Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if I could ever justify spending 150 bucks on what amounts to an up and down button. Or 500 dollars on a shifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I imagine it's almost worth it, but that's reaching the hardcore sim racing niche. If I were still playing iRacing, and at a very competitive level at that, I would do it.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, but pedal position isn't defining the brake input. Once the foam spring's been squashed (or whatever you replaced it with), the pedal's at a fix position, like a hydraulic stop (pads in contact with the discs) and only the pressure on the loadcell counts.

Yeah that's correct. There's still a spring there to provide resistance though on all generations of the Club sports. The load cell doesn't provide any resistance itself.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I wish there was more of a middle ground for shifters. It seems like it would be fun to have a 6+1 stick shift deal but I skipped out on it when I bought my CSR wheel because from what I saw in the reviews it didn't look like it felt anything like an actual stick shift and I had no need for the sequential shifter that went with it. And the only thing up from there are apparently low-run hobbyist devices that go for way over $100.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

I said come in! posted:

I imagine it's almost worth it, but that's reaching the hardcore sim racing niche. If I were still playing iRacing, and at a very competitive level at that, I would do it.

It's not even anything to do with competitive level. It's just a lot more fun to be slamming down through the gears on a sequential shifter on heavy braking :) I used to use the G25 shifter in sequential mode and that wasnt even remotely fun to use. It was a flimsy piece of crap, but something like a Frex, its just a satisfying physical thing to use.

I would imagine the competitive sim racers are using whatever is the easiest/least effort shifting mechanism. No point making extra work for yourself when you could map paddle shifters to everything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CactusWeasle posted:

It's not even anything to do with competitive level. It's just a lot more fun to be slamming down through the gears on a sequential shifter on heavy braking :) I used to use the G25 shifter in sequential mode and that wasnt even remotely fun to use. It was a flimsy piece of crap, but something like a Frex, its just a satisfying physical thing to use.

I would imagine the competitive sim racers are using whatever is the easiest/least effort shifting mechanism. No point making extra work for yourself when you could map paddle shifters to everything.

That's a great way to look at it actually. :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm just hoping that the new shifter Fanatec is coming out with is good. It looks crazy, and it looks really tall. Who knows.

The only picture they have on their site from what I can tell is on the new clubsport seat page. http://us.fanatec.com/Stand?product_id=555

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Some off cam footage of gameplay from Assetto Corsa that I thought looked really impressive; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoDa-tiQ6iE

I like how realistic it looks with the grass getting torn up as the cars go through it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6STDdTQREA

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I have never seen FWDs look as realistic as that, good job!

Can't wait to make videos for it!

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Leadcar50 posted:

So I am putting together a build list and need some help. Here is what I got from you all so far:
Good wheel – G25, G27, DFGT
Shifter – Frex Shift+, Clubsport Shifter
Pedals – Franatec Clubsport Pedal, CSR

So what about the computer and specifications? Audio or Graphic Card? Screen setup? Audio equipment? What am I not thinking of?

How would you design a new system if you ran into some extra cash? Or what is on your wish list? I am not a IT guy so please keep it simple as I want to race, not spend hours working on poo poo.

I still am unclear about the actual software/system. If you sign up for iRacing for example, do you need a program or software or is this included with the purchase? From everything that has been said up to now on this thread, I guess I am leaning toward iRacing or maybe RF2 (beta version). Again, I want something simple that I can start racing on immediately and wouldn’t mind paying a little more as my time is limited somewhat and I hate coming home and working on my computer after sitting in front of one all day. The thought of constantly updating and doing patches to make everything work makes me want to stick a fork in my eye!

Anyway, sorry for being so long winded but I am excited about this new hobby.

I have never had the opportunity to use a simulator system like you described, although I would of course love to some day. But being budget concious, it is obviously way out of my league for the time being.

To try to answer some of your questions, I would at the very lease want to have a decent 3 monitor setup. You don't need to get 3 40" HDMI tv monitors, although a number of people do that. If you can find 3 21" or larger monitors of same size and type, I would go with that.

You are going to want to get a machine that can take 2 Nvidia graphics cards, nearly any of the cards they have made in the last 2 years will do. You can do 3 monitors with Software solutions using 1 card rather than 2, but from what I understand it causes a bit of a performance hit.

For the Computer itself, You will want a 64 bit Windows OS running on a machine with 6-8 GB of RAM, Any intel processor from core4 or later will be fine.

I can really only speak for Iracing, as that is basically the only software/service I have used. I have been a member for a little over a year, and I have to say that it is honestly one of the best things I have ever signed up for. The range of cars available, the number of tracks, and the absolutely constant updating of the service with new features, better physics on the cars, graphics updates, new cars and new tracks keeps me coming back again and again.

I have seen a number of posts from various forums from fans of RF2 or whatever dissing on some of the car physics in Iracing. Having never driven a real race car of any kind myself I cannot really comment on it, however I do know this: The Skip Barber Formula 2000 car is in the iRacing service, and is one of the most popular road racing series, among others. One of the drivers who posts on the forums all the time is a verified winner of 7 Skip Barber races, with 27 starts, and I think came in second in the Skip Barber championships a couple years ago, and he said that using a Logitech G-27 wheel and pedals that it was more like driving the real car than any other game/simulation he had ever played. He said it felt right on, so I'll take his word for it. It's good enough for me.

The Array of cars is wide, and they add about 2 cars a year at the present rate, with a slew of new ones coming down the pipe for the next couple years. They Just signed contracts to Laser scan 5 of the tracks in Britain used in the BTTC series, and since they already have Oran Park and Oulton Park, Silverstone and others, with these 5 new ones they are going to add 2 of the cars from this years BTCC and do a full series of that. They have AMLS multiclass racing, 4 Open wheel series (soon to be 5 with the coming addition of the Lotus 49), Skip Barber, Star Mazda, The Lotus 79, and Grand Prix racing with the Toyota-Williams F1 car from a couple seasons ago. Australian v8 Supercars, Mazda MX-5's, Pontiac Solstices, VW Jetta, Ford Mustang, the Corvette CR-6, the Ford GT, 2 different types of LM Prototypes. The new McLaren is dropping on Dec 18 and looks to be very good. If yo are into road racing they almost certainly have something to please you with.

If you are into the Oval side of things, which I never was until I got into Iracing, there is everything you could want. Sprint Cup, Nationwide, Camping World trucks, Arca, tour and sk modified, sprint cars. Short track to super-speedway, they have it all.

Now that with this last build they finished the full conversion over to the 64-bit client, they can really start adding to some other aspects. The sound is fine but a bit lacking. Lacks a bit of oomph, but certainly isn't bad. Graphics are really pretty fantastic, and they are constantly upgrading tracks with better shaders and whatnot as the technology comes out to improve older tracks in the service.

But the number 1 reason I really really like it is the fact that I can sit down nearly any time of day and find a populated race to take part in. And since every official race (non hosted) is counted towards that seasons championship, it is incredibly easy to compare yourself to other drivers of your ability and class.
Some series are a little more niche than others. For example, the Classic Lotus 79 series only has official races every other day, maybe 2 or 3 per day that it runs. But other series, like Star Mazda, LMS, Skip Barber, run races every 2 hours all day long 7 days a week. Rookie races happen every hour on the hour.

Yes, it is expensive. But as omeone pointed out, if you are looking at this as a game, it is too expensive. But as a hobby, the way I do, it is super value for your money. The fact that new cars are usually 11 bucks and new tracks 15 is offset over time by the crazy good deals they offer to re-up your membership. I just resigned for a year for the price of 3 months. Thats a savings of close to 140 bucks. Can't really beat that.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Leadcar50
Dec 8, 2012
I really appreciate everyone's input and I am in the process of researching everything and hope to start purchasing stuff soon. I'm still trying to remember all the different names of everything but have put a huge list together and am definitely closer that I was a week ago. I think I am going to try a cheaper route than I originally planned as I know there will be mistakes (I'm worried most about the cockpit/chassis) and after I get this setup finished and get some racing in, I can improve on the piece's that need it. Maybe just start all over.

From what I can tell, it looks like Frex Shift + is the same shifter that my buddy has on his Virtual GT. It is a great shifter, solid, and just feels right. I can't wait to visit him again and see what else he has that is familiar since my "education". I am starting to wonder if the Virtual GT can be put together for a 1/4 or what they are asking for???

About the frex website though... it doesn't make me feel very safe. The prices are not even in US$. How do you know how much you are paying? Am I missing something, are there no US business's selling Frex stuff? Can anybody tell me how their purchase went?

Last, does anyone have a really nice cockpit/chassis under $1,000 that is solid and not just a flimsy piece of aluminum that will bend or break when I rip through the gears or pull myself out of the seat with the steering wheel? There are some nice looking ones for $500 (GTR/GTS-F or GT Omega) but I just wonder if they just look cool and are for little kids.

Thanks again!!!

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I agree with everything Billy the Mountain said. Just a note on the graphics cards: you can run 3 monitors with a single nVidia card now. I have a GTX 660 Ti, and it has four outputs (2xDVI, 1xHDMI, and 1xDisplayPort). I usually have all four plugged in (fourth is for a TV); I'm not sure if it can drive all 4 at once but it can definitely do 3. You can easily get an HDMI->DVI adapter if you want to use 3xDVI monitors.

I had to downgrade to my old GTX 460 to do an RMA on my current card, and in the meantime I used SoftTH, which is a software solution for triple monitors, and it worked fine. The GTX 460 only supports two outputs at a time (although it has three connectors), so I plugged the third monitor into the motherboard graphics. SoftTH does all the rendering on the main graphics card and just sends the frames over to whatever the output is, so it's not limited by the speed of the secondary GPU. I had no problems with this setup and didn't even need to lower my graphics settings (I'm not sure if I have them maxed, but pretty close at least). In fact, I'm continuing to use it even now that I have my newer card back, because it handles the motley collection of old monitors I'm using somewhat better (a mix of 1920x1080, 1920x1200, and 1680x1050).

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Ferrari Legends was snuck out on steam and I downloaded it because I was interested (And racing old Ferrari F1 cars is cool as gently caress). Problem is, the PC port is straight garbage which crashes a lot. Can't even get into a lot of career mode races because the game will just crash on loading. You have to exit and re-enter the game to change graphics settings and the options are pretty bad.

The game is good, but the PC port is just garbage and it's amazing it made it out in that state. Hopefully SMS can fix it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't experienced any crashes, but to be honest you aren't missing anything; this game has the same driving model as Shift 2 Unleashed, but manages to be really boring.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

I said come in! posted:

I haven't experienced any crashes, but to be honest you aren't missing anything; this game has the same driving model as Shift 2 Unleashed, but manages to be really boring.

It crashes for me going into career mode events most of the time. So not sure whats going on there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

New Assetto Corsa screenshots.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I had a weird dream last night that Assetto Corsa came out in some form and I was sitting at home playing it.

No I didn't :350: at all so I have no idea why I dreamed it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am starting to have dreams about this sim too. I really want to play it.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

You should play netkar-Pro if you haven't already. It'll give you an idea of what kind of physics you'll be expecting (very good).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't get NetKar-Pro to work right with my wheel. Hopefully since AC is brand new, it should work just fine. I have heard nothing but great things about NetKar-Pro though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Assetto Corsa is delayed which is no surprise there, but on the plus side it now has Ferrari.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It has the 458, so I guess I'll be getting an AC license... somewhen this century, whenever that is.

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

Race '07 is 89 cents on Steam right now. All the DLC is on sale as well - I know the game is pretty old, but less than a buck isn't even real money at this point. At least I have an excuse to bust out my Logitech Momo wheel again.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.

Vulpine Complex posted:

Race '07 is 89 cents on Steam right now. All the DLC is on sale as well - I know the game is pretty old, but less than a buck isn't even real money at this point. At least I have an excuse to bust out my Logitech Momo wheel again.

Yeah, I was going to ask about this. I play stuff like Gran Turismo, Dirt and NFS:Speed. Is any of this SimBin stuff worth checking out, or is it "do not buy" like the OP indicates?

There's a million games and DLC from these guys, so it's confusing as gently caress. There's a bundle on Steam right now for around $20:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18370/?snr=1_5_9__403

Do I want any of this stuff, or is it too old at this point? There's also some DLC for Race 07 that's not included in that bundle, which I'm guessing is the newer stuff. I'm not looking for hard-core online competition, just another "semi-realistic" racer to add to my rotation.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Local Resident posted:

Yeah, I was going to ask about this. I play stuff like Gran Turismo, Dirt and NFS:Speed. Is any of this SimBin stuff worth checking out, or is it "do not buy" like the OP indicates?

There's a million games and DLC from these guys, so it's confusing as gently caress. There's a bundle on Steam right now for around $20:

Do I want any of this stuff, or is it too old at this point? There's also some DLC for Race 07 that's not included in that bundle, which I'm guessing is the newer stuff. I'm not looking for hard-core online competition, just another "semi-realistic" racer to add to my rotation.
The SimBin stuff isn't bad, the games all look decent enough if you have the specs and turn everything up to max. Which really at this point most computers should be able to do.

Some of the 'Games' are really just glorified mods for the ISI engine which has been around for ages and you either really like the way the game feels and deals with handling, or you're not so impressed about it.

Really though for $20 it's a pretty goddamned good deal and if you just want some racing to boot up and go around go for it. Be warned though if you want to do online racing I don't think much of a community exists.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Local Resident posted:

I've heard the RACE games are pretty whack. Honestly I'd just get GT Legends and GTR 2.

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 27, 2012

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Trouble is the GTR2 on Steam is badly cut, missing all the Ferraris.

Race 07 is pretty good as a drive. It's horrible as a racer.

bend it like baked ham
Feb 16, 2009

Fries.
Thanks for the input about the SimBin games. I think I'll skip the mega-pack with all the DLC and just pick up one or two of the base games.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I gave iRacing a try on the free Cadillac demo, I don't know if it's just certain cars but the physics feel really screwy a lot of times. I had a blast racing the Miata and Solstice, but then I gave the CTS-V race car and Skip Barber formula thing (that I drunk purchased for some reason) a try and they both feel like I'm driving an overpowered FWD car or something, like extremely loose while coasting and then stabilize when I step on the gas. Are all of the faster cars like that? I don't know if I'm just driving the game wrong but it's disappointing that the fast cars drive so weird.

Also the oval races are hilarious, it's like some kind of stock car thunderdome. I couldn't stop laughing at some of the replays of people running off the track then doing donuts trying to get back on and taking out packs of cars, I've never seen anything like it even playing Forza where there are intentional wrecks all the time.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I gave iRacing a try on the free Cadillac demo, I don't know if it's just certain cars but the physics feel really screwy a lot of times. I had a blast racing the Miata and Solstice, but then I gave the CTS-V race car and Skip Barber formula thing (that I drunk purchased for some reason) a try and they both feel like I'm driving an overpowered FWD car or something, like extremely loose while coasting and then stabilize when I step on the gas. Are all of the faster cars like that? I don't know if I'm just driving the game wrong but it's disappointing that the fast cars drive so weird.

Also the oval races are hilarious, it's like some kind of stock car thunderdome. I couldn't stop laughing at some of the replays of people running off the track then doing donuts trying to get back on and taking out packs of cars, I've never seen anything like it even playing Forza where there are intentional wrecks all the time.

The skip barber car isn't so much a fast car, as it is a learning tool that forces you into proper driving habits (or spins you the gently caress out). The CTS-V takes a lot of throttle discipline as well, feels really erratic if you're braking hard, and is very easy to crash. Rumor has it the new Mclaren car is a much more "beginner friendly" faster car (anti lock brakes), but I haven't bought it yet. Come chill in the iRacing thread if you want to talk more iRacing specifics.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Dudley posted:

Trouble is the GTR2 on Steam is badly cut, missing all the Ferraris.

I know this is a few days old, but this is easily fixable by running the 1.1 patch and adding a No-Cd. Both are on NoGrip.

(Hope this isn't seen as :filez: - we are talking about the Steam version after all)

pvax fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 5, 2013

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

To be fair, I've driven some reasonably fast karts and that's exactly how they behave. That said I can't drive the CTS-V at all.

quote:

Well this is where the licence system helps out, they don't tend to get past rookie.

boondocksts
Sep 28, 2004
the blazing s4
Does anyone use a fanatec wheel with iRacing? On certain cars, the force feedback stops working, but its fine in other cars, any ideas?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Dudley posted:

Well this is where the licence system helps out, they don't tend to get past rookie.

It's definitely better past rookie, but it's not that hard to get up licenses so they're lurking around.

Back when I raced the Ford GT in the Proto/GT it would usually be a single split. Most of the HPDs would be fine, but there were also quality drivers like these.

http://youtu.be/-h9QLstSzpA

If you were lucky, they would crash out early.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

boondocksts posted:

Does anyone use a fanatec wheel with iRacing? On certain cars, the force feedback stops working, but its fine in other cars, any ideas?

First step would probably be updating your Fanatec drivers on your PC, and the firmware on the wheel itself. Take a look here: http://www.911wheel.de/

boondocksts
Sep 28, 2004
the blazing s4
I tracked down the latest updates and put that on before i had iRacing set up, but knowing fanatec that may have caused the problem. Plus I've got a Porsche turbo S wheel, which has no support anymore. I'll mess with the settings in game and see if I can figure anything out.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Dudley posted:

To be fair, I've driven some reasonably fast karts and that's exactly how they behave. That said I can't drive the CTS-V at all.

Just as an experiment I tried some of the downforceless open wheelers in Project CARS (the only other racing sim I own that has any) and the same effects were present, just to a much lesser extent. So I guess I just don't understand how small cars drive. That said, I loved the intense competition feeling in iRacing but I don't think I really have the time or willpower to get into it unless there are some faster cars that don't try to kill me every turn. I read they were releasing some FWD Honda and the Z4 GT car which is supposedly designed to be relatively easy to drive irl so I might look into it whenever those come out.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 11, 2013

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Just as an experiment I tried some of the downforceless open wheelers in Project CARS (the only other racing sim I own that has any) and the same effects were present, just to a much lesser extent. So I guess I just don't understand how small cars drive. That said, I loved the intense competition feeling in iRacing but I don't think I really have the time or willpower to get into it unless there are some faster cars that don't try to kill me every turn. I read they were releasing some FWD Honda and the Z4 GT car which is supposedly designed to be relatively easy to drive irl so I might look into it whenever those come out.

There are fast cars that are easy to drive. The HPD is a cakewalk to survive laps with, and a shitload of fun to drive. I bought it when iRacing was promoting an all-licenses race of HPDs at Spa, and hot-lapping the HPD at Spa is still one of my favorite things to do.

The HPD is one of the first cars I bought, and as a young driver I cyberstalked forums poster Largepotato around the service and would ghost follow him around as he raced his Ford GT. I was able to keep up with him and I'd barely even be familiar with the track we were racing on.

Be warned though that it attracts the caliber of driver that gives it terrible stigma. Basically what i'm saying is HPD drivers are usually pants-making GBS threads retards that wreck everyone.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

rFactor 2 got "released". Way, way, too early. It's still decidedly a beta.

I think they might have hosed up, but let's wait and see what Assetto Corsa's state is once it's released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

An Enormous Boner posted:

rFactor 2 got "released". Way, way, too early. It's still decidedly a beta.

I think they might have hosed up, but let's wait and see what Assetto Corsa's state is once it's released.

Wait.. What? whoa.

Well , up until the last time I ran it, it ran like total poo poo. Now, it plays fairly nice.

Now to feverishly and impatiently wait for DirtFactor / BOZ sprintcars to be ported.

• Locked thread