Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Things I think I'm going to do with the next release of my modpack:

- switch from GCD to MADD Leveler
- rename the mods to have sensible names (ie. 'MADD Leveler.esp' instead of 'maddleveler.esp') and remove and version numbering from the custom mod filenames
- add an mlox user order to the download so it's easy to implement the recommended load order

I've added the Lighting Mod and NPC Schedules to the version I'm playing right now, and I'm pretty sure I'll be adding the Nighttime Door Locks mod. There are some mods I'd like to remove but still include as optional, like Creatures and the LGNPC package. I have days where I like those two and days where I don't, and I can't decide whether they fit.

If anyone has used my pack and has feedback (what did you like? what didn't you like?) I'd love to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Oggumogoggum posted:

Things I think I'm going to do with the next release of my modpack:

- switch from GCD to MADD Leveler

Any particular reason for this?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Jabarto posted:

Any particular reason for this?

People (myself included) have had issues with GCD not working correctly or giving errors on startup. I'm trying out MADD myself for a while and haven't had any issues yet. MADD is also less intrusive (doesn't change birthsigns, etc).

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cantorsdust posted:

I have something like that error, too. Don't know what causes it. Obviously safe to run with, just a bit annoying.

Good enough for me. Thanks man, this is way deeper in the modding pool than I'm used to and it's SKURRY :saddowns:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Oggumogoggum posted:

People (myself included) have had issues with GCD not working correctly or giving errors on startup. I'm trying out MADD myself for a while and haven't had any issues yet. MADD is also less intrusive (doesn't change birthsigns, etc).

MADD leveler owns, just remember one thing: if you just got a new permanent ability, use ml restart, not ml reset. That tells the leveler to take your current skills/attributes as baseline. Also don't forget to remove any attribute/skill boosting items before resetting or restarting.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Oggumogoggum posted:

- rename the mods to have sensible names (ie. 'MADD Leveler.esp' instead of 'maddleveler.esp') and remove and version numbering from the custom mod filenames

If you do this, you should create a custom Mlox rules file. Otherwise, tools like mlox won't be able to auto sort the mod pack if need be.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Oggumogoggum posted:

If anyone has used my pack and has feedback (what did you like? what didn't you like?) I'd love to hear it.

Have you done any testing with combining your Megapack and MGSO? A bunch of people asked about that a while back and I don't think I got a chance to experiment with it myself.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
The website for MGSO looks like it's down now and has been for a few days, is the latest version of mgso hosted anywhere else to download? I know there was a torrent for it kicking around as well as a direct download.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Gyshall posted:

If you do this, you should create a custom Mlox rules file. Otherwise, tools like mlox won't be able to auto sort the mod pack if need be.

But then wouldn't there be additional issues with any mods added on top of the pack? If it's going to create mlox problems with other mods I don't know if renaming the mod filenames so that they're more aesthetically pleasing and in a couple of cases more helpful is a good idea.

Rooreelooo posted:

The website for MGSO looks like it's down now and has been for a few days, is the latest version of mgso hosted anywhere else to download? I know there was a torrent for it kicking around as well as a direct download.

Found a mirror for you :) http://www.wolflore.net/uploads/mgso/MGSO_3.0_Final.rar

Tufty fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 9, 2012

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Tufty posted:

But then wouldn't there be additional issues with any mods added on top of the pack? If it's going to create mlox problems with other mods I don't know if renaming the mod filenames so that they're more aesthetically pleasing and in a couple of cases more helpful is a good idea.

This might be something to keep in mind, yes. I'll look into it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've been solely on a netbook (Asus 1000he) for the past year and am always on the lookout for long involved games that I can actually run. Neverwinter Nights 1 has been pretty much my main game, but anything gets a little stale after 15 straight runthroughs. Then I found this site for installing Morrowind on a netbook. And it runs pretty drat good.
I really wasn't expecting much but I have had no problems whatsoever with the mods they list plus one weight mod.
I am thinking of a adding a few more mods just for variety but only basic ones. Though a bigger minimap would be a winner.

It's funny, I've probably installed this game 3-4 times with all the mods and megapacks and poo poo and now at its most basic I've spent more time on it than ever before. But then on a netbook I'm not being distracted with newer and better looking games.
Only real problem I have to deal with now is the 'swatting 50 times at a bee' melee system this game has.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Have you done any testing with combining your Megapack and MGSO? A bunch of people asked about that a while back and I don't think I got a chance to experiment with it myself.

I haven't, and I'm wary of doing that. My pack is a very specific collection of mods that I hand-picked and tested pretty thoroughly together. It would be difficult to combine it with something else because I'm not familiar with exactly what is modified in MGSO.

I'll take a look at it if I get a chance.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Oggumogoggum posted:

I haven't, and I'm wary of doing that. My pack is a very specific collection of mods that I hand-picked and tested pretty thoroughly together. It would be difficult to combine it with something else because I'm not familiar with exactly what is modified in MGSO.

I'll take a look at it if I get a chance.

At the very least acknowledging the existence of MGSO and that you haven't tested the two together might be a nice gesture. Something like "anecdotal evidence suggests that combining the two can work but you'll have to get a little power-usery (i.e. learn how to use Wrye Mash)."

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

GrumpyDoctor posted:

At the very least acknowledging the existence of MGSO and that you haven't tested the two together might be a nice gesture. Something like "anecdotal evidence suggests that combining the two can work but you'll have to get a little power-usery (i.e. learn how to use Wrye Mash)."

I can definitely do that! One thing I badly want to do is update the readme.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Just to keep you all in the loop, I'm currently busy updating both Books of Vvardenfell and Uvirith's Legacy for release around Christmas.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any reason why Wrye Mash might not start? I'll click on the shortcut to run it and a few of the script files will update, but the window doesn't pop up. Do I need to re-install it or is there some startup trick I'm forgetting? I got the itch to play this earlier today but I never fully finished my mod setup, and I need Mash to do the last bits of it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 13, 2012

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So I'm starting to have fairly consistent crashes again. This time, the specific scenario is when I try to pick up poo poo littering the ground in my House Redoran Stronghold. My first thought is the issue is there being too much junk lying around, but that seems silly when I had WAY more poo poo lying around than this in the freaking Xbox version and had no problems.

This is starting to get super inconvenient when I recall into my stronghold with more crap than I can carry and have to dump stuff on the ground, because I then invariably pick something up, crash, and have to reload a save from way further back than I'd like because I forgot about this AGAIN :saddowns:

Please advise.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Captain Oblivious posted:

So I'm starting to have fairly consistent crashes again. This time, the specific scenario is when I try to pick up poo poo littering the ground in my House Redoran Stronghold. My first thought is the issue is there being too much junk lying around, but that seems silly when I had WAY more poo poo lying around than this in the freaking Xbox version and had no problems.

This is starting to get super inconvenient when I recall into my stronghold with more crap than I can carry and have to dump stuff on the ground, because I then invariably pick something up, crash, and have to reload a save from way further back than I'd like because I forgot about this AGAIN :saddowns:

Please advise.

Are the CTDs caused by trying to pick up the same items (is it consistent)? Or does picking up an item prompt a CTD one time, but not another?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are the CTDs caused by trying to pick up the same items (is it consistent)? Or does picking up an item prompt a CTD one time, but not another?

It's inconsistent. It happens frequently enough, but can be gotten around by saving before I pick up the item(s) and loading and trying again if things go pear shaped.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Meanwhile, what I'd really kill for is a mod that lets me wear a robe without actually having to put up with the visuals. I feel like I'm ripping myself off by cheating myself out of a powerful item slot, but ugghhh they look so terrible :(

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Captain Oblivious posted:

Meanwhile, what I'd really kill for is a mod that lets me wear a robe without actually having to put up with the visuals. I feel like I'm ripping myself off by cheating myself out of a powerful item slot, but ugghhh they look so terrible :(

I've always used this robe replacer, which I don't hear many people talk about but it's really good and works well. I was surprised to not see it in MGSO.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I've always used this robe replacer, which I don't hear many people talk about but it's really good and works well. I was surprised to not see it in MGSO.

That is some pretty good looking stuff, but I should have clarified. My objection is primarily that it obscures my pretty princess Adamantium Armor. Which I like :saddowns:

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

C-Euro posted:

I used to have that too but I've lost the file and I can't be arsed signing up for their stupid forum again. Would you mind uploading the archive for the one you have?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Stuporstar posted:

Just to keep you all in the loop, I'm currently busy updating both Books of Vvardenfell and Uvirith's Legacy for release around Christmas.

Do you know if we'll be able to just install UL over an old version?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Tufty posted:

I used to have that too but I've lost the file and I can't be arsed signing up for their stupid forum again. Would you mind uploading the archive for the one you have?

It's included in my modpack -- here's a .7z of it:
http://ge.tt/1aVHxgT/v/0?c

This is the version with NioLiv's meshes.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Mr E posted:

Do you know if we'll be able to just install UL over an old version?

You'll have to do a standard file cleaning using Wrye Mash to prevent doubled doors and the like, but I didn't mess with any cells or major scripts this time, which were the most likely things to break during an upgrade. This release mainly focuses on polishing up the last few bugs, those that I can fix, so I didn't make a lot of changes. Biggest change is the slave's scripting, because it was buggy, and while I was fixing them, I added a little quest. If you've already dismissed them, it's no big deal. You're not missing out on much.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Having some bugs in Tribunal, running MGSO. I'm on the quest to activate the Weather Witch and the Dwemer Satchel Packs simply...don't exist. None of the three are actually in the game where they're supposed to be. Easily remedied by the console but still kind of worrying. Anyone experienced something like this?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm trying to follow the directions in the OP but some things aren't working:

1) I don't have .bsa files in Wrye Mash; I have .esm files.
2) Some of the components from step 5 won't install because I'm on a 64-bit version of Windows. I could download the 64-bit version of those files but Microsoft's site says they will only affect 64-bit programs, which I'm guessing Morrowind is not. I'm guessing I should just skip these?

What should I do?

Edit: Steam version, by the way.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

...! posted:

2) Some of the components from step 5 won't install because I'm on a 64-bit version of Windows. I could download the 64-bit version of those files but Microsoft's site says they will only affect 64-bit programs, which I'm guessing Morrowind is not. I'm guessing I should just skip these?

What should I do?

I'm using MSGO, and I ignored all those instructions (and it works fine). If you're not using MSGO then I dunno. With respect to the missing components you might as well play it safe and install as many of both the x86 and x64 versions as you can.

I strongly recommend installing the game somewhere other than Program Files (x86) though, to get around the UAC stuff.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So here's a question:

If I do Bloodmoon and take the werewolf path, but then get cured of lycanthropy later...do I keep the various buffs to werewolf form Hircine gave me when I access werewolf form via Hircine's Ring?

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012
Well here I am back to Morrowind after thinking to myself I probably wouldn't go back after Skyrim was released.

Currently level 7, playing a Redguard custom class battlemage type of character. I just did a fighters guild quest I have never done before and it took me a few hours as I walked all the way and stopped by a bunch of ruins on the way. I found a daedric ruin with two daedric tantos and an ebony broadsword inside. My conjured longsword chopped everything up really easily.

The only difficult part was finding a place to sell the tantos, as they are worth 14,000 gold each if I recall correctly.

With the proceeds from that little adventure I bought the Heroes Hall from the Heroes Hall mod which gives me a house and some income which I thought was pretty neat.

One issue I have had with MGSO is that a certain table mesh is messed up, looking at it in the console it had the name "furn_de_r_table_03". To fix it I went into meshes/f/ and renamed the "furn_de_table_03" mesh to "furn_de_table_03BAK" to see if it would fix it and the issue was resolved and the table appears now, so maybe an improved mesh was corrupt or something and removing the mesh causes the game to load the default table mesh.

I am not sure if anyone else is having that issue but that's what I did to fix it in my game.

I must have played over 300 hours of Morrowind and I have never finished any of the guild quest lines or the main quests, apart from Bloodmoon. It is crazy and I have no idea how I haven't finished them, a combination of restartitis and just awesome mods that I played that kept me from getting around to the main questlines.

E: Does anyone have any tips for playing a battlemage type character? I originally intended to utilise conjuration and illusion to enhance melee combat, maybe conjure allies and equipment but also for paralyze effects and charm. I still suck at magic yet so I hardly use any of it. Is the general idea to just earn lots of gold and buy a heap of training in magic skills first?

CharlesDexterWard fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 28, 2012

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Some interesting news on the Besthesda forums, it looks like Kingpix is getting back to work on the Game Experience Overhaul. He was in the middle of testing it before switching to MGSO 3, so it might be out soon.

CharlesDexterWard posted:

E: Does anyone have any tips for playing a battlemage type character? I originally intended to utilise conjuration and illusion to enhance melee combat, maybe conjure allies and equipment but also for paralyze effects and charm. I still suck at magic yet so I hardly use any of it. Is the general idea to just earn lots of gold and buy a heap of training in magic skills first?

The answer to whether you should get lots of gold for training is always yes.

When starting a battlemage character I usually choose any 2 weapon skills (i.e. Axe and Long Blade), plus Destruction and Restoration as major skills, then divide the remaining major and minor skill slots among the other attributes (2 Intelligence-based, 2 Personality-based, etc.). By choosing Destruction and Restoration as major skills, you get a fire touch spell and a healing spell right at the beginning (although you might want to join the Mages Guild and make an offensive distance fire spell before doing anything). As long as you choose your birthsign and race right to maximize your Magicka, you should be able to navigate much of the game without a problem.

...! posted:

What should I do?

I don't have the Steam version and just realized that I haven't really touched those instructions significantly since copying them from the previous thread. Can anyone confirm that you're supposed to modify ESM files rather than BSA? I have ESM files and don't have any reason to believe Steam does it differently, but I want to be certain before changing it.

As for number 2, AFAIK you will need all of those components so go ahead and get the 64-bit versions if you haven't already.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Can anyone confirm that you're supposed to modify ESM files rather than BSA? I have ESM files and don't have any reason to believe Steam does it differently, but I want to be certain before changing it.

I think you have to modify the BSAs, not the ESMs. Use this to change the dates, and set each of them to a date in 2002 (with Morrowind being the earliest, followed by Tribunal and then Bloodmoon).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

When starting a battlemage character I usually choose any 2 weapon skills (i.e. Axe and Long Blade), plus Destruction and Restoration as major skills, then divide the remaining major and minor skill slots among the other attributes (2 Intelligence-based, 2 Personality-based, etc.). By choosing Destruction and Restoration as major skills, you get a fire touch spell and a healing spell right at the beginning (although you might want to join the Mages Guild and make an offensive distance fire spell before doing anything). As long as you choose your birthsign and race right to maximize your Magicka, you should be able to navigate much of the game without a problem.

What's your logic for choosing two melee weapon skills? In general terms they're both going to do the same thing, and in your case you'll find far more weapons for Long Blade than you will for Axe. Is it just so you train up your Strength stat? More options for the early game when your offensive options are weak?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I am using Morrowind Graphics Overhaul. Is there a way to make the text font less tiny?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

CharlesDexterWard posted:

One issue I have had with MGSO is that a certain table mesh is messed up, looking at it in the console it had the name "furn_de_r_table_03". To fix it I went into meshes/f/ and renamed the "furn_de_table_03" mesh to "furn_de_table_03BAK" to see if it would fix it and the issue was resolved and the table appears now, so maybe an improved mesh was corrupt or something and removing the mesh causes the game to load the default table mesh.

I am not sure if anyone else is having that issue but that's what I did to fix it in my game.

This is a known MGSO issue (it's on the website) and the official fix is just to delete that file.

MushroomSquid
Jan 7, 2005

In roaring he shall rise and on the surface die.
I haven't played Morrowind since the day it first came out, so I'm hoping to finally beat it this time. I've installed the recommended mods, but could someone list a few good mods to include that wasn't in Oggumogoggum/MGSO?

e: Translation: How will I know I won't gently caress poo poo up?

MushroomSquid fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 29, 2012

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Luisfe posted:

I am using Morrowind Graphics Overhaul. Is there a way to make the text font less tiny?

Try Better Dialogue Font. I don't think it makes it bigger, but it should look better anyway.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

C-Euro posted:

What's your logic for choosing two melee weapon skills? In general terms they're both going to do the same thing, and in your case you'll find far more weapons for Long Blade than you will for Axe. Is it just so you train up your Strength stat? More options for the early game when your offensive options are weak?

The former, plus it made leveling up more controllable since I didn't use GCD or MADD. I didn't intend to actually use the second weapon skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Okay scratch that. I added Morrowind.exe to the magical Make Things Work List (aka Data Execution Prevention) and the game seems to work fine now. However it crashes whenever I try to equip a weapon. I can equip armor and other items fine. I tried to cheat it by adding them via the quick menu rather than the inventory screen but it still crashes. Anyone else experienced this?

Is it just a matter of finding the right mod to disable?

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 31, 2012