Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Specto posted:

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-276/
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-277/

Is it just me, or is there a little bit of sky in the upper right corner of 276? Aren't they still in the cave?

The hole is from where the Limbo crew burst in and it was day when Cuco headed into the depths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Popo posted:

The hole is from where the Limbo crew burst in and it was day when Cuco headed into the depths.

Ah, that's what I get for not actually checking! Thanks for clarifying for both of us.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pandaK posted:

But where does the drain go :tinfoil:

Away.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-278/

I love Almond's mid-air pose in the last panel.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Liquus did something! First Carrot, now this. We're reaching dizzying amounts of competence!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm half expecting Almond to break that combo, though.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Veev posted:

Liquus did something! First Carrot, now this. We're reaching dizzying amounts of competence!

That's a lot of juice for a tiny electric eel. Splashmaster must be weak to Electric. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Cuco buffs/debuffs, Nautilus' magic debilitates the enemy, and then you call in glass cannon Almond to really do some damage.

It's RPG Boss 101 up ins

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Veev posted:

Liquus did something before! In fact, this is the second time he's fried Splashmaster.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-279/

Woah.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Oh god are we going to see adorably rendered squid entrails soon?! :ohdear:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well, I was not expecting him to literally be sliced to pieces.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Woah indeed. This is more violent than I imagined this comic getting.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

It looks like she's attacking tentacles/arms. They'll regenerate in a couple of rounds and Splashmaster himself will be completely unharmed.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I was expecting swords to remain uncharacterisitcally blunt through the entirety of the comic. I guess not!

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Manyorcas posted:

I was expecting swords to remain uncharacterisitcally blunt through the entirety of the comic. I guess not!

I got the impression that she was hitting him with the flat side of the sword, personally.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Wasn't that a wooden practice sword or am I just remembering things?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Almond doin work'.

Yeah it's just legs being cut, so I'm guessing it's not going to be over THIS easily.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Wasn't that a wooden practice sword or am I just remembering things?

Yes. She got a real sword in Saturday's treasure hoard at the same time Cucumber found a working wand.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-280/

Needs some theme music and it would be perfect.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/archive/page-281/

This comic has the prettiest art.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Sorry Splashmaster but these are Zelda rules. Just because you're goofy and charming doesn't mean your rear end isn't getting thoroughly vanquished :black101:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
You got Nayru's Pearl!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yap5o_shL1c

Only thing that came to mind on the last page.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

The GIG posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yap5o_shL1c

Only thing that came to mind on the last page.

To be fair, the author loves TTYD

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Edit: Woops double post

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I first read the sound effect as "GHHHHHHHHOST".

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dogbutt posted:

To be fair, the author loves TTYD

To be fair, anybody with good taste loves TTYD.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't really expecting to have baddies die in the sense of actual death. More like Earthbound "welp, just got my rear end kicked as a boss, gonna sit here and snivel some" stuff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, if Nautilus' lore is to be believed, Splashmaster and the other Disaster Masters get brought back every time the Nightmare Knight comes back. (Although, given Nautilus' questionable memory of the lore, that may not be correct) So you don't really have to mourn him, he'll be back... whenever Cucumber's grandkid has to do this.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
From the way this page looks, I'm pretty sure the Disaster Masters are just 'sealed' in the Disaster Stones. I wouldn't quite call it death, but it's certainly not enjoyable.

Once the Nightmare Knight is summoned using the stones, he probably releases the Distaster Masters from the the stones and let's them do their thing, to various degrees of success I imagine.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do you think the chances are they're actually going to seal them away permanently at the end anyway? I mean, that would take competence :v:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I dunno, Almond and Cucumber seem to be pretty competent. At least, more competent than anyone we've met so far, except for maybe Cordelia and the Nightmare Knight. They may be the first to get it done. Especially in light of the tale being about the Legendary Hero, and here we have the Legendary Hero (brother) and Legendary Hero (sister).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I don't think they'll be able to permanently do it; if it was possible, it probably would've happened by now. I find it rather unlikely that Cuco and Almond are the most competent duo in the thousands of years this has been going on. Isn't the Legendary Hero thing just "the one person who can beat the Nightmare Knight this time" anyway? That's how I understood it at least.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Eh, the stuff we're talking about isn't going to be happening for probably a few years anyway. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff that we're going to be finding out between now and then, and finding out that some of stuff we've been told already that is actually misinformation or fairy-tale.

You're right though, if it were possible it probably would have already been done. I'm interested in seeing Cucumber and Almond's grandpa though. In action too, just as a comparison.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They don't need to find a way to seal the stones permanently, they just need to find a way to hide them competently.

I'd also think that this is foreshadowing.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 13, 2012

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Somehow I don't think Almond is going to be much help in ending the cycle once and for all. If anything, she's going to make sure it happens faster, to be fair to the generations that would be otherwise skipped. Or to have another turn at Legendary Hero-ing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Onean posted:

I dunno, Almond and Cucumber seem to be pretty competent. At least, more competent than anyone we've met so far, except for maybe Cordelia and the Nightmare Knight. They may be the first to get it done. Especially in light of the tale being about the Legendary Hero, and here we have the Legendary Hero (brother) and Legendary Hero (sister).

Self-awareness does not equal competency.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: oops wrong thread

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I'm with the camp that they'll pull off actually defeating the Nightmare Knight. Because Almond won't see the point of the Disaster Stones if she can just slice Splashmaster into calamari.