Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've had the opposite, where the gamepad turns off the system but not itself, and thinks it just desynced. Had that happen a couple of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ciaphas posted:

Also my parents gave me Nintendoland for my birthday, yaaay :3:

What loving sadist at Nintendo came up with Crash Course

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like to think the games were designed by the characters you dress as. Donkey kong himself built that cart. Captain Falcon put all those mines on the track. Balloon Fitzgerald hired those ducks.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Anyone interested in trying some Trine 2 co-op?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

greatn posted:

I like to think the games were designed by the characters you dress as. Donkey kong himself built that cart. Captain Falcon put all those mines on the track. Balloon Fitzgerald hired those ducks.

I prefer to think that the attractions were built by committees that weren't necessarily familiar with the franchises they were based on (fictional committees within the game, not the actual real-life game designers of course). Like, there's a triforce in every level of the Zelda attraction because some market researcher thought it would make the park guests feel more heroic, and there's an "evil overlord" in the Pikmin attraction because some Julie Taymor visionary type decided the actual story/setting of Pikmin wasn't good enough. It's like a metacommentary on tie-in media!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

The Pikmin game is really fun and I'm glad there are like 20 levels of it. Nintendoland has a stupid amount of content for what is basically a minigame collection. I love filling the plaza up with prizes too, it's starting to remind me of Banjoland from Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The little coin game starts getting ridiculous though.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

The little coin game starts getting ridiculous though.

I wish it did something like giving you the option to play the game or pay some extra amount of coins to buy a gift. That way you could theoretically win a prize for 10 coins, or you could pay 30 right now instead.

I love Plinko as much as the next guy, but enough is enough. :D

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So, I just got a Wii U and I can't get it to work. I know I'm probably just doing something stupid so maybe somebody can help. I turn it on and supposedly I need to sync the gamepad but I can't do it. I hit the sync button on the console and the gamepad but the TV screen just has Wii U logo. It's supposed to have character to enter on the gamepad but it just sits there with the Wii U logo. Any suggestions?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Deadpool posted:

So, I just got a Wii U and I can't get it to work. I know I'm probably just doing something stupid so maybe somebody can help. I turn it on and supposedly I need to sync the gamepad but I can't do it. I hit the sync button on the console and the gamepad but the TV screen just has Wii U logo. It's supposed to have character to enter on the gamepad but it just sits there with the Wii U logo. Any suggestions?

It's broken, get a new one. My first one did this too, exchanged it the next morning and the new one worked right.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
I've been playing Skyward Sword on the WiiU recently, and was wondering, is it just my TV, or does the WiiU just make Wii games look terrible? Text in the game looks awful, weird letter boxing with a green outline on the edge of the screen, and picture just looks incredibly grainy. I remember the game looking fine playing on the Wii, so does WiiU just stretch the image like crazy?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Your Wii sent a 480p signal to your TV, and your TV would probably do a little post-processing to scale up and smooth out that image. The Wii U, on the other hand, scales the image up to 1080p without post-processing, and your TV displays that image as is. For many folks, this will mean assy-looking jagged edges.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Even the Wii Menu on the Wii U looks worse than before.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Weird. I thought Skyward Sword looked slightly better on the Wii U.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Gah, just had my first hard lockup. I could actually turn the Gamepad on and off independent of the system - had to unplug to reset. Happened when accessing the Mii Creator thing. Does it use any type of online access for that though? Because I think my lovely router may be to blame.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
You think it's a bit late to make a Nintendo Land thread? I was thinking about making one.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Not at all. With the holidays we're getting into prime Nintendoland playing time. I'm picking it up myself this week.

Ztrapper
Jan 8, 2011

Deadpool posted:

Same thing happened to me the first time i tried to use my system. A reset fixed it (had to unplug the power cord to reset the machine), and it works perfectly since.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Three really dumb questions, I apologize if I'm retarded and missed this somewhere in the thread.

1)I bought the deluxe Wii U bundle. Do I need to do anything special to activate the 10% off thing, when I buy games in the eShop?

2)If I buy a Wii Points card at a store, can I use that in the Wii U store? And if I can, will I get the 10% point return?

3)All I need to play Xenoblade is a Classic controller, correct?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vertigo posted:

Three really dumb questions, I apologize if I'm retarded and missed this somewhere in the thread.

1)I bought the deluxe Wii U bundle. Do I need to do anything special to activate the 10% off thing, when I buy games in the eShop?

2)If I buy a Wii Points card at a store, can I use that in the Wii U store? And if I can, will I get the 10% point return?

3)All I need to play Xenoblade is a Classic controller, correct?

I can answer 2 and 3 (I'd also like to know the answer to No.1)

2) It's a rebate. You spend full price, then get 10% refunded back to your account.

3) Yes. You dont need a Classic Controller, but it plays a lot better with one.

Ztrapper
Jan 8, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And don't forget - to use a Classic Controller you need to have a regular (or motion plus) Wii Remote too, as it's connects through it.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

No no, I understand it's a rebate. I knew I worded that wrong.

Will Wii Point Cards work in the Wii U shop? Is probably how I should have worded that 2nd one.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

You use the same card to get points on the Wii Shop, DSi Shop, 3DS eShop and Wii U eShop. But the different stores don't share a balance, so you use all the points in only one the shop you apply the card to.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I'd like to note that I'll be continually updating the FAQ to reflect common questions.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Veotax posted:

You use the same card to get points on the Wii Shop, DSi Shop, 3DS eShop and Wii U eShop. But the different stores don't share a balance, so you use all the points in only one the shop you apply the card to.

I don't think that's right, I'm pretty sure you can't use Wii Shop Point prepaid cards on the eShop, you need to get a eShop prepaid card.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I don't think that's right, I'm pretty sure you can't use Wii Shop Point prepaid cards on the eShop, you need to get a eShop prepaid card.

The original Wii Points cards wouldn't have been compatible, but they have been phased out. The new ones work on everything.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can answer 2 and 3 (I'd also like to know the answer to No.1)

I just checked and you can sign up for it now:

https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/login.do

It'll only work if you've already purchased something. So I just went on the shop and bought NSMB but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to sign up apparently.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
One thing about the OP, I think it might be worth stressing that you need Nintendo to physically transfer your account for you in most cases. I guess that's a more common thing in the US, but from my experience in the UK & Ireland most people would return broken systems where they bought it for a replacement and not involve the manufacturer at all. As Nintendo are the only major outfit still using such an odd method it might catch people out.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Vertigo posted:

Nope it kicks in automagically. You don't have to do a thing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ive never used a Classic with Xenoblade and had no issues with the controls at all. Not saying that the Classic couldnt possibly be better, but just saying that if you cant get ahold of one you wont exactly be upset or anything.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Okay I have a question for anyone who's already done the Wii system transfer. I want to take advantage of Gamestop's Wii trade-in promo*, so do I absolutely need both systems for the transfer to work? Can I transfer all my stuff to SD, then immediately go trade the Wii, buy the Wii U and transfer it? Or do I literally have to have both systems present and online?

*Currently working a seasonal position at Gamestop, so the trade-in deal, plus the PowerUp discount, plus my employee discount would make my Wii way more valuable than it would be anywhere else.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Rake Arms posted:

Okay I have a question for anyone who's already done the Wii system transfer. I want to take advantage of Gamestop's Wii trade-in promo*, so do I absolutely need both systems for the transfer to work? Can I transfer all my stuff to SD, then immediately go trade the Wii, buy the Wii U and transfer it? Or do I literally have to have both systems present and online?

*Currently working a seasonal position at Gamestop, so the trade-in deal, plus the PowerUp discount, plus my employee discount would make my Wii way more valuable than it would be anywhere else.

Yes, you need both in the same room.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Remember how Virgil Games said that Darksiders 2 would take full advantage of the Wii U hardware and almost being the best of the three console versions? Well, Eurogamer's Digital Foundry has analysed the game and come to a resounding "not quite"

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Gutcruncher posted:

Yes, you need both in the same room.

Well gently caress. Maybe my boss would be cool enough to let me do the system transfer in the back room while I'm off the clock.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Well I decided I'd really like the Deluxe Wii U and my sister just got one for her family, but would prefer the white one to match her original Wii :stare: I am also giving her $50 so it's a good trade.

Is there any way that I can deactivate my Wii U so that I can use my Nintendo IDs on this new system instead? I know it's normally possible if Nintendo had to swap out your system for a repair or whatever but how would a regular Joe like me do it?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Well I decided I'd really like the Deluxe Wii U and my sister just got one for her family, but would prefer the white one to match her original Wii :stare: I am also giving her $50 so it's a good trade.

Is there any way that I can deactivate my Wii U so that I can use my Nintendo IDs on this new system instead? I know it's normally possible if Nintendo had to swap out your system for a repair or whatever but how would a regular Joe like me do it?

Nope, not yet. It's dumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gutcruncher posted:

It's broken, get a new one. My first one did this too, exchanged it the next morning and the new one worked right.

Yeah, I tried messing around with it for another hour or so and after several resets it still wouldn't go past the initial Wii U logo screen. So I boxed it back up and took it back to the store. The replacement worked fine immediately. Now I'm doing the huge rear end update. Oh well, a little delayed but at least it's working now.

Also I bought New Super Mario Bros U from Amazon and I tried entering the code in the box on Club Nintendo but it said it wasn't eligible for points/coins/whatever. Then it directed me to a list of what's eligible, and it's right there on the list. So now I have the game registered but I didn't get any credit for it. What's up with that?

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 9, 2012

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Club Nintendo's having trouble right now, someone just posted the same problem in the 3DS thread.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Club Nintendo's having trouble right now, someone just posted the same problem in the 3DS thread.

OK, glad to know I'm not the only one. I guess I'll hold off on doing my other games until whatever is fixed. I sent them an email, I guess I'll wait until I hear back from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
SCE president Shu Yoshida bought one, went on Miiverse and posted this.
(This is no joke, he tweeted it.)

Hilariously, the mods made his profile comment unviewable.

• Locked thread