Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How is Brutal Doom so loving good.

I pulled out v17 for a quick run of those cchest4 maps and it's just... perfect.

It's every single thing I loved about Doom at 60fps in 1080 with nice gzdoom stuff, and the gameplay is just razor sharp. Enemies are nasty, guns are amazing. The silly executions and gore is just... there. The gameplay tweaks are what make it feel so nice. It's Doom, refreshed. And exactly what it says it is, Brutal Doom.

Modern FPS games could learn a thing or fifty from Doom and this mod :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bbcisdabomb posted:

drat, now map 4 is kicking my rear end. There's just so many traps it's rediculus. I should have known that those rockets were a trap, though.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic here. I enjoy playing maps for the first time on Hard not because I'm a super 1337 DooMer, but because I get the full force of all the retarded traps Doom is famous for. The only way is to drop into a small room with a switch and a supershotgun: pull the switch and watch the walls drop to reveal a dozen demons and half that number of imps. Which way do you run? What weapon do you use? What weapon should you have had out? Having to actually think about such things is the fun part for me after playing modern story-driven shooters.

Not being sarcastic at all, I've been in the dark with all of these Doom wads and mods since forever, never really bothered with them. Now that I'm taking notice and trying some out, I'm simply amazed at what some people have made, and just want more and more.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The craziest thing to me is that there are mods practically from the game's release that are still good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How's the Ghostbusters wad? I've always heard about it whenever wads were mentioned.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

victrix posted:

How is Brutal Doom so loving good.

I pulled out v17 for a quick run of those cchest4 maps and it's just... perfect.

It's every single thing I loved about Doom at 60fps in 1080 with nice gzdoom stuff, and the gameplay is just razor sharp. Enemies are nasty, guns are amazing. The silly executions and gore is just... there. The gameplay tweaks are what make it feel so nice. It's Doom, refreshed. And exactly what it says it is, Brutal Doom.

Modern FPS games could learn a thing or fifty from Doom and this mod :mad:

Really? I think the vast majority of actual gameplay changes are horribly retarded (Make every gun deal splash damage to yourself? Seriously?) but the gore gives the game variety where vanilla doom just has the same sprite for a dead enemy every time. The other thing I like are the headshots, which make the shooting more interesting but they are implemented without much thought given to actual gameplay. I mean, a single super shotgun shot to the head can kill anything up to and including a baron of hell which makes a ton of hard WADs completely trivial.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

The mod is implemented in such a way that it's supposed to be compatible with most wads, but the gameplay changes completely change Doom's dynamics.

I think BrDoom would be a far better offering if it came with maps that were designed around the different style of gameplay. Or if a talented level designer took on the project - any "Brutalized" map packs I've seen have been really not very good.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Loved quakeworld. Played it religiously from 13 - 16yrs old. Also got into quakearena when it came out. I think the gameplay for that style of fast paced fps hit the pinnacle with quakearena. Now it seems fps have moved on to slower paced instadeath gameplay. Not my thing.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Not being sarcastic at all, I've been in the dark with all of these Doom wads and mods since forever, never really bothered with them. Now that I'm taking notice and trying some out, I'm simply amazed at what some people have made, and just want more and more.

Try playing through "Suspended in Dusk" :)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I just got around playing Brutal Doom over the weekend, this will be the first time I beat Doom 2 since the day the original came out.

HOLY gently caress is this amazing, This is not the Doom that I played years ago, this is EXACTLY the Doom that I REMEMBER and FELT, whats amazing is that all of the weapons are so perfectly balanced and useful and powerful (I have not stopped using the freaking RIFLE and I just got to hell!) the new music, the sheer violence and splatter, hell both the shotgun AND the super shotgun adn amazing to use god drat this game is more exciting than most of the FPS games out TODAY. the fatalities, the comrades you can find who help you is awesome. the enemies are much more badder, tougher and more amazing and more satisfying to kill. the sheer carnage of it all gooooodddd daaaaammnnnnn.

I literally have not felt so much blood-pumping-on-the-edge-excitment in such a long looooong time, to whoever made Brutal Doom, thank you for bringing back the Doom I remember, not the Doom I actually played.

Every game company is existence today, please note that there is a doom mod that is 50x better and more exciting than your million dollar titles. you have no god drat excuse for your boring loving games.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 8, 2012

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
As everyone's going on about Brutal Doom again, anyone know of a way to a) make the replacement pistol fire automatically like the old one and b) turn off beserk fatalities by default? I think I'm the only person that finds them annoying :saddowns:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Convex posted:

As everyone's going on about Brutal Doom again, anyone know of a way to a) make the replacement pistol fire automatically like the old one and b) turn off beserk fatalities by default? I think I'm the only person that finds them annoying :saddowns:

Why would you ever want to use the pistol again? is it any different (in terms of power) from the original?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I literally have not felt so much blood-pumping-on-the-edge-excitment in such a long looooong time, to whoever made Brutal Doom, thank you for bringing back the Doom I remember, not the Doom I actually played.

Yeah, this is how I've always described Brutal Doom. It's nostalgic memories filtered through the Doom comic. It's not really compatible with levels that push the core game balance to its limits, but anything within tolerable Doom 2 late-game limits works great.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Why would you ever want to use the pistol again? is it any different (in terms of power) from the original?

I guess it just doesn't feel like Doom unless I have a pistol. I don't know why.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Convex posted:

I guess it just doesn't feel like Doom unless I have a pistol. I don't know why.

I suppose it's just like how Borderlands 2 put it: after painting a room red with a blast from your BFG, you whip out your pistol on a whim, take a look at it and go "heh".

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Convex posted:

For the berserk punch, just hit your manual reload button. You'll crack your knuckles and go into "smash" mode. Crack them again to go back to "rip and tear" for fatalities and lost soul grabbing.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good way to play doom multiplayer? Trying it with an buddy and we keep getting desynched (Was using Hamatchi), plus its giving us the deathmatch weapons and i've totally forgotten how to flag that off. :v:

Listening to him burst into laughter at how crazy brutal doom is was fun while it lasted tho :3:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Al-Saqr posted:

Every game company is existence today, please note that there is a doom mod that is 50x better and more exciting than your million dollar titles. you have no god drat excuse for your boring loving games.

I feel this way as well. I didn't play Doom when it first came out either, although I still enjoyed Vanilla Doom. Brutal Doom is more "why the gently caress would I ever play vanilla again", map author intent be damned. I wish more people would accept Brutal Doom into their midsts like that one guy who made that map pack balanced around Brutal Doom.

Old games have a really bad stigma with the 'younger generation' (I feel stupid typing those words). I'm 25 and I know a guy who is 21 who I couldn't convince to buy Chrono Trigger on iOS because it was too old, and he was specifically looking for an RPG similar to Final Fantasy. Another buddy of mine caught me playing Brutal Doom once and he couldn't understand why I would play something like that over Call of Duty. I tried out P1999 for Everquest, and someone actually said to me "Why don't you just play WoW?" as if I had never considered the possibility. Just a few short years can throw anybody off. I guess the big difference is I started with NES/SNES whereas others started with Playstation 1.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Mutiplayer in zdoom is easy enough. Never used any of the other programs so I can't say about those. :v:

You need to install zdoom somewhere and put a shortcut to the main exe somewhere you can find it, chuck your .wad in the same folder as the main exe. Go into the shortcut properties and add this to the end of the target:

-zdoom -host 2 -doom2.wad -warp 01
(changing the .wad as you need)

eg. C:\Users\Nettle\Desktop\zdoom\zdoom.exe -zdoom -host 2 -doom2.wad -warp 01

The other player then puts " -join hosts-ipaddress -doom2.wad " onto their shortcut.
(change the .wad again as needed, the host can find their IP here)

Make sure the host has udp port 5029 open on your routers and directed properly and the .wad in your main zdoom folder.

The host runs their shortcut and then player2 runs theirs. Options can be messed about with in the ingame options. Use T to talk ingame I think.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How's the Ghostbusters wad? I've always heard about it whenever wads were mentioned.

Unfinished. There's a couple of playable levels and plenty of uncompleted drafts. It's interesting in the look it gives at how the Doom modding scene was years ago, but it's not actually interesting to a player who just wants to play.

Nettle Soup posted:

-zdoom -host 2 -doom2.wad -warp 01
(changing the .wad as you need)

Why do you dash "doom2.wad"? I could understand any of those command lines:

zdoom -host 2 -iwad doom2.wad -warp 01
zdoom -host 2 -file doom2.wad -warp 01
zdoom -host 2 doom2.wad -warp 01

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

That Ignorant Sap posted:

For the berserk punch, just hit your manual reload button. You'll crack your knuckles and go into "smash" mode. Crack them again to go back to "rip and tear" for fatalities and lost soul grabbing.

Thanks! Guess I should upscale the message size a bit so I can actually read it...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Why do you dash "doom2.wad"? I could understand any of those command lines:

zdoom -host 2 -iwad doom2.wad -warp 01
zdoom -host 2 -file doom2.wad -warp 01
zdoom -host 2 doom2.wad -warp 01

Was just posting what worked for me, I kinda hacked it out of the multiplayer page on the zdoom wiki. :shobon: Me and two different friends used that setup just fine but it was the first time I'd tried multiplayer in around 4 years so feel free to suggest a better way! (Neither of them had ever played Doom! Can you believe it!)

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I feel this way as well. I didn't play Doom when it first came out either, although I still enjoyed Vanilla Doom. Brutal Doom is more "why the gently caress would I ever play vanilla again", map author intent be damned. I wish more people would accept Brutal Doom into their midsts like that one guy who made that map pack balanced around Brutal Doom.

I haven't played Brutal Doom yet. I came to enjoy picking apart vanilla user maps from pistol start as little, violent puzzles (or huge, actual puzzles in the case of Eternal Doom). I have nothing against the features and the videos have an undeniable magnetism to them, but I don't want Brutal Doom to just supplant Doom. It looks fun enough to stand on its own.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
So I'm away from my Windows tower for about 3 weeks right now and just have a laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I've got Zandronum working just fine, but I'm having two issues:

1) The music isn't playing quite right. FMOD doesn't produce any music at all, OPL Synth Emulation and Timidity++ are playing the MIDI's, but in a more low quality (or "Instrument Lite" version as it sounds) version. Does anyone have experience fixing FMOD on Linux for something like this? The sound effects (which actually effect gameplay) sound like they do on my Windows rig, but having the lower quality music is a bit of a disappointment.

2) I want to get a launcher to easily get custom PWADs setup and running. On Windows I use ZDL (as recommended in the OP). Going to the ZDL website, it doesn't have a pre-compiled program I can just run on Linux; just source code that I'm probably supposed to compile myself. Can anyone help me on this as well?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

misterdoo01 posted:

1) The music isn't playing quite right. FMOD doesn't produce any music at all, OPL Synth Emulation and Timidity++ are playing the MIDI's, but in a more low quality (or "Instrument Lite" version as it sounds) version. Does anyone have experience fixing FMOD on Linux for something like this?

Looking at the ZDoom wiki, the FMOD softsynth needs a DLS sound font. If you want, you can probably get the gm.dls from Windows with a good web search.

TiMidity++ should sound the same on Windows and on Linux, though, provided you use the same sound font (it doesn't use DLS but SF2 or PAT).

For OPL, I'd rather advise using an SVN build of ZDoom or GZDoom instead of Zandronum. It has improved a lot recently; even if I still don't like how OPL sounds the "Java" core is nigh tolerable.

(Also if you get ZDoom or GZDoom, you'll have two additional softsynths you can try, Gravis Ultrasound emulation and FluidSynth.)

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Looking at the ZDoom wiki, the FMOD softsynth needs a DLS sound font. If you want, you can probably get the gm.dls from Windows with a good web search.

TiMidity++ should sound the same on Windows and on Linux, though, provided you use the same sound font (it doesn't use DLS but SF2 or PAT).

For OPL, I'd rather advise using an SVN build of ZDoom or GZDoom instead of Zandronum. It has improved a lot recently; even if I still don't like how OPL sounds the "Java" core is nigh tolerable.

(Also if you get ZDoom or GZDoom, you'll have two additional softsynths you can try, Gravis Ultrasound emulation and FluidSynth.)

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into those options.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

that map pack balanced around Brutal Doom.

Which map pack is that? I love Brutal Doom, but it can be hard to find map packs that work well with it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Which map pack is that? I love Brutal Doom, but it can be hard to find map packs that work well with it.

He's probably referring to Brutalized Doom + Doom 2, which is a remixed version of both original campaigns with more enemies and wider combat areas. It's geared towards co-op, but it's a more consistent challenge than the old setup.

Personally, I think Community Chest 4 really gels well with it, but you really should consider Ultra-Violence as a genuine hard mode. Hurt Me Plenty is tough enough for most.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also possibly this -- Brutal Doom actually grew out of it, since it was originally supposed to merely be ArmageDoom's gore mod, cut out to simplify playtesting.

However, AD is pretty poor. Sarge made much better maps since. Still fun in a cheesy way, though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It looks like they're pulling out all the stops in the last days before the Cacowards.

Winter's Fury: Complete. It was 3/4 complete and in playable beta before, but now it's a full campaign. If the beta is anything to go by, it's also brilliant.

One more that I'm going to try out tomorrow is DTS-T. 33 level megaWAD. Apparently the big theme is progression. Levels start simple and easy, and get bigger, more complex and tougher. Some folks are saying the last few levels are some of the best out there, period. Word is the early levels are much weaker as they were developed many years ago.

Both are apparently much more plot-driven than most, with cutscenes, dialogue, etc. Seems they've gotten quite a few Cacoward nominations already.

Any other big last-second releases that I missed? Looks like 2012 was a pretty great year for Doom after all, just a little back-loaded.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 9, 2012

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Dominic White posted:

One more that I'm going to try out tomorrow is DTS-T. 33 level megaWAD. Apparently the big theme is progression. Levels start simple and easy, and get bigger, more complex and tougher. Some folks are saying the last few levels are some of the best out there, period. Word is the early levels are much weaker as they were developed many years ago.
This is an understatement. The maps are gigantic, box-like and barren. The dungeon level (map3?) honestly feels like a first mappping experiment from 1994.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Bloodmobile posted:

(Make every gun deal splash damage to yourself? Seriously?)

I see this mentioned as a common complaint all the time but I've still never had it actually happen to me during normal play. It only seems to happen if you're pressed directly against a wall and fire straight into it, and if that's something that comes up often . . . I'd call that abnormal play.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I see this mentioned as a common complaint all the time but I've still never had it actually happen to me during normal play. It only seems to happen if you're pressed directly against a wall and fire straight into it, and if that's something that comes up often . . . I'd call that abnormal play.

Pretty much this, you only get affected if you play badly. Also for those who played the original ultimate doom with Brutal doom on UV, which was the hardest level for you? I died most on Perfect Hatred (E4M2) and E4M6: Against Thee Wickedly.

Edit: Also I want to try out that Winters Fury set of levels but if I load it into GZdoom it crashes?

Turns out the official GZdoom releases are just too old.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 9, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

Turns out the official GZdoom releases are just too old.

We need a big flashing sign at the start of this thread saying 'DO NOT GET GZDOOM FROM THE OFFICIAL SITE', followed by a link to the latest SVN. That has tripped up so many people it's ridiculous.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What's ridiculous is that the website's link to the "latest version" is to 1.5.06 despite 1.6.00 being present.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Dominic White posted:

That has tripped up so many people it's ridiculous.

Yeah count me in, too. I'm pumped for Winter's Fury, it sounds awesome. Doom is pretty much my favourite game ever and sometimes I'm at loss for words how well it holds up to this day, with the awesome wad/mod community. Infinite play value. Nothing feels quite so satisfying like supershotgunning 2 formers and an imp to gibs is a single blast.

for anyone else struggling, this should have the latest GZdoom release:
http://svn.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

One thing annoys me though. I can't tab out of GZdoom, is there any way to fix this?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Oenis posted:

One thing annoys me though. I can't tab out of GZdoom, is there any way to fix this?

I have the same problem. Sometimes just mashing Alt and Tab a bit more works (sounds weird, but it's true), and sometimes I Ctrl+Alt+Del and bring up Task Manager (which frees me up to the desktop and still allows me to jump back into the game just fine.)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Old games have a really bad stigma with the 'younger generation' (I feel stupid typing those words). I'm 25 and I know a guy who is 21 who I couldn't convince to buy Chrono Trigger on iOS because it was too old, and he was specifically looking for an RPG similar to Final Fantasy. Another buddy of mine caught me playing Brutal Doom once and he couldn't understand why I would play something like that over Call of Duty. I tried out P1999 for Everquest, and someone actually said to me "Why don't you just play WoW?" as if I had never considered the possibility. Just a few short years can throw anybody off. I guess the big difference is I started with NES/SNES whereas others started with Playstation 1.

In a lot of ways, newer games are friendlier and are, on average, more tolerable than older games. It's safer to recommend something newer.

But there are exceptions like you say. I grew up with Doom 2 and DOS games so I have a soft spot for them. Personally, I know people who play still MUDs and even that's a bit too much for me.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
After finishing the first map of Winter's Fury it seems to be quite good really! Though I never found a rocket launcher/yellow keycard in that map.

The firing sound of the super shotgun is the most :effort: thing ever though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Chinook posted:

I have the same problem. Sometimes just mashing Alt and Tab a bit more works (sounds weird, but it's true), and sometimes I Ctrl+Alt+Del and bring up Task Manager (which frees me up to the desktop and still allows me to jump back into the game just fine.)

Try Ctrl-Shift-Esc to summon the task manager directly.

Also if you play in windowed mode, you should have no trouble alt-tabbing. Or pause the game (menu mode with Esc, console mode with ~, or actual pause key) and the mouse is no longer grabbed by the game window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Try Ctrl-Shift-Esc to summon the task manager directly.

Also if you play in windowed mode, you should have no trouble alt-tabbing. Or pause the game (menu mode with Esc, console mode with ~, or actual pause key) and the mouse is no longer grabbed by the game window.

Window mode would be an option, but as it's not borderless and I can still see my task bar it would kill me ~immersion~.

In fullscreen, pressing alt+tab or ctrl+shift+esc just gives me the windows cursor, with the doom menu screen still blocking view of my whole desktop and everything. It's really annoying because I have to quit doom everytime I want to look something up online or check my messages or whatever.