Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
Any help with iTunes audio woes would be greatly appreciated.

All the tracks for my books are being sorted 1, 10, 11, 2, 3, 4, etc. Any fix for this issue?

Also - each CD I burn of my books keeps being read as separate books. I tried "part of compilation" and nothing happens. There are still 11 different "books" when in reality it's just an 11 CD book.

Found a thousand different answers online and any smart goon tips would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Litch991 posted:

All the tracks for my books are being sorted 1, 10, 11, 2, 3, 4, etc. Any fix for this issue?

Also - each CD I burn of my books keeps being read as separate books. I tried "part of compilation" and nothing happens. There are still 11 different "books" when in reality it's just an 11 CD book.

Found a thousand different answers online and any smart goon tips would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks!!
Change the track names to something like Book 01, Book 02...Book 09

No first hand experience on CD burning and I don't know if you're burning 1 long file or several tracks per disc but you can try editing the tags to be Disc [1] of [11].
It might be confused by 11 discs with the same album name.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mystes posted:

You're thinking of Samuel Delany.
Sorry, my bad! :D

And yeah, iTunes is a miserable way to organize your audiobooks. I had to rename a lot of files as well when I used it for podcasts and stuff.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ulio posted:

Is the subscription for audible worth it? If I am getting maybe one or two audiobooks a month?

Totally worth it.

In Canada, $10-$13 is the pre-tax price for a brand new paperback novel. On Audible, that's the cost of any* book I care to buy; fiction or non-fiction, long or short. And if after calculating the member discount and/or a sale, an audiobook is cheaper than a credit, I'll buy it outright. Also, after you use your credits, they'll supply banner ads and emails with more incentives to buy (three more credits for ~$33, $5 sales, additional _% off, etc.). Finally, the free subscription to the WSJ/NYT is a nice way to keep abreast of American news topics.
I've acquired 115 books in two years (Sept. 2010-present), and in that time, I've been exposed to authours and narrators I might never have considered giving a chance. Also, I've never averaged that high a rate of book purchases even in hardcopy... and I love reading.

*Some exceptions may apply. Certain titles may not be available for purchase in your region.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 1, 2012

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Litch991 posted:

I ususally put them into a playlist. If you play them in numerical order, that is how they arrange in the playlist.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Roydrowsy posted:

I ususally put them into a playlist. If you play them in numerical order, that is how they arrange in the playlist.

Not necessarily. On (Windows) iTunes, playlists will play in the order of whichever sorting column is being used, whether Track Number, Release Date (good for podcasts), Song Name, etc.

For example, I sort podcasts by release date. If I switch it from ascending to descending, it'll play the newest one first (which is annoying for multi-part podcasts). In a playlist, It'll play according to how it's sorted, top to bottom. If you manually switch the songs around, it will play them in the order you leave them.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 1, 2012

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

So for starting are there any recommendation for good audiobooks/narrators?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Here's a small sample of narrators I like:

Scott Brick - Michael Pollan, Mark Kurlanski, Orson Scott Card, Dune franchise, various baseball/finance/other books
Stefan Rudnicki - Orson Scott Card, erotica, a poo poo-ton of other books
James Marsters ("Spike" from Buffy) - Dresden Files novels
Steven Pacey - Joe Abercrombie books (this guy is loving incredible)
Christian Rodska - Churchill's histories of WWII/English Speaking Peoples
Michael Kramer - Brandon Sanderson novels

More:
Sean Runnette, Jesse Boggs, Coleen Marlo, Stephen Hoye, John H. Mayer, Kirby Heyborn, Paul Boehmer, Paul Thornley, Joe Barrett.

My recommendation is to start with books you like, then checking what else the authour/narrator has done, in a "Six Degrees of Seperation" kind of thing. And being able to mouse-over a title to check book blurbs is a God-send. Way faster than just browsing at a B&M. The wish list also makes a good "check back later/maybe column" when scrolling through entire genres just to see what exists. I don't recommend that unless you're terminally bored at your monitor, though. Thankfully, Audible has a lot of filters, be it price levels, abridged/unabridged, languages, length, sub-genre, etc.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 2, 2012

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks Macys, I'll see if they do a book I want to read.
I know some authors do narration themselves, are those any good or is it better to just go with pros?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Uncommon. Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman is the only audio book I've listened to that was done by the author. Thought he did a good job.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Not sure but I've heard Stephen King has done some. I would listen to a Colbert book if he did himself.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Ulio posted:

Not sure but I've heard Stephen King has done some. I would listen to a Colbert book if he did himself.

He did, actually. The audio version of I Am America (And So Can You!) is read by Colbert (with a few others) and is pretty great.

In a similar vein, you might also like Hodgman's The Areas Of My Expertise and its sequels, and Bruce Campbell's books, also read by the respective authors.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nicee, totally gonna get that, that should be a pleasant experience.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ulio posted:

I know some authors do narration themselves, are those any good or is it better to just go with pros?

I'd listen to the samples, but Gaiman, Scott Card, Colbert, Michael Pollan are alright.
I don't have many though. The authours are typically too busy.

Other ones I have:
Schwarzenegger (Prologue & Epilogue only)
John Hofmeister (ex-pres of Shell)
Yahtzee Croshaw (don't get the audible book. unlike his Escapist vids, he's near lifeless. The stories themselves are quite good, in an A. Lee Martinez way)
Jeremy Wade (River Monsters tv series)
Richard P. Feynman

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 2, 2012

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

Here's a small sample of narrators I like:

Scott Brick - Michael Pollan, Mark Kurlanski, Orson Scott Card, Dune franchise,

Brick does an awesome job on Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books too.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
There's a wonderful full cast version of His Dark Materials narrated by Philip Pullman. Guy has a fantastic voice for it.

Since you mentioned Scott Brick, too, he does a nice reading of Foundation by Asimov.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
I realize I must be in the minority, but I really dislike Scott Brick. Something about his tone of voice makes me space out and I have a really hard time following his narration.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'd say it depends on the book.
Dune is a great sci-fi story, but I don't think even Morgan Freeman can make it sound as good as it reads.

If you want Brick at his dramatic best, try "Ender's Shadow", and Harry Markopolos' book "No One Would Listen: A True Financial Thriller" on the Madoff scam/SEC's incompetence.
I also like "Emperors and Idiots: The Hundred Year Rivalry Between the Yankees and The Red Sox", though that may be due to the expert pacing and building of tension.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 3, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ulio posted:

William Gibson's self-reading of Neuromancer was remarkably poorly panned when it first came out, and has caused me to read all of his poo poo in an even worse monotone.

Affably Evil
Nov 10, 2012

Kojiro posted:

There's a wonderful full cast version of His Dark Materials narrated by Philip Pullman. Guy has a fantastic voice for it.

The full cast version of His Dark Materials is AMAZING. I've listened to them more times than I can count, ever since my parents played them in the car on long road trips. If anyone is interested in play-like adaptations, I can't recommend these enough.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Borh posted:

I realize I must be in the minority, but I really dislike Scott Brick. Something about his tone of voice makes me space out and I have a really hard time following his narration.

The thing I don't like about him is the sense that every line is super important. Other then that he does a pretty good job.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Strange Matter and anyone else who has read The Quantum Thief on audio: how was it? I've skimmed the book at stores and it looks like something I have to read, but I get the impression it would be one of those books like Anathem or The Malazan Books of the Fallen that throw you in the deep end and expect you to start swimming. Those tend not to be well-suited to a format where you can't easily re-read a section or flip to the glossary to figure out what's going on.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kestral posted:

Strange Matter and anyone else who has read The Quantum Thief on audio: how was it? I've skimmed the book at stores and it looks like something I have to read, but I get the impression it would be one of those books like Anathem or The Malazan Books of the Fallen that throw you in the deep end and expect you to start swimming. Those tend not to be well-suited to a format where you can't easily re-read a section or flip to the glossary to figure out what's going on.
I listened to the audiobook and it was mostly fine but there were a few parts that were confusing or where I had trouble keeping the characters straight but it was mostly fine. I found the made-up technology less of an issue than some parts just being sort of unclear, actually. It would have helped to be able to flip back but I found that if I just kept listening it became self-explanatory anyway. Overall I'd recommend it as long as you don't mind being temporarily confused occasionally (honestly I don't know if the audiobok format even contributed to the confusion anyway).

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Can anyone recommend me something to listen to on Audible that's anything like Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch or similar? After something easy enough to listen to while I'm getting some work done, preferably with a bit of humour. I'm piling through the Dresden Files for the second time, but I'll be out of that soon and I'm not sure where to go next!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kojiro posted:

Can anyone recommend me something to listen to on Audible that's anything like Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch or similar? After something easy enough to listen to while I'm getting some work done, preferably with a bit of humour. I'm piling through the Dresden Files for the second time, but I'll be out of that soon and I'm not sure where to go next!

Hmm...

Try A. Lee Martinez (Sci-Fi & Fantasy). He's got the humour, but not the depth (or profanity) of Abercrombie.
All of his novels are stand-alone. More of an American Terry Pratchett, except he doesn't just write about Discworld.

I believe I've got eight out of his nine (ten next year) novels: three in audio, four on my Kindle, and one hardcover on clearance.

Also, I've had this on my wish list for a while now.
In RPG terms, it sounds like Rifts meets Cyberpunk, minus Rifts' complete societal apocalypse.
I'm still not sure if I want to try it or not.
And then there's this.
Haven't tried it either.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 11, 2012

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Kestral posted:

I'm not finished with it yet but I've been really digging it. Like mystes said it's a bit tricky to follow along, but with the way that the narrative jumps perspectives and doesn't explain jack, it would be kind of difficult no matter what. I find the first person narration bits from Jean himself to be extremely compelling, however, and the narrator, whose name escapes me right now, has a really smooth voice that I can't get enough of.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
If you're even remotely interested in the Wool omnibus, you really should get the audiobook. It's on Audible and the reader is fantastic.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ulio posted:

So for starting are there any recommendation for good audiobooks/narrators?

I really like Nick Podehl.

The first book I heard him do was "This Book Is Full Of Spiders" which I loved (by David Wong). I checked out Wong's previous book, "John Dies at The End" which had the same characters in a previous horror story, but a different narrator, and it wasn't as fun.

I just got another book narrated by him that I'm listening to - it's another end-of-the-world horror zombie thing, and his voice and his narration is so great. (The Beginning Of The End: Apocalypse Z).

Another one that surprised me was Fisher Stevens - an actor from a lot of cheese 80's flicks. He narrated A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore and it was awesome.

HUMAN FISH posted:

If you're even remotely interested in the Wool omnibus, you really should get the audiobook. It's on Audible and the reader is fantastic.

I was checking that one out yesterday, but almost every review bashes the narrator, Minnie Goode. Most comments said her character voices were too distracting from the story - like either she went way too far out there, or just plain sucked at them? I don't know.

The reviews tend to love the story, love the writing, but can't stand her voice. I'm not exaggerating:
http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B00904FYUI&qid=1355262746&sr=1-1

"0" Star Performance"
Would you try another book from Hugh Howey and/or Minnie Goode?
Never, ever, EVER from Minnie Goodie.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 11, 2012

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

magnificent7 posted:

I really like Nick Podehl.

The first book I heard him do was "This Book Is Full Of Spiders" which I loved (by David Wong). I checked out Wong's previous book, "John Dies at The End" which had the same characters in a previous horror story, but a different narrator, and it wasn't as fun.
I gave up on John Dies At the End about halfway through, partly because I didn't really find it that compelling, but mostly because the narrator really rubbed me the wrong way. He seemed to be too far in on the joke and nothing he said had any gravitas.

Prophaniti
Oct 2, 2008

Do you lie awake at night fearing my gash?
Taking my newborn out for long walks is begging for audiobooks. I found the shortstory Thanasphere by Kurt Vonnegut which wasn´t bad and after that Wintersmith by Terry Prattchet performed by Steven Briggs, which is nothing short of amazing. His naration is great, his voices fit the world of discworld perfectly. I several times walked around my town with a wide grin on my face and laughed at complete strangers.

Living in cold old scandinavia, would Audible.com work for me or is it US only?

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I've heard people have issues in the UK and Australia but that was due to specific books not being available in their region due to licensing issues.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Clinton1011 posted:

I've heard people have issues in the UK and Australia but that was due to specific books not being available in their region due to licensing issues.

I have that living in Korea, its really annoying.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
Books 1-11 of the Wheel of Time (read by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading), all the Hitchhikers guide books (read by Stephen Fry) and the Cryptonomicon (read by Scott Brick) have all had great readers.

Catch 22 read by Jim Weiss is awful, I like the book but the reader is horrible.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Prophaniti posted:

Taking my newborn out for long walks is begging for audiobooks. I found the shortstory Thanasphere by Kurt Vonnegut which wasn´t bad and after that Wintersmith by Terry Prattchet performed by Steven Briggs, which is nothing short of amazing. His naration is great, his voices fit the world of discworld perfectly. I several times walked around my town with a wide grin on my face and laughed at complete strangers.

Living in cold old scandinavia, would Audible.com work for me or is it US only?
They're owned by AMazon, so depends on how your experience is with kindle, etc, imho.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Just finished the first Mistborn book, Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Plot was pretty basic and while there were twists, thought they were predictable. Also found aspects of the book to be repetitive. Magic system is super cool though.

Don't know who the reader was but I hated one of this voices. Total hard boiled detective thing and it felt real out of place in a fantasy story. The rest of the voices were good though.

All that said, I was totally hooked to this story and couldn't stop. Looking forward to listening to the rest of the series.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I wasn't nearly as impressed with the rest of the series, after a while you get awful tired of pages-long descriptions of jumping around by flicking coins.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, that was repetitive. Author was also not very creative in expressing Vin's trust issues. Same lines over and over again. Reminded me of Robert Jordan, which is fitting.

Fun story though. Like I said, was hooked.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I enjoyed that series. If you liked the first book, I would definitely recommend finishing the series. The story remained interesting, and the repetitive bits didn't get any more repetitive (but didn't go away either.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I dunno, I had a hard time remaining engaged in the second book due to the lack of a certain character who provided a lot of personality for me. I kind of lost interest and wandered away from the series, I think halfway or 2/3 through the third book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I really like the Mistborn books, seriously a lot. Though I never recall anything about book 2, and I had the ending of book 3 figured out by the middle of book 2 :/ Or atleast the important bits of it.