Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

onepixeljumpman posted:

If no one manages to find that fan-sub, everyone at least needs to see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R6nr_ZZwUI

This is Ginguiser's launch sequence. Counting that it doesn't really start until about 0:15, it's 2:49 long.

Chillest giant robot team ever, they're in no rush to save the world, the aliens will still be there in a couple of hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

But listen to that funky background music! 70s robot shows had the best music, this is truth. Even completely awful shows had totally swinging soundtracks.

This is true.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

onepixeljumpman posted:

This is Ginguiser's launch sequence. Counting that it doesn't really start until about 0:15, it's 2:49 long. For comparison sake,

I have never been so bored at watching a group of mecha launch and transform into robots holy poo poo. That music in particular just made that scene have negative excitement, it actually drained enthusiasm from my body.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 27, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
What was the point of the cards, anyway?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

onepixeljumpman posted:

You did see this one, right? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQuNiGwiq5Q

I could pick apart a ton of relatively small things (why does a giant robot dragon monster beating on the tower not break the glass, but regular sized people do break it by falling through it) but the big thing is that horrible transformation and post transformation fight. Because that fight is so bad, it makes the bad animation that much more apparent.

I know 70s shows weren't always up to snuff, but that transformation is an extra special layer of low budget terrible.
Is that an actual literal crabstick at about 3:20?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

What was the point of the cards, anyway?
They're stage magicians.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Guyver posted:

They're stage magicians.

I think he's talking about when that one robot threw cards at the big robo-dragon. He just...summons cards and they fly at the monster and do nothing.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I think he's talking about when that one robot threw cards at the big robo-dragon. He just...summons cards and they fly at the monster and do nothing.

Yeah well maybe that dragon is just a better magician :colbert:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mutant Headcrab posted:

They're an illusion to dazzle and mystify!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I think they were an actual attack but they forgot to animate the monster taking damage. That is the most likely answer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What are the odds of the Ginguiser mecha making it to a SRW game?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Probably the same odds it has of ever animating correctly.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

So I've been inspired to go watch classic super robot shows after watching TTGL and playing some Super Robot Wars games. I've gone through New Getter Robo and Shin Mazinger Shogeki so far, since those are apparently the easiest places to start. Where do I go next with those two series? There's enough series and OVAs for each that I'm kind of paralyzed with all this choice.

On a similar note, there anything else that gives an updated take on classic super robot shows/is a modern show with super robot sensibilities? I've watched Big O and Giant Robo, too, and I like the relatively focused (not 78 episode long) approach to "giant robots fight big things."

Finally, would the ending to New Getter Robo make more sense if I'd seen more Getter Robo, or is it pretty incomprehensible either way? What the hell are Getter Rays anyways?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The end of New Getter alludes to some really freaky poo poo from the later parts of the manga but is still kinda it's own thing. Getter Rays never really got explained in great depth and are only known by things they've caused, like powering giant robots and causing humans to evolve and overthrow the dinosaurs. So yeah, Spiral Power is Getter Rays, though Getter Rays would probably try to eat Spiral Power or something.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Valentin posted:

So I've been inspired to go watch classic super robot shows after watching TTGL and playing some Super Robot Wars games. I've gone through New Getter Robo and Shin Mazinger Shogeki so far, since those are apparently the easiest places to start. Where do I go next with those two series? There's enough series and OVAs for each that I'm kind of paralyzed with all this choice.

On a similar note, there anything else that gives an updated take on classic super robot shows/is a modern show with super robot sensibilities? I've watched Big O and Giant Robo, too, and I like the relatively focused (not 78 episode long) approach to "giant robots fight big things."

Finally, would the ending to New Getter Robo make more sense if I'd seen more Getter Robo, or is it pretty incomprehensible either way? What the hell are Getter Rays anyways?

The best place to start with Getter Robo is probably the Getter Robo manga (Getter Robo, G, Go, Shin). Pretty much everything that's ever been made in the Getter Robo name is a giant love letter to that manga in one way or another.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Valentin posted:

For Mazinger I can only in good faith recommend the first series of Mazinkaiser OVAs and that's about it honestly, the rest is pretty dated and long as hell. With regards to Getter Robo you can either read the manga (do this) or watch the Getter Robo Armageddon OVA.

And no, the ending to New Getter won't really make sense at all. I can't really suggest any "Super Robot" shows that aren't moderately long.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
You might as well just continue backwards through time with those classic series and watch the Mazinkaiser OVA and Armageddon. For modern day with super robot sensibilities show, I liked Gear Fighter Dendoh. Daiguard might also be right up your alley.

Also, Getter Robo, regardless of version, makes exactly as much sense you want to let it. For their mechanics, Getter Rays and Spiral Energy, outside a nitpick I'm probably not thinking of, are the same thing down to the colors. For their nature, you'll probably understand it easier if you read the manga, specifically Getter Robo Go.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Valentin posted:

Take Spiral energy from TTGL and combine it with real life radiation so that if you aren't "WILLFUL", "GUTSY, "YAAAAUUUAAAAGGHHH" or "Manly" enough, it kills you(in large doses). It also kills you if you are a dinosaur. That's what I've learned, though I haven't read the original manga yet.

As for the ending of New Getter, I'm pretty sure it goes They killed gods, then Ryoma, being the most hot blooded, combines with getter rays, and using it's infinite power, warps into the getter ray universe to fight forever against other getters, or something like that.

I would suggest Getter Robo Armageddon

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

onepixeljumpman posted:

For their mechanics, Getter Rays and Spiral Energy, outside a nitpick I'm probably not thinking of, are the same thing down to the colors. For their nature, you'll probably understand it easier if you read the manga, specifically Getter Robo Go.

This isn't quite right, Getter Rays are apparently conscious with a will of their own, and their ultimate goal appears to be the incorporation of all life in the universe into themselves.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Valentin posted:

Since you bring them up I'm assuming you liked both Shin Mazinger and Giant Robo. In that case, you should take a look at the other shows Imagawa directed: G Gundam and the 2004 Tetsujin-28 remake. The latter definitely fits your "updated take on classic super robot show" criteria, and as a nice twist you'll also recognize a few characters, robot designs, and names from Giant Robo. For example, Kenji's a major character in it (this is not a spoiler since he's in the opening).

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

None of the Getter Robo OVAs are particularly good ways to familiarize yourself with Getter Robo. They, along with SRW, will probably acclimatize to some of the concepts and characters but it's a really spotty acclimatization. New Getter Robo is probably the best of the bunch as it's a butchered version of the original manga. Shin Getter Robo Vs. Neo Getter Robo is an extremely butchered version of the Getter Robo Go manga (one of the sequels to the original manga) and Getter Robo Armageddon is just an incomprehensible mess imo. The rest of the animated adaptions are pretty iffy.

Like others have mentioned the Getter Robo manga is a better way to "get into" Getter. It's kind of a mess because it spans a bunch of titles but basically this website has it. The original and G are both very indebted to Go Nagai's original Mazinger Z manga but when Ken Ishikawa returns to the book in the 90's with Go, it gets super weird. Unforunately, Ishikawa died before being able to finish Getter with Getter Robo Arc in 2006.

For Mazinger, Shin Mazinger is the only one I'd say was *good*. Mazinkaiser is probably the second best one but it's essentially an adaption of the same material (the original 5 volume manga) as Shin Mazinger, except worse. That original manga is definitely worth a read though - it's not amazing but it's interesting to see how Imagawa strip-mines it for Shin.

e: spelling

Adam Strange fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 9, 2012

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Valentin posted:

Gunbuster and Diebuster are both 6 episodes long. Watch them in that order.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

A human heart posted:

This isn't quite right, Getter Rays are apparently conscious with a will of their own, and their ultimate goal appears to be the incorporation of all life in the universe into themselves.

That's why I distinguished between nature and mechanics. Nature wise, Getter Rays are the cosmic will of evolution itself that chooses life forms to use it, and Spiral Energy is the manifested willpower of individual or collective living things. Mechanically, they're the same thing: Green/Purple energy does whatever it wants like creating mass to the point going beyond the conservation of energy because it's an infinite energy source IF YOU CAN TAKE IT, responding to great willpower usually by doing the above, they're the specific weakness of a particular enemy, it goes on. The big difference is that enough Getter Rays will kill you if you can't take it.

Again, just read Getter Robo Go. It will say things like what I just said, but it'll also have a dinosaur cannon that shoots magma.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And let's not forget the best panel ever

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

quote:

That's why I distinguished between nature and mechanics. Nature wise, Getter Rays are the cosmic will of evolution itself that chooses life forms to use it, and Spiral Energy is the manifested willpower of individual or collective living things. Mechanically, they're the same thing: Green/Purple energy does whatever it wants like creating mass to the point going beyond the conservation of energy because it's an infinite energy source IF YOU CAN TAKE IT, responding to great willpower usually by doing the above, they're the specific weakness of a particular enemy, it goes on. The big difference is that enough Getter Rays will kill you if you can't take it.
It seems odd to me to talk about the mechanics of a fictional thing. They're different thematically which is far more important that how they actually work. I always figured the reason they killed the dinosaurs isn't because dinosaurs aren't allergic to them or whatever but because the getter rays judged the dinosaurs to be unworthy and destroyed them to allow humans to appear on the scene.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

Mazinger and Getter Robo are about FRIENDSHIP (between men and also robots)

From Mazinkaiser and Great Mazinger vs. Getter Robo, shamelessly stolen from tumblr.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

So, Getter Robo Saga, Mazinkaiser (maybe), Getter Robo Armageddon (maybe), Gun/Diebuster? Got it.

Also, gently caress dinosaurs and Getter Rays don't need to make sense, got it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Adam Strange posted:

Mazinger and Getter Robo are about FRIENDSHIP (between men and also robots)

Great Mazinger can't cry, because he is only a robot, a machine.
Still, he does understand burning friendship!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

A human heart posted:

I don't know. I kind of got a more altruistic vibe of existing to fuel evolution that it deemed worthy out of the manga rather than the ambiguous swallow everything vibe some people got.

dis astranagant posted:

And let's not forget the best panel ever

I was honestly disappointed that this wasn't the actual wording in the panel when I read the manga. Also, if you want another homage to giant robots and don't mind a bit of length and monster of the week, watch Gaogaigar/Final. Xabungle has also been subbed recently and is very good fun. At least from what I've watched now that I've finally started it.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

dis astranagant posted:

So yeah, Spiral Power is Getter Rays, though Getter Rays would probably try to eat Spiral Power or something.

Getter Rays would try to eat anything.

Killer Queen posted:

The latest episode of Smile Precure has a fake super robot toy ad with animation by Masami Obari. Ken Ootsuka, Keisuke Watabe, and other big-time mecha animators are also on the episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ub8hdby6TM

Obari posted a key frame to Twitter. http://pic.twitter.com/jhZrSC3F

Cure Happy turns into a giant robot too.

What the gently caress is with PreCure and mecha show references? It seems to be full of them constantly; I remember watching an OP once that was pretty much just 90 seconds of references to mecha shows. Is there some connection I'm missing or is the entire production staff mecha nerds that enjoy throwing in references their target audience will never get?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Shazaminator posted:

Getter Rays would try to eat anything.

What the gently caress is with PreCure and mecha show references? It seems to be full of them constantly; I remember watching an OP once that was pretty much just 90 seconds of references to mecha shows. Is there some connection I'm missing or is the entire production staff mecha nerds that enjoy throwing in references their target audience will never get?

Isn't it that they are mostly free to do what they want and PreCure is successful enough that they have the budget for mecha animation?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

A human heart posted:

That's kind of how they explained it in SRW W. They had Getter Rays be the same thing as The Power from GGG.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Schwarzwald posted:

Great Mazinger can't cry, because he is only a robot, a machine.
Still, he does understand burning friendship!

True story.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
So um, ya'll remember that parts-swapping shenanigans that the Soul of Chogokin Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster, Mazinkaiser, etc. were able to pull?

Akira Amemiya's pushing to make some kind of animated special happen based on it.

http://tamashii.jp/t_kokkaku/19/

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

Okay, it took like a whole minute but I am now ready to process this. Holy gently caress, how do I send this man my money?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

StrifeHira posted:

So um, ya'll remember that parts-swapping shenanigans that the Soul of Chogokin Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster, Mazinkaiser, etc. were able to pull?

Akira Amemiya's pushing to make some kind of animated special happen based on it.

http://tamashii.jp/t_kokkaku/19/

There had drat well better be an entire segment dedicated to Ero-Woody and Madoka Titus.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

StrifeHira posted:

Wait, what toy line are we talking about? There is no Soul of Chogokin Gurren Lagann or Mazinkaiser.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

404GoonNotFound posted:

There had drat well better be an entire segment dedicated to Ero-Woody and Madoka Titus.

While Pixar might not be too keen on Ero-Woody, Madoka Titus would be just the thing to get this to really sell like hotcakes.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Now that is something worth Kickstarting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Schwarzwald posted:

Wait, what toy line are we talking about? There is no Soul of Chogokin Gurren Lagann or Mazinkaiser.

The same toyline that put out Grendenkaiser and GaoGaiGurren!

The one in our dreams... :gbsmith:

• Locked thread