Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BlackMK4 posted:

Not really a crash but this happened last weekend and I managed to have the GoPro running; there is absolutely zero damage other than scratches on the frame slider and rear spool. Derp. loving. Derp. :v: Oh well, first drop on the new bike out of the way. :lol:
https://vimeo.com/55007624

Permission denied!

e: well that's an annoying place for a page break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oops. Fixed.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Man, I have nothing to say about your everyone's-done-it "drop," but I *am* jealous of your bike-righting skills (or muscle). The two times I've had to stand my bike up were a huff and wheeze spectacular. And it's a lightish 250.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

prukinski posted:

Man, I have nothing to say about your everyone's-done-it "drop," but I *am* jealous of your bike-righting skills (or muscle). The two times I've had to stand my bike up were a huff and wheeze spectacular. And it's a lightish 250.

I dropped my Shadow 1100 once going around a turn at about 3 mph and tried to wrestle it up, fortunately a guy driving a car stopped and helped me get it up. After that, this video was posted and I watched it. Haven't had to try it yet, fortunately, but it seems to be easier than the way I was trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPjYweKeiLk

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What even happened....?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I dropped my Harley Nightster 1200 once, and I was so mad at myself that I just Hulk-strengthed the thing back upright.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I just grabbed my handlebar and lifted, is there any reason not to just do this?

Edit: If you can of course, this was only a 430lb bike.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Bondematt posted:

I just grabbed my handlebar and lifted, is there any reason not to just do this?

Edit: If you can of course, this was only a 430lb bike.

No, some people just dont have the strength the do it. Its not going to hurt anything to just drag her upright again.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

nsaP posted:

What even happened....?

Yeah, other than the bike tipping over, the video doesn't show anything.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

nsaP posted:

What even happened....?

Looks to me like a brainfart, went to take off and put his foot on the peg before he accelerated.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

ThatCguy posted:

Looks to me like a brainfart, went to take off and put his foot on the peg before he accelerated.

He wasn't even on the bike :confused:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

nsaP posted:

What even happened....?

I'm short - 5'7" and I tip toe this bike everywhere. Combine that with a slight hill andddd... it rolled backwards enough before I could grab the rear brake and I lost my balance.

front wing flexing posted:

He wasn't even on the bike :confused:
I was, just sitting upright.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm short - 5'7" and I tip toe this bike everywhere. Combine that with a slight hill andddd... it rolled backwards enough before I could grab the rear brake and I lost my balance.

I was, just sitting upright.

Oh poo poo. Wow. I'm much taller than you and I would never tip toe my bike without my hands on the bars because I don't have the coordination to do it. It never even crossed my mind that was how the fall happened.

I'm glad there's no damage to your bike, that's a lucky break.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

Yup fellow short guy, I've done the same a couple times. That or going to put a foot down and finding a pothole or low manhole cover. My big ugly frame sliders are well tested.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Oh, yes, that's the best. Especially with people watching.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hmm from the look of things lately, it's like the deer really don't like KTM bikes on the road. I'm glad you got out if that even better than me and got the satisfaction of making sure it doesn't get another chance at doing it again unlike my deer.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

BlackMK4 posted:

Not really a crash but this happened last weekend and I managed to have the GoPro running; there is absolutely zero damage other than scratches on the frame slider and rear spool. Derp. loving. Derp. :v: Oh well, first drop on the new bike out of the way. :lol:
https://vimeo.com/55007624

definitely more classy a pick-up than mootmoot with his own red D675

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

Where is moot? Probably dead :(

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Speaking of drops, I thought it was a good idea to see how the bike handles in slippery conditions... i.e. a few inches of snow. Turns out, it handles about as well as could be expected, and I did count on it dropping at some point - with a few inches of snow and grass underneath, no biggie, right?
Yeah, except you can't lift it in these conditions, as there is nothing for the tires to grip, and you end up pushing the thing across the field. After half an hour of digging, carrying pieces of wood out of the forest to fix the tires in one spot, I finally managed to get her back upright.

Now I'm tempted to buy knobby tires and try it again. No, I don't know what is wrong with me :v:

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

the walkin dude posted:

Oh God, another goon with a tornado red dt675? From Arizona even?
But how will I be a unique snowflake when you're the same? My life is a sham.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Where is moot? Probably dead :(
We found out that he wasn't just playing a douchebag on the forums but was a real life Count Douchebag. He ran away when the internet got too real.

I miss him.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

NipplesTheCat posted:

No no, over the pond. He's royalty though, so it's ok that he can't handle a gentle turn, or likes to put spikes on the fairing, for better pedestrian/peasant impaling.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495610

I forgot that he totalled the Daytona too...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

NipplesTheCat posted:

Wait, you have a 675 now instead of the R6? :lol:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I saw the aftermath of this today:

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2012/12/12/police-respond-to-possible-fatality-crash-in-north-berkeley

I thought it wasn't too bad, because the ambulance was already gone from the scene when I saw it and there wasn't much debris, but it turns out an SUV drove over the guy :sigh:

Apparently the ambulance drove away without any lights too. I wonder if the guy was wearing a helmet. RIP bike dude. :(

M42 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 13, 2012

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Thought a filter (protected left, for the Americans) was active. It wasn't. Managed to take a couple of inches of bumper off a taxi who was coming in the opposite direction with my licence-plate, just dodging a T-bone. Not a big deal, but it would have to be a loving Mercedes, not looking forward to my premium next year! All resolved amicably, it's a black taxi so the police had to be called otherwise the council gets pissy but it was a quick "everyone alright, you've exchanged details, lol 125 sucks" kind of exercise. Taxi driver kept going "Aye, mind Wootcannon, when you hit the side, do you remember hitting the side, that's cracked the hubcap there as well, remember because you hit the side remember" which makes me think that was preexisting, given it's a rather large jump from the bumper to the front wheel, but hey ho.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 5, 2013

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a shady taxi driver. Glad to hear you're ok.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

americanzero4128 posted:

Sounds like a shady taxi driver.

Perish the thought! :monocle:

Kungfootek
Sep 13, 2012
Rear Ended on my Vulcan.

December 10th, having just got off work half an hour early the Woman in front of me slammed on her brakes for someone making a left hand turn on a busy two lane road.

I was 2 car lengths back, hit the rear brakes and took the bike a little sideways before getting slow enough to put my leg down. About that time I heard tires screeching behind me and I got off my brakes a bit to ( hopefully ) avoid being hit. After that a precise description of events is unavailable. Things became clear again when I was sliding up underneath the car in front of me that had come to a complete stop. I was close enough to punch the car from the ground, and did so.

I was pinned beneath the bike, the heat from the muffler was beginning to make it's way through my boot and I could smell gas. People from the car in front and the gas station helped get the bike off me and limped me to the curb since my Leg would no longer bear any weight. I do have to say I am amazed at how fast the fire dept got there. By the time the shock starts wearing off they are asking if I want an ambulance. I sure as hell wasn't able to walk home, and I wasn't sure if the bike was ride able or not. I wasn't going to hang out in 40 Deg weather hoping my leg would heal itself.

The bike had somehow slapped both sides against the asphalt. Both sides of the tank were mashed and scraped and the right brake handle and the right side of the handle were destroyed. Riding it would mean I would have to use the rear brakes only, and downshift a lot. After going back, and taking photos of the marks I left on the street, I slid about 8 feet, but you see deep gouges about 4 to 6 feet prior to the scrapes. Front Turn signals were torn off, Rear ones damaged, pegs torn up. The photo's don't do much to show the extent of it.

The police ended up having the bike towed since the property owners weren't going to let it sit and I thought the Ins would pick up the tab anyways. Here's where it gets screwed up, and serves as an educational opportunity for everyone.

I told everyone I felt I was hit from behind, but the driver behind apparently never fessed up and nobody saw the accident until I started making noise on the asphalt. I had comprehensive insurance thinking that covered the accident in such a situation but apparently you need collision too. The bike still sits in Impound and I have no way to pay for it. I still have 2500 in Medical coverage from the accident but that's not going to pay to repair my knee. I can walk on it now, but have to be careful not to pop it or I will endure the same amount of pain as the first night.

Here's some takeaways:

1. Helmet Cam - Go Pro's cost $100 and are worth their weight in gold.
2. Don't Talk to the Ins. Co. alone if you're in pain and/or on meds for pain. Conference call with a friend taking notes. <-- Important!
3. Comprehensive does not mean Collision, and neither are offered with 'what the law requires'. Collision for my Bike would have cost another $7 Per Month.
4. Always be planning an escape route when in busy packed Traffic.
5. Pay attention to cars that make hard stops, and get the F* around them or find another course. That was the 3rd time that B* had done that and I should have known better.
6. Highway bars. Would have saved my leg, and prevented me from being pinned.
7. Helmet cam, because I would have my bike, my leg, and medical bills paid for if I F*ing had one.

Photo's are on the family website.
http://www.clanbaker.com/

I had a killer bruise on my hip too that spread into two directions up and down my thigh and went from my nuts to my butt. We got photos of that too, but will spare you the BVD shots. The smartphone was in my pocket on the side that went down and I had a smartphone sized bruise there, but no damage to the phone. a few marks on the edges and that's about it.

I was complimented on my gear keeping me in good shape. A nice pair of pants and a work shirt were slightly damaged, but no longer suitable for the office ( business casual ).

In all I am glad to be alive and at least able to hobble. It could have been worse.

Here's to healing enough, and finding a new ride in 2013.

Hope this helps someone else should they have the misfortune of posting here.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

That's awful! Sounds like you need to get a lawyer.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Sounds like the rear driver fled the scene, though. What can the lawyer do?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
No damage to the front of the car of the driver who rear ended you?

And this is one of those things where sometimes it's worthwhile to keep moving around the car that has come to an emergency stop...another reason I love legal lane splitting in CA.

I hope the healing process goes well.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

The swerve toward the line in the middle of the two lanes on a 4-way highway is my go to move. I'm usually just to the side of it anyway unless I'm passing people so quickly I don't think they know I'm coming and therefor might try to merge into me.

Glad you lived and are planning to keep riding though.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Had my first accident after 3.5 years of riding yesterday morning on my work commute, and my first day back on the bike after Christmas. Here's just a brief description of what happened.

Riding along a main road with lots of queued traffic in the oncoming lane and no traffic at all in front of me, barely any behind me. I have to slow down for a zebra crossing as I can't see the path to the right clearly because of said traffic. Nothings there so I carry on when I notice a car waiting at a Stop sign in a side street to my left, about 200-250ft away when I see him. As I get closer to within 75ft of the side street the car starts to pull out passed the stop sign and road markings. I can't see the right indicator blinking and the oncoming traffic is too heavy for him to enter, so he must be attempting to go left. I start braking with about 40ft to go, the roads are wet so I don't grab the brake. Just as I go to start applying the rear brake as well my front locks up and sends me down on my right side. Me and the bike slide straight down my lane luckily, and not into the oncoming traffic. Bike goes passed his front bumper and comes to a stop about 20ft or so passed the side street. I end up sat in the middle of my lane in front of the car that was pulling out. I think I'd managed to bleed at least some speed off from 30mph before going down as I didn't actually slide too far, and the bike didn't seem to get too damaged.

Once I check I'm ok and get out of the road I ask the guy if he even saw me coming, says he did, but was still pulling out from the stop sign in the side road. I was a little flabbergasted at the time to say the least. Sadly I didn't get any witnesses, as no one in the oncoming traffic stopped at all, there were no injuries or collisions so the police weren't called. There was an old guy that checked I was ok, then disappeared just as quickly as he appeared.

Luckily I got away with just a few bruises, and having my confidence shattered. If I'd have slid 5ft to my right I would have been under someone's wheels, 5ft to the left and I'd have hit the car pulling out. Went to the hospital later in the day to get checked out, other than the bruises everything was fine, no concussion, neck injuries or broken bones. I had my full wet weather commuting gear on as I always do and it survived without even a scuff. My visor and boots are a little scraped up but other than that my gear did its job well. Helmet will need replacing as I can't be sure that it didn't take a bang. Managed to ride the bike (slowly!) the 5 minutes back home while he followed me, lots of plastics damaged, a ruined exhaust end cap and a slightly tweaked front wheel. Details exchanged, insurance notified etc. Now I just have to wait and see what happens.

The weirdest thing between the "poo poo! I'm going down!" moment and sliding down the road was worrying about breaking the laptop that was in my bag, and hearing nothing but the sound of scraping plastic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pinny posted:

Details exchanged, insurance notified etc. Now I just have to wait and see what happens.

Nothing will happen. You didn't hit each other, and all damage caused will be seen as a single vehicle accident, since you "tipped over on your own" or somesuch language.

Depending on rules and regulations, the other guy can't own up and take responsibility, even if he wanted to.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Riding buddy crashed on weekend on one of our local twisty roads. Found out yesterday he's paralyzed from chest down. This really loving sucks.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Jesus, how bad was the crash?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Shimrod posted:

Jesus, how bad was the crash?

He's the ATGATT guy that always wears one piece leathers, has many many years of riding experience and rode a lot of track in A group. He was riding on a road which has the reputation of being fairly difficult around here. He went down in a corner, I dont know whether it was a high side or low side, hit a tree then the bike hit him. He's lucky to even be alive, but unfortunately it severed his spinal cord pretty cleanly and collapsed his lungs and generally messed his body up.

Seeing him in the hospital today was pretty rough but our riding community here is really coming together to support him and his family, it was really good to see about a dozen people waiting to go see him one or two at a time, and its been like this all week. I can't imagine how difficult the future will be for him dealing with this now, but he's a really strong willed person and if anyone is going to be able to cope with it positively it would be him.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, the one thing gear can't protect against is serious spine stuff like that. That's such a shame. I hope he deals with it well, and I'm glad he has support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
:siren: Content! :siren:

Well, I've dropped the R1 after less than a week. low speed, pulling out of a car park with what turned out to be too much throttle. Total damage is a small scuff on the right fairing, the crash bung and a really small one on the exhaust. No damage on me to speak of, a tiny friction burn on my kneecap.

Riding the KTM for four years has given me some bad habits it seems. I pull out like this on the KTM all day and never get any more than a wiggle on the back. Hadn't anticipated how easily the R1 would just spin the rear like that. The road was a bit oily, and the tires have seen a track day and a couple of years, so those might be factors but at the end of the day I was entirely at fault putting too much throttle on.

• Locked thread