Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Little CBR125 I got at the end of August, did my first 1000 miles on it a few weeks ago, it's been out of action since then. I've only got two pictures my friends took my first week with the bike, and apparently the bike is a little too small for me!

I now see why they were so eager to get this on Facebook. Caption was "Do they do one in your size?", the bastards.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Stopped by the chocolate factory to see a friend, found a nice photo opportunity.

Cron PERLman
Jan 18, 2005

20 4 * * /bin/smokeweed
I smoke the weed at 4:20am
Still relatively wet behind the ears, went from never being on a bike to this in a week. 3 months later it's all I think about.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Cron PERLman posted:

Still relatively wet behind the ears, went from never being on a bike to this in a week. 3 months later it's all I think about.

I seriously considered putting myself WAAAAAY in debt to buy one of those this winter, cooler heads prevailed :(. Awesome ride.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

After a bar swap and some monkeying I've settled on this setup. I ended up going with highway pegs and leaving mid controls as I'm used to them and would rather have more options than less.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Cron PERLman posted:

Jesus, it's like an F-117.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

quote:

'sup fellow "pick up a BMW Middleweight at the end of a season for the first bike" brother. (Seriously, 3 months as well, that's f'n eerie) Same color, just the "S" varient vs your ST. (Clip ons, half fairing, tiny windshield)

Great little underrated bike.

ThatCguy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 7, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Cron PERLman posted:

Such great bikes - I especially like the fuel consumption. You probably get double what I get on the Tuono. :cry:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ThatCguy posted:

I wouldn't call any current BMWs "little" but it is neat looking. The fairing has some really nice curvature, cool forms...but too tall, I think.

Looks sweet with all that stuff taken off:

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Hence why I like the "S". I'm all of 5'6 and it fits quite nicely for me.

As for the "R", nice enough bike, but I'm bummed they ditched the belt drive on it, that, combined with the upright bars from the ST minus the wind protection sort of smacks you in the face. An R with the "S" clipons and something other than that front headlight would be sweet.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ThatCguy posted:

Hence why I like the "S". I'm all of 5'6 and it fits quite nicely for me.

As for the "R", nice enough bike, but I'm bummed they ditched the belt drive on it, that, combined with the upright bars from the ST minus the wind protection sort of smacks you in the face. An R with the "S" clipons and something other than that front headlight would be sweet.

Switching to a chain means easy gearing changes. Appropriate for the naked.

Cron PERLman
Jan 18, 2005

20 4 * * /bin/smokeweed
I smoke the weed at 4:20am

ThatCguy posted:

'sup fellow "pick up a BMW Middleweight at the end of a season for the first bike" brother. (Seriously, 3 months as well, that's f'n eerie) Same color, just the "S" varient vs your ST. (Clip ons, half fairing, tiny windshield)

:hfive: best bikes

Saga posted:

Such great bikes - I especially like the fuel consumption. You probably get double what I get on the Tuono. :cry:

According to the bike I get around 60 miles per gallon if I worked it out correctly. 4.4L per 100km, with a mix of commuting to work and relaxed rides over weekends.

edit: if that seems lower than it should be, the bike is 5 years old. Picked it up for a steal as it had low mileage and is in top condition.

Cron PERLman fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 7, 2012

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

F800R is the bike I learned to ride on. :3:

I agree with the lack of wind protection. Upright position and no windscreen makes it really uncomfortable above 90kph.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

First bike, the best bike.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 8, 2012

Philanthropy!
Nov 8, 2012

RIDE A NEW BIKE, BECAUSE MORE HORSEPOWER EQUALS SAFER THAN

I don't often see many people in full leathers on a little 125.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

^I actually had two motorcycle police pull up beside me on the way home shortly after that photo, saying exactly that, with "Good to see it wee man", which made up for them making me just about poo poo myself.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Wootcannon posted:

I now see why they were so eager to get this on Facebook. Caption was "Do they do one in your size?", the bastards.

Trying to give these guys a run for the money?

Seriously, how tall are you, or are the 125s just really tiny bikes?

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Cheeky bastard! Bit of both, I'm roughly around 6'3" (~187cm) but the boots probably add a half inch or so, and they are quite small compared to the Fireblade they're imitating.

Wootcannon fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 8, 2012

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

I'm out here in the cold with my first bike! Honda Shadow 750 Spirit, 2002. Got back from the shop, the tires had dry rot as I suspected they probably would. My battery is fine, just needed charging. The dude there helped run me through a few things about starting it up and how to prep it for storage if weather/time stops me from going on joy rides. I want to hit the roads pretty frequently so long as rain/snow permits. Cold rarely bothers me, specially in this gear.

This is the best thing I've ever done. The best. Thanks goons for encouraging all this.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 9, 2012

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Orange Someone posted:

If that was an ER-5, I'd be worried you were my sister.

Good bike though. Does that one come with a rear disk or drum? Which new tyre? Also just check the consumables, so you'll know when they're likely to be used or need replacing (oil, rad fluid, brake disks etc). Only other things I could think of would be chain, sprockets and fork seals.

Also, I was convinced that every cop in the area was eying me up when I was on a bright red bike compared to my normal subdued black on.

One of the other ladies I was training with passed and bought an ER-5. :tinfoil:

It's a disc on the rear brake and the front tyre which was replaced. All the oil levels are good and the sticker came off easily, I didn't have an allen key big enough for the grab bar so that can stay for now. (Good point about luggage actually, hmm!)

The weather was great yesterday so I took it out for my first proper ride... added 80 miles to the clock by taking it up to a pub popular with bikers out in the Yorkshire moors. What a ride. :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

vollgasflorett posted:

I finished servicing my new purchase this week so I thought it was a good chance to put up some shots.

It's a 1985 Suzuki GSX 1100 EF with an original 55000km on the clock. I picked it up off of it's second owner who had bought it as an engine donor for a custom streetfighter project but felt it was too good to part out. I've given it a full service and reset all the adjustable suspension to factory standard as opposed to maximum so it is ready to ride but it has just started to snow round here so I think I'll clean and detail it this weekend and stash it away ready for spring.
As for the streetfighter builder, he ended up buying a Mojo frame and built up a bike around a 1750cc Harley twin cam motor instead...
Nice bike. :)

That is virtually identical to the first bike I ever rode, except it was a red/black 1150EF

Scared the hell out of me.

vollgasflorett
Oct 31, 2010
Thanks slidebite, You are right on the model, mine has the 1150 motor as well, they just never updated the names over here. A red and black one from '86 just turned up in the freeads for 1600 CHF, looked in just as good condition as mine with a similar KM on the clock. I'm really liking how these awesome 80's bikes with solid history are starting to trickle back out on the market- one or 2 owner, good service history, piles of receipts... Really glad I have a little bit of space to pick up something new now and again.
Just so you know when I first rode this back to my garage it was raining, it scared the hell out of me too. Big jump from the '72 CB450 I've been riding all summer. Can't wait for the snows to clear in spring to get a chance to really ride it.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
Sold old bike on Monday ('03 Triumph Speed Four)

Bought new bike on Friday ('12 Triumph Street Triple R)

(ignore my dumb mug)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Are you practicing your "Stranded by wonky Triumph electronics/fueling" face? Because I'm pretty sure that's how I look at mine when they strand me. :xd:

Congrats on the bike!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Congrats, that's a sharp lookin' machine right there.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

JohnnyDangerously posted:

Sold old bike on Monday ('03 Triumph Speed Four)

Bought new bike on Friday ('12 Triumph Street Triple R)

(ignore my dumb mug)

gently caress yeah. I got the same bike. You're gonna love it.

Make sure you fiddle with the suspension though, supposedly it comes out of the factory set for 2-up, mine was practically unrideable at first.

Philanthropy!
Nov 8, 2012

RIDE A NEW BIKE, BECAUSE MORE HORSEPOWER EQUALS SAFER THAN

Sweet. What mods are you thinking? These bikes can look the schniz when modded with care. Apparently the front end is really easy to get up on this bike (that and the speed triple) confirm/deny?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The newer Speeds (with the pentagon lights) are supposedly far more docile than the older round-light ones, since Triumph shifted a lot of weight forward to try to help front-end feel (and keep the front down.) They're still pretty lift-happy if you get on it. The 2013 Streets have similar changes, but the 2012 and earlier are supposed to be eager to reach from the sky.

Very nice bike, JD. The black/gold is such a great color scheme, although the stock mufflers just look garish with it - it calls out for pipes that are black or at least smaller. Regarding what Covops Wizard said, I've also heard the rear preload is set way, way too high stock.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Philanthropy! posted:

Sweet. What mods are you thinking? These bikes can look the schniz when modded with care. Apparently the front end is really easy to get up on this bike (that and the speed triple) confirm/deny?

For the streety you really gotta whack on the throttle to lift the front, I've just picked up a 1050 throttle tube which should make it easier. Also planning on a sprocket change, first gear is really long, and I don't really need to be going 140 on a bike with no fairing anyway.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

Snowdens Secret posted:

The newer Speeds (with the pentagon lights) are supposedly far more docile than the older round-light ones, since Triumph shifted a lot of weight forward to try to help front-end feel (and keep the front down.) They're still pretty lift-happy if you get on it. The 2013 Streets have similar changes, but the 2012 and earlier are supposed to be eager to reach from the sky.

Very nice bike, JD. The black/gold is such a great color scheme, although the stock mufflers just look garish with it - it calls out for pipes that are black or at least smaller. Regarding what Covops Wizard said, I've also heard the rear preload is set way, way too high stock.

To be honest, I haven't really had an opportunity to see how sky-happy the nose is because of a combination of break-in period and terrible weather. I rode it home in terrible, cold rain. With brand new and oily tires I didn't really feel like testing the limits!

In a year or so I'll installing a less conspicuous exhaust. Other than that I love it.

How important is it that I stay within prescribed RPM limits when breaking in a bike? I've never owned anything new before so this process is foreign to me.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

To be honest, I haven't really had an opportunity to see how sky-happy the nose is because of a combination of break-in period and terrible weather. I rode it home in terrible, cold rain. With brand new and oily tires I didn't really feel like testing the limits!

In a year or so I'll installing a less conspicuous exhaust. Other than that I love it.

How important is it that I stay within prescribed RPM limits when breaking in a bike? I've never owned anything new before so this process is foreign to me.

Coming from a 250 it was relatively easy, as long as I didn't go on the highway. The triple engine makes it pull real nicely at the super-low recommended RPMs. I mean, you can probably go a little over and it'll be fine, just don't be bouncing off the rev limiter or running at 10000 rpms for a long rear end time on it or anything for the first 500 miles.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Going over the RPM limits during the break-in period is actually really, really good for the bike because all the microscopic slivers of metal that are shearing off all the bearing surfaces that are now in the oil make a good scouring abrasive which is really really good at cleaning and polishing the inside of the engine. Ignore those recommendations immediately

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Some manufacturers have recommendations that are impossible. Kawi tells you to stay under 4k no matter what bike you have. Try that on a ninja 250 and tell me its better for the motor.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Every factory warms the bikes up, runs them on a dyno, and then holds them on the limiter for a bit at the end of assembly to make sure everything was installed correctly.

The best bikes I've owned where I knew how they were broken in were all warmed up nicely and then broken in really hard. The 2 that come to mind are my 929 which made excellent power at 45k miles on a dyno and never burned oil, and Spiff's 690 SMC, which made excellent power as well, without any oil issues either. The bikes that I have seen oil burning issues on were often paired with owners who broke them in "by the book" (generally high reving sportbike engines where they somehow stayed under kawasaki's 4k limit).

BMW had more stringent break-in limits (ECU enforced a lower rev limit) to start with which then got changed later down the road, probably when they started doing a break-in routine at the factory rather than letting it get done by the owners on the road.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
These replies are all I need to ride a bit harder. Staying under 5k was driving me nuts.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

nsaP posted:

Some manufacturers have recommendations that are impossible. Kawi tells you to stay under 4k no matter what bike you have. Try that on a ninja 250 and tell me its better for the motor.
I was helping a buddy break in a brand new Klr today and he told me his manual said this. I weigh allmost 300 pounds and I'm not sure the bike would move at less than 4k. I just told him to vary the rpms and stay off the limiter. I've never had a bike that new is it normal that the exhaust smell kinda funky? It's got less than 200 miles on it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was taking some pics in case anyone was skeptical and I found these recommended shift points too. This is a Ninja 250.

I mean I always though that 2nd and 3rd were too close but really....

grr...stupid images...rotate!

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 12, 2012

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

nsaP posted:

I mean I always though that 2nd and 3rd were too close but really....

Is there any manual that lists sensible shifting speeds? Either I'm a bad driver/rider, or every car or bike I've owned, the manual's suggested shifts are ridiculously low.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Is it even possible to accelerate at anything less than 4k on a Ninja? I think's worth risking not breaking it in after 500 miles at that point. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

from a GSX-R750 manual