Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
So, what's all this about TFR's favorite plane, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Are you asking what would typically be the go to answer for the majority of tfr's members?

If so, the A-10 receives a lot of praise here. Mostly because of you know, the gun.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

_firehawk posted:

If so, the A-10 receives a lot of praise here. Mostly because of you know, the gun.

Even outside TFR, the A-10 is the best plane because it's loving awesome to a level not replicated since.

Also, A-10 Attack! was the best flight sim of the 1990s :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

_firehawk posted:

Mostly because of you know, the gun.

My favorite aircraft gun has to be the GSh-23 "teeter-totter" though.

Or one of these:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So do Gatling guns in planes also have a "spin up" time? If so that must be inconvenient in combat.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Yup, part of the reason why they developed this.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 9, 2012

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

So do Gatling guns in planes also have a "spin up" time? If so that must be inconvenient in combat.

On the M61A1 (F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22), the gun is electrically/hydraulically powered and takes about half a second to reach full firing rate. However, it starts firing rounds right away as it accelerates. The feed is linked directly to the gun, so if the cannon is moving, it's feeding rounds.

wkarma fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 9, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

wkarma posted:

On the M61A1 (F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22), the gun is electrically/hydraulically powered and takes about half a second to reach full firing rate. However, it starts firing rounds right away as it accelerates. The feed is linked directly to the gun, so if the cannon is moving, it's feeding rounds.
Yeah, M61A1 will still fire 25 rounds during that half-second it's spinning up. F-22's M61A2 is lighter and uses a more powerful (42hp) hydraulic motor and spins up much faster. There's a delay of a few milliseconds to open the door that normally covers the muzzle, though.

Here you can see the F-35's GAU-22/A 4-barreled 25mm vulcan cannon test-firing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKbZj_BW_bA

This video kinda puts it in perspective, too. They're just running empty shall cases through an M61 at an airshow, but it's still :monocle: to see them pouring out into the catch bin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOTlrl8qUZo

grover fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 9, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The GAU-22 is unrelated to the Vulcan...it's a descendent of the Avenger though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I saw this video posted in AI...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmln5aChX0s

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

wkarma posted:

It's linked to such an extent that you can inadvertently fire the gun if you manually rotate the barrels.

vvvvvv Yep, pretty clear negligent discharge. If it's loaded and you rotate it in the firing direction, it'll fire.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 12, 2012

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Phanatic posted:

It's linked to such an extent that you can inadvertently fire the gun if you manually rotate the barrels.

Just don't stand in front of the gun when you do manually rotate the barrels.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Can't think of any scenario where I'm going to volunteer to stand in front of a jammed gun and gently caress with it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh man, this reminds of being nine years old and getting to fire off blanks in a reproduction B5N Kate that arrived early for an air show. Goddamn those guys were cool for letting me do that.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

wkarma posted:

There also pyrotechnic started and gas driven Russian Gatling guns which besides the lack of electric motor work the same.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Yeah, seriously. Gun is or is not functioning properly means don't stand in front of the barrel. You don't ever stand in front of a gun, doubly so when someone else is dicking around with one that was just shooting before it jammed up.
It's why I always used to second and third check my lockout/tagout stuff when I was working on heavy machines. I don't trust people ever. Ever ever. Actually I do trust them. I trust that they are idiots and their idiocy will get me killed if I give it a chance.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Bugdrvr posted:

Actually I do trust them. I trust that they are idiots and their idiocy will get me killed if I give it a chance.

I use this logic when driving: every other driver is an idiot out to kill me.

So far, I have yet to get killed or be at fault in a collision. Success.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

This is the general logic I employ at ranges, and one of the big reasons I've gravitated towards members-only clubs and going during hours when normal people are at their jobs.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Just finished Red Eagles: America's Secret MiGs, by Steve Davies. It chronicles the use of Mig-17, 21, and 23s back in the 70s and 80s to train US pilots, and I thought it was a great book on a very interesting topic. Check it out!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Psion posted:

I use this logic when driving: every other driver is an idiot out to kill me.

So far, I have yet to get killed or be at fault in a collision. Success.

I didn't always have this mindset, but the one and only traffic incident I've ever had involved two cars accelerating down the start of a long straightaway right through a red light while I made a left turn, continuing to audibly accelerate right up until the collision as though I didn't even exist. The impact launched my car sideways across three lanes and a divider after the collision (this was in a 35 zone). Now I always think "Is this guy going to stop at the stop light/stop sign or is he too fast and furious?"

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

pbpancho posted:

Just finished Red Eagles: America's Secret MiGs, by Steve Davies. It chronicles the use of Mig-17, 21, and 23s back in the 70s and 80s to train US pilots, and I thought it was a great book on a very interesting topic. Check it out!

Seconded. Let me again warn you guys of Gail Peck's book on the same subject too. It's a very disjointed account of not very much at all.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Koesj posted:

Seconded. Let me again warn you guys of Gail Peck's book on the same subject too. It's a very disjointed account of not very much at all.

Peck's book includes quite a bit more info about Bobby Ellis and the other maintainers, something that Davies' book lacked (no fault of his own, most of the maintainers were very reticent to be interviewed by him or otherwise give him information.) Since I was particularly interested in that side of the story given my background/job, I thought slogging through Peck's book was still worthwhile.

But make no mistake, it is a slog...very disjointed might be too generous. And I feel bad, because he's not a terrible author writing wise (considering he's a career fighter pilot), he just really needed a good editor and apparently got no editing support from his publisher.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Fair enough, I'll do a reread through those parts then since I stopped taking in information and started editorializing after the first couple of chapters :shobon:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

:siren: :canada: Attention: Canadian Military types :canada: :siren:

YOU! could name the next Canadian military vehicle, now known as VBCI — short for Véhicule Blindé de Combat d’Infanterie.

Badger I think is pretty good, but I think I'm going to go through Livestock's "Names for Dogs" articles to see if there's anything better.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
So it's a Canadian version of a French Stryker?

Lazy Beaver MK I

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Mudfucker 5000

Edit: semi related, the :canada: govt has/is going to push the "reset" button on the F-35 procurement. So this means there will be the possibility of an open competition. Most likely with the "must be stealth" dropped.

The F-35 can still enter, of course.

priznat fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 14, 2012

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
The Daily Mail has a photo essay about Russia's junkyard, er, air museum at Ulyanovsk.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-rust-away.html

I'd like to see the photos without the lovely sepia treatment.

AntiTank
Oct 25, 2005

How the gently caress it's a graveyard, if it's clearly a museum.

loving journalists :argh:

PhotoKirk posted:

http://aviahistory.ucoz.ru/index/0-15

or here

http://www.google.de/search?q=%D0%9...w=1920&bih=1111

AntiTank fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 14, 2012

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PhotoKirk posted:

The Daily Mail has a photo essay about Russia's junkyard, er, air museum at Ulyanovsk.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-rust-away.html

http://englishrussia.com/2011/11/04/the-museum-of-civil-aviation-in-ulyanovsk/

http://eggshelluk.smugmug.com/MilitaryAircraft/Overseas-Museums/Museum-of-Civil-Aviation/20940345_FR5nxw#!i=1663537510&k=ZbLN9VD

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Why does the Tu-124 (and virtually other Soviet airliner of that area) have a bombsight? Were they designed to be converted to bombers during wartime?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

AntiTank posted:

How the gently caress it's a graveyard, if it's clearly a museum.

loving journalists :argh:

Has the Mail started employing journalists now?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

grover posted:

Why does the Tu-124 (and virtually other Soviet airliner of that area) have a bombsight? Were they designed to be converted to bombers during wartime?

Glazed nose isn't for bombing, it's for the navigator's position. Probably an equal part for possible wartime use (as a transport, not a bomber) and just a carryover from previous designs.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Glazed nose isn't for bombing, it's for the navigator's position. Probably an equal part for possible wartime use (as a transport, not a bomber) and just a carryover from previous designs.

They were pretty common on Russian planes, take the IL-76 (clearly not a bomber).

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

iyaayas01 posted:

Also, Russian navigation aids and similar systems didn't develop as quickly as in Europe and the United States, I don't think; furthermore, Russia is a goddamn big country especially when you include the former USSR members. It was something that Western airliners also sort of considered, in a way. The Boeing 707 had those little "eyebrow" windows above the main cockpit windows so it would be easier to navigate if the regular systems weren't working. Since the 707 nose was carried over wholesale to the 727 and 737, the little windows stayed around a pretty long time even when they were no longer needed, though new-build 737NGs now no longer have them.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Might come in handy with airmobile operations too.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
:toxx:

If I ever become a billionaire, I will restore a Tu-114 to flying condition.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

If I ever become a billionaire I will still never own a Russian airplane because I would spend millions restoring it and die the first time I fly it due to a drunken Russian drunkenly machining a screw of low quality steel installed by a Russian drunk on electronics cooling glycol.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

MA-Horus posted:

If I ever become a billionaire I will still never own a Russian airplane because I would spend millions restoring it and die the first time I fly it due to a drunken Russian drunkenly machining a screw of low quality steel installed by a Russian drunk on electronics cooling glycol.

If i become a billionaire i would by a saab Drakken

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I would buy some rusted piece of poo poo MiG 21, restore it to look nice ( but not fly ), and then put a computer in it to play flight sims in. Those planes just look awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

StandardVC10 posted:

Also, Russian navigation aids and similar systems didn't develop as quickly as in Europe and the United States, I don't think; furthermore, Russia is a goddamn big country especially when you include the former USSR members. It was something that Western airliners also sort of considered, in a way. The Boeing 707 had those little "eyebrow" windows above the main cockpit windows so it would be easier to navigate if the regular systems weren't working. Since the 707 nose was carried over wholesale to the 727 and 737, the little windows stayed around a pretty long time even when they were no longer needed, though new-build 737NGs now no longer have them.

I don't understand how they'd work for navigation in the jet age. You'd be above the cloud layer at least some of the time, and Russia's geographic size and sparse population mean a lack of visually distinguishable navaids in much of the country.

Who would be looking out the nose windows, anyway? Neither the Il-76 or Tu-124 windows look positioned in a way that the pilot/co-p could see out of them.

Are the 707 windows for celestial navigation?