Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Memento1979 posted:

I'm going to have to dig out my DVDs from the era - I barely recall this match at all. This is RR 2003, right?

That's the one, I don't know if the DVD retains the standing ovation at the end, though. Live they cut away to backstage but quickly cut back when they realized what was happening. It remains one of my favorite wrestling memories to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jerusalem posted:

That's the one, I don't know if the DVD retains the standing ovation at the end, though. Live they cut away to backstage but quickly cut back when they realized what was happening. It remains one of my favorite wrestling memories to this day.

The Benoit ovation has its own chapter on the DVD.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

ZDar Fan posted:

I've always wondered how the MSG crowd would have reacted had Steiner/HHH had to FOLLOW Angle/Benoit.

RR2003 was in Boston. So, the TD Garden. Less smarky than MSG, if only by a little.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

The thing about the RR applause for Benoit was there was 0 prompting for it. As someone who was there... it was just a couple of sections who were just giving props to Benoit for putting up an awesome fight as he was still in the ring, selling everything. Then more and more sections just caught on and then everyone in the audience kinda felt what was going on and it finished with what the production team cut back to.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If I recall correctly, even though Angle was very much a heel at the time, he kinda gave Benoit a look and nod as if to say "You're a tough motherufcker".

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Sky Shadowing posted:

He only used this theme once? In a blast of nostalgia I dug out my old copies of SD Just Bring It and Here Comes the Pain, and I was surprised to see it's his theme in the JBI (the older one).

It's too badass to go unused, I guess.

Austin used that theme for maybe a week (Raw + Smackdown), and then it was changed to the other Alliance theme.

The first heel theme would have fit better if he'd used it during his heel run prior to defecting to the Alliance. It fit his Two Man Power Trip/"sadistic sombitch who doesn't give a poo poo if you're his best friend, he's gonna kick your rear end anyway" persona.

The second Alliance theme fit his Unhinged Paranoid/"needs-constant-adoration-and-reassurance" persona that he'd fallen into at the time much better.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, it was one week he used it. My main criticism is it starts out too slow, which isn't good for a wrestling theme.

It's still absolutely :krad: though.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, it was one week he used it. My main criticism is it starts out too slow, which isn't good for a wrestling theme.

Agreed. A good wrestling theme needs that initial "hook" so that the fans (most of whom, let's face it, are idiots) know immediately who's coming to the ring.

Austin had the shattering glass. Triple H that bass note.

The tradition of that "hook" is why I love The Rock's Hollywood entrance, because it turned it on its head. The long, subdued intro, and instead of his usual loud catchphrase, they cut it all the way back to a quiet "....is cookin'..."

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

VogeGandire posted:

It's still absolutely :krad: though.
Drew Mac's theme suffers from this even though it is an awesome song.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Agreed. A good wrestling theme needs that initial "hook" so that the fans (most of whom, let's face it, are idiots) know immediately who's coming to the ring.

Austin had the shattering glass. Triple H that bass note.

I like ones that come from a sound effect or are part of the music. I never want to hear another theme that starts with the wrestler saying his catchphrase, or worse yet, his name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKw0BxaCL5k

Rock's was fine cause it fit him and he started doing it long before it became so cliched. Same with "Oh, you didn't know?" cause it was part of their gimmick. Mr. Kennedy gets a pass for the same reason.

But every single time I heard "My name is Finlay..." or "Enough is enough!" or "I spit in the face..." or "Gregory Helms!" I cringed. It just feels so cheesy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Nothing will ever be as good as Steve Blackman's theme.

Nothing.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Gonz posted:

Nothing will ever be as good as Steve Blackman's theme.

Nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwNiQg6SdXY

Is still the best regardless of what you think of him once that theme hit you knew it was rear end kicking time.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Some themes didnt need a hook. The crowd had already associated the song with badassness.

http://youtu.be/wq6MJpSTRd0

No hook or phrase, but as soon as the APA theme kicked in, you knew someone was getting their poo poo wrecked.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The worst hook is Zack Ryder's "Woo Woo Woo" one. The beginning of Oh Radio was better without it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

The Croc posted:

Is still the best regardless of what you think of him once that theme hit you knew it was rear end kicking time.

Similarly.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Sionistic posted:

Some themes didnt need a hook. The crowd had already associated the song with badassness.

http://youtu.be/wq6MJpSTRd0

No hook or phrase, but as soon as the APA theme kicked in, you knew someone was getting their poo poo wrecked.

Fair point. Maybe what I should have said was it should be easily identifiable in the first few notes. The APA theme, as soon you heard those first three notes... an rear end-whuppin' was incoming.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Croc posted:

There's something AC/DC-ish about this theme. Some guys get more over than they should just because their theme music kicks rear end, and some guys don't make it as far as they should because their music is awful.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Speaking of effective hooks

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Perry Normal posted:

I like ones that come from a sound effect or are part of the music. I never want to hear another theme that starts with the wrestler saying his catchphrase, or worse yet, his name.

But I'll never tire of Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh WHAT A RUSH!

It sounded on Smackdown a few months ago as part of the,"Heath Slater accidentally summons a WWE Legend to kick his rear end" storyline and I lost my goddamn mind.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Jay 2K Winger posted:

A hook, you say? :c00lbert:

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Jerusalem posted:

But I'll never tire of Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh WHAT A RUSH!

It sounded on Smackdown a few months ago as part of the,"Heath Slater accidentally summons a WWE Legend to kick his rear end" storyline and I lost my goddamn mind.

Were they the first wrestlers with a catch phrase to start off their music?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Jerusalem posted:

"Heath Slater accidentally summons a WWE Legend to kick his rear end" storyline and I lost my goddamn mind.

This was probably my favorite storyline of like the last 3 years.

Also if we are posting themes with good starting hooks, I can't think of a etter one than the Nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPYrHsO_-H0

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That and the first rock theme are 2nd only to stone cold in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwHlV4Ab4IM

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Perry Normal posted:

Not if Ted Dibiase's awesome laugh counts as a catchphrase (it does).

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

This was always one of my favorites. I thought Marcus Cor Von's was a lot of fun. I always had a soft spot for that Crash Holly theme that Spike TV used to use to promo their lovely shows a few years back, too.

Question: Jack Swagger seems to have nothing but upside. He's charismatic, good in the ring, he has a great look. Why isn't he a big star? Is it that minor lisp of his? Is he a huge pain in the rear end? Am I maybe over rating him a bit? Or is the WWE honestly just that bad at utilizing their talent?

It's that last one, isn't it :(

Edit:

Crash's theme
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=07Kp4r--JTc

Cor Von's theme
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=1ya2rHgDoRs

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 10, 2012

amplifierWORSHIP
Jul 29, 2007

you're a man. let 'em dangle.

DangerDummy! posted:

Question: Jack Swagger seems to have nothing but upside. He's charismatic, good in the ring, he has a great look. Why isn't he a big star? Is it that minor lisp of his? Is he a huge pain in the rear end? Am I maybe over rating him a bit? Or is the WWE honestly just that bad at utilizing their talent?

It's that last one, isn't it :(

they gave him the World Heavyweight Title, changed his character entirely, he flopped, and they then decided it must be his fault so he is destined to be mid-card fodder forever.

really, your final assumption is correct. it is correct 99% of the time when it comes to any squandered talent in the WWE. they can't book, Vince is scum, and the company will never improve until he's gone.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Perry Normal posted:

Jake Roberts' heel theme dates from around the same time, not sure which one was first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bXUWsBcbSA

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Someone's about to get jobbed out to Triple H as the reigning ECW champion on Live TV!!!

amplifierWORSHIP
Jul 29, 2007

not sure what is up with people talking about the best entrance themes without mentioning the BEST of all time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqRKKpnWkh8

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

amplifierWORSHIP posted:

they gave him the World Heavyweight Title, changed his character entirely, he flopped, and they then decided it must be his fault so he is destined to be mid-card fodder forever.

really, your final assumption is correct. it is correct 99% of the time when it comes to any squandered talent in the WWE. they can't book, Vince is scum, and the company will never improve until he's gone.

Eh, I figured as much. I just remember seeing him completely dead lift that Alex Riley guy a couple years ago (?) Into a powerbomb and the announce team went out of their way to make him look like a loving rear end in a top hat even though I thought it was kinda obviously not his fault. Then I think he jobbed to Santino or something.

Another question: I've heard CM Punk called a "sloppy worker" a whole bunch of times, but I've heard just as often that he's a safe and trustworthy guy in the ring. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me unless sloppy and unsafe don't mean the same thing in this context. So I guess my question is... uh, how come that?

I swear I framed it better in my head...

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Sloppy just in terms of he's not very graceful and some of his moves look awkward. Not sloppy in the terrible, dangerous worker sense, just sloppy in the it could look better sense.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

DangerDummy! posted:

Eh, I figured as much. I just remember seeing him completely dead lift that Alex Riley guy a couple years ago (?) Into a powerbomb and the announce team went out of their way to make him look like a loving rear end in a top hat even though I thought it was kinda obviously not his fault. Then I think he jobbed to Santino or something.

Another question: I've heard CM Punk called a "sloppy worker" a whole bunch of times, but I've heard just as often that he's a safe and trustworthy guy in the ring. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me unless sloppy and unsafe don't mean the same thing in this context. So I guess my question is... uh, how come that?

I swear I framed it better in my head...

He's sloppy because he tries to do things but he just messes them up. He's not really dangerous per se, just at times clumsy and awkward.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Thunder Hammerfist posted:

He's sloppy because he tries to do things but he just messes them up. He's not really dangerous per se, just at times clumsy and awkward.
Hence Crooked Moonsault, I've seen Lita do better Moonsaults.

Didn't Ace Steel say something about Punk when training him in the DVD? He had "lead in his rear end"

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

amplifierWORSHIP posted:

not sure what is up with people talking about the best entrance themes without mentioning the BEST of all time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqRKKpnWkh8
Haha, you quoted the wrong video, here, let me fix that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTL-Byt_dRA

this really is legitimately one of my favorite wrestling themes ever, my friends and I still occasionally start singing it to each other despite it only having played once ever to our knowledge

amplifierWORSHIP
Jul 29, 2007

CM Punk is not sloppy in the sense that a bodybuilder/football player in developmental is with barely a year of training. he's just not super crisp in everything that he does like let's say, Daniel Bryan is. as far as in-ring psychology goes he's among the top brass in the WWE right now. if anything i think it really adds to his character as a guy who might work his rear end off in every situation, but just isn't the picture perfect athlete.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Sloppy just in terms of he's not very graceful and some of his moves look awkward. Not sloppy in the terrible, dangerous worker sense, just sloppy in the it could look better sense.

He fucks up that springboard clothesline a lot (relatively speaking), I'm kinda surprised he hasn't dropped it.

Punk always hass struck me as a terrible natural athlete, but he makes up for it with his psychology and timing.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Punk has a lot of moves that look bad, but none that look dangerous.
Cena's leg drop bulldog is going to kill somebody.

Were there any plans for Shawn Michaels in the nWo?
It seemed like bizarre weird way to have him return before the Triple H feud.
Did Nash's quad and Hall being Hall ruin a planned Outsiders vs. DX match?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Well, Hall would have been fired for being a drunk at some point.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Alright, pop quiz fellas:

Who, excluding HBK, has the best superkick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ziggler throws a pretty drat neat superkick.

Lance Storm's was pretty nice too.