Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

golgo13sf posted:

Wireless N?

G, but still, not even close to maxing out the signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

So is XBMC (on the ATV) usually poo poo at streaming via WIFI? I thought it was just a signal problem, but I have it about 10ft from the router now, with the computer which has the file hooked up to the router via Ethernet, but the ATV never seems to pull more than 3-5mbps, which leads to pretty much constant buffering.

I've got 2 ATV2s in my house running XBMC, one directly next to the router and one which is essentially on the other side of the wall from the router and I can stream 1080p just fine. I have an AirPort Extreme router and my NAS box is plugged directly into it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
If its 10' away use Ethernet.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
If it's N, you should get higher speeds than the wired 100 meg port, no?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

choobs posted:

If it's N, you should get higher speeds than the wired 100 meg port, no?

wireless speeds are a theoretical maximum. As in, absolutely perfect conditions, you might get this speed for a split second.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
You'll find that a 100 mbit/s wired connection is equivalent to a 200 mbit/s wireless connection except that it's not subject to interference. In the vast majority of cases a 100 mbit/s wired connection is probably faster. My ATV 3rd gen doesn't seem to like connecting at more than 65 mbit/s wirelessly, not that it matters.

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003
I found the best, best way to stream to my ATV2 running XBMC is to use FTP.

Once I started connecting to my wired NAS via FTP, and to a wireless Windows laptop via FileZilla FTP Server, pretty much all my buffering issues went away.

SMB comes with a lot of overhead, especially since it uses ol' reverse engineered Samba and not a Microsoft native SMB stack. FTP offers higher transfer rates.

I wish ATV Flash Black supported FTP streaming.. As much as I love XBMC, I like the idea of not leaving the native interface even better.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
AirPlay mirroring with my iPad (2) sucks. It's great with my iPhone 5. Is this just because of hardware and poo poo or something I can fix?

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
A co-worker is looking at getting an Apple TV, and they're cheaper in the US than the UK. A friend of his is coming to the UK soon so he was going to get them to buy one there and bring it over for him.

Anyone know of any reason why this wouldn't work (the power cable is not an issue)?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I don't see why it wouldn't. The region is decided from a menu choice and your IP/DNS. There's nothing inherently region-specific that I can tell.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Nope, I did exactly that and it works great!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FishBulb posted:

AirPlay mirroring with my iPad (2) sucks. It's great with my iPhone 5. Is this just because of hardware and poo poo or something I can fix?

I'm not really sure. Mirroring on my mini does go slow in 3d graphics heavy scenes. The rest of the time it's fine. It could be wireless or CPU speed related. The mini is the same as the iPad 2 except I believe it has faster wireless at 5GHz. Difficult to day with you telling us what the comparison is like.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Theres a new firmware for the Apple TV although I don't know the new stuff it has (except for semi-revamped UI).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Billa posted:

Theres a new firmware for the Apple TV although I don't know the new stuff it has (except for semi-revamped UI).

Looks like bug fixes and one new feature, iTunes Up Next.

quote:

The previous iOS update for Apple TV was a major one. iOS 5.1 for Apple TV brought with it a host of new features, apart from user interface improvements. Apple TV now supports Shared Photo Streams, AirPlay and multiple iTunes accounts which can easily and swiftly be switched. iOS 5.1.1 for Apple TV now eliminates any bugs that might have been present in the previous update. Also, this update is only available for second and third generation Apple TVs only, just like iOS 5.1 is.

The new feature added to Apple TV in iOS 5.1.1 is called iTunes Up Next. It adds support for Up Next with iTunes 11 or iTunes Match. Basically iTunes Up Next allows you to see upcoming songs when playing music on your Apple TV. Users also have the ability to add new songs and edit what’s queued with the Apple TV Remote or by using the Remote app on their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

FCKGW posted:

Looks like bug fixes and one new feature, iTunes Up Next.

Your avatar is pure awesomeness, I love it.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
From the Mac thread:

I just bought a new Apple TV.

I'm having a problem. I have a Cisco/Linksys E2500 dual-band Wireless-N router, (http://home.cisco.com/en-eu/products/routers/E2500)

I am using it with a 15" MBP Retina.

When I try to do airplay mirroring or load my iTunes library, it skips/lags/freezes up.

I tried connecting the Apple TV to the router directly with an ethernet cable, which made airplay mirroring work great. However, when I try to load my iTunes library, it says I must be connected to the same network as the library for Home Sharing.

Summary: Over wifi, Apple TV can connect to my iTunes library, but its very laggy and Airplay mirroring barely loads/freezes. With Apple TV over ethernet, airplay mirroring works great, but I can't connect to my iTunes library.

Any ideas?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Try turning Home Sharing off then back on when connected to Ethernet. It's weird sometimes.

eiddetham
Sep 22, 2003

Tap bitch.
It seems like the latest update fixed Hulu and some other things not working while connected on ethernet bug, so I'm pretty happy about that!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Akuma posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't. The region is decided from a menu choice and your IP/DNS. There's nothing inherently region-specific that I can tell.

Even if it auto-detects based on IP you just switch it back over. I live in Kuwait and set it to US because the Kuwait store is only an app store and even then missing certain apps.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Even if it auto-detects based on IP you just switch it back over. I live in Kuwait and set it to US because the Kuwait store is only an app store and even then missing certain apps.
With the second part I was referring more to services like Netflix and Hulu, sorry, should've mentioned that!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Akuma posted:

With the second part I was referring more to services like Netflix and Hulu, sorry, should've mentioned that!

Oh yeah that stuff only works if I use a VPN.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I use a DNS service for US content from the UK.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FYI, Unblock-us.com works great on the Apple TV.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

mediaphage posted:

FYI, Unblock-us.com works great on the Apple TV.

Neat, but this will only unblock US sites that don't allow foreign IPs right? The VPNs people here use also get around the government-censored sites.

Edit: This seems so much simpler though, it's literally just changing DNS settings then authenticating on website.

Ok before I try it out, Hulu on the ATV is the paid version of Hulu right? Same with Netflix?

I'll try to get a free netflix trial to coincide with the free Unblock trial to see how it works.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 3, 2012

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Ok before I try it out, Hulu on the ATV is the paid version of Hulu right? Same with Netflix?

I'll try to get a free netflix trial to coincide with the free Unblock trial to see how it works.

Correct, Hulu is only for Hulu plus subscribers. Netflix doesn't have a free option. The free trial will just give you a Netflix account for 3 months or something.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Neat, but this will only unblock US sites that don't allow foreign IPs right? The VPNs people here use also get around the government-censored sites.

Edit: This seems so much simpler though, it's literally just changing DNS settings then authenticating on website.

Yeah you're right about the government blocks - I just wanted to point out that it's easy for stuff like the Apple TV and other boxes.

It also works for BBC's iPlayer, Channel 4 on demand, etc.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Those of you looking to cash in on your ATV2's better sell them fast.

ATV3 has been jailbroken, Beta soon

Edit: Apparently only a rumor:

FCKGW posted:

No, it hasn't. This is a garbage press release that the website appletv3jailbreak.com keeps buying. I've seen this news spam all over the place the past few weeks, trying to drive traffic to their website.

There is no AppleTV 3 jailbreak. Just read the article, the website referenced isn't a "hacking group", it's a blog with a bunch of ads and affiliate links.

Here's what nitoTV said just 2 weeks ago.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 6, 2012

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Of course. 3 days after I broke down and bought an AD12 since it seemed like the ATV3 was never getting jailbroken. Oh well, I have another TV I need XBMC on.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MickRaider posted:

Those of you looking to cash in on your ATV2's better sell them fast.

ATV3 has been jailbroken, Beta soon

No, it hasn't. This is a garbage press release that the website appletv3jailbreak.com keeps buying. I've seen this news spam all over the place the past few weeks, trying to drive traffic to their website.

There is no AppleTV 3 jailbreak. Just read the article, the website referenced isn't a "hacking group", it's a blog with a bunch of ads and affiliate links.

Here's what nitoTV said just 2 weeks ago.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think the ATV3 will ever be jailbroken. I just use mine for iPad mirroring and iTunes Home Sharing my kids shows. Might redo my XBMC HTPC into a Plex setup and grab a Roku for the bedrooms.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

FCKGW posted:

No, it hasn't.

Sorry about the bad source. Was excited about the potential only to have it poof away.

Glad I still have my ATV2

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Anyone wanna throw down me some repositories for my freshly jailbroken ATV2? There doesn't seem to be a good single site for all this crap.

Or should I throw this in the JB thread? My concern is that the JB thread seems very much less focused on the ATV than it is iPhones, iPads, iPods.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

averox posted:

Anyone wanna throw down me some repositories for my freshly jailbroken ATV2? There doesn't seem to be a good single site for all this crap.

Or should I throw this in the JB thread? My concern is that the JB thread seems very much less focused on the ATV than it is iPhones, iPads, iPods.

There really is no central repository full of apps for the apple TV or anything like that. Check the OP for a list of popular things to do with your apple TV and follow the links to tutorials etc.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm gonna be selling both my jailbroken ATV2s. Got sick of all the buffering issues that I could not fix no matter what and hooked up my Acer Revo back up and enjoying OpenELEC with 0 issues.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone having issues connecting their AppleTV to their iTunes Home Share since going to iTunes 11?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is your ATV up to date?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've checked it several times.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

Anyone having issues connecting their AppleTV to their iTunes Home Share since going to iTunes 11?

Updated the ATV first then itunes. I had to reboot my computer after that. Can't remember if I did anything else but it worked after that. I still haven't tested the new features.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Yes. Just had this issue at a clients house. Have not fixed it yet. Using an AppleTV 3 and iTunes 11 running on an iMac with Mountain Lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Is there anyway to have Netflix play episodes of TV shows without quitting out to the Netflix menu?

• Locked thread