Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Well my first thing was to post the Falling Man from the WTC.

*photos that photographers could do nothing but document but were vilified for*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Yea, I was pretty upset at people calling that photographer a horrible person. Like I implied before, if he didn't have that camera, he'd probably just sit there slack jawed and watch it happen like most anyone would. Just because he isn't a hero doesn't make him a villain. :rolleyes:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
It's sad and terrible that this happened but you can't blame the people on the platform for not helping. It's not like everyone waiting for the subway is some sort of super hero. Without a great deal of training and experience most people aren't equipped to deal with things like that happening in front of them. I have seen experienced firefighters and paramedics freeze up on the job, you just can't predicate what anyone is gonna do in that situation until it happens.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Dorkroom Discussion: Post your dreams! just kidding, you murder people with your camera!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ahmeni posted:

Dorkroom Discussion: Post your dreams! just kidding, you murder people with your camera!
Yeah if you care what D&D thinks I fear for your mental health (and not in a good way like I do for Helmacron's).

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah if you care what D&D thinks I fear for your mental health (and not in a good way like I do for Helmacron's).

I'm pretty sure the only people who care about what D&D think are D&D themselves.

That being said, my ultimate dream would be to pick up a nice 5dmk3 and some astro mounts, just tour the frigid coastline of Iceland and just document the hell out of the aurora, Milky Way and a volcanic wonderland.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

D&D would not argue over something as dumb as the ethics of that photo. That thread is in GBS. And if you care what GBS thinks you should probably self-ban from the internet forever.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Regardless of whether or not the photographer could have helped the guy out instead of taking the photo, I still don't think that photo should have been run. It doesn't really contribute anything. It's shock for shock's sake. It's a tragedy, for sure, but it isn't a significant enough event to warrant the morbidity. It's not like a conflict photo that can shape people's political views or spark action. It doesn't help inform the public on a major event.

I don't think it should be illegal or anything like that; I just think it's a poor editorial decision, even regardless of the ethics of the decision to take the photo in the moment. But this is Rupert Murdoch's baby we're talking about.

Also, unrelated: a while ago, there was a video (I think I saw it here) of the studio session to make the product photos for an iPod or iPhone. It was crazy involved, with tons of precisely positioned flags and the like. Does anyone have a link to it? I can't seem to find it.

dakana fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 7, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well unfortunately the NY Post is all about producing shock for shock's sake. The paper has no integrity worth measuring and has basically built itself out of trolling everyone around them.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

Well unfortunately the NY Post is all about producing shock for shock's sake. The paper has no integrity worth measuring and has basically built itself out of trolling everyone around them.

Anything owned by News Corp is a festering boil on the collective rear end of the human race. gently caress Rupert Murdoch.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I'm at a photoshoot where the non-shooting models have to babysit the photographer's kids, because he's such a cheapskate he won't spring for a sitter. This is anarchy.

E: there is no toilet paper in this church basement. The 3 four year olds are now cranky. This is a living hell.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 7, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

red19fire posted:

I'm at a photoshoot where the non-shooting models have to babysit the photographer's kids, because he's such a cheapskate he won't spring for a sitter. This is anarchy.

Tape remote flashes to the children. Let them run free. It will be art.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

This actually sounds pretty awesome. Make it happen.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Buy 27 exposures of potential arts (i.e. dicks, butts?) - http://blogs.artinfo.com/artintheair/2012/12/06/w%E2%80%94%E2%80%94-projects-selling-artists-undeveloped-disposable-cameras-at-nada-miami/

Edit: buy for 1000 bucks that is

rio fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 8, 2012

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

dakana posted:

Regardless of whether or not the photographer could have helped the guy out instead of taking the photo, I still don't think that photo should have been run. It doesn't really contribute anything. It's shock for shock's sake. It's a tragedy, for sure, but it isn't a significant enough event to warrant the morbidity. It's not like a conflict photo that can shape people's political views or spark action. It doesn't help inform the public on a major event.

It documents the apathy and casual disregard for human life of the modern world, not only by showing a man about to die with no one even attempting to help, but the photographer himself doing nothing to help. The existence of the photo is itself evidence of what it portrays. People like to believe that if they found themselves in danger in a public place that somebody would save them despite the fact that if they were on the other end of that situation they would probably do nothing. It makes it clear just how little the strangers surrounding you every day of your life care about your existence. It forces us to acknowledge a truth that most of us don't want to.

I think it is an important photo that is not being properly considered because people are making hasty gut decisions and it was the frontpage photo of a lovely newspaper.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Reichstag posted:

Yeah, if there's one thing we need more of it's travelogues of wacky people and their affluent hijinks.
Fixed that for you. Helmacron qualifies on the first, dunno about the second, unless "affluent" is re-defined to "spends enough attention on funding to spend funding on attention".

Helmacron posted:

We should have a thread wherein we post our art/photo dreams that we won't follow through.

I got oodles.
Want to read that tumblr. Want to buy that book. Want to point at it on my coffee table (that I don't yet own, my aspirations are small and wooden) and say "I know that guy on the internet!" and otherwise display the ways the internet has ruined my brain but added amazing weirdness as well.

Helmacron posted:

My hostel thing would be about weird poor western tourists. And my photos would big colourful curvy things. And HPL's photos would be of people jamming.

How are you going to fund it? Where's the funding? Like, initial plane ticket is cheap (a grand or so), then pretty much the whole world is third world, so you'll be sweet on money, living in backpackers, making your own meals. You'll get drunk with friends you make, and then you'll move on, those friends turning into white dust that irritate your eyes on Facebook but that's still cool because they're not travelling as far as you, bro, and they'll remember you fondly and write things for your birthday when Facebook reminds them. But after that initial plane ticket, funds start going down, and you can't run on your saving, dude. You need to be pulling in some money and like, dude, you sell some poo poo back in a 1st world country via the Internet and you'll be living the high life. Kickstart a book on world indie bands. Go to shows in Ho Chi Minh City, Leh, Cheng Du and Murmansk and make an awesome 400 thick book on sweaty ethnic jamming in mad locales.
We need a Fight Club style threat here - HPL, if you're not living your dream in 6 months, Helmacron Reichstag will hunt you down and murder you. With bonus cynicism!

This needs to be quoted a second time. This, this is why Helmacron is my favourite poster on SA.

Helmacron posted:

You'll get drunk with friends you make, and then you'll move on, those friends turning into white dust that irritate your eyes on Facebook but that's still cool because they're not travelling as far as you, bro, and they'll remember you fondly and write things for your birthday when Facebook reminds them.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The problem is we have become completely soft and complacent as a society. We have sedentary jobs, our food and water come from holes in the wall, and our lives are filled with luxury and excess. The closest people come to physical danger and exertion is carrying their coffee mug back to their desks. So of course we are going to be dumbstruck and helpless as babies when a crisis occurs. We simply do not have the physical and cognitive training to handle these situations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

SoundMonkey posted:

Reminds me of this video I saw the other day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IoJ9hQj37M&t=9s
Guy has a helmet with a flash mounted on the top.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

INTJ Mastermind posted:

The problem is we have become completely soft and complacent as a society. We have sedentary jobs, our food and water come from holes in the wall, and our lives are filled with luxury and excess. The closest people come to physical danger and exertion is carrying their coffee mug back to their desks. So of course we are going to be dumbstruck and helpless as babies when a crisis occurs. We simply do not have the physical and cognitive training to handle these situations.

Excuse me but please refrain from posting excerpts from my batman fan fiction.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I can pretty much guarantee I won't be living my dream in 6 months since all I do these days is work, eat and sleep.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's what you do to get to a dream - sacrifice now, awesomeness later. You've got the first half down.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

That's what you do to get to a dream - sacrifice now, awesomeness later. You've got the first half down.

That's just what the bourgeoisie wants you to believe to keep you a happy worker drone.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That's just what the bourgeoisie wants you to believe to keep you a happy worker drone.
Some of us do have retirement accounts and a long term plan, buddy! :mad:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Dread Head posted:

Reminds me of this video I saw the other day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IoJ9hQj37M&t=9s
Guy has a helmet with a flash mounted on the top.

And there's a flash on his camera as well! I don't get it. :confused:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fragrag posted:

And there's a flash on his camera as well! I don't get it. :confused:

Is it possible he was doing panning shots, and using the flashes at second curtain to freeze the bikes? Seems like there's too much sun to pull it off but I can't imagine why anyone would need flashes in that situation.

Or maybe it was to make some shiny highlights on the bike?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Yeah I am not sure why he has it but is defiantly not something I have seen before.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

So I'm thinking I need to not lose parts to my umbrella swivels...

What, it worked :colbert:.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Well Reuters released some of the best photos of the year or whatever and some reddit person promptly reiterated how reddit completely misses the point by graphing the exif data.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

dakana posted:

Well Reuters released some of the best photos of the year or whatever and some reddit person promptly reiterated how reddit completely misses the point by graphing the exif data.

Wrap it up, Nikonailures.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

dakana posted:

Uh, I think it was just something people were curious about, not an effort to answer "what is the best camera of all time?" or any other question that you are implying in them supposedly missing the point.

I hate reddit too, but this is neat.

Also

the posted:

Wrap it up, Nikonailures.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I found the graphs pretty interesting. I would have never guessed the 16-35 lens to be the most popular.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

i dont understand? i don't see pentax? :colbert:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

guidoanselmi posted:

i dont understand? i don't see pentax? :colbert:

That's because the only Pentax cameras worth buying don't write EXIF data :ssh:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
The 16-35 is a save your rear end type lens for events. Probably a must have for editorial stuff because you have no idea what you'll find on location.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
True professionals wipe the EXIF data from their photos before providing them to the client. Hence a list of Canikon poseurs.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I believe reuters issues its photographers canon gear.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Uh, I think it was just something people were curious about, not an effort to answer "what is the best camera of all time?" or any other question that you are implying in them supposedly missing the point.

I was hoping for a line graph or something with a conclusion like "the best settings for a camera are ISO 136.3333 at f/2.92 and 1/119" and maybe a standard deviation so you could really precisely judge the quality of a photo without having to actually look at it.

Kazy posted:

That's because the only Pentax cameras worth buying don't write EXIF data :ssh:

Pentax doesn't make data backs? Or were they out of the cool guy club by then?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Paragon8 posted:

I believe reuters issues its photographers canon gear.

That may be so but don't other photographers submit stuff to them as well?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Dread Head posted:

That may be so but don't other photographers submit stuff to them as well?

yeah which would account for other camera models. just that the preponderance of shooters with reuters use canon which means that you can't really extrapolate those stats beyond "what reuters photojournalists shoot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Beastruction posted:

I was hoping for a line graph or something with a conclusion like "the best settings for a camera are ISO 136.3333 at f/2.92 and 1/119" and maybe a standard deviation so you could really precisely judge the quality of a photo without having to actually look at it.

Pentax doesn't make data backs? Or were they out of the cool guy club by then?

Not for the Pentax 67. :smug: