 8, 2012