Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Can you post your reference so we can see what it's supposed to look like?

I had a go at making a chandelier this morning.
It is a phenomenal pain in the arse.
http://www.lasvit.com/#/en/collections:lighting-sculptures/prj:180-ice-spiral

The stronger definition between layers on mine is intentional.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Internet Friend posted:

I'd be surprised if whatever software you're using didn't have a helix primitive or spline primitive to start from. In Max you'd make a helix spline and either make it renderable or add a Sweep modifier. In others you'd "Extrude Along Spline" or similar.

I'm using Maya and somehow never knew the helix primitive existed. Like I mentioned before, my school is total poo poo and utterly useless at teaching 3D :smith:

Thank you for the advice, I'll play around with it and see what I can do. So far I can't get it to do what I want but maybe I can do something with deformers some more.

cubicle gangster posted:

Can you post your reference so we can see what it's supposed to look like?

Edited it into the original post.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Jewel posted:

I'd probably suggest doing it with the texture, maybe extrude an outside edge to give the appearance of the end of the tape hanging off a bit. Depends what you're doing though. Lowpoly or highpoly? Highpoly you could sculpt the detail in fairly roughly (assuming you have zbrush or whatnot, but if you're doing highpoly you probably do), and lowpoly just make a normal hilt, maybe shift a few vertexes about to give it a more rough look, and then just rely on the texture. Also try a scratched up normal map on the taped part to give it that bumpy, tape look.

Thanks. I wish ZBrush wasn't so fricking confusing. It's like the developers have never used a windows program.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
It's not that bad once you get used to it. Keep watching tutorials!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
:siren: Chickencheese is here! :siren:

420 ZBrush Chickencheese erray day :whatup:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
wtf guys?

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
I'm doing some hard surface robot modelling in 3DS Max 2012 for a work and I want to keep my objects planar unless necessary. Obviously I try my best but sometimes through tiredness I forget about trying to keep it planar and move one vertices of my quad when i should be moving two to keep the face planar.

Is there a way to force a lock on my model so only actions that keep my faces planar work.

edit: nevermind! Edge constraints woop!

Rekka fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 28, 2012

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

pipes! posted:

:siren: Chickencheese is here! :siren:

420 ZBrush Chickencheese erray day :whatup:

So I have this image of you and other posters just sort of marching into threads like ole Cheri O'Teri and Will Ferrell and doing your "chickencheese roll call" and then leaving.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Chicken Breast? Chicken Thigh? gently caress THAT WEAK rear end poo poo SOME WHOLE BIRD UP IN HERE NOW

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Every time I see this I laugh. It's like a reflex.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Hey goons, gimme some critique of my full character topology please. This is a mesh I've been working on intermittently for a few years now and I'm going to try to make a push to get it finished. It's not intended to be a low-poly masterpiece, I actually plan to rig it in Poser 2012 (don't laugh) so higher poly count and detail is generally required in that app. I'm trying to come up with a fairly normal shape and proportion, with topology that will suppoort a wide variety of morph targets for muscularity and curviness and such. If anyone's really curious I could give you current poly count but I'm not really concerned about that, I have a budget of around 80k polys to be normal for Poser characters and I'll probably be more like 50-60k with the finished version.

e: This is modeled in Cinema 4d, poly-by-poly, and I won't be using Zbrush for creating geometry (probably will for texturing/bump/displacement though)

Some of you may remember a while back I had posted my hand mesh, which I was pretty happy with - well, a hard disk crash ate that, so pay little attention to the extremities because they'll be completely remodeled in a while. I'm mostly working on the core torso topology, general proportion and shape, and the head mesh. The ears will be getting redone as well since they're pretty oddly shaped (followed my reference too closely there). Topology of the arms and legs will be tweaked a bunch to support musculature morphs also.

NWS for untextured polygonal nipples and buttcrack. Don't worry, I don't have a million-poly articulated vagina in there or anything. The mesh shown is subdivided 2x but I'm only displaying the wires of the base mesh to make it simpler to look at.

I'm not really happy with how the top of the hip is wired but I'm kinda stumped as to how to wire it better without really trashing up the edgelooping there, any advice?
:nws: Front full :nws:

:nws: Front Quarter full :nws:

:nws: Side full :nws:

:nws: Back Quarter full :nws:

:nws: Back full :nws:

Head front (the eyebrows are just some extra polys stuck on there because it bothered me to model without some kind of eyebrows present):

Head Front Quarter:

Head Side:

Thanks!

e: looking at the head pics thumbnailed, I can see the whole head needs to be shifted forward on the neck maybe 1/2 or 3/4 an inch, I'll do that. The whole head mesh was modeled separately from the body and was only recently welded on, so the neck muscle topology also needs some attention.

e: Sorry ma'am here's a proper throat for you:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 3, 2012

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
Saw this http://www.robotpencil.org/2012/01/lunch-sketch-13.html

so I sculpted this

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
PAnick that is bomb as eff. I want to be that guy's friend.

Here is an old flaregun I am making

Fuzzy Modem
Sep 3, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My Sci-Fi short film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afT26C4ALPA

I'd love critz on the CG, and if you like it, please click "like" on youtube to help me win the contest, thanks :)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I'm doing Ye Olde Joan of Arc tutorial and I was wondering if there's any difference between Poly and Mesh? I'm used to working with editable Polys and I don't know if there's any advantage in one.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Work in poly, mesh is antiquated.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Odddzy posted:

Work in poly, mesh is antiquated.

Okay, that's what I thought so I went ahead and used Poly but I got about 6 hours in and started getting worried that I'd hit something that was only possible in mesh :ohdear:

Thanks!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Even if it was the case, you can convert your mesh in either ''format'' so it wouldn't be a problem. Make sure to save often.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
At home sick, did a quick zbrush doodle:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Quick.. Jesus you put me to shame man! Could you post a workflow or any tips? I work so slow at home!

Simpo
May 1, 2008

concerned mom posted:

Quick.. Jesus you put me to shame man! Could you post a workflow or any tips? I work so slow at home!

I would like to know this too.

or any really good tutorials for hard surface/robot stuff in zbrush people can recommend.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

PAnick posted:

At home sick, did a quick zbrush doodle:

Very nice work.

I think you would like this guy.

Peter Gric

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Got another question for any people practiced with Maya and mental ray:

I'm trying to use physical sun and sky with an image background, but when I create a sphere to put the background on it blocks all the light from the sun and sky and makes everything dark.

I tried just using normal lights but I can't really get the effect I'm looking for and physical sun/sky looks like a way to get to a good starting point quickly that I can then tweak.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You need to get the sphere to not cast shadows. I'm no maya expert but I think this is under "render stats" in the object's attributes

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

Ccs posted:

Got another question for any people practiced with Maya and mental ray:

I'm trying to use physical sun and sky with an image background, but when I create a sphere to put the background on it blocks all the light from the sun and sky and makes everything dark.

I tried just using normal lights but I can't really get the effect I'm looking for and physical sun/sky looks like a way to get to a good starting point quickly that I can then tweak.

Try this. Click the object and go to the attribute editor and under Render stats like EoinCannon said. I would uncheck both casts and recieves shadows to prevent any unwanted stuff in your final render.

Space Deer
Aug 20, 2012

Haledjian posted:

PAnick that is bomb as eff. I want to be that guy's friend.

Here is an old flaregun I am making

Looks really nice so far. I like the subtle pitting on the barrel.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Py3dsMax where have you been all my life? :getin:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I need some 3ds Max rigging advice, it's my first attempt at rigging anything and I'm unsure how to go about it. It's a robot arm with several rotators along different axises (axi?) I've tried bones and used the rotation constraints in the IK menu but the arm wouldn't behave correctly, rotating in the wrong directions and generally flipping out, or not rotating properly where it did before. It's different from a human shoulder, but I don't know if that means I need to rig it differently.

The green dummy boxes in the images above are where I placed bone joints, I used the dummies to align the bones when placing them. If you were to rig this, how would you go about it? Hopefully the axis of rotation I'd like constrained are clear here. This is 3ds Max by the way.

EDIT: I also only have the proper axis of rotation unlocked in the Link Info panel under Hierarchy, unsure if this matters at all.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 12, 2012

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

3DSMax

I can't figure this out.
why is the normal map rendering like this? on the exact opposite side it renders clean, but this side seems to render wrong every time. what gives? (there's a few other spots this comes up but they're in concave sections so it's to be expected.

EDIT: figured it out, it was just some mismatched UV seam issues. took about 30 minutes to fix all the instances of it.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 12, 2012

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

I don't know 3DS Max at all, but I got something set up pretty quickly in Maya by using a multi-chain IK solver and putting minimum and maximum values on the rotations of each joint. After looking through the 3DS Max documentation here and here it looks like you can get something similar by using a history independent IK solver. It will need tweaking, as they don't seem to allow rotational joints by default. Alternatively, just parent each object to the previous one in the chain and animate it through FKs.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

ACanofPepsi posted:

axises (axi?)

:eng101: Axes.

rileylolz
Apr 27, 2008
Here's my demo reel from this year, looking for some feedback: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NLV-GYRjPU

I need to finish texturing the gun and tank, but feel free to rip it apart.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

-I'd probably drop the Zbrush character or redo its segment. And for the love of god use something other than the default red wax to show stuff off. Lumpy Red Wax Zbrush monsters are everywhere in showreels.
-Unless the rifle looks really great when it's finished, remove it as well.
-Start and end with your best material, probably the tower and the labs.
-Group up your stuff. The lab stuff kept popping up all over the place, and there's character, vehicle and environmental stuff all mixed together. Make clear what you're showing off.
Other than that it looks like a usual student showreel that's been populated with everything you've been learning. Nothing wrong with that, it'll grow as you work on more of your own stuff though.

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008

rileylolz posted:

Here's my demo reel from this year, looking for some feedback: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NLV-GYRjPU

I need to finish texturing the gun and tank, but feel free to rip it apart.

The tank has overlapping(?) geometry z-fighting on the front and back of its left side. Also there's something wrong with the plate on the back too.

I like your tower. I think it cut to the book thing too abruptly, though?

The book thing and the bus stop felt like they could do with some weathering or personality or something, right now they feel too clean and boring. The beach scene at least had some trash and other miscellaneous props lying around.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Ok, so when you're editing a subobject from the modify panel in max, say, connecting edges. So you select your edges, hit the Connect floater, and it pops open its context floater. You click your segments type-in (you know, since it doesn't focus on the first type-in, like every loving program EVER, EVERYWHERE). You hit tab to move to the next field (Pinch value), and it highlights the existing value, as if that were some indication that that field now has focus, and you should be able to just type your next value, but OOOOOH FUUUUCKKKK NOOOOO, now focus is actually on the main window, and kicks you out of the edit subobject tool altogether, using whatever the next keystrokes were as shortcut keys. What The gently caress Is This Bullshit™? Is there some way to restore the floater functionality from 2010?

You know, I could live with the floater bouncing around to wherever the gently caress it feels like is the most appropriate screen coordinates as you add/remove edges/verts/etc, but coupled with being able to use it for gently caress all without clicking the stupid thing makes me want to set things on fire.

gently caress.

e: Oh, and they're called "caddies". gently caress Caddies

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 13, 2012

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

fuckcaddies.gif

They've gotten better since the first version they were in, but they're still a huge step backwards from the old dialog boxes with text and input fields instead of small icons and strange responses to keyboard shortcuts.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Internet Friend posted:

fuckcaddies.gif

They've gotten better since the first version they were in, but they're still a huge step backwards from the old dialog boxes with text and input fields instead of small icons and strange responses to keyboard shortcuts.

And then Ken Pimentel gets all indignant and dismissive when users complain and ask why the "Most Hated Feature of 3dsMAX" for 3 years running hasn't been addressed, once again. loving jerkoff is probably the one that invented it, in which case I guess he's predictably butthurt.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
caddies are literally the shittiest thing and I left 3d art to become a producer because of them.

(almost true)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They suck but I got used to them

I have Stockholm syndrome