Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
By the way, Viscount Slim, make your pick already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Quoting this post for the next page in case anyone's interested:

mentholmoose posted:

I'm looking to move up to one of the next five picks.

The Philadelphia Failures trade block:

1919 Happy Felsch - CF, Career 123 OPS+, alright in the field when he wasn't losing on purpose.
2009 Troy Glaus - 3B, Good defensive 3B, career 119 OPS+, kind of old by 2009 but he should still be serviceable.
2011 Joaquin Benoit - RP, Career 8.7 K/9, 9.3 K/9 that year with a 3.71 K/BB, career 108 ERA+, 141 that season.
Pick #56.

I'd be willing to put all of those players together for a good reliever and one of the next five picks.

And then some other stuff:

Mornacale posted:

e: Bloggers also interested in moving this here 1982 Robin Yount for a superior SS glove. I definitely like Honus, A-Rod, Ripken, and Ozzie better defensively, anyone else you need to convince me. (I could also go for some kind of complicated trade wherein I end up with an SS better than Aparicio and a top 3B or 2B or SP.)

I have 1992 Ozzie Smith if you're interested. Kind of old but he still did really good defense-wise in the EC and didn't get injured at all during the season.

In the mean time, here's my unofficial, pre-Supplemental Draft roster for Super League VIII:

Starters:
code:
C	- 1953 Yogi Berra
1B	- 2011 Adrian Gonzalez
2B	- 2011 Dustin Pedroia
SS	- 1992 Ozzie Smith
3B	- 1985 Paul Molitor
LF	- 1962 Willie McCovey
CF	- 1980 Rickey Henderson
RF	- 2005 Lance Berkman
DH	- 2011 David Ortiz
Bench:
code:
C	- 1932 Ernie Lombardi
OF/2B	- 2005 Craig Biggio
SS/3B	- 2009 Jhonny Peralta
1B/3B	- 2011 Kevin Youkilis
CF	- 1992 Ray Lankford
Pitching Rotation:
code:
1. SP	- 1919 Hippo Vaughn
2. SP	- 2005 Roger Clemens
3. SP	- 1919 Pete Alexander
4. SP	- 2005 Roy Oswalt
5. SP 	- 2011 Jon Lester
Bullpen:
code:
CL	- 2011 Jonathan Papelbon
SU	- 1992 Lee Smith
SR	- 1961 Stan Williams
SR	- 2005 Brad Lidge
MR	- 1992 Todd Worrell
LR	- 2011 Josh Beckett
Minors:
code:
SP	- 1978 John Candelaria
SP	- 1964 Robin Roberts
OF/1B	- 1992 Bernard Gilkey
1B	- 2009 Travis Hafner
3B	- 2009 Troy Glaus

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 8, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
New teams probably should wait until the draft is over before posting their rosters. Also, they only have 30 slots.

Also, here's the draft spreadsheet

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Are there any trades that you've ever approved? On a less smart-assy note, I've already said that I'd make the trade, so I'll do it, unless Mornacle is willing to let it slide. I've got some standards that I hold.

How about this? Pick any pitcher not currently on my 30-man and add him to the deal. (link to roster) Or 1968 Earl Wilson or 1964 Stu Miller.

Red Lucas was reliable for me in EC with a good infield defense, and I see you have Aparicio (and of course would have my former 2B). I also have a few old relievers in '64 Harvey Haddix, '68 Don McMahon, '68 Roy Face, '90 Terry Leach, '90 Juan Berenguer, '90 John Candelaria and '04 Jose Mesa that were good those years but may not get the rolls in BBM (heck, take two of these dudes if you want). '68 Les Cain, '90 Rich Garces, and '04 Sean Burnett are some more young lottery tickets.

Would you feel okay with that? I do swear to you that I honestly think Smasher's underselling Grantham, but I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat.

e: Or instead take my 2nd-round SuperDraft pick. I think it ought to be able to get you at least a better RP than any of those options, and maybe something better if my team isn't very good.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 8, 2012

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Mornacale posted:

e: Or instead take my 2nd-round SuperDraft pick. I think it ought to be able to get you at least a better RP than any of those options, and maybe something better if my team isn't very good.

I'll take your draft pick, then. If my team bursts into flames, then I wish you the best of luck.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

New Orleans Mashers Trade Block

'64 Jim Fregosi - Didn't hit worth a drat for me, but rolled an 86/95 and could wreck poo poo in the Super League.

'10 Cliff Lee - My lovely defense let him down, but is a 91 OVR and doesn't give up many dingers and will pitch very well if you have an average defense behind him.

not Dick Allen - Dick Allen is Ours and You Can't Have Him

Looking for OFers, basically.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Archie Goodwin!

I hope you're still around dude, because your team may not be as dead as you think!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

C: 1970 Thurman Munson
1B: 2011 Ryan Howard v. Righties, 1989 Mark McGwire v. Lefties
2B: 1910 Nap Lajoie
3B: 2011 Chase Utley
SS: 1929 Bernie Friberg
LF: 1929 Lefty O'Doul
CF: 1953 Mickey Mantle
RF: 1929 Chuck Klein
DH: 1910 Joe Jackson

Bench: 1929 Spud Davis, 1929 Pinky Whitney, 2011 Jimmy Rollins, 2011 Placido Polanco, [section of 1B platoon that isn't playing]

Lineup:

1. Mickey Mantle
2. Joe Jackson
3. Nap Lajoie
4. [1B platoon]
5. Lefty O'Doul
6. Chuck Klein
7. Thurman Munson
8. Chase Utley
9. Bernie Friberg

SP1: 1917 Walter Johnson
SP2: 1910 Addie Joss
SP3: 2011 Roy Halladay
SP4: 2011 Cole Hamels
SP5: 2011 Cliff Lee
CL: 2011 Brad Lidge
SU: 2011 Ryan Madson
SR: 2011 Antonio Bastardo
SR: 2011 Roy Oswalt
MR: 1910 Cy Falkenberg
LR: 1910 Cy Young

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 8, 2012

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN
:siren: Trade Offer :siren:

The Cuba Smokers receive '10 Cliff Lee

The New Orleans Smashers receive CF 1951 Del Ennis

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

mentholmoose posted:

I have 1992 Ozzie Smith if you're interested. Kind of old but he still did really good defense-wise in the EC and didn't get injured at all during the season.

I could see a deal that includes McCovey, Berra, Alexander, or Hippo (not necessarily a 2-for-1 of course). Make me an offer if you dare.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Shadow gamer posted:

:siren: Trade Offer :siren:

The Cuba Smokers receive '10 Cliff Lee

The New Orleans Smashers receive CF 1951 Del Ennis

I'll think about it but I really don't like how that season was one of the worst of his "peak". If it was a '50 or '52 I'd like it a lot more but as is he looks like bench material, even with my ugly OF.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
If anyone needs a backup 1st Baseman, 1923 Lu Blue is available from my feeders. Decent hitter and fielder who can get on base, though not a guy who will ever hit a home run for you since he's from '23. If you have a mediocre relief pitcher in your feeders you can offer up, that'd be neat. (My bullpen options are hilariously bad, you see.)

UZworm fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 8, 2012

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Mornacale posted:

I could see a deal that includes McCovey, Berra, Alexander, or Hippo (not necessarily a 2-for-1 of course). Make me an offer if you dare.

I was thinking Ozzie Smith and the #56 pick for Yount.

I don't really want to trade Vaughn, Alexander, McCovey, or Berra.

e: I could add in a bench player also, but I'm really attached to my starting lineup right now.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
let us all give thanks for Brian Downing

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, so, for those of you who weren't in the channel, this happened:

Meaning that the Gumshoes have taken the Woodchucks place in Super-League VIII, as per a deal I made with Bruzer.

So, Archie Goodwin, your team lives! And, I'm going to do something nice for it since it just saved my rear end, the details of which will be forthcoming.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Bruiser.

This is an intervention.

STOP MAKING STUPID loving CHALLENGES AND LET YOUR TEAM COMPETE ON ITS OWN loving MERITS

edit: credit to Armitage for the 3-minute paint.net job

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 8, 2012

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
MOTHERFUCKING AI MANAGER LETTING LIDGE THROW 38 PITCHES WHAT THE gently caress?!

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Meaning that the Gumshoes have taken the Woodchucks place in Super-League VIII, as per a deal I made with Bruzer.

So, Archie Goodwin, your team lives! And, I'm going to do something nice for it since it just saved my rear end, the details of which will be forthcoming.

Let him have someone from the Macho Men

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Grinnblade posted:

Bruiser.

This is an intervention.

STOP MAKING STUPID loving CHALLENGES AND LET YOUR TEAM COMPETE ON ITS OWN loving MERITS

edit: credit to Armitage for the 3-minute paint.net job

I WAS ONE RUN AWAY FROM INSTITUTING A REIGN OF TERROR WITH MY MONSTROUS WOODCHUCKS!

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

BrooklynBruiser posted:

MONSTROUS WOODCHUCKS!

Well I know what I'm naming my next team now

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

jesus christ what is wrong with you, Bruiser

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I WAS ONE RUN AWAY FROM INSTITUTING A REIGN OF TERROR WITH MY MONSTROUS WOODCHUCKS!

STOP MAKING CHALLENGES

STOP MAKING CHALLENGES

STOP MAKING CHALLENGES

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if everybody in yankeesfans.gif cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something wonderful has happened."

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

What was the point and terms of the challenge? I mean, it's completely hilarious that it happened the way it did, but I'd like some context.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

BearDrivingTruck posted:

What was the point and terms of the challenge? I mean, it's completely hilarious that it happened the way it did, but I'd like some context.

quote:

Best of 5 series. Two players of my choice from the Gumshoes, two players of my choice from the cadre of players that ever played for me, vs. instant relegation with the Gumshoes to take my place. Deal?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
So basically he would have been an invincible juggernaut had he won, but...

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Dare you seek the wonders within...:spooky: THE MYSTERY BOX? :spooky:

Current winning bid: one first-round SuperDraft pick.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 8, 2012

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

CraigK posted:

So basically he would have been an invincible juggernaut had he won, but...

It would have basically killed the league, because everyone else would have felt obligated to make similar bets or fall hopelessly behind. The new season would have been delayed indefinitely, it would have created a huge pile of extra work for Smasher, and a lot of folks would have been seriously annoyed/demoralized. So Barry Larkin and Brian Downing essentially saved the Super League itself.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Mystery Box player better be a custom made version of Mark Bellhorn who does nothing but hit dingers until the end of time.

Or Nick Punto.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
I'd totally throw you my 1st round pick as I've been stuck at the back of the draft for the last 3 seasons, but then I'd open it and get this:

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN

CraigK posted:

I'll think about it but I really don't like how that season was one of the worst of his "peak". If it was a '50 or '52 I'd like it a lot more but as is he looks like bench material, even with my ugly OF.

How about Richie Ashburn in Ennis' place.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Shadow gamer posted:

How about Richie Ashburn in Ennis' place.

That's a lot more tempting. I'll think about it.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Ah, 'tis quite the tale!

As you may know, though perhaps are lucky enough not to, I had recently won a bet over Bruzer, and was due to take one of the players from his roster.

But Bruzer being Bruzer, he kept bugging me about showing him mercy, or giving him a chance to win the picks back and, well, I smelled blood in the water, so I challenged him to a series with a recently relegated team. I, recklessly, allowed Bruzer to name the terms in exchange for getting to choose his opponent. Bruzer demanded a bevy of players, enough to make his team a juggernaut that likely last for many season in the Super-League.

This, obviously, was a catastrophe waiting to happen, and so I turned to the only man hard-boiled enough to save the Super-League: Detective Don Slaught and the Lombard St. Gumshoes.

And the Gumshoes prompt went down 2-1 in the best-of-five series, but they battled back and, in the decisive Game 5, the Gumshoes mounted a huge comeback that ended with Brian Downing hitting a series-winning home run to kill the Woodchucks and save the Super-League from my mistakes. I thank them heartily for that.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
The one. The only. :spooky: THE MYSTERY BOX :spooky:

Current winning bid: one first-round SuperDraft pick + one supplemental round Dispersal Draft pick

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Double-posting so as not to sully the sanctity of the Box, some reminders after all the excitement:

1) I'm still looking to move '82 Yount for a defensive upgrade at SS. If you've got Ripken, Ozzie, A-Rod, Honus, or some other dude, talk to me. Willing to add pieces or receive a package myself, depending on the player.

2) I'm also still looking to grab one of the next few draft picks, or any SuperDraft first-rounders.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Smasher, please please please write an obituary for the Woodchucks.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

BearDrivingTruck posted:

What could I say that this picture doesn't?

Anyway, I'll think about it. Now go and make your pick.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I move that Bruiser be forced to write his own obituary, and those of any future teams destroyed by betting or other strange behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

This thread is really hopping and the season hasn't even started.