Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Gamzee picks the worst time to practice the tuba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, I really thought BladeKindEyeWear was wrong about Jane inverting the way Rose did (go grimdark), but I'm forced to admit he may be right.

- She's had both friends and foes piss her royally off.
- Her birthday is ruined.
- She thinks her only family member is dead.
- She has basically nowhere to turn right now.

and she's destroyed every computing device she had other than the mind-controlling tiaratop.

It would be very easy for someone to message her, say just the wrong thing, and set her completely off the deep end.

When Rose went grimdark, she stopped acting like a Seer of Light and more like the opposite, a Witch of Void. If Jane inverts, BKEW thinks she'd act like a Bard of Doom, which sounds like a scary combination.

BKEW posted:

A Bard of Doom’s role is to invite destruction through sacrifice, or invite the destruction OF sacrifice.

This is very, very dangerous.

Beyond the obvious, even: What popular mythological figure is known to tempt and entice individuals to sign something away in exchange for what they want, causing disaster, and is often depicted with a red fork?

(EDIT: And in the SAW movies, who invites people to commit painful destruction through painful sacrifice?! D: )

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 9, 2012

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Bobulus posted:

You know, I really thought BladeKindEyeWear was wrong about Jane inverting the way Rose did (go grimdark), but I'm forced to admit he may be right.

- She's had both friends and foes piss her royally off.
- Her birthday is ruined.
- She thinks her only family member is dead.
- She has basically nowhere to turn right now.

and she's destroyed every computing device she had other than the mind-controlling tiaratop.

It would be very easy for someone to message her, say just the wrong thing, and set her completely off the deep end.

Jane's a Prospit dreamer, though. I thought grimdarkness came from horrorterrors, and horrorterrors only have that kind of influence over Derse dreamers.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It seems like that power came from the Horrorterrors, but there was definitely some opposite stuff going on there. She was using Witchy wands and blocking viewing like a Void player and stuff. She never picked up the wands again after she died.

I'm not saying it's going to happen here, but I think BKEW has made enough of a case for it to be possible.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
pipefan42: cannot recommend Derse detention facility for further patronage. amenities - nonexistent. forced to staunch broken nose with tie. catastrophic fabric staining likely unless immediate laundering occurs.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seoinin posted:

pipefan42: cannot recommend Derse detention facility for further patronage. amenities - nonexistent. forced to staunch broken nose with tie. catastrophic fabric staining likely unless immediate laundering occurs.

Okay, now I'm imagining that all the people on that network were Dads. Not, like, fathers, but Dad, the character, each in his own universe and dealing with his kid(s) bringing him into the Medium.

Somewhere out there is a dreambubble full of Dads. It is the key to defeating Lord English and Her Imperial Condescension.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

MrBims posted:

Sounds like a fairly normal reaction actually! I'm pleasantly surprised for him. He is still nuts though.
It's not so much that the reaction was unwarranted, but rather that it's fun to vicariously relive this part and remember when we (by which I mean I at least) felt the same way. I was actually thinking the other day, "wait... I used to hate Vriska?".

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, now I'm imagining that all the people on that network were Dads. Not, like, fathers, but Dad, the character, each in his own universe and dealing with his kid(s) bringing him into the Medium.

Somewhere out there is a dreambubble full of Dads. It is the key to defeating Lord English and Her Imperial Condescension.

Really hoping there really significant does occur regarding a Dad in the future. He's still iirc the only true non-player and only one not paradox created to keep being brought into the medium, and even with John and Jane essentially switching places post-scratch Dad's exactly the same.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Hey, do you guys remember the annotations I put up for the first two Acts? Because to slow our descent into RPchat, I've uploaded my annotations for the next two (including the Midnight Crew intermission):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_YbdpWDR44yZlJtTEJyOWFMR3M/edit

I'm still enjoying this, but it feels a little unclear who it's being written for - someone who's read the comic, or someone who's reading this side by side with it? Personally as someone who *has* read the comic, I'd rather see a bit less explanation and a bit more analysis.

Also, it would be helpful to include links and the full titles of pages where relevant (eg [S] Enter) to jog our memories (alongside the page numbers).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

A sad jump!

The saddest jump!

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Bobulus posted:

If Jane inverts, BKEW thinks she'd act like a Bard of Doom, which sounds like a scary combination.

Why a Bard? Calliope pretty explicitly stated that the Bard class is an inversion of the Prince class. If Jane inverted, it would be a Hero of Doom, with the class being an inversion of whatever a Maid is, which we can only speculate on...

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The other day a friend of mine asked me what I believe is the greatest mystery in all of Homestuck:

How is it that Terezi is completely unable to get glasses unto eyes when scribbling on a still drawing, but able to sync glasses and eyes perfectly on animated gifs?

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.

Lord Justice posted:

Why a Bard? Calliope pretty explicitly stated that the Bard class is an inversion of the Prince class. If Jane inverted, it would be a Hero of Doom, with the class being an inversion of whatever a Maid is, which we can only speculate on...

The Bard and Prince classes are counterparts to each other, not inversions. They're both involved with the destruction of and through their aspect. BKEY's theory is that each class has both a counterpart class and an inverted class to it, so an inverted Bard would be an active class involved with creation of and through their aspect.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Aww man, just as Calliborn started being funny with his rear end in a top hat-ishness, he has to go way too far with it. And Dad better not be dead again. We got barely anything out of alpha-Dad!

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

The other day a friend of mine asked me what I believe is the greatest mystery in all of Homestuck:

How is it that Terezi is completely unable to get glasses unto eyes when scribbling on a still drawing, but able to sync glasses and eyes perfectly on animated gifs?

Her sense of smell and taste are based on movement.

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

she is basically a tyrannosaurus

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Zerilan posted:

Really hoping there really significant does occur regarding a Dad in the future. He's still iirc the only true non-player and only one not paradox created to keep being brought into the medium, and even with John and Jane essentially switching places post-scratch Dad's exactly the same.

My current (actually a joke) theory is that Dad is the default first guardian for all universes. If the first guardian powers get co-opted through shenanigans, he just goes about being a regular guardian until something kills him.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

My current (actually a joke) theory is that Dad is the default first guardian for all universes. If the first guardian powers get co-opted through shenanigans, he just goes about being a regular guardian until something kills him.

So, in other words, a version of Dad existed on Beforus?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bongo Bill posted:

So, in other words, a version of Dad existed on Beforus?

Dad was Crabdad in troll universes.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Roland Jones posted:

This actually seems very probable. Rereading some of the older conversations from back when right after John lost (or misplaced or something, I can't remember) his dad's phone to text and hadn't alchemized it yet, there was another "Dad" who Nannasprite spoke to who got pulled into the medium for one session or another. He described himself on the battlefield and had been attacked by an imp.

Too bad from his texts, it sounds like he died, though. I want to say it was FedoraFreak or something, while John's dad was PipeFan413.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

This actually seems very probable. Rereading some of the older conversations from back when right after John lost (or misplaced or something, I can't remember) his dad's phone to text and hadn't alchemized it yet, there was another "Dad" who Nannasprite spoke to who got pulled into the medium for one session or another. He described himself on the battlefield and had been attacked by an imp.

Too bad from his texts, it sounds like he died, though. I want to say it was FedoraFreak or something, while John's dad was PipeFan413.

That was indeed FedoraFreak, one of Dad's friends/colleagues/etc. Prior to speaking to Nannasprite, FedoraFreak existed solely on the Serious Business app.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

That was indeed FedoraFreak, one of Dad's friends/colleagues/etc. Prior to speaking to Nannasprite, FedoraFreak existed solely on the Serious Business app.

Oh man, I just realized something. If FedoraFreak was on the battlefield, he would have gotten shrunk by Jade when she shrunk all the planets! FedoraFreak could easily be on the battleship right now.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

of bees posted:

Oh man, I just realized something. If FedoraFreak was on the battlefield, he would have gotten shrunk by Jade when she shrunk all the planets! FedoraFreak could easily be on the battleship right now.

Yes, if he were actually a part of their session and not an entirely different session.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Color Printer posted:

Yes, if he were actually a part of their session and not an entirely different session.

Yeah, I just dug up the conversation with the search, and it happens in Act 5. It sounds like it's in a completely different session because he figures out how to use an alchemiter and stuff. From the sound of it, he also died on a quest bed. Maybe if he was actually young enough it was his session?

Too bad we'll probably never find out because the conversation is mainly used to fill in background details on nanna and the batterwitch.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Caliborn best character

Move over Karkat

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Yeah, I just dug up the conversation with the search, and it happens in Act 5. It sounds like it's in a completely different session because he figures out how to use an alchemiter and stuff. From the sound of it, he also died on a quest bed. Maybe if he was actually young enough it was his session?

Too bad we'll probably never find out because the conversation is mainly used to fill in background details on nanna and the batterwitch.

He awakened as the fully realized Gent of Piss. Chekhov's Gun, folks.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm thinking, Jane's dad might actually be dead. We do have our expectations shaped differently by the B1 dad, but then do remember that they (or at least dad as the only non-player one) were portrayed as from the eyes of kids; untouchable, almost supernatural and mythical figures. But Jane's dad, he's seen from the eyes of an older adolescent. He's much more vulnerable.

I hope I'm proven wrong and I don't actually believe that Jane's Dad would meet such an unceremonious demise, but it's a thought.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The narrative trajectory is points toward each of the kids being utterly alone. I don't want to believe it without seeing the "DEAD." caption, besides which Caliborn has proven prone to wishful thinking, but that is a point in favor of him having not survived his captivity.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
It sounds like he never actually saw him die, but did see him get tortured, and combined with his own apparently experiences in dersite prison has written him off.

He does tend to mislead without lying though, just in a much more antagonizing way than one Doc Scratch. He does love his ruses.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I wonder what the odds are of caliborn's monitor's being locked on to B1 dad, and the death he witnessed was actually john's dad and not jane's. After all, the monitor tree he's looking at has no restrictions on what he can and can't view, so he may be able to see every known sburb session in time, as well as the crew of makeout meteor and ss harleybert

Rooreelooo fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 9, 2012

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

YF-23 posted:

I'm thinking, Jane's dad might actually be dead. We do have our expectations shaped differently by the B1 dad, but then do remember that they (or at least dad as the only non-player one) were portrayed as from the eyes of kids; untouchable, almost supernatural and mythical figures. But Jane's dad, he's seen from the eyes of an older adolescent. He's much more vulnerable.
poo poo, you may be on to something. All the other guardians are dead, and have been for years. Compare this to B1, where all of them were alive up to their kid's entry (Bec in place of Jake)

Jane's older and a skeptic as well. On the other hand, the same feats of strength are mentioned this time around.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I'm still holding out hope that this is just a vicious ruse(or mistake) on Caliborn's part, and the lengths he's going with this incorrect information to me could point a little more towards some goal of his, as opposed to being a jerk just to be a jerk.

This theory was linked a while back, having come up just after the Jane-insulting part but before the "Your dad is dead" part, but the Dad part may just add more credence to it.

Bluemidget posted:

Her sense of smell and taste are based on movement.

Gul Banana posted:

she is basically a tyrannosaurus

I was beaten to it. Totally serious, though.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

It's funny that Caliborn is far and away the comic's purest representation of an actual internet troll: the "YOUR FAT, I HOPE YOUR DAD DIED" stuff is straight out of a Youtube comment section.

I wouldn't count Dad out yet, either - remember, Caliborn's been wrong about character deaths before, and he hasn't actually seen the body.

I agree. Vriska's impressive from a writer's perspective because she's so effectively fine-tuned to toy with the audience's sympathies. Everything she does pushes her back onto the razor's edge between tragic and monstrous, endearing and irritating - hell, the fact that she gets away with being annoying so often, usually the worst sin a fictional character can commit, demonstrates how skillfully she's developed.

I can't really agree with the "Vriska is the best :allears:" infatuation some fans have - that sort of starry-eyed admiration should be reserved for Equius (or Horuss, if you're nasty). But there's no doubt in my mind that, of the cast, she's Hussie's best creation.

ShardPhoenix posted:

I'm still enjoying this, but it feels a little unclear who it's being written for - someone who's read the comic, or someone who's reading this side by side with it? Personally as someone who *has* read the comic, I'd rather see a bit less explanation and a bit more analysis.

This installment is definitely more explanation-heavy than previous ones - I think it's because a lot of the in-story development in acts 3 and 4 relates to the mythology, since we've gotten through the introduction but haven't gotten to the meaty thematic and character stuff of the later acts. Ideally, I want the annotations to work for both newbies and veteran readers, but I understand the frustration. The Act 5 annotations will definitely have more of interest to experts.

Thanks to Popo, aegof, and Suaimhneas for the corrections - you guys will get credit in the next version.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Midnight Raider posted:

Caliborn is a vicious little bugger. The pre-scratch kids don't know how good they had it with their evil aliens sending them mean-spirited messages that were positively tame in comparison.
I couldn't help but think about this. Although we know them well now, was there a time when it was thought that the trolls would wind up as actual villains?

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Ugh. That panel of Jane bapping her computer while failing to hold back her tears is heartbreaking. :smith:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Indie Rocktopus posted:

that sort of starry-eyed admiration should be reserved for Equius

Equius is actually another great example. We went from dreading his introduction to dreading his exit.

I hope when you go over his first appearance (the one of him in his room where we jump to another POV in a panic) you remember what Hussie said right afterwards on his forum, "And now to make you love him."

Lord of Laughton posted:

Ugh. That panel of Jane bapping her computer while failing to hold back her tears is heartbreaking. :smith:

Jane that face isn't funny, stop. :smith:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I never loved Equius, I dunno what you guys are on about. He was funny, yes, but as a character I never found him all that sympathetic.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Plom Bar posted:

I never loved Equius, I dunno what you guys are on about. He was funny, yes, but as a character I never found him all that sympathetic.

He's a fairly one-note character, yes. He's just very, very funny, so he gets more sympathy/love than he otherwise would.

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Caliborn was still hilarious in his vicious attacks on Jane. But I wasn't laughing this time. Just too many feelings :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I couldn't help but think about this. Although we know them well now, was there a time when it was thought that the trolls would wind up as actual villains?

Back when Terezi killed John a lot of people thought this. Understandably, even!