Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Well, I have to speak about the actual benefits of the two different transmission types rather than the "fun" of it because there is absolutely nothing fun about driving a manual in stop-and-go gently caress you style Toronto traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Bob NewSCART posted:

Well, I have to speak about the actual benefits of the two different transmission types rather than the "fun" of it because there is absolutely nothing fun about driving a manual in stop-and-go gently caress you style Toronto traffic.

I was going to troll you with a 'Canada is slower than the US' thread, but then I realized you'd win the argument. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is completely invalid. Hell, someone wants to buy a loving Ford ZX3. I said "I hate them." Someone replied "They're fine." Guess what? We're both right.

That said, automatics are for girls and people who accept the French. :q:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

And the funny thing is I prefer a manual in stop and go traffic, it gives me something to do. Otherwise I just get bored as poo poo.

I grew up driving in Toronto, so yeah.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So it seems GM has recently renewed the ElCamino and Nomad trademarks, right on the heels of a peek at the new ss....

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1080920_gm-renews-el-camino-and-nomad-trademarks-hints-at-more-holdens

quote:

Now, the guys over at GM Authority have discovered via a trademark filing with the U.S. Patents and Trademarks Office that GM renewed its “El Camino” moniker on August 9 of this year. On top of this, GM also filed for the “Nomad” trademark in May, which many readers will recall was the name of a rear-wheel-drive Chevrolet station wagon.

This has led to speculation that GM plans to import not only the Holden Commodore sedan as its new Chevrolet SS, but also the Commodore Ute and Commodore Sportwagon as its modern versions of the respective Chevy El Camino and Nomad.

Of course, it’s not uncommon for automakers to file various trademarks simply to protect them from being used by rivals. However, the timing of GM’s latest moves can’t be ignored.

NASCAR recently unveiled the new Chevy SS Cup car with a a few tease pics of the production SS. And by tease I mean an image of a headlight, yippee!

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1080932_2014-chevrolet-ss-teased-in-new-images

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Chiming in on the manual vs. auto thing: It's not the quickness of gearshifts or whatever, it's the pleasure of choosing my own gear and physically putting shifting that I enjoy.

And the Ridgeline comments are spot on. It's a better SUV in a world that doesn't seem to have many true SUVs left.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

And the Ridgeline comments are spot on. It's a better SUV in a world that doesn't seem to have many true SUVs left.

How do you define a 'true SUV'?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

dissss posted:

Apparently as an AWD Accord with a tiny bed.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Chiming in on the manual vs. auto thing: It's not the quickness of gearshifts or whatever, it's the pleasure of choosing my own gear and physically putting shifting that I enjoy.

Yeah, I enjoy the (relatively) direct mechanical connection and the fact that you need to keep an at least peripheral awareness of what the engine is doing all the time. It's part of the enjoyable feeling of control and of being integrated into the machine, and it's something you can experience even at legal speeds.

That said, probably eventually manuals will remain only as options on sports cars as other factors push them out even for budget models.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dissss posted:

A vehicle that has the most sporty utility?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

So it seems GM has recently renewed the ElCamino and Nomad trademarks, right on the heels of a peek at the new ss....

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1080920_gm-renews-el-camino-and-nomad-trademarks-hints-at-more-holdens

NASCAR recently unveiled the new Chevy SS Cup car with a a few tease pics of the production SS. And by tease I mean an image of a headlight, yippee!

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1080932_2014-chevrolet-ss-teased-in-new-images

Yeah I mentioned the El Camino thing a bit back and a few people tried to crush my happy high. This is a very exciting time for GM.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Huh, must have missed it. Funny how the SS Cup car gets seen before the actual production car, wtf is up with that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

leica posted:

Huh, must have missed it. Funny how the SS Cup car gets seen before the actual production car, wtf is up with that.

Isn't the production car intended as a sort of limited production motorsports tie-in (sort of like the old 90s Impala SS) rather than a mainstream model line?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The SS is the cop car, it's on the market right now, if you're a cop.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

They wouldn't bother with making it a Cup car if it wasn't going to be a mainstream model.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Isn't the SS technically the Commodore, like the G8 was? As opposed to the Caprice, which is the longer-wheelbase Statesmen.

But yeah, I don't remember the 94-96 Impala SS having any sort of motorsport tie-in. It was simply GM being smart enough to profit from people who were begging to get their hands on the police package Caprice.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Q_res posted:

Isn't the SS technically the Commodore, like the G8 was? As opposed to the Caprice, which is the longer-wheelbase Statesmen.

But yeah, I don't remember the 94-96 Impala SS having any sort of motorsport tie-in. It was simply GM being smart enough to profit from people who were begging to get their hands on the police package Caprice.

Yeah, I meant only the limited-production part and not the motorsport part, but got lazy with the wording.

I'm pretty sure the US Caprice PPV is the Holden Caprice/Statesman, but I remember reading that they could also produce a shorter-wheelbase Commodore version if there was interest in it.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 9, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The SS is the Statesman.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's not the cop car, the SS is a limited run luxury sports sedan that's sort of the same as the cop car, but I'd imagine with leather seats.

I read somewhere they want to sell 10,000 of them a year or so.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So they're going to make a "luxury sports sedan" off a platform that's going on 7 years old and painfully outdated in every other market? When this came out BMW was still making E46s. I'm glad they didn't do this in 2006 when the car was still fresh and instead decided to keep the W-body Impala in production for like 35 years or whatever the gently caress. It's Pontiac GTO Part II.

Oh GM never change. :allears:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

The SS is the Statesman.

Pretty sure I heard that it's going to be the Commodore. What's your source for this?

Throatwarbler posted:

So they're going to make a "luxury sports sedan" off a platform that's going on 7 years old and painfully outdated in every other market? When this came out BMW was still making E46s. I'm glad they didn't do this in 2006 when the car was still fresh and instead decided to keep the W-body Impala in production for like 35 years or whatever the gently caress. It's Pontiac GTO Part II.

Oh GM never change. :allears:

Also, I think it's supposed to be based on the upcoming VF commodore. They waited until now so they could bring over the mid-cycle refresh version. And it's not like they have a ton of competition here: it's basically them and the Charger in terms of 1:1 competitors.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/consumer/1212_gm_reuss_2014_chevrolet_ss_sedan/

Supposedly it will be a "halo sedan" and be V8 only.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 9, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Since they're talking it up as halo-car, it'll be an Americanised HSV in SWB form. The front of that Cup Car is basically the current Commodore with this new GM design language added to it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

Pretty sure I heard that it's going to be the Commodore. What's your source for this?

I thought the cop car was the SS and they were already showing off pre-production models of it. Aren't they still on the wall about whether there is even going to be another Commodore?

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

dissss posted:

A vehicle whose utility is geared for sport? Find me a current production car these days that better fits that objective. It has got something for every a)redneck and b)rich guy sport I enjoy (nearly all of them) and is a nice car for my wife to daily drive because I'm a spoiled rotten sports car driver.

Not everything worthy of the term SUV has to be a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-door. gently caress.

Also it's not an AWD Accord with a small bed. That's ridiculous. It's an AWD Odyssey with a tiny bed if anything.

edit: I really hate golf though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

I thought the cop car was the SS and they were already showing off pre-production models of it. Aren't they still on the wall about whether there is even going to be another Commodore?

That's the next new cycle they're talking about. The VF Commodore is a done deal and comes out in 2013 as a somewhat substantial mid-life refresh of the crrent redesigned VE.

Also, to clarify, the Statesman/Caprice are larger versions of the Commodore riding on the same Zeta platform.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

A vehicle whose utility is geared for sport? Find me a current production car these days that better fits that objective. It has got something for every a)redneck and b)rich guy sport I enjoy (nearly all of them) and is a nice car for my wife to daily drive because I'm a spoiled rotten sports car driver.

Not everything worthy of the term SUV has to be a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-door. gently caress.

Also it's not an AWD Accord with a small bed. That's ridiculous. It's an AWD Odyssey with a tiny bed if anything.

I've actually went looking for the origins of the term. Supposedly it's 1982 and was originally "Sport/Utility Vehicle" but then other stuff came up and I didn't have time to keep going. Maybe someone can take it from here, because I'm curious now what it's supposed to mean exactly. Does the 'sport' refer to its use in off-road motorsports? Or maybe just outdoor sports? Either meaning would imply that the term was meant to indicate a dual purpose as either a utility vehicle or a 'sports' vehicle. As would interpreting the 'sport' part to be an allusion to a 'sport coat,' which is casual or leisure wear instead of a more formal sedan. Or something.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cream_Filling posted:

Or something.

Originally, it was called 'Members Only Vehicle', but they decided that was too posh at the time..

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

If I can buy a new El Camino (AWD please) in the US, that is going to be my first brand new car.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any new Elky won't have AWD.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Throatwarbler posted:

No.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

No, no, you misunderstand. It's "sport utility vehicle" as in "takes your kids to sports practice with the performance and fuel efficiency of a utility vehicle."

grover fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 9, 2012

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

How is this any different from the new model Explorers, Pathfinders, Flex, or hell, the Odyssey? If anything, Ridgeline helped redefine the SUV, and other makes followed suit. I don't see how you could call it anything like traditional or true.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

When I say 'true SUV' (never said traditional) I'm saying it's a sport utility vehicle. Not a '88 Bronco 4x4. Not a Sport Utility Vehicle. It has some off-road capability (maybe more than the new Explorer and Pathfinder, certainly more than the Flex or the Odyssey) and a no-frills interior. I think it's a vehicle that isn't designed to shuttle kids around, though we bought it in part because once we acquire those it will be able to work for that, too.

It will take 4 people camping or backpacking for a long weekend no problem, hold two dirtbikes or a four-wheeler plus all your gear, if you go hunting you can throw the deer in the bed and haul it to whereever you're taking it (I know a guy with a processing facility) without worrying about the mess and, unlike every actual truck we tested it is designed to carry people, too.

But if you want to get caught up in semantics then forget that I called it that! It's just a really useful and versatile vehicle for folks who enjoy the outdoor sports!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

The cop car isn't the SS.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

When I say 'true SUV' (never said traditional) I'm saying it's a sport utility vehicle. Not a '88 Bronco 4x4. Not a Sport Utility Vehicle. It has some off-road capability (maybe more than the new Explorer and Pathfinder, certainly more than the Flex or the Odyssey) and a no-frills interior. I think it's a vehicle that isn't designed to shuttle kids around, though we bought it in part because once we acquire those it will be able to work for that, too.

It will take 4 people camping or backpacking for a long weekend no problem, hold two dirtbikes or a four-wheeler plus all your gear, if you go hunting you can throw the deer in the bed and haul it to whereever you're taking it (I know a guy with a processing facility) without worrying about the mess and, unlike every actual truck we tested it is designed to carry people, too.

But if you want to get caught up in semantics then forget that I called it that! It's just a really useful and versatile vehicle for folks who enjoy the outdoor sports!

The term "Sport Utility Vehicle" existed before there was a vehicle that you could realistically put four-wheelers or whateverthefuck "in the back"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MikeyTsi posted:

The term "Sport Utility Vehicle" existed before there was a vehicle that you could realistically put four-wheelers or whateverthefuck "in the back"

No but you could strap a kayak to the roof and tow a trailer with four wheelers on it.

SUV means "Hey I'm not a truck, but you can do some truck things with me! Also you can put kids in me!"

They were never supposed to be rock crawling mud trucks with diesels and light bars or whatever AI thinks they should be. The Ridgeline absolutely is a good SUV. I'd even say it's better than any Explorer made today.

SUV's for the most part have turned into tall station wagons.

e- I'm pretty sure we could have fit a four wheeler in the back of my dad's old RamCharger now that I think about it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah, wasn't the point of getting an SUV over a wagon (back when both were commonly sold) basically looks, cost, ground clearance, and towing capacity? Of course, this depends on whether you'd consider the AMC Eagle an SUV.

One basic definition of an SUV, which I still like, is just the wagon bodystyle of a pickup truck. You would differentiate this from CUV on the metrics of platform (car vs. truck) and also "trucky" stuff like towing capacity.

Alternatively, you can define an SUV as a vehicle that is civilized and comfortable to drive on pavement but still has some light off-road ability and can do trucky/utility things like tow a trailer or otherwise transport heavy/dirty stuff.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
It's a shame International Harvester collapsed right before the SUV boom took off; chances are good they'd have made some SUVs that even AI would love.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

Cream_Filling posted:

Alternatively, you can define an SUV as a vehicle that is civilized and comfortable to drive on pavement but still has some light off-road ability and can do trucky/utility things like tow a trailer or otherwise transport heavy/dirty stuff.

I disagree with this. I think this is how you would define crossovers, not SUVs. Remember that for a long time SUVs were literally trucks with different bodies thrown on top. All of the "original" big-name suvs like the explorer, blazer, expedition, tahoe, etc. are were all done this way. Then people decided they wanted a giant soccer-mom-mobile that didn't ride like a dump truck and the CUV was invented.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

lazer_chicken posted:

I disagree with this. I think this is how you would define crossovers, not SUVs. Remember that for a long time SUVs were literally trucks with different bodies thrown on top. All of the "original" big-name suvs like the explorer, blazer, expedition, tahoe, etc. are were all done this way. Then people decided they wanted a giant soccer-mom-mobile that didn't ride like a dump truck and the CUV was invented.

Yeah, but last I checked (and this may have changed), CUVs can't tow for poo poo or do other truck stuff except maybe moving clean furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Yeah I guess they can't really tow but I don't see how an SUV is any better at moving "dirty" things than a CUV. They both have hatches with cargo areas in the back. What's the difference? For really really dirty poo poo only a truck is going to work.