Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dan Didio posted:

It's identical, as far as I can tell.

Well now I'm really confused. I don't remember it being as streamlined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

precision posted:

A quick Google search finds this as the Xbox interface>

Looks exactly the same to me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

precision posted:

Mass Effect's inventory issues weren't ever that it was too complicated.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How did that guy get six million credits? I scoured every drat planet and never turned anything into Omni-Gel and don't think I even got ONE million.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

How did that guy get six million credits? I scoured every drat planet and never turned anything into Omni-Gel and don't think I even got ONE million.
Eh? I remember it being fairly easy to get straight 9s in ME1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I may have bought a lot of expensive poo poo because I didn't realize you'd find all the best stuff in Random Box #24.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There was a bug, at least in the PC version of Mass Effect 1, where you could get infinite money by buying from one of the Citadel vendors and then selling to Dr. Michel or vice versa. This wasn't particularly useful since the game was easy enough and you never particularly wanted for credits, but it was fun being able to afford Spectre weapons before you even left the Citadel.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sassassin posted:

The inventory is much easier to deal with if you don't open anything. It's not like you ever need to.

this is a pretty good indication that the inventory system is really bad

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fag Boy Jim posted:

this is a pretty good indication that the inventory system is really bad

Not sure, I think most inventory systems are easier to use if you don't have to use them as often.

The main problem with it is that large amounts of useless clutter are tedious to deal with. Open no containers, get far less clutter. Simple.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

precision posted:

There's an achievement for getting to 1 million, and it's how you unlock the spectre weapons. And, a full set of spectre gear will cost you 3.75 million per character.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

exquisite tea posted:

There was a bug, at least in the PC version of Mass Effect 1, where you could get infinite money by buying from one of the Citadel vendors and then selling to Dr. Michel or vice versa. This wasn't particularly useful since the game was easy enough and you never particularly wanted for credits, but it was fun being able to afford Spectre weapons before you even left the Citadel.

You don't even need the infinite vendor bug. Just selling things to Dr. Michel nets an insane profit.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sassassin posted:

Not sure, I think most inventory systems are easier to use if you don't have to use them as often.

If the inventory system is annoying enough to manage that it outweighs the benefits of customizing your loadout, then it is a Bad System.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. Stab posted:

There's an achievement for getting to 1 million, and it's how you unlock the spectre weapons. And, a full set of spectre gear will cost you 3.75 million per character.

I finished ME1 without even knowing what a Specter weapon was.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

If the inventory system is annoying enough to manage that it outweighs the benefits of customizing your loadout, then it is a Bad System.

The inventory system doesn't annoy me at all. It's not nearly as annoying as Fallout 3/New Vegas.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

precision posted:

The inventory system doesn't annoy me at all. It's not nearly as annoying as Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Well, that's certainly true for me. FO:NV is the only game with an inventory so bad that I outright stopped playing because of it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Well, that's certainly true for me. FO:NV is the only game with an inventory so bad that I outright stopped playing because of it.

I just stopped picking up All The Things. I picked up All The Guns (that were expensive) and All The Drugs. Granted I only figured out to do that after I realized that Crafting is insanely pointless and money will never, ever be a problem, and restarted the whole game. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There were other problems with the game for me too, mostly that I had to stop playing for a couple weeks and completely forgot where I should go or what I was supposed to be doing. The environments were monochromatic and stale, and the game ran like poo poo on my system. This was like the third Obsidian game goons salivated over that I ended up disliking, so never again.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

I'm sitting at almost 4 million right now - once you start getting anything past about level IV (especially mods and ammo) they sell for a fuckload of cash and even more if you've been pumping up your charm/intimidate. Got 68 cryo ammo VII? You are rich! I make a habit of updating everyone to the best weapons I have and then running across the basement to the quartermaster and selling everything except for a couple of situational ammo types.

You should never want for money in this game, except for like the first hour or so. By that I mean the first hour after you leave the Citadel :v:

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

exquisite tea posted:

There were other problems with the game for me too, mostly that I had to stop playing for a couple weeks and completely forgot where I should go or what I was supposed to be doing. The environments were monochromatic and stale, and the game ran like poo poo on my system. This was like the third Obsidian game goons salivated over that I ended up disliking, so never again.
Although I quite liked New Vegas, it is telling perhaps that my fondest memories of the game concern its (somewhat rare) moments of comedy relief, rather than its central characters, plot/narrative, or its role-playing aspects. Also, the party hat. I wish more games let you wear party hats.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Fallout: New Vegas was the best action-RPG of 2010, a year which also saw the release of Spike VGA's Game of the Decade Award #2 Winner Mass Effect 2 was released. Think about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sombrerotron posted:

Although I quite liked New Vegas, it is telling perhaps that my fondest memories of the game concern its (somewhat rare) moments of comedy relief, rather than its central characters, plot/narrative, or its role-playing aspects. Also, the party hat. I wish more games let you wear party hats.

Cassie was the Best Companion.

So were Arcade and Veronica, but they were much more "comic relief" as you say. Hell even Boone was pretty funny.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't know how you DON'T get billions of credits without even trying. You get *so much* loot in ME1, all of which sell for a shitton to vendors.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't know how you DON'T get billions of credits without even trying. You get *so much* loot in ME1, all of which sell for a shitton to vendors.

Or hell, just go around scanning every planet you can. You get a fair bit of money for finding mineral deposits.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah. I don't think I ever completed ME without sitting at 9'999'999 credits and 999 omni gel. Even on my first Xbox playthrough when I didn't really go for 100% anything yet, and didn't know how to game the system. At later levels you're starting to collect an insane amount of level 6+ ammo, weapon and armor mods which all sell for a ton.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

precision posted:

Cassie was the Best Companion.

So were Arcade and Veronica, but they were much more "comic relief" as you say. Hell even Boone was pretty funny.
Someone didn't do their companion quests. Veronica has one of the saddest quests in the game. I couldn't stand to use her afterwards because her joking around was so obviously defensive. Now Raul, he brings the funny from dawn to dusk.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Someone didn't do their companion quests. Veronica has one of the saddest quests in the game. I couldn't stand to use her afterwards because her joking around was so obviously defensive. Now Raul, he brings the funny from dawn to dusk.
Raul is cool, Lily's cool (probably, I didn't actually do a playthrough with him/her/it), the humans can gently caress off.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I just can't imagine playing through FNV without ED-E. That little cowboy tune when he spotted enemies. :3:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Any tips for the thing at the end where you guard some truck for like 3 hours? I'm an infiltrator on insanity, it's such a pain in the rear end. I keep running out of ammo for my sniper rifle, and it seems like everyone can suddenly see through my cloak. As soon as a banshee shows up I get shanked immediately. I haven't had much trouble until now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Tempo 119 posted:

Any tips for the thing at the end where you guard some truck for like 3 hours? I'm an infiltrator on insanity, it's such a pain in the rear end. I keep running out of ammo for my sniper rifle, and it seems like everyone can suddenly see through my cloak. As soon as a banshee shows up I get shanked immediately. I haven't had much trouble until now.

There's some rocket launchers in the shattered store-fronts spread around the place. Get in their when it gets heavy, use the much more useful cover that's available there and then just rocket a Banshee or two with the missile launcher you can find in there.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Just running around like a lunatic, avoiding the endless Banshees and Brutes until the clock runs out and you can fire off the second set of missiles, is usually effective as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I just can't imagine playing through FNV without ED-E. That little cowboy tune when he spotted enemies. :3:

Oh man, ED-E was the best.

Raul was great but in both runs I did, I never managed to get to him until the game was mostly over, because he's hidden on Fuckoff And Die Mountain.

Travelling with Boone was just cheating.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

precision posted:

Oh man, ED-E was the best.

Raul was great but in both runs I did, I never managed to get to him until the game was mostly over, because he's hidden on Fuckoff And Die Mountain.

Travelling with Boone was just cheating.

Travelling with Veronica, too, though at least with her you have a better shot of getting into the fight because she doesn't headshot stuff from 3 miles out. Post-Lonesome Road, Boone's perk is a lot better, though, because anything Veronica can do, ED-E can also do. I keep telling myself I'll travel with Arcade, but Veronica's too hard to pass up.

On-topic: I'm getting the impression from the thread that there's more to Conrad Verner's appearance than his bit at the end of the tainted medigel quest when he takes a bullet for you. Where are you finding him to talk to him before that? Am I just missing him in the docks area (this is in cases where I know I resolved his appearance in 2 in such a way that he should show up in 3). And how/when does Aethyta the Asari matriarch bartender show up in Purgatory?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Craig Spradlin posted:

On-topic: I'm getting the impression from the thread that there's more to Conrad Verner's appearance than his bit at the end of the tainted medigel quest when he takes a bullet for you. Where are you finding him to talk to him before that? Am I just missing him in the docks area (this is in cases where I know I resolved his appearance in 2 in such a way that he should show up in 3). And how/when does Aethyta the Asari matriarch bartender show up in Purgatory?

After you talk to the doctor about the sabotaged medi-gel, head back towards the exit from the area and Conrad will be standing there. Talking to him makes his later appearance make more sense but you don't have to do it.

Also Aethyta is not in Purgatory, she works at the cafe on the Presidium where Liara is sitting. I think she appears after you speak to Liara there, you may need to complete the fetch quest for the asari working in the hospital for some reason too (biotic amps from Grissom Academy). She disappears after Priority: The Citadel II as Liara switches where she mills about on the Presidium then.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

EDIT: Never mind, misread stuff because I am dum

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 9, 2012

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sombrerotron posted:

I seem to remember that Aethyta never reappears at all after Citadel II.

Yeah, that's what he said.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Also Aethyta is not in Purgatory, she works at the cafe on the Presidium where Liara is sitting. I think she appears after you speak to Liara there, you may need to complete the fetch quest for the asari working in the hospital for some reason too (biotic amps from Grissom Academy). She disappears after Priority: The Citadel II as Liara switches where she mills about on the Presidium then.

No wonder I couldn't find her.

And I sort of wish there were one last response option with Conrad Verner, so that when he says "did...did I...help?", you could say "no, not really." I might be dead inside.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Craig Spradlin posted:

No wonder I couldn't find her.

And I sort of wish there were one last response option with Conrad Verner, so that when he says "did...did I...help?", you could say "no, not really." I might be dead inside.
So Conrad can actually get shot and die? I've never seen that. I got the happy ending. :3:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Lycus posted:

So Conrad can actually get shot and die? I've never seen that. I got the happy ending. :3:

I imagine if you don't do that one obscure rear end ME1 quest that can happen since the girl is from that quest. No idea though because I don't know of anyone who did everything on the citadel in 1 except that.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah if you didn't help the waitress sisters in ME1, Conrad dies.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Conrad's entire sequence is just using up obscure previously unused imports from Mass Effect 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Lycus posted:

You mean he can live? Man, I'm going to have to dig deeper into my ME1 imports.

• Locked thread