Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ME1's combat gets a lot worse of a rap than it deserves. If it were truly as bad as everyone says, it wouldn't be the hugely successful franchise it is. You think all the people who skip through all the dialogue are playing it for the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Doctor Reynolds posted:

With the way weapon loadouts worked in ME3, I legitimately don't understand the point of SMGs.

It's been a while but, iirc, if your Shep was one of the classes with a smaller carrying capacity, you really wanted an SMG with ultralight materials if you wanted a backup to a heavier weapon and still keep your cooldowns nice and low. In most cases you wouldn't need your backup, since ME3 wasn't stingy with clips at all and you had class abilities to work with, but at least their very trivial weights meant you could take one and lose nothing. SMGs could also function as decent tenderizers on shielded mechs and the like, if necessary. I may be misremembering but because of their higher rate of fire they had a higher chance of invoking an ammo side-effect on an enemy for a follow-up, if you were into that.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

precision posted:

True story: I have literally never used the Locust, in Single or Multiplayer, in ME3. SMGs are such utter poo poo (except the Hurricane).

It's truly bizarre how many guns they took from ME2, put into ME3, and had them behave completely different from how they were, with only the name and design being the same. See also: Claymore.

The Revenant was the worst example of that, for me. How the gently caress can something so heavy have such ridiculous recoil?

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. I haven't played the third game in a while, but since I'm going to go through the trilogy again I decided to read up on it. A lot of people said that SMG's and assault rifles were really weak because of how they interact with armor, is that true? And if so, would armor piercing ammo be enough to offset it?

I mean, I guess I could just use heavy pistols instead (I always liked them), but there's something satisfying about hosing an area in bullets.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

precision posted:

ME1's combat gets a lot worse of a rap than it deserves. If it were truly as bad as everyone says, it wouldn't be the hugely successful franchise it is. You think all the people who skip through all the dialogue are playing it for the story?

The combat isn't great, but honestly the equipment management system in ME1 is way worse.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I miss bubblegum pink Garrus and banana yellow Tali though :(

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Piedmon Sama posted:

I miss bubblegum pink Garrus and banana yellow Tali though :(

Not having fifty "different" weapons with essentially the same stats was worth the sacrifice though.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

HenessyHero posted:

It's been a while but, iirc, if your Shep was one of the classes with a smaller carrying capacity, you really wanted an SMG with ultralight materials if you wanted a backup to a heavier weapon and still keep your cooldowns nice and low. In most cases you wouldn't need your backup, since ME3 wasn't stingy with clips at all and you had class abilities to work with, but at least their very trivial weights meant you could take one and lose nothing. SMGs could also function as decent tenderizers on shielded mechs and the like, if necessary. I may be misremembering but because of their higher rate of fire they had a higher chance of invoking an ammo side-effect on an enemy for a follow-up, if you were into that.

I guess. Assault Rifles aren't that heavy, and powers do all the damage anyway. Then again I prefer playing as an Infiltrator, so maybe how I play the game is different to most people.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Has this been posted yet? It got a chuckle out of me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwT1h31bOjo

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

CPFortest posted:

The combat isn't great, but honestly the equipment management system in ME1 is way worse.

There are really only a couple of weapons worth having--the Spectre guns. Everything else gets to be omnigel. And I think there's an .ini file to set different upper limits on inventory, which is a huge help.

Mass Effect, to me, is always going to be running through some warehouse with Garrus and Wrex, shooting any idiot who screams "I will destroy you!" all while that sweet ME1 soundtrack plays.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Please put this in the OP, thank you.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Mass Effect, to me, is always going to be running through some warehouse with Garrus and Wrex, shooting any idiot who screams "I will destroy you!" all while that sweet ME1 soundtrack plays.

Warehouse? No, that was an elite science facility on a barren moon.

Wait, or was that the Military outpost?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Congratulations to 2012 Game of the Year Mass Effect 3, and Game of the Decade Mass Effect 2

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mass Effect still sucks

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

sassassin posted:

I'm not sure what the objection to only levelling at the end of missions is (aside from tradition?). Levelling up mid-level just interrupts the flow if you stop to assign new abilities, and if you don't then there's no functional difference.

I rarely (thought not never) stopped to assign new abilities in mid-stream, and it wasn't like I'd do it mid-firefight, but there's something about being sort of guaranteed your level up at the end of each major mission that felt sort of boring to me. Having the little "LEVEL UP!" window pop up mid mission might not have made sense tactically, but it was a nice reinforcer, and yeah, that's because that's how I'm used to playing RPGs and if it's tradition, I do not care. I prefer that to "welp, you finished the mission, here's your new level I guess." If the idea of the RPG is agency - that you to some degree can make different decisions on a micro or macro scale - anything that automates the level progression mechanics takes away from that.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Please put this in the OP, thank you.

Warehouse? No, that was an elite science facility on a barren moon.

Wait, or was that the Military outpost?

It was also the lair of the Cultists.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm sure this has been answered, but if I own a PS3 retail disc ME2 and buy digital ME1, my poo poo will transfer over yes? After my 360 died ME2 was one of the first games I replaced, but I could never even make it past that first Collector mission where Kaidan yells at you for not calling him. The universe just isn't the same without Fist hanging out in Afterlife, or Tali mentioning my helping her find data. It's stupid, but I earned those emails and one-liners!

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

With the way weapon loadouts worked in ME3, I legitimately don't understand the point of SMGs.

I have my current Sentinel using an Indra for long-range combat and a Blood Pack Punisher with ultralight materials in place of a pistol for shorter-range engagements, but that's really about it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Milky Moor posted:

Has this been posted yet? It got a chuckle out of me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwT1h31bOjo

Two hours and the video is already down? drat you Viacom! :argh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Piedmon Sama posted:

I know this is probably kind of a weird opinion but I actually liked the timing-focused, slow paced combat in ME1. ME3 combat is exhilarating yeah, but you're essentially being forced to start every fight at 30 yards and go from there. It feels faintly ridiculous to be carrying a five foot long sniper rifle with an extended barrel when every mission is essentially close combat. I love that ME1 would have an enemy base in the middle of a huge alien landscape, and you could engage it however you wanted--run right at it and kill everything that moved; peekaboo attacks with your tank from behind a rock; or you could totally perch up on a mountaintop and snipe the sentries in their tower from 1800 yards away.

This has always been my opinion, too. I love the wobbly sniper rifles and hate how the game has developed towards respawning waves of enemies dropping from the sky in front of you.

There's obvious technical reasons why things have moved that way, but that makes it no less disappointing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tezzeract posted:

Charging just wasn't balanced well in ME2 (along with most biotics on higher difficulties). They gave you a cool skill to use, but the entire system penalized getting out of cover. I guess that's why everyone played Soldier.
*cracks knuckles* Let me tell you about ME2 Vanguard. :shepface:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

CPFortest posted:

I was considering picking up the trilogy pack on PS3 so I could play the game while kicking back on the couch (why the gently caress doesn't the PC version have controller support?), but then I saw that the they're still using the Xbox interface for the inventory. The PC version's is still pretty bad, but holy poo poo that was loving awful on the 360.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

precision posted:

Mass Effect 1 was heavily ambitious though. The whole planet exploration thing was a pretty neat concept (if a little fiddly). Fully voice acted branching narrative wasn't a thing before Mass Effect. I do admit that the biotics were fun.

A lot of RPG combat is absolutely terrible (see Skyrim) but they do deliver a sense of open-ness, scale and interactivity that most pure combat games lack in.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tezzeract posted:

Fully voice acted branching narrative wasn't a thing before Mass Effect.

That's certainly not true. I'm pretty sure Wing Commander 3 came out before Mass Effect. And, that game actually had a branching narrative.

Mummy Brigade
Sep 12, 2004

Jeez. You're kind of a bitch.
In response to earlier SMG chat, the only SMG worth using is the Blood Pack SMG. That thing will gently caress up anything with armor in short order. It's also light as hell on my Vanguard (Blood Pack SMG with Ultralight Materials and an Eviscerator V has me at 200% Cooldown). True you have to pay for it but the same pack also gives you the Harrier which is also the only Assault Rifle worth using.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Veotax posted:

I was considering picking up the trilogy pack on PS3 so I could play the game while kicking back on the couch (why the gently caress doesn't the PC version have controller support?), but then I saw that the they're still using the Xbox interface for the inventory. The PC version's is still pretty bad, but holy poo poo that was loving awful on the 360.

Actually, the PS3 version uses the updated PC inventory (I think? It definitely doesn't use the Xbox version).

And I absolutely do not get the complaints about the inventory anyway. You don't actually need to sperg out and make sure you have the best gun at every single moment in time, and after you leave the Citadel you can just ignore every gun unless it's obviously awesome (is level IV or above). You don't get nearly enough armor to complain about that.

Now, weapon/armor mods, sure you get a dumptruck of those, but in the grand scheme they're just not that important until, again, you start getting really baller ones.

It doesn't take some huge investment of time to go down to Q and click "sell" on all your junk, and that's assuming you feel like bothering with money (which you don't have to). Otherwise, any time you get new poo poo, just hit Triangle and Omni-Gel everything. I don't remember if the Xbox version had the "take all" and "omni-gel" awesome buttons.

As to the combat, I just did the mission where you get Liara. The combat was great. Being in a wide open area, legitimately being all "oh poo poo oh poo poo" about the Geth Armiger, running from cover to cover, ordering Garrus up to a Sniper position and keeping Wrex near me, etc.

And while the Mako planet exploration does get frustrating if you do it a lot of times in a row, the planets look fantastic and it's essentially exactly like Starcraft/Starcraft 2 only with actual immersion instead of bland little EGA tiles.

Also Joker works much better as a cocky rear end in a top hat.

edit: To expand on "don't worry about guns", I'm rolling Engineer who only has 4 points in Pistols at level 11 (focusing on lockpicking Electronics/Decrypt, because those are my sperg targets, I can't stand finding something I can't open) and she's still completely combat useful.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The inventory is much easier to deal with if you don't open anything. It's not like you ever need to.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

sassassin posted:

The inventory is much easier to deal with if you don't open anything. It's not like you ever need to.

B-b-but the XP!

Although I'm pretty sure that even with all the ME1 DLC, you still can't get to level 60 in only two runs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zoran posted:

B-b-but the XP!

Although I'm pretty sure that even with all the ME1 DLC, you still can't get to level 60 in only two runs.

Even with all the conversation/Codex XP? I'm getting all that, since it's been long enough that I've forgotten most conversations, and like I said, I got to level 11 before the game even started.

sassassin posted:

Also this is true.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

precision posted:

Even with all the conversation/Codex XP? I'm getting all that, since it's been long enough that I've forgotten most conversations, and like I said, I got to level 11 before the game even started.

Even with killing all enemies on foot (as opposed to from inside the Mako), and all DLC it's not possible I think. The XP progression is exponential, so you'll level up early really quick, but the jump from 59 to 60 is like half a playthrough worth of XP :stare:

E: I mean, technically, there's a couple of instances where you can get infinite XP I believe. For example, I'm pretty sure the end-game section outside the Presidium elevator has a spot that will spawn infinite Geth Primes (or whatever it is that's spawning there) if you don't eventually move on, so you could theoretically get an infinite amount of XP there, one Prime at a time, but it'd probably be faster to just play up to that point again rather than grinding all the XP you need to get to level 60 just at that section :I

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 8, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

sassassin posted:

Is this a defense of the inventory?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Burning Mustache posted:

Even with killing all enemies on foot (as opposed to from inside the Mako)

Wait, do you get more XP if you get out and kill them? Because I'm lazy and I've been just nuking Rocket Troopers and still getting XP and loot from them.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

precision posted:

Actually, the PS3 version uses the updated PC inventory (I think? It definitely doesn't use the Xbox version).

It's been a hell of a long time since I played the Xbox version, but I'm pretty sure this is the same inventory (go to around 07:07):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfqxN3qRjSs

Either way, that's sure as gently caress not the PC inventory.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Yes, if you kill things with the Mako you only get 1/3 of the XP. I'm pretty sure that chain of Geth Destroyers eventually runs out because I tried it once. The only XP glitches I can recall are ones with some bugged crates that let you reopen them repeatedly for XP if you save and reload.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Getting to level 60 is very possible in two runs without cheating. I've done it. You just have to do everything and be sure to kill stuff on foot after weakening it with the Mako. I have Bring Down the Sky though, since it was a free download on PC (don't know if that's still the case).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's literally quicker to just do the main story planets three times.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

precision posted:

Wait, do you get more XP if you get out and kill them? Because I'm lazy and I've been just nuking Rocket Troopers and still getting XP and loot from them.

Yup, IIRC you get like twice the XP for killing an enemy on foot.
It's sufficient to just do the killing blow on foot, so you can shoot, like, Thresher Maws down to one bar worth of health with the Mako, then get out and finish it off with a single sniper rifle round or something like that to get the max. amount of XP, but doing this for every single enemy, including every single, worthless trooper, is ... well ... :effort:

(I did this in many previous ME1 playthroughs)

E: Zoran's got the number right apparently.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

sassassin posted:

It's literally quicker to just do the main story planets three times.

But all those unfinished quests... :ohdear:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Frankly, if you know what you're doing, you will kill things faster on foot than in the Mako anyway.

UnknownMercenary, I know you can get from level 1 to level 57 in one run, but what about the first run ever? Where you're capped at 50 and then have to get from 50 to 60?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah, I did that with my very first ME1 profile. 50-60 by doing everything and finishing off enemies on foot. I also drove around planets to mine as much as possible, and I hit 60 during the run up the Citadel.

When I did my Vanguard I hit 57 and just imported straight to ME2 because :effort:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Veotax posted:

It's been a hell of a long time since I played the Xbox version, but I'm pretty sure this is the same inventory (go to around 07:07):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfqxN3qRjSs

Either way, that's sure as gently caress not the PC inventory.

Fair enough, but it's definitely not the Xbox inventory either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

precision posted:

Fair enough, but it's definitely not the Xbox inventory either.

It's identical, as far as I can tell.

• Locked thread