Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
The weirdest issue I have with DSFix is the bridge with the gargoyle in Anor Londo. For whatever reason when I step onto that bridge the entire game grinds to a hault for a second or two, like it's attempting to render EVERYTHING in the game at one time, then suddenly is fine. This might happen twice while crossing the bridges over towards O+S, but the game has run flawlessly up until that point.

Not quite sure what the deal is with those bridges specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Got any texture overrides going?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Tallgeese posted:

This is what causes the above for me, especially if they're PNG

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Nicer looking buttons and icons. Removing them might make it stop, huh? I can live without oil-painting looking icons.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No guarantees, but it might. See if it does?

Also, is it me or is the parrying in PVP a total crapshoot? A nice Japanese guy let me practice it on his punches, but it would only take it in the event I pressed the button before his punch even started, instead of, you know, when it's about to hit me.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Tensokuu posted:

Nicer looking buttons and icons. Removing them might make it stop, huh? I can live without oil-painting looking icons.
I doubt that'll do it, UI stuff is always loaded

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wait, maybe it's performing a save then, and DSFix is backing it up?

That or he accidentally has texture dumping on too.

PS: I see you there in the Parish, Tensokuu.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My biggest beef with Dark Souls as far as over-obscure game elements goes are the fake walls. I'd be fine if they had some subtle clue that they were breakable but they're just seemingly-ordinary parts of the world geometry that magically vanish when you strike them.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Wait, maybe it's performing a save then, and DSFix is backing it up?

That or he accidentally has texture dumping on too.

PS: I see you there in the Parish, Tensokuu.

I was getting it before I enabled save backups, and I don't have texture dumping on. I had downloaded some other overrides but hell if I remember what they were, so I've removed all of them outside of the black Bamco screen. We'll see if that does anything.

You ran across The Incredible Hulk Barkley! It's my silly STR/END character that I'm just slaughtering stuff with a +5 Zweihander. Was trying to get used to some lower level PVP so I'm more up to par in Anor Londo, but uh... at the time I wasn't wearing armor and just found myself getting squashed by everyone opponent. Welp.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Republicans posted:

My biggest beef with Dark Souls as far as over-obscure game elements goes are the fake walls. I'd be fine if they had some subtle clue that they were breakable but they're just seemingly-ordinary parts of the world geometry that magically vanish when you strike them.

The large majority of them DO have subtle hints. The only ones that don't, really, are the Great Hollow ones. The rest are subtly different from the surrounding walls, or have what seems to be an obvious arch framing them. Sometimes you can see stuff behind them if you're paying attention. There's a spot in the catacombs where you can see the second bonfire at, before you get to the illusory wall, for example. The wall itself is suspect. You just have to put two and two together.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Plus, it's the ridiculousness of the game that makes me believe that there is still something that can be done to that goddamn rock near the Kalameet fight. I mean there's another rock nearby that looks identical, so you wouldn't think anything of it, but there are 2 of those glowy plants near it, not just the one needed to illuminate the ladder.

Probably just From loving with me, but either way, goddamn

Also why doesn't this guy respawn?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Balobam posted:

Plus, it's the ridiculousness of the game that makes me believe that there is still something that can be done to that goddamn rock near the Kalameet fight. I mean there's another rock nearby that looks identical, so you wouldn't think anything of it, but there are 2 of those glowy plants near it, not just the one needed to illuminate the ladder.

Probably just From loving with me, but either way, goddamn

You could probably noclip through it to find nothing there.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The large majority of them DO have subtle hints. The only ones that don't, really, are the Great Hollow ones. The rest are subtly different from the surrounding walls, or have what seems to be an obvious arch framing them. Sometimes you can see stuff behind them if you're paying attention. There's a spot in the catacombs where you can see the second bonfire at, before you get to the illusory wall, for example. The wall itself is suspect. You just have to put two and two together.

Besides the Great Hollow entrance there's also the hidden wall in sen's fortress that leads to a giant near where you fall down to the front of the first pendulum walkway after climbing out of the tar pit. Also the ones in the cellar of the painted world but once you know this is a game that has fake walls you know to check them.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

EDIT: Yeah Voltron, it's true. I flicked the NG+ flag on my game to test this, and only after I did that did Red Phantoms appear.

A NG+ flag? As i understand it, NG+ is just a counter on how many times you've seen the ending. A flag is usually boolean.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

HenryEx posted:

A NG+ flag? As i understand it, NG+ is just a counter on how many times you've seen the ending. A flag is usually boolean.

I misspoke since I am rather tired. Yes, it's a counter.

Aug 24, 2011

Step 1: Leave Dark Souls running for two hours while you do something else. It will collect IP addresses so you can have a good multiplayer experience when you're ready to play.
Step 2: Activate a menu table in CheatEngine, forgetting to first disable the GFWL memory protection that immediately crashes the game if it detects you running any scripts - for example, a script that opens a menu table in CheatEngine.

:suicide:

\/\/\/\/ gently caress. I'm going to do that right now.

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 8, 2012

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

This is why you use a table that doesn't let you use anything that crashes the game until you activate the protection disabler.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
This game is literally unplayable without a gamepad or the mousefix. loving unplayable. And the mousefix requires dsfix. Targeting without the mousefix is a real what the christ moment

If you don't have dsfix but play using a mouse you are loving insane and as soon as you practice with something else you will be the best dark souls player ever.

Aug 24, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

This game is literally unplayable without a gamepad or the mousefix. loving unplayable. And the mousefix requires dsfix. Targeting without the mousefix is a real what the christ moment

If you don't have dsfix but play using a mouse you are loving insane and as soon as you practice with something else you will be the best dark souls player ever.

I played through NG without the mouse fix, using KBM. Quite doable.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I did too. It is 'doable' in the way that slitting your wrists is doable. I have beaten this game with a 360 pad, kb/m with the fix, and without the fix. Without the fix is just stupid and bad and everyone currently doing it should stop putting up with it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have seriously had the weirdest experience with dsfix on my laptop. I promise you that if you are playing without the mouse fix for dsfix right now, you are playing a broken game compared to the rest of us. Say whatever you want about m/kb with the fix, at least the camera isn't loving nuts.:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I did too. It is 'doable' in the way that slitting your wrists is doable. I have beaten this game with a 360 pad, kb/m with the fix, and without the fix. Without the fix is just stupid and bad and everyone currently doing it should stop putting up with it.

What's so bad about it? I haven't had any issues. Sure it might feel weird if you're used to sticks just like playing with sticks is a nightmare if you're only used to kb+m, but I've been using kb+mouse for Dark Souls and it does what I want it to do. It's not like, say, AC2 where the mouse controls are horribly sluggish. It's plenty responsive. And while the added precision of walking with a stick might be nice, wasd suffices just fine.

Aug 24, 2011

Nathilus posted:

What's so bad about it? I haven't had any issues. Sure it might feel weird if you're used to sticks just like playing with sticks is a nightmare if you're only used to kb+m, but I've been using kb+mouse for Dark Souls and it does what I want it to do. It's not like, say, AC2 where the mouse controls are horribly sluggish. It's plenty responsive. And while the added precision of walking with a stick might be nice, wasd suffices just fine.

No variable mouse movement speed. Surely you've noticed?

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
The man who beats dark souls SL1 with either a trackpad or nub mouse should get a goddamned medal

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Seriously install the mouse fix and use the scroll wheel for target selection and bind your poo poo to your extra mouse buttons. You cannot go back :psyduck:

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Seriously install the mouse fix and use the scroll wheel for target selection and bind your poo poo to your extra mouse buttons. You cannot go back :psyduck:

Its certainly much better. It was just painful to try the game back when it came out using the mouse and the keyboard. Even with the mouse pointer removed, it was still a bitch to play and just unfun.

With dsfix and the mouse wheel targetting system, it feels so much smoother and better, its not even comparable.

I would like to have more mouse buttons so I could block and parry with my mouse, but quite honestly, Tab and Left Shift do a good enough job when it comes to that.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have parry bound to C on my laptop right now and I parry better than with my gamepad. Everything else is worse, though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I have the PC version of this game, and the xbox version sans DLC. Is it worth putting up with hackers and presumably dead mp + forking out of a gamepad, or should I just pay $20 nzd for the DLC on XboX?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You can still get multiplayer on the pc, especially pvp.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You can still get multiplayer on the pc, especially pvp.

I'm down with being invaded, but I'm not much of an invader myself + I'm more into co-oping boss fights with people.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I have the PC version of this game, and the xbox version sans DLC. Is it worth putting up with hackers and presumably dead mp + forking out of a gamepad, or should I just pay $20 nzd for the DLC on XboX?

How powerful is your PC? With a reasonably powerful PC you can have constant 60 FPS with DSfix, the difference is like night and day.

You can also find plenty people to Co-op or fight with and hackers aren't really that prevalent

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
As long as connectivity behaves the pc version is great. Hell, I found sl1 co-op for O+S. YMMV, of course.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Andrast posted:

How powerful is your PC? With a reasonably powerful PC you can have constant 60 FPS with DSfix, the difference is like night and day.

You can also find plenty people to Co-op or fight with and hackers aren't really that prevalent

I built it a couple of months ago so I should hope it's pretty powerful.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I am in love with Iron Flesh. It allowed me to tank Four Kings like a beast.
(Giant Armor and the Greatshield of Artorias didn't hurt)

I really feel like a powerful armored badass. This game :allears:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That's the great thing about Dark Souls. You can build your character to be a heavily armored badass, a fire-slinging pyromancer, a wizard that just melts everything, or a naked fat man with a giant hammer.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Doesn't she always show up if you have a +10 pyromancy glove? I always try to get my glove to that before going to blighttown and every time she has been down there chilling in the swamp.

I had a +14 Pyromancy glove nearly all game, and she never showed. I hit Blighttown on NG+ and she was chlling in the swamp ready to high five me. I have no idea what does it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Cutting seath's tail is a nightmare. Is he super resistant to magic or something? Should I go and upgrade a normal weapon to do it with?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Cutting seath's tail is a nightmare. Is he super resistant to magic or something? Should I go and upgrade a normal weapon to do it with?

You probably should. Also apparently the way to do it is stand in front of that crystal, let him smash it, and then cut his tail while he's stunned.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You probably should. Also apparently the way to do it is stand in front of that crystal, let him smash it, and then cut his tail while he's stunned.

I got in about 4 hits on his tail doing that with my +5 enchanted bastard sword but his tail still didn't come off. That fucken guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I think using a dual damage type of weapon might not be the way to go, since he's pretty magic resistant IIRC even before you're splitting your damage over two types. I think your best bet is either a super-powered Crystal Soul Spear or a meatier physical weapon.

It's possible a lightning or chaos weapon could get the job done but I haven't experimented with it extensively because gently caress Seathe and his stupid tail.

• Locked thread