Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Makarov_ posted:

A political PR / state lobbyist in Colorado has started showing up in the media, claiming to represent "businesses" concerned about employees showing up to work high, or using marijuana on the job. Her name is Sandra Hagen Solin, and her company is Capitol Solutions.

Has anybody told her the election was a month ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Makarov_ posted:

A political PR / state lobbyist in Colorado has started showing up in the media, claiming to represent "businesses" concerned about employees showing up to work high, or using marijuana on the job. Her name is Sandra Hagen Solin, and her company is Capitol Solutions.

My guess is she's working for Coors, or some other corporation like Corrections Corporation of America, but who knows? Another organization was mentioned, "Colorado Concern" or something like that. Anyone know who she is carrying water for?
Probably not Coors. I don't think cannabis directly competes with beer.

Probably CCA, possibly some sort of social conservative organization.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Coors probably has a problem because he's an rear end in a top hat, not because it's competition.

Pedrophile
Feb 25, 2011

by angerbot
You guys may be on to something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBC_8zSYjOs

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

fade5 posted:

That isn't really comparable, since the reason a child usually ends up overdosing on something is that they think "well if one is good, two is better". It's not even drugs, a kid can overdose on vitamin supplements if they take/eat too many of them.

And what would a child--I'm thinking eight to ten as a "child"-- be doing in a pharmacy, without a parent supervising them, buying acetaminophen?

On topic, can someone explain the big draw of smoking pot, legal or not? I may be weird, but I've just never seen the appeal of smoking (either marijuana or tobacco) at all. You can add drinking to that as well. I probably have a different perspective though; for a little background on my view, I'm enrolled in a physical conditioning class that emphasizes running and cardio exercise, and smoking anything, be it marijuana or tobacco, kills your distance running ability, so I look at it from a purely health perspective.

I'm still really happy Colorado and Washington passed the bills; throwing people in jail for smoking pot while allowing cigarettes to be sold legally was the one of the most idiotic and hypocritical things ever in my view. And we're already seeing the changes:

Think of all the time and money that will be freed up with no more pot cases in Colorado and Washington. Fewer prisoners as well, so less crowding in jails, so less stress on the prison system. And of course all the sweet tax money from legal marijuana. I think that's what's going to be the real push behind full national legalization; when other states see all the new tax money Colorado and Washington are getting and say "Hey we want some of that :420: cash too!"

Weed is a very powerful antidepresent,insomnia cure and makes you love everone even Stalin and Hitler

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

The Scythians used to get high on weed an d drink from the shkulls of the people that they killed!!!!!!!!!!! :black101:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kenshin posted:

Cannabis legalization DOES actually appear to reduce alcoholism.

I'm less sure it competes with recreational beer drinking, to be fair.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dudes! posted:

The Scythians used to get high on weed an d drink from the shkulls of the people that they killed!!!!!!!!!!! :black101:

My brother once told me Viking berserkers would smoke pot before going into battle.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Broken Machine posted:

I would be surprised to see the feds crack down on states legalizing cannabis.

Unfortunately, they seem to be considering doing exactly that: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/07/us/marijuana-initiatives-in-2-states-set-federal-officials-scrambling.html

It is going to create a hell of a mess with states rights, undermining a democratic vote and federal powers. Not to mention many backers of legalization voted for Obama. It seems the Justice Department wants a hard crackdown on the states. Despite this, the genie is out of the bottle. Whatever their response is, it is going to take time. Once people see that legalized weed is not the end of civilization and there are no overdoses in the streets, it is going to be harder and harder to justify such a severe reaction. Such as DEA agents kicking in doors and arresting recreational pot users.

At least I hope so. I'm probably asking too much for a sane reaction to drug policy in this country.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 7, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
A hard crackdown would be incredibly stupid on Obama's part. "Thanks for re-electing me, liberal voters! Now off to jail with you!" The GOP didn't manage to kill liberal voter enthusiasm, but Obama certainly might.

DonnyJepp
Jul 4, 2004

Kenshin posted:

She actually lists CCA as a past client:
http://www.capitol-solutions.com/cs/clients.php

http://www.sos.state.co.us/lobby/LobbyistSummary.do?quitButtonDestination=lobbyistResults&id=1819&lobbyistId=20017000584

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Gort posted:

My brother once told me Viking berserkers would smoke pot before going into battle.

I always heard it was the magic mushrooms. If I was going to run into battle naked armed with a fuckoff huge sword, I'd pick the mushrooms. LOTS.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Sound posted:

I always heard it was the magic mushrooms. If I was going to run into battle naked armed with a fuckoff huge sword, I'd pick the mushrooms. LOTS.

There were also psychedelic molds present in bread and beer at the time.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Hah, there we go. Mystery solved. She's a concern-troll for the prison industry.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kenshin posted:

Hah, there we go. Mystery solved. She's a concern-troll for the prison industry.
Pretty hosed up that she may just get her way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dapper Dan posted:

Unfortunately, they seem to be considering doing exactly that: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/07/us/marijuana-initiatives-in-2-states-set-federal-officials-scrambling.html

It is going to create a hell of a mess with states rights, undermining a democratic vote and federal powers. Not to mention many backers of legalization voted for Obama. It seems the Justice Department wants a hard crackdown on the states. Despite this, the genie is out of the bottle. Whatever their response is, it is going to take time. Once people see that legalized weed is not the end of civilization and there are no overdoses in the streets, it is going to be harder and harder to justify such a severe reaction. Such as DEA agents kicking in doors and arresting recreational pot users.

At least I hope so. I'm probably asking too much for a sane reaction to drug policy in this country.

All that article is really saying is that they are "considering their options" and having high level meetings about the subject. They aren't going to give hints as to what they're going to do before they do it, hence the "leaving all options on the table" talk and speculation of how they would attack the law.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Have there been any updates with:

The meetings between CO/WA attorney generals (or was it governors?) and Eric Holder.

or

The proposed bill(s) to exclude CO/WA from the CSA?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sound posted:

Not psychedelics. Think Deliriants. Amanitas and such.

Or men who have such severe PTSD that they fly into a murderous rage on the battlefield.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Have there been any updates with:

The meetings between CO/WA attorney generals (or was it governors?) and Eric Holder.

or

The proposed bill(s) to exclude CO/WA from the CSA?

I know Washington progressive organizations are trying to get our Governor-elect to go to bat for us on this one instead of just our attorneys.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Yeah it's probably safer to attribute classical and medieval heroism to a lifetime of PTSD than it is to shrooms.

Dudes! posted:

I really want to believe this is true though

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Cannabis legalization DOES actually appear to reduce alcoholism.

I'm less sure it competes with recreational beer drinking, to be fair.

I have never woken up under a car in the parking lot of a bar after smoking too much. I have never woken up in my bathtub with the shower still running after smoking too much. I have never hosed a fat chick after smoking too much.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

I have never woken up under a car in the parking lot of a bar after smoking too much. I have never woken up in my bathtub with the shower still running after smoking too much. I have never hosed a fat chick after smoking too much.

If these things happen with any sort of regularity, that is alcohol abuse, and it's counted as such in most statistics.

(Well, except the "hosed a fat chick" part, what the gently caress dude?)

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

cargo cult posted:

Yeah it's probably safer to attribute classical and medieval heroism to a lifetime of PTSD than it is to shrooms.

Probably the both, to be honest. Warfare and drugs have walked hand in hand for entire human history, pretty much. Soldiers have loved to get drunk and use any means possible to get completely wasted as long as there has been soldiers, because war is kinda lovely. I really don't think Vikings taking shrooms would be such a stretch.

Norton Ghostride
Apr 30, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sound posted:

Fly Agaric mushrooms, different kind of 'magic'.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Amarkov posted:

If these things happen with any sort of regularity, that is alcohol abuse, and it's counted as such in most statistics.

(Well, except the "hosed a fat chick" part, what the gently caress dude?)

Lets just say I was abusive in college.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

He should have mentioned that there's no control group. Let's get our critical epidemiology right, people! :eng101:

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Lets just say I was abusive in college.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, lots of people's college drinking habits are classified as abuse. I'm just saying that diminished rates of blacking out and waking up in $hilarious_situation would be accounted for in a study of marijuana use and alcohol abuse.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

The official University of Colorado response seems to be "gently caress voters, money is involved. Also, drugs are bad, mmkay?"

CU alumni email posted:

When Colorado voters in November passed Amendment 64, which legalized small amounts of marijuana for personal use, it led to a number of questions. Most uncertainty surrounds the conflict between the new state law and federal law, under which marijuana remains illegal. Amendment 64 will be signed into law in January and take effect in January 2014.

But for the University of Colorado, the issue is clear. Marijuana threatens to cost the university nearly a billion dollars annually in federal revenue, money we can ill afford to lose.

I was personally opposed to Amendment 64 and worked on my own time to defeat it. But it passed and CU, like many entities, is working to determine the implications.

The glaring practical problem is that we stand to lose significant federal funding. CU must comply with the federal Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act, which compels us to ban illicit drugs from campus. Our campuses bring in more than $800 million in federal research funds, not to mention nearly an additional $100 million in funding for student financial aid. The loss of that funding would have substantial ripple effects on our students and our state. CU contributes $5.3 billion to Colorado's economy annually, a good portion of it derived from our research.

Additionally, we have worked hard to fight the image of CU as a party school. While we are not naïve about the behavior of some of our students, we know that the party school image is vastly overstated. The publications that promote such nonsense, such as Playboy and the Princeton Review, use research methodology that would earn them an "F" in any CU class. The vast majority of our students are serious and hardworking and don't appreciate that their school's reputation is sullied by suspect methodology and vague notions.

Likewise, the 4/20 event we worked to shut down last year (and will continue to in coming years), paints a picture of CU that is far from accurate. More than two-thirds of those who participate are not CU students. Regardless, it is not what we want our university known for.

We are not only within our rights to ban marijuana on our campuses, it is the right thing to do. Many insist the legalization votes in Colorado and Washington state are in part a referendum on the war on drugs, and the point is hard to argue. That is a discussion we should have as a society. However, in a tenuous funding environment, the possibility of losing nearly a billion dollars is a chance we simply cannot take. We have better things to focus on.

For feedback, contact officeofthepresident@cu.edu

Sincerely,
Bruce D. Benson
Bruce Benson
President

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
Ehh. Underage drinking is also banned, but nobody really cares about it. I'm perfectly fine with universities saying the right things to keep their funding; strong statements against marijuana don't actually mean they intend to stringently enforce their policy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Inferior Third Season posted:

The official University of Colorado response seems to be "gently caress voters, money is involved. Also, drugs are bad, mmkay?"

It's restricted for under-21s anyway and that'd be the vast majority of people living on campus.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

It's restricted for under-21s anyway and that'd be the vast majority of people living on campus.

Yeah pretty much. Anyone who really wants to do either thing can just go to an off campus party same as always.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Inferior Third Season posted:

The amendment has a specific provision that lets schools (and other entities) control marijuana use on their property. Voters didn't say "make weed legal for everyone everywhere all the time."

As a practical matter, the school has to abide by federal law because they're dependent on federal funding. If they didn't ban drugs on campus, they'd be considered no better than an unaccredited diploma mill when it came time to hand out federal education money. That's why the University of Washington has adopted a similar official stance, even though by all accounts the personal views of many people in university administration are very different.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 8, 2012

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Sound posted:

Berserkjasveppir. Berserker Mushrooms. No idea what they are in English. Just a bit of one though, eat a whole one and you die. Same family as Angel of Death mushroom.

We couldn't grow cannabis here before greenhouses most of the time.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

The amendment has a specific provision that lets schools (and other entities) control marijuana use on their property. Voters didn't say "make weed legal for everyone everywhere all the time."

As a practical matter, the school has to abide by federal law because they're dependent on federal funding. If they didn't ban drugs on campus, they'd be considered no better than an unaccredited diploma mill when it came time to hand out federal education money. That's why the University of Washington has adopted a similar official stance, even though by all accounts the personal views of many people in university administration are very different.

Colorado also gives jack poo poo for funding to the public universities these days as compared to, say, 10-20 years ago. Thanks, TABOR! CSU has had to raise tuition a ton, even for in-state students, just to keep functioning. I'm sure CU is the same. They really aren't kidding when they say they can't afford to lose federal funds.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't see why anybody is concerned about the University of Colorado's policy, kids are going to go out on that green and smoke more weed, happily than they've already done countless times before.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
What are the vegas odds on the Feds crushing this?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Full Battle Rattle posted:

With what army of federal enforcement agents can they accomplish what used to be done by state and local cops on the ground? How many people do you think work for the DEA, and do you think they have enough surplus manpower to pursue state-legal marijuana possessors instead of those in other states, or more important targets altogether?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mdemone posted:

With what army of federal enforcement agents can they accomplish what used to be done by state and local cops on the ground? How many people do you think work for the DEA, and do you think they have enough surplus manpower to pursue state-legal marijuana possessors instead of those in other states, or more important targets altogether?

There are tons of ways that they can crush it without boots on the ground.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sources says its unlikely given the current Climate in California. Granted, you might end up as one the unlucky few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I assume they're high. (Perhaps not the best way to word that response.) I'm more interested to see where Washington state is in a year: selling out of storefronts? Horns locked with the DEA?

• Locked thread