Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
Been working on assembling all the various bits and bobs to make a God/Sim game about colonizing Mars. Something in the vein of Dwarf Fortress or Evil Genius, but focusing on maintaining a healthy colony a long way from home in a hostile environment.

Anyhow, I've been working on laying the foundation -- behavior trees, game components, pathfinding, etc. I finally have something gamelike!

Here's the ugly map with a colonist (green square) carrying some steel to go build a brick press!

Speaking of the brick press, it's defined in a file like:
code:
{
  "components": {
    "render": {
      "element_name": "brick_press_blueprint.png"
    },
    "job": {
      "work_list": [
        { "tree_name": "Blueprints_brick_press"}
      ]
    }
  }
}
The buildings all define all the work that colonists can do, the colonist himself is pretty stupid and just takes orders from the building. Here's the one for the converting the blueprint into an actual building:

(I'm using Unity and Behave.)

Now the really fun stuff starts. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Pfhreak posted:

Here's the ugly map with a colonist (green square) carrying some steel to go build a brick press!

Please tell me it's based on Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy :allears:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Just a data visualization of values that have a slope applied to them. 2D graphics in iOS.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Huragok posted:

Please tell me it's based on Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy :allears:

That's one of the biggest inspirations. Basically that chapter, the Crucible, blew my mind years ago and I've always wanted it to be a game. That and things like the Global Village Construction Set (http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Global_Village_Construction_Set). I love me some Science and Engineering.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Pfhreak posted:

(I'm using Unity and Behave.)
How is Behave treating you?

I'm weighing the pros and cons of writing my own behavior tree system for Next Game, or using that. I'd just write my own, but having a UI-driven thingy would be kind of sweet.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Shalinor posted:

How is Behave treating you?

I'm weighing the pros and cons of writing my own behavior tree system for Next Game, or using that. I'd just write my own, but having a UI-driven thingy would be kind of sweet.

If it didn't have that beautiful UI... The documentation is poor, at best. The entire thing is closed source, so there's no tweaking it to suit your needs. I have a class file (my Colonist agent) that is super bloated because every action/decorator is a set of functions on a class.

On the flip side, I'm delighted every time I wire up a behavior and it's as simple as dragging a few 'gather resource' nodes onto a window. Boom, new game entity. For me, it has high highs and low lows, and could use some love and attention (and some open source!)

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
After way too many hours, progress on my emulator is starting to actually get somewhere!

There are still some strange bugs here and there that cause a lot of stuff to crash, but these games seem to run pretty dang well so far. Next up, sound and speeding this up past a crawl! I've got a sourceforge for it set up here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/cbrick

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Toekutr posted:

found a cool algorithm on flipcode and I made some screenshots.

Edit:
here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfS7HDmVVlE

I thought this looked really cool, so I whipped up some javascript along the same lines: http://nsevens.com/recursivefill.html

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

not a dinosaur posted:

I thought this looked really cool, so I whipped up some javascript along the same lines: http://nsevens.com/recursivefill.html

This is cool, looks like it could be repurposed for procedural terrain/world generation? You get a lot of things that look like land-masses at various points, with natural-ish colour boundaries you could use for height or biome or countries or what-have-you. And if you stop the white going back over part-way through it forms a fairly convincing negative-space ocean with little streaks of islands. And the whole thing tiles!

seiken fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 12, 2012

Jewel
May 2, 2009

seiken posted:

This is cool, looks like it could be repurposed for procedural terrain/world generation? You get a lot of things that look like land-masses at various points, with natural-ish colour boundaries you could use for height or biome or countries or what-have-you. And if you stop the white going back over part-way through it forms a fairly convincing negative-space ocean with little streaks of islands. And the whole thing tiles!

No real need to, though. Just with some simple.. I guess they're Quadtrees? Kinda? Not optimized or anything though, so each level always has the same amount of cells in it, I should do that some time. Anyway with those you can get perfectly fine islands like this:

I just generated some random noise with a 40% chance for it to be 1, 60% for it to be 0 (1 is land, 0 water).

Then when splitting, I loop through the new half size grid, I get the percentage of cells around whatever cell from the previous layer that overlaps with the smaller cell, that have land on them (can only be 0, 25, 50, 75, or 100%).

If that number's over 50 then there's definitely land there. Under 50, definitely water. If it's 50, then it's a random chance 50/50 water/land.

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 24, 2020

Bradzor
Mar 18, 2007
Fwhaa?

Contains Acetone posted:

It's been awhile since I've posted. Not much has changed visually with VisualRBM, but I've added dropout regularization and fixed tons of bugs. I've also been writing command-line tools for dealing with IDX data files.

I've also been working site design (as best I can on Google Code) for the project page: http://code.google.com/p/visual-rbm/

I seem to be consistently getting 3 or 4 new visitors a day searching for relevant things, so I must be doing something right!

Any reason for not using Github? I think you might get more people interested in it if it was over there.

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 24, 2020

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Git and Users.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

Git and Users.

And usability.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Git and Users.

Pretty sure Google Code offers git.

Regardless, GitHub offers an audience. If you don't mind obscurity, and aren't inclined to facilitate collaboration with other people, I think there's no real problem with Google Code.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Regardless, GitHub offers an audience. If you don't mind obscurity, and aren't inclined to facilitate collaboration with other people, I think there's no real problem with Google Code.
If you don't want an audience, you might want a private repository, in which case you should just use BitBucket.org (they do Git and Hg). Free private repo's for up to 5 users, which is fine for most small projects.

I'm not sure there's any particularly good reason to use Google Code. It's just kind of there.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I'm playing with perlin noise and some postprocessing of it from an old project, there's not much else to say to that:

This one is a lot more interesting for me although the screenshot isn't:

It's a bunch of things moving around on very big, interface-scrollable 3d map (similar to DF) using multithreaded A* with some caching of results. Just using plain ol' OpenGL for visualization. When I'm done gussying up a C64 I worked on as side project, I'm gonna spend some more time putting the above screenshot in the one below. Sadly I never get to leisure program much, last time I really worked on this was many months ago and the thing I was doing was storing the tile information in quadtrees which did my head in a little at the time. It's more a proof-of-concept/study thing than being a game project though.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 16, 2012

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Gonna crosspost my Screenshot Saturday post over in here, too.

Changed the way "Abilities" are used dramatically, with a fail-condition when your ability runs out of "Juice".

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Mug posted:

Gonna crosspost my Screenshot Saturday post over in here, too.

Changed the way "Abilities" are used dramatically, with a fail-condition when your ability runs out of "Juice".

So how are you supposed to make that machine go haywire if the ability runs out halfway? Or aren't you supposed to be able to if your ability's not high enough? If that's the case why not disable the haywire option for that machine? Or make it just slower to hack, rather than unhackable?

Of course, some of this stuff is probably not how it is, but it's how it seems from the picture!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Jewel posted:

So how are you supposed to make that machine go haywire if the ability runs out halfway? Or aren't you supposed to be able to if your ability's not high enough? If that's the case why not disable the haywire option for that machine? Or make it just slower to hack, rather than unhackable?

Of course, some of this stuff is probably not how it is, but it's how it seems from the picture!

You can't do it. You're expected to try, see that it's not going to work, and go try doing something else to get through the situation. It's hard to tell if a HAYWIRE! will work before you try because the difference between one that's linked to 1 Computer, and one that's linked to 2 Locked Doors is really small, so you basically try and see what happens. You can cancel it half-way, too.

It makes a bit more sense when you're trying to actually do things to people while they're distracted, you have a challenge which is "Your Skill Level" vs "Creature's Health", if you try to kill them from behind and fail, they notice you and turn around.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Police Automaton posted:

multithreaded A* with some caching of results
Jump point search can give pretty impressive speedups versus A* by exploiting path symmetries.

fcbarros
Mar 28, 2011

DeathBySpoon posted:

After way too many hours, progress on my emulator is starting to actually get somewhere!

There are still some strange bugs here and there that cause a lot of stuff to crash, but these games seem to run pretty dang well so far. Next up, sound and speeding this up past a crawl! I've got a sourceforge for it set up here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/cbrick

Nice, I love emulators, they were the biggest source of knowledge in my programmer life. Keep the good work!!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Not a screenshot, precisely, but a friend (Folmer) did this up, and it's going to become the Jones On Fire loading screen. And also probably a poster on my wall :rock:

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
So some of you may remember i mentioned i was working on a roguelike earlier on, well after spending the last few weeks on assignments for uni ive been doing some work on a random map generator for it and I'm about 1/3 done, i can generate rooms but i need to add code to ensure the rooms don't overlap and then add corridors joining them up.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Kea posted:

So some of you may remember i mentioned i was working on a roguelike earlier on, well after spending the last few weeks on assignments for uni ive been doing some work on a random map generator for it and I'm about 1/3 done, i can generate rooms but i need to add code to ensure the rooms don't overlap and then add corridors joining them up.

For ensuring rooms don't overlap, I recommend generation using a BSP Tree. Easy method, and creates nice-looking distributions of rooms on the screen.

As some of you might know, Ludum Dare 25 is underway and nearly over, with the theme 'You are the Villain'. I've just finished and posted my game, "A Peril of Pauline's".

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Red Mike posted:

For ensuring rooms don't overlap, I recommend generation using a BSP Tree.

Thats a million times better than my method, i may have to try implementing that, though ill probably use my method for now since its halfway done.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Red Mike posted:

As some of you might know, Ludum Dare 25 is underway and nearly over, with the theme 'You are the Villain'. I've just finished and posted my game, "A Peril of Pauline's".

This would be a lot more intuitive if the junctions changed appearance instead of having a color by them.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

God drat this took way too loving long to get working right. All due to one line of code messing everything up. Anyway multidirectional shadows in XNA.

Oh also winforms and XNA playing nice together I guess.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 17, 2012

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Scaevolus posted:

This would be a lot more intuitive if the junctions changed appearance instead of having a color by them.

I attempted this starting out, but I couldn't manage to make them distinct and still keep all three exits travel-able at any one point. Point taken, though. I've received several comments about junctions not being intuitive.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Manslaughter posted:

God drat this took way too loving long to get working right. All due to one line of code messing everything up. Anyway multidirectional shadows in XNA.

Where are all of the light sources for this picture. The obvious 'sun' in the top right, but the shadows feel wrong if that's the only source.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Manslaughter posted:

Also, since shadows are the absence of light, they don't stack. If you're gonna have multiple light sources it'd look way more natural if you could have just one level of shadow calculated from all of them.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

seiken posted:

Also, since shadows are the absence of light, they don't stack. If you're gonna have multiple light sources it'd look way more natural if you could have just one level of shadow calculated from all of them.
They do stack in the case of dueling light sources of different colors, though, which is what he seems to have. Or, rather, the lit areas stack, which gives the impression of the shadows stacking, even though wht you're actually seeing is comparative color subtraction.

Looks pretty cool, Manslaughter. I agree that your test scene doesn't look very natural, but it shows off the capabilities of the system nicely.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

There is a pure white light in the top right and a greenish light on the left. Imagine that if there was no light the entire scene would be blue.

I'm actually planning two systems. The one seen here is an additive blending where the 'shadows' are the ambient color of the level, and the next is going to be a subtractive blending.

The lights in this image are super intensified so that the effect can be seen. I'll definitely be toning it down for actual designs.

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009
I've been working on and off on a roguelike game; originally it used ascii for graphics

Then at some point I figured it would be cool if you could sneak behind enemies, but that would require player to know where the npcs are looking at so I replaced the ascii with simple 2D graphics using SDL

At this point the UI was still text based, clearing the screen when needed and printing various menus and waiting player to press key to select options etc. but I got tired with this so I implemented simple GUI.

All in all, not exactly the most complicated project in the world but it's been nice excuse to learn things like how to write GUI or implement A* for pathfinding (and then reimplement it few more times so it isn't such a massive performance hog).

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Crosspost from the game thread: here's a browser based game in the style of Scorched Earth I'm working on using javascript/html5. It seems to work best in chrome. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

Crosspost from the game thread: here's a browser based game in the style of Scorched Earth I'm working on using javascript/html5. It seems to work best in chrome. Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

I'm not seeing any difference in the skill levels. Thy hit the perfect angle for a dead on hit on me every time.

EDIT: Well I may be exaggerating a little.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

I have a suggestion. Socket.IO multiplayer. I'm messing around with it right now and it's pretty easy to work with.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

HappyHippo posted:

This is really cool so far. I like the controls, although it'd be nice if the angle and power settings were remembered between turns instead of going direct into mouse control.

Seconding the multiplayer suggestion as a priority, even before more weapons and defenses.

This is just so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

HappyHippo posted:

This is very cool.

When it's my turn, the aiming thing (protractor?) doesn't appear until I move my mouse. If it appeared once it was my turn, that'd be a great indicator that it is indeed my turn.

nthing multiplayer. socket.io is probably the right place to start, and probably the right place to stop too.