Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
As far as first base types are concerned, I've got a bunch of dudes who can do it.

I've got a 1978 Carl Yastrzemski, a 1978 Jim Rice, a 1951 Stan the Man(who I am reluctant to trade away), and the 2011 Prince Fielder I just picked up.

I'd be most interested in picking up a better CF option, an upgrade at MIF, or pitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Mornacale posted:

I'm phone posting, so alas I can't link you our make a specific offer, but if you check my recent posts I've been repeatedly linking to a Google spreadsheet that lists every marginally interesting player I own. Take a gander and make me an offer. I'm especially interested in sending over my last pick (#72 I think); there's one guy i really want and then I'm mostly set.

I'm pretty happy with my 1B situation, but I won't categorically rule anything out. My starter's Gehrig though, so an offer would have to be real impressive.

:siren: POSSIBLE PROPOSAL :siren:

OK, how about a straight pick for pick swap along with 2004 Mike Gonzalez?

Sadly, it doesn't look like you have anyone at catcher on the trade block except for Craig Wilson, who scarcely played the position at all. Otherwise I'd try and throw in Blue for a lower level C. (If you do have someone there who is better than my current options, which probably isn't a hard ask, let me know because I'd like to toss him in as well if possible.)

UZworm fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 9, 2012

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

UZworm posted:

:siren: POSSIBLE PROPOSAL :siren:

OK, how about a straight pick for pick swap along with 2004 Mike Gonzalez?

Sadly, it doesn't look like you have anyone at catcher on the trade block except for Craig Wilson, who scarcely played the position at all. Otherwise I'd try and throw in Blue for a lower level C. (If you do have someone there who is better than my current options, which probably isn't a hard ask, let me know because I'd like to toss him in as well if possible.)

I'd really like to keep Orosco/Aguilera/Gonzalez/Dick Hall at this stage (Dick Hall mostly because he fits my defense really well). Would you do it for any other reliever?

e: Alternately, I'd trade Gonzalez for your pick outright.

e2: As for C, no, I had 3 good backup C's but I've now traded away two of them so I have to hold on to the last. All I can offer is the Craig Wilson lottery ticket--he did play mostly C in the minors, so I have no idea what BBM will think--which I'd definitely part with to switch picks. Wilson plus a lesser reliever for the pick swap?

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 9, 2012

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

UZworm: 1976 Ron Reed for you're pick. Interested?

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Archie Goodwin!

I hope you're still around dude, because your team may not be as dead as you think!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, so, for those of you who weren't in the channel, this happened:

Meaning that the Gumshoes have taken the Woodchucks place in Super-League VIII, as per a deal I made with Bruzer.

So, Archie Goodwin, your team lives! And, I'm going to do something nice for it since it just saved my rear end, the details of which will be forthcoming.

Wait, what? Haha, I'll take it!

:neckbeard:

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
So if I smash Michael Young and Placido Polanco together really hard, like Little Boy gun barrel critical mass bomb hard, will I have Rogers Hornsby playing shortstop?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
UZWorm

PICK. NOW.

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
This is the only thread that slows down during the weekend.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Looks like I have the next pick, and I'm looking to trade down - anyone buying?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Viscount Slim posted:

So if I smash Michael Young and Placido Polanco together really hard, like Little Boy gun barrel critical mass bomb hard, will I have Rogers Hornsby playing shortstop?
Briefly, before it decays into a shower of gamma rays and the 1967 Mets' infielders.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Warm Sarsaparilla posted:

Looks like I have the next pick, and I'm looking to trade down - anyone buying?

I am if you can give me a better deal than UZWorm is offering. I've got #72.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
Well gently caress, I thought that I made a post in here on my phone three hours ago, but apparently it never went through. Really sorry about that, guys.

If I'm on the clock, I'll accept the trade between me and Mornacale for Gonzalez.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

UZworm posted:

Well gently caress, I thought that I made a post in here on my phone three hours ago, but apparently it never went through. Really sorry about that, guys.

If I'm on the clock, I'll accept the trade between me and Mornacale for Gonzalez.

Is that the pick for Gonzalez outright, or the pick for pick with Gonzalez changing teams?

e: either way, Mornacale is now on the clock.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Is that the pick for Gonzalez outright, or the pick for pick with Gonzalez changing teams?

e: either way, Mornacale is now on the clock.

I think it's pick for pick with Gonzalez going to me? I'll wait for him to confirm though.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

UZworm posted:

I think it's pick for pick with Gonzalez going to me? I'll wait for him to confirm though.

No, I offered Gonzalez for the pick straight up, or Craig Wilson + a lesser reliever (anyone not on my starting lineup) for a pick swap.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Mornacale posted:

No, I offered Gonzalez for the pick straight up, or Craig Wilson + a lesser reliever (anyone not on my starting lineup) for a pick swap.

OK, I'm fine with the pick straight up. Not too concerned about having the 72nd pick in the draft.

Don't want to risk it on Wilson since he played almost no C in the majors, which I assume is what they're counting in BBM.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Okay, the Bloggers take 1981 Jeff Reardon and hope it's the upgrade I think it is.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Soon.

Current top build: Dispersal Draft pick + 1st-round SuperDraft pick

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

Mornacale posted:

Okay, the Bloggers take 1981 Jeff Reardon and hope it's the upgrade I think it is.

Hahaha, well, brace yourself.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

I feel it's only appropriate to the Coburns that I draft Dave Stieb, a broken-down version of whom hosed over the Cutthroats.

I'll also be adding '13 Eppa Rixey from the Comancheros to complete the Coburn 30-man roster. You cannot have enough starting pitching.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Damnation! I was thinking of taking Stieb! I don't trust the rookie Mike Mussina - I've already got rookie Stottlemeyer and rookie Lowe - so instead I hereby select:

1984 Rick Sutcliffe

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

YOU FUCKER

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
'71 Vida Blue please

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

'71 Vida Blue please

a man with a long and storied history of failure in the super league. I wish you well.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, so, a few things:

First, in honor of the Gumshoes defeating the Woodchucks, I hereby award them Sadaharu Oh to handle their DH hole and THE Thornton Lee because he is THE Thornton Lee.

I also award them the Larkin-Downing Award of Excellence, which they shall hold until another team mounts a 4-run comeback against them in the ninth.

As far as the rest of you, Super-League VIII is still a few days away, but that's mainly because you guys draft slowly.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm a broken record here. Still looking to move 1995 Derek Jeter. Looking for SP depth, C depth, or an everyday Center fielder. PM me or hit me up in IRC.

I also (depending on how the next few picks go) may want to trade down from 66. Again, I'd need a decent piece at SP or C to do so.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I am going to bed. Can I draft tomorrow?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I am going to bed. Can I draft tomorrow?

Post your top 3 choices or give them to a neutral observer!

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
If I must draft before I wake, my top three choices are:

Ryan Braun '11
Sal Bando '71
Mike Mussina '91

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

mrnoun posted:

Here's the insurance plan I've been thinking about :

At the time of the Super Draft:

IF Tejada's OBP < .300 (he's not contributing on offense)
AND Tejada's DRAA < 0 (and he's also playing bad defense)
OR if one of them is truly lousy (OBP < .250, or DRAA < -10)

THEN the Landers have the right to one of the following:

-Return Tejada to the Commies, in return for your 1st round pick, to draft a new shortstop;
-Exchange our 1st round pick for your 1st round pick, if you decide you'd rather have a pick than Tejada back;
-Or, if your pick ends up being in, say, the Top 5 (really really valuable), you can opt to void the deal and return Maddux for Tejada, keeping your pick.

This sounds agreeable as long as I'm the one picking which of those happens if the time comes - insurance of a resolution for you, flexibility for me to assess my team's needs better than I can several hypothetical months out. Is there another player you'd have targeted in lieu of this agreement, just to minimize the complexity here?

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Faustoan Bargain posted:

This sounds agreeable as long as I'm the one picking which of those happens if the time comes - insurance of a resolution for you, flexibility for me to assess my team's needs better than I can several hypothetical months out. Is there another player you'd have targeted in lieu of this agreement, just to minimize the complexity here?

Yeah, the idea wasn't to set in stone which option to go with until we saw how the season was shaping up. I don't think it'd be too hard for us to agree on compensation should the situation arise. Worst case, we'd each veto our worst option, and go with whatever's left (the benefit of having exactly three options).

I don't believe you have anyone on your roster who'd be able to help me without hurting you, but I'll take another look.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, because I want this draft to end sometime in my lifetime, and most of the players at this point are backups anyway, I'm initiated Sudden-Death rules for the rest of this draft.

The way this will work is that you have two hours to make your pick, after which I'll just give your team a random player from the draft pool.

Shadow gamer, you have two hours from this post. And begin.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Some :siren: TRADE STUFF :siren:

I have 2009 "The Fall of" Troy Glaus, 1919 Happy "The Gambling Man" Felsch, and 2011 Joaquin "Phoenix" Benoit, all of which I will trade straight up for one of the next three or four picks.

Felsch and Glaus are likely bench players, and Benoit is definitely only a reliever at that point in his career, but if you're going to pick a starting player from the draft pool at this point you're probably screwed anyways.

Also, I'm looking to acquire Jimmy Rollins, since he is in my logo and it feels inappropriate to enter the Super-League without him. I don't even know if any team in the SL has him, but if you do, let me know what you're looking for.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Okay, because I want this draft to end sometime in my lifetime, and most of the players at this point are backups anyway, I'm initiated Sudden-Death rules for the rest of this draft.

The way this will work is that you have two hours to make your pick, after which I'll just give your team a random player from the draft pool.

Shadow gamer, you have two hours from this post. And begin.

I'm pretty sure Shadow gamer's time was up before you even made this post, wasn't it?

e: Also, here's the draft board: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkF311T6qtJidFJyZDFJNGpjRFllVG80MzFmTWJGQVE

e2: mentholmoose, I can get my hands on an upcoming pick, but I don't see how any of those guys beat my current options. Are you willing to offer a better reliever?

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 10, 2012

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
I didn't even realize I was on the board.

With the sixty-third pick The Cuba Smokers select...

1979 Keith Hernandez

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Hey Marauder! Remember how you want to subject Ty "Wiggy" Wigginton to eternal torment, etc.? Know how you got the very last pick of the draft and there's no chance that any of those players so much as makes your second string? Want to swap valueless assets?

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

First, in honor of the Gumshoes defeating the Woodchucks, I hereby award them Sadaharu Oh to handle their DH hole and THE Thornton Lee because he is THE Thornton Lee.

Well, that is just awesome. And excellent news, though a rotating door of Old Evans/Older Schmidt/Kruk/Baines would have been funny, if tragic. And now I have a fifth rotation arm that won't make me drink like a down-on-his-luck shamus!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I also award them the Larkin-Downing Award of Excellence, which they shall hold until another team mounts a 4-run comeback against them in the ninth.

Given my knuckleballing walk machine Hall of Fame closer, I am confident I will hold this honor for approximately three series the foreseeable future.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
By the way, Monicro, you're on the clock til 4:40 EST by my count.

Probably we should start mentioning who is next whenever someone picks. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Let's hurry this up!

Florida Dickshots (out of time) pick '71 Sal Bando.

Albany Pessimists (per preferences) pick '11 Ryan Braun

mks5000, you're now on the clock!