Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Also there is supposedly drifting in the F-Zero game? It showed up as one of the hints but I have no idea what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You guys are crazy, I love the f zero game.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also there is supposedly drifting in the F-Zero game? It showed up as one of the hints but I have no idea what the gently caress

It basically involves cranking the steering really fast.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Why the heck does this console require the game pad to do anything on the system level? Like the eShop. Is it really necessary to require the game pad when the Wiimote does the exact same functions of the tablet?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Astro7x posted:

Why the heck does this console require the game pad to do anything on the system level? Like the eShop. Is it really necessary to require the game pad when the Wiimote does the exact same functions of the tablet?

Why would you want to use a wiimote over tapping a screen? Just curious, but I think its deemed almost universally more convinient to just tap the touchscreen.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You might incidentally be using another controller at the time to play a game, when you decide to check out the eShop or Miiverse. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have some parts of the UI navigable with all controllers, but not others.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

You might incidentally be using another controller at the time to play a game, when you decide to check out the eShop or Miiverse. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have some parts of the UI navigable with all controllers, but not others.

Valid point, your right, you can use the wiimote to browse mii's on the main menu, others should follow that.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
So, I bought a pro controller the other day to do some ZombiU multi-player. We played a bit tonight but I kept noticing horrible latency in communications between the controller and the console. Is anyone else with a pro controller experiencing this? For instance, I tapped a direction with the right stick and the character turned about 180 degrees on-screen. Another time my view drifted downward for no reason. Sometimes I'll tap a direction and it takes about a second for the game to recognize the input and turn the character. I'm fairly certain it isn't anything like TV input lag; I've been playing SP with the gamepad without issue.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Frunk posted:

So, I bought a pro controller the other day to do some ZombiU multi-player. We played a bit tonight but I kept noticing horrible latency in communications between the controller and the console. Is anyone else with a pro controller experiencing this? For instance, I tapped a direction with the right stick and the character turned about 180 degrees on-screen. Another time my view drifted downward for no reason. Sometimes I'll tap a direction and it takes about a second for the game to recognize the input and turn the character. I'm fairly certain it isn't anything like TV input lag; I've been playing SP with the gamepad without issue.

No, my pro controller functioned as expected. Blops2 and NanoAssault played.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Frunk posted:

Sonic Kart plays just fine with mine.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bombadilillo posted:

I like it, its better then Octopus dance anyway, so your a liar :colbert:

Octopus Dance is the most bizarrely disparate link to a franchise. The Game & Watch must be spinning in its grave.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Octopus Dance is the most bizarrely disparate link to a franchise. The Game & Watch must be spinning in its grave.

No kidding. I was psyched to be the octopus while my friends try to steal my treasure, and then it was actually... that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

No kidding. I was psyched to be the octopus while my friends try to steal my treasure, and then it was actually... that.

Whenever friends come over to try out Nintendo land, they always ask what the Octopus game is and they're all "we should try it!"

My answer is always something like "We..we don't go there anymore.."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's hilarious with your face on the screen and people getting to see you fail though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

greatn posted:

It's hilarious with your face on the screen and people getting to see you fail though.

And the fact that it makes your face sway and quickly zooms in and pans out is pretty hysterical. Unfortunately it's a mediocre rhythm game that is not nearly as good as the multiplayer games.

Also, the Ninja star minigame is the one I've found most boring on Nintendo land. I might have had fun but it was obviously a tech demo.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Jet Set Jettison posted:

And the fact that it makes your face sway and quickly zooms in and pans out is pretty hysterical. Unfortunately it's a mediocre rhythm game that is not nearly as good as the multiplayer games.

Also, the Ninja star minigame is the one I've found most boring on Nintendo land. I might have had fun but it was obviously a tech demo.

I find the ninja star game to be really hard to actually do. Like for some reason I just can't get those stars to fling easily enough to actually do well. Played it once or twice and then never went back.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I got a platinum trophy even though I missed so many ninjas and my accuracy was terrible. They basically don't expect you to get past the super awkward controls.

That game would be ten times more fun if they let you play with the Wii Mote and use it to aim a ninja star shooting cannon.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Does the Wii U have a crappy wifi range or something? I can get three bars with my 3DS when my Wii U just constantly disconnects and struggles to stay online.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

demota posted:

Does the Wii U have a crappy wifi range or something? I can get three bars with my 3DS when my Wii U just constantly disconnects and struggles to stay online.
Been getting a bit of this myself. It never loses connection for long, but I'm getting regular dropouts when trawling through MiiVerse. Five seconds later it'll be back as normal. The few other devices I've tried in the same room get 2-3 bars and never drop.

farfromsleep fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 8, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

demota posted:

Try setting your router to one or the other extreme ends of the wireless spectrum, like channel 11 I think it is offhand.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
That seems to have helped a lot, thanks. Switched to 11 and it seems much better.

One minor gripe I've noticed is sometimes the browser screws up and starts displaying everything as plain text on a blank page. Once it happens it carries over to MiiVerse too. Restarting seems to fix it, and loading the eShop seemed to sort it out the last time it happened.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For anyone in Australia, EB Games is going to have their annual 24 online sale from midnight (Sydney Time) tonight. Looking at the members email I got, there's going to be a couple of good deals like ZombiU and Scribblenauts Unlimited for $48 apiece (Hell I think they're both $60-ish in the UK, so that's not a bad price), so might be worth checking out. I fully expect anything good will be gone within minutes (if the server doesn't fall over), but you never know.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
Now that this is out in other countries, the Mii Verse has gotten kind of weird. It seems like all of the regions have one Nintendoland board (which is awesome, everyone saying "I can't beat DK Crash Course Area 9" in every language), but things like Mario seem to have separate boards. Any idea what's up with that?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
When you guys transferred your Wii data to Wii U, did your saves from games transfer too? Wondering if I should stop playing Mario Galaxy and just wait to restart it on the Wii U or if my save file will survive a transfer process.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Soul Glo posted:

When you guys transferred your Wii data to Wii U, did your saves from games transfer too? Wondering if I should stop playing Mario Galaxy and just wait to restart it on the Wii U or if my save file will survive a transfer process.
Yes, save files transfer (unless they are the kind that can't be copied)

Edit: why is Area 9 so hard? All you do is hit R a few times :confused: Area 10 is evil because of how subtly difficult it is. I haven't even tried course 2 yet, though, so I don't know how deep the rabbit hole goes yet.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 8, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Actually even unmovable saves get grabbed on the system transfer. Shame I didn't know before hand or I wouldn't had sold Smash Bros Brawl.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Sweet, thanks guys.

Now for more shine gets. :toot:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bombadilillo posted:

Why would you want to use a wiimote over tapping a screen? Just curious, but I think its deemed almost universally more convinient to just tap the touchscreen.

It doesn't make sense to switch controllers to do such simple things like browse the shop. I've been playing Mario with the Wiimote exclusively... it just kills me to have an HD Nintendo console and be looking at a tiny screen so much.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

farfromsleep posted:

That seems to have helped a lot, thanks. Switched to 11 and it seems much better.

One minor gripe I've noticed is sometimes the browser screws up and starts displaying everything as plain text on a blank page. Once it happens it carries over to MiiVerse too. Restarting seems to fix it, and loading the eShop seemed to sort it out the last time it happened.

That's a browser thing that just happens when it can't download the stylesheets/CSS. If your connection's bad or the server's under heavy load that'll happen now and then, you see it on Amazon or SA from time to time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

greatn posted:

Speaking of long menu delays, Assassin's Creed 3 is the worst. When I press R to change weapons or tools I have to wait for it to suspend the game, play a 2 second animation, then I can select a weapon or tool, release r, and wait two more seconds. Is it as bad on other versions? It wasn't like this in II. Why not put tools on the touch screen, or just toggle with r, or better yet just use the compass menu like before where the game doesn't even stop and I can switch while running.

Is there another way to switch tools and I'm doing it wrong? I know the d pad has weapon selection.
I remember skimming an AC3 complaint thread over on NeoGAF and that vaguely sounds like something that was mentioned, so I guess it was just a weird rear end design choice for the game in general rather than anything specific to the Wii U one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Astro7x posted:

It doesn't make sense to switch controllers to do such simple things like browse the shop. I've been playing Mario with the Wiimote exclusively... it just kills me to have an HD Nintendo console and be looking at a tiny screen so much.

I play Mario with the pad and look at the tv :confused:

Edit: responding to earlier, if you turn really fast in the F-Zero game, the controller desyncs and you basically insta-lose.

Ztrapper
Jan 8, 2011

japtor posted:

I remember skimming an AC3 complaint thread over on NeoGAF and that vaguely sounds like something that was mentioned, so I guess it was just a weird rear end design choice for the game in general rather than anything specific to the Wii U one.

Yeah, the developers said they messed the weapons-menu-interface, and hope to fix it in one of the next patches. They claimed they had a more "quick" interface, but decided to ditch it in the last minute, because they found it to interfere with the movement-interface (can't imagine how these two are related but hey, i'm not a game designer so why should i know). hence - the horrible "click the shoulder button wait 1 minuted and than change weapons" interface.

It's not a deal breaker (AC3 still a great game), but it is pretty annoying. I played it on my PS3, and hoped they'll get it fix in the WiiU version. sad to hear that's not the case.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So with the release of this in Japan, have people started streaming monster hunter yet? Can't find a thing on youtube but since it'll probably be in Japanese that's kind of hard to find.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I play Mario with the pad and look at the tv :confused:

I find that as I play my eyes drift to the pad depending on how I'm sitting rather than the TV with mine even noticing. I prefer the pad, but I wish I could easily toggle the screen off.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Looks like fail0verflow already broke the Wii U system

http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2012/8days.html

This is some sort of SHA-1 hash. Wonder what it's for.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Wasn't there supposed to be some thing with linking Wii Shop Channel activity in Wii Mode to your Nintendo Network account? I would like to do that but I can't find the option anywhere.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's not something you have to actively do. When you start up Wii mode as a user with a Nintendo Network account, all Shop Channel activity will be associated with that account, whether it's purchases or a system transfer.

If you log in as a user without a Nintendo Network account, you actually can't even use the Wii Shop Channel.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has anyone else found that trying to turn on the system with the gamepad power button doesn't always work, but turning on the system with its power button then turning on the game pad works and syncs fine? Really weird.

Also my parents gave me Nintendoland for my birthday, yaaay :3:

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Ciaphas posted:

Has anyone else found that trying to turn on the system with the gamepad power button doesn't always work, but turning on the system with its power button then turning on the game pad works and syncs fine? Really weird.

I've had a 100% success rate so far turning the system on with the gamepad, so I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sp00nman
May 14, 2004

All this Christmas spirit is gives me a raging boner!

Ciaphas posted:

Also my parents gave me Nintendoland for my birthday, yaaay :3:
This has happened to me a handful of times so far.

• Locked thread