Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daemonqueller
Aug 16, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

edit: or do you mean you want each of your contacts to have their own text sound and their own email sound?

Yes, I want to have separate sounds for each contact that texts me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

You can set individual text notification sounds (and led colors!) by contact in light flow, but I don't think there's a way to differentiate emails by contact.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

What's a good Facebook app? Or should I just stick with the actual FB app?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kheldarn posted:

Everyone always bitches about the official one, but I've never really had a problem with it and all the other ones aren't as full featured or just look like rear end.

I'd just stick with the official one.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kheldarn posted:

Friendcaster was the highly recommended replacement back when I was looking. I haven't had any problems with it, but the reason it was recommended over the official app was issues with wakelocking and bandwidth, which very well may have been fixed in the official app by now.

Daemonqueller
Aug 16, 2004

Viper915 posted:

You can set individual text notification sounds (and led colors!) by contact in light flow, but I don't think there's a way to differentiate emails by contact.

Light Flow was what I was looking for.
Thanks!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Is there a way to make it so that dismissing a notification (text, email, whatever) will make the LED stop blinking? Is this a problem with just lightflow or does it happen without it too? I'm using the free version.

Most of the time I can read an entire text/email from the notification bar and just dismiss it, but the blinking light drives me crazy so I have to open up whatever app it is just to make android realize that yes, I AM aware that I received this notification.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
At the risk of being probated for not reading all 258 pages of this thread, what is the best (or rather, least worst) app for mirroring my Galaxy S2 onto my Apple TV?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Taffer posted:

Is there a way to make it so that dismissing a notification (text, email, whatever) will make the LED stop blinking? Is this a problem with just lightflow or does it happen without it too? I'm using the free version.

I don't know if this is a feature of the paid version or not (I guess it might be) but in the applications notification options (in light flow) you can choose between 3 options which clears the notification. The choices are manual (no idea what this does), when you turn the screen on and when the app is viewed (default).

Below that there is also a check box that can clear the notification when the notification bar is pulled down.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Has anyone made a "volume enhancer" app that works for ICS/JB yet? I cannot hear my GNex if it's in my pocket, and I think I'm starting to become desensitized to the vibrate. I miss 90% of my calls when it's in my pocket, and answer a lot of texts late.
I feel like this has been answered before but you need to significantly modify the framework to do this. There used to be a hack that subbed some CM audio framework into the stock ROM but honestly it's just easier to flash CM10 since it works. I mean you're already breaking compatibility with OTAs if you're modifying the framework, why not get the benefits of CM10 along with the fix?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sendo posted:

I don't know if this is a feature of the paid version or not (I guess it might be) but in the applications notification options (in light flow) you can choose between 3 options which clears the notification. The choices are manual (no idea what this does), when you turn the screen on and when the app is viewed (default).

Below that there is also a check box that can clear the notification when the notification bar is pulled down.

Just what I was looking for, thanks.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I do like the fact that you can easily switch between flow and normal typing on a dime. Good for like passwords and stuff.

But how do you do double letters? Like.... "three" You loop in normal swype.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like I'm sticking with Official Facebook. Thanks!

TLG James posted:

I do like the fact that you can easily switch between flow and normal typing on a dime. Good for like passwords and stuff.

I just trace over the letter multiple time, and it picks up that I want "three" or "need" or the like.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

explosivo posted:

NFC tags came today, and I gotta say, just in the hour I've been loving with them I'm pretty impressed. I haven't even had to use Tasker, NFC Task Launcher is just so good. Now I just need to start coming up with some uses for these things outside of the standard 'car mode in the car, silent with wifi at work, alarm on your nightstand' kind of stuff.

I'm really hoping I can wipe my phone over my front door and have my Philips Hue lights turn on or off.

The Hue bulbs are super cool but they've got a long way to go.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TLG James posted:

I just go 'thre' and it identifies 'three'.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Mzuri posted:

At the risk of being probated for not reading all 258 pages of this thread, what is the best (or rather, least worst) app for mirroring my Galaxy S2 onto my Apple TV?

As in, iPad style Airplay? It's not really possible since Airplay is a proprietary tech. The only way to get an S2 on a TV is by using an MHL adapter.

e: :argh: autocorrect

Geektox fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 8, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Anyone have any recommendations for a good HTPC control app? Setting up a Windows 8 HTPC and was wondering if there was anything worth looking into.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a good HTPC control app? Setting up a Windows 8 HTPC and was wondering if there was anything worth looking into.

Did you try Unified Remote? Or the Official XBMC Remote?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Unified Remote looks awesome. I will give that a shot. Thanks!

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Geektox posted:

As in, iPad style Airplay? It's not really possible since Airplay is a proprietary tech. The only way to get an S2 on a TV is by using an MHL adapter.

e: :argh: autocorrect

Yeah, that was what I had in mind.a
Well, thanks anyway!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I just go 'thre' and it identifies 'three'.

That can't distinguish between things like "to" and "too", though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taffer posted:

That can't distinguish between things like "to" and "too", though.

True, but one of the big advantages of Swiftkey is that it looks heavily at the context in which the word is being used to make its predictions, isn't it?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Decius posted:

If it is ePubs without DRM FBReader is my favourite. Moon Reader is also good as far as I heard. Otherwise you have to deal with the proprietary reader App of your DRM-shop.
You can reject permissions via a special App if you're rooted, but it also might be that the App that doesn't get all permissions it wants doesn't work any more if you do so.

Ended up going with Moonreader. Thanks for the rec.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Anyone have a favourite radio app? I was using TuneIn until it started sending me push adverts, that poo poo is not on.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Lizard Combatant posted:

Anyone have a favourite radio app? I was using TuneIn until it started sending me push adverts, that poo poo is not on.

I absolutely love Spotify. Thanks to this, I have found lots of great music! Unfortunately, you have to have a Premium membership (:10bux:/month) to use it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is that the free app or the paid app? I used to use TuneIn on my phone but for some reason it always made it overheat.

IHeartRadio's pretty good. Good variety of broadcasts stations, plus stream-only and custom stations.

Champ Baldoon
Nov 22, 2012

dont let me get in my zone
If you're willing to fork up $10 a month than spotify is one of the best music apps around in my opinion. It's very rare for me to not be able to find a song in their library.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
The problem I have with Spotify is that it seems like they got all their audio files from Napster circa 2001. Tags are a mess, bands are credited with songs they didn't have anything to do with, and a lot of it sounds like it's 96k MP3 (and some of it sounds worse!)

As far as their music selection goes, some bands have nothing listed at all, while others have their complete library. It's kind of hit or miss.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Anyone know of an app or method to block my phone from connecting to a specific celltower? I've reported the issue to my provider, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say they'll take their sweet time in fixing it.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

FlyingCheese posted:

The problem I have with Spotify is that it seems like they got all their audio files from Napster circa 2001. Tags are a mess, bands are credited with songs they didn't have anything to do with, and a lot of it sounds like it's 96k MP3 (and some of it sounds worse!)

As far as their music selection goes, some bands have nothing listed at all, while others have their complete library. It's kind of hit or miss.

I've been liking Rdio, partly because that's the only that works in :canada:. The audio sounds pretty OK and uniform, But requires a sub with no free option.

Anyone know why the TouchWiz Messaging app is using 17% of my battery over ~2 hours? The battery screen shows 56 seconds of "Total CPU Time", is that a lot? I'd use something else, but ChompSMS can't send MMS and freezes a bunch, and GoSMS/Handcent both look like the janky Chinese spyware programs my mom love to download on her computer. Is there nothing better?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FlyingCheese posted:

How big of a problem this is probably depends on what kind of stuff you listen to. For example, I very rarely encounter the issues you list.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So despite the fact that using my Bluetooth headset usually results in a significant lag when watching a video I decided to try it with Netflix on my TF300T (running the latest stock firmware) anyway. Much to my surprise it's working perfectly; no lag as far as I can tell. I don't know what kind of wizardry they did to make it work but I'm super psyched that it is.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

The Spotify phone apps default to lower sound quality so as to not burn the folks who are on capped data plans. There are three options for bitrate and the default is the lowest of the three.

The music selection is kind of annoying at times, for sure, though. Quite often, bands that changed labels midway through their career will only have albums from one label and not the other.

And up until very recently there was one entire label (EMI if I remember right) whose music was just plain unplayable on Spotify if the song was >10 minutes long. The label sent metadata with the music with the intent of telling iTunes and other purchased services they were to be "album only" tracks, and somehow Spotify was interpreting this as "unavailable." They said on their support boards that this was why, but didn't really get around to fixing it for quite some time.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

This is really lovely, I just got my first ad also and I'm using the loving paid version.

It's annoying that disabling notifications in Jelly Bean prevents the apps notification controls from showing up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

kitten smoothie posted:

The Spotify phone apps default to lower sound quality so as to not burn the folks who are on capped data plans. There are three options for bitrate and the default is the lowest of the three.

The music selection is kind of annoying at times, for sure, though. Quite often, bands that changed labels midway through their career will only have albums from one label and not the other.

And up until very recently there was one entire label (EMI if I remember right) whose music was just plain unplayable on Spotify if the song was >10 minutes long. The label sent metadata with the music with the intent of telling iTunes and other purchased services they were to be "album only" tracks, and somehow Spotify was interpreting this as "unavailable." They said on their support boards that this was why, but didn't really get around to fixing it for quite some time.

The nice thing about Spotify is you can install it on your computer and make sure it has what you want before you pony up any money at all.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Sendo posted:

This is really lovely, I just got my first ad also and I'm using the loving paid version.

It's annoying that disabling notifications in Jelly Bean prevents the apps notification controls from showing up.

Yeah this pisses me the hell off as well. The thing is, I don't understand why it's not an optional feature - most of the ones I get are promoting big events on particular stations, and (UK goon here) most of the time it's football. On 5 live. Which is a BBC station. I somehow doubt the BBC are paying TuneIn to promote City vs. United (seriously, I got that push ad this morning) so I'm not really sure what's going on there.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
e: oops wrong thread

e2: actually I should clarify: I'm only after radio, not library streaming like Spotify.

Sendo posted:

Me, too. I uninstalled and 1 starred immediately.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 10, 2012

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sand Studio is working on AirDroid2, and have started taking signups for a 3-month invite-only Beta Test.

The big feature seems to be:

No longer limited to same WiFi network. Manage your device via your AirDroid account with available network anytime, anywhere.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone have a good recommendation for an app that will let me track receipts? Going on a business trip and I'd like to be able to take pictures of my receipts, enter into, then in a perfect world have a collage of the pictures made that I can attach to an expense report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Evernote might not be made exactly for this, but it does let you store pictures and then search them by OCR. Put them all in one notebook.

• Locked thread