Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
I am so excited with nv updates sprints putting out. Im seeing more and more places in the LA Metro Area, Inglewood, Eagle rock and some other spots with 4g speeds hitting 2mbits -21mbits, and with better building penetration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Getimmaaw posted:

I am so excited with nv updates sprints putting out. Im seeing more and more places in the LA Metro Area, Inglewood, Eagle rock and some other spots with 4g speeds hitting 2mbits -21mbits, and with better building penetration.

Oh how I wish Sprint had 4G in San Diego.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm my experience the 3D does not have the best signal. I had the 3D and a Nexus S side by side for months and the nexus always got better signal.

Pretty sure all current smartphones at this point have the Nextel frequency in them (besides the iPhone), but you can confirm individually on phonescoop.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Getimmaaw posted:

Thank god, my sister lives in Hollywood and was about ready to throw her iPhone 5 out the window for a while because of the poo poo speeds. My dream is to have signal at all in my office at work :allears:

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
iPhone 5 supports 800 SMR so all of Sprint's current phones have it. It has only been certified on CDMA voice but that's all that will be rolled out by Sprint at first anyway. Technically it supports LTE, HPSA, etc on any frequency the hardware supports so we are hoping for a carrier file update once Sprint has LTE live on that band. It won't be that fast - it's only a 3 MHz LTE channel, but it will mean being able to get data even inside buildings and elevators.

Approximately 380 updated sites today in: SF Bay (43), Chicago (42), PR/VI (38), LA Metro (36), Atlanta/Athens (25), Washington DC (22), Boston (21), New York City (20), San Diego (12), Austin (11), Georgia (11), Baltimore (10), DFW (10), Indianapolis (10), Kansas (9), South Bay (8), Miami/West Palm (7), San Antonio (5), Charlotte (4), Minnesota (4), Philadelphia Metro (4), Delaware (3), Houston (3), Jacksonville (3), Nashville (3), Orlando (3), Southern Jersey (3), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (2), Central Jersey (1), Memphis (1), Northern Jersey (1), North LA (1), Raleigh/Durham (1), Riverside/San Bernardino (1), Tampa (1), Upstate NY East (1)

A couple of completion percentages:
Atlanta 45%
Houston 39%
Dallas 28%
Baltimore 51%
Boston 37%
Chicago 72%
LA 24%
NYC 15%
SF 18%
Austin 14%

As always, more at s4gru.com

Simulated fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 10, 2012

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
LA's rollout has been pretty good for me so far. I've been getting pretty consistent LTE near my apartment (even inside!) and down at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion last night it was pretty solid as well. Pretty much everywhere I go on a regular basis has it now, except near work - according to the NV sites complete map there's still a sizable black hole in NW Glendale. :(

Speeds in good coverage areas are generally averaging around 10 Mbps, which I can live with. I hope they get a good bit faster just because, but realistically its enough to do 90% of what I want to when I'm out.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I'm tired of dropped calls in my apartment and am looking at that Airrave number in the OP. Do they work with you if you're on SERO or is the freebie offer only available to EPRP/full price plans?

It probably doesn't help that I waited too long and am now past my 14 day return policy (bought my new phone on Black Friday)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ryanbruce posted:

I'm tired of dropped calls in my apartment and am looking at that Airrave number in the OP. Do they work with you if you're on SERO or is the freebie offer only available to EPRP/full price plans?

It probably doesn't help that I waited too long and am now past my 14 day return policy (bought my new phone on Black Friday)

My sister called employee care as someone suggested earlier in the thread to me, they gave her zero push back.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I used to use an iPhone 4S on Sprint, but we moved over to Verizon. The apple site says that Sprint allows unlocking, but how do I go through that process? Do I go to the apple store or the Sprint store? Will they charge me an arm and a leg?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

marchantia posted:

I used to use an iPhone 4S on Sprint, but we moved over to Verizon. The apple site says that Sprint allows unlocking, but how do I go through that process? Do I go to the apple store or the Sprint store? Will they charge me an arm and a leg?
Even if you unlock it, Verizon won't activate it. The most you'd be able to do is put a GSM SIM in it.

And your best bet is to try Care to see if they'll give you the code, the stores can't.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

TVs Ian posted:

Even if you unlock it, Verizon won't activate it. The most you'd be able to do is put a GSM SIM in it.

And your best bet is to try Care to see if they'll give you the code, the stores can't.

I got a new phone on Verizon, I'm looking to sell this phone and a potential buyer was curious if it could be "unlocked". Is there a way to use it on AT+T or is it the same process as unlocking to use on Verizon? Sorry, this is completely Greek to me.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

marchantia posted:

I got a new phone on Verizon, I'm looking to sell this phone and a potential buyer was curious if it could be "unlocked". Is there a way to use it on AT+T or is it the same process as unlocking to use on Verizon? Sorry, this is completely Greek to me.

If you left in good standing then Sprint should unlock it for you. Once unlocked, it will work with any GSM carrier.

Just FYI, there is no technical reason it won't work on Verizon either. That's Verizon's own anti-competitive business decision to refuse to activate any CDMA device not pre-approved in their database.

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005
I'm looking to pick up a Sprint phone for my cousin for Christmas, but I'm used to dealing with GSM phones and I'm freaked out by all the "bad ESN" phones I'm seeing for sale on Craigslist.

Could I conceivably buy a phone with a clean ESN from a person, who then promptly stops paying their bill, and the phone ends up with a bad ESN and rendered unusable after the fact?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I'm thinking of switching to Sprint and getting an iPhone 5 to replace my 4 on AT&T so I can get unlimited data. A friend of mine got a 15% discount on his plan by showing his student ID when purchasing in a Sprint Store and asking the employee. Can I do that and also do the Employee Referral Plan discount that's listed in the OP or can I not combine discounts.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 10, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ender.uNF posted:

If you left in good standing then Sprint should unlock it for you. Once unlocked, it will work with any GSM carrier.

Just FYI, there is no technical reason it won't work on Verizon either. That's Verizon's own anti-competitive business decision to refuse to activate any CDMA device not pre-approved in their database.

Last I checked sprint will unlock it for international use but that's it. That wasn't exactly my department though.

Frinkahedron posted:

I'm thinking of switching to Sprint and getting an iPhone 5 to replace my 4 on AT&T so I can get unlimited data. A friend of mine got a 15% discount on his plan by showing his student ID when purchasing in a Sprint Store and asking the employee. Can I do that and also do the Employee Referral Plan discount that's listed in the OP or can I not combine discounts.

Make sure you are in a good coverage area first (as in LTE) as sprint speeds are awful right now. It's definitely something to research and consider, but unlimited data is way less useful when you can't use it.

You cannot combine discounts. 15% is about equal to EPRP, personally I would recommend EPRP unless you are set on buying a phone through best buy or something.

You should also get a student discount on AT&T and Verizon?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 11, 2012

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Duckman2008 posted:

Make sure you are in a good coverage area first (as in LTE) as sprint speeds are awful right now. It's definitely something to research and consider, but unlimited data is way less useful when you can't use it.

You cannot combine discounts. 15% is about equal to EPRP, personally I would recommend EPRP unless you are set on buying a phone through best buy or something.

You should also get a student discount on AT&T and Verizon?

I'm on my parents family plan right now, so no student discount there. Since I'm going to be graduating soon, getting off their plan, and most likely moving to a more metropolitan area (DC or LA) I figured unlimited data was a good reason to get away from AT&T. Two of my lab mates have sprint iPhones right now and they both say their coverage is fine for this area so I'm not worried about that before moving.

I guess another question, do I have to get myself listed as an authorized person on my parents AT&T account to switch the phone number to a sprint one or can that be done without any special hoops to jump through on my end?

Thanks for the help :)

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Duckman2008 posted:

Last I checked sprint will unlock it for international use but that's it. That wasn't exactly my department though.

Yup. Since we already ended our contract I can't really bullshit my way into it. OH WELL

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Ender.uNF posted:

...Approximately 380 updated sites today in:...

As always, more at s4gru.com
I can't remember, are you a Sprint employee/contractor, or are you just relaying information from s4gru.com since you're a paid member over there? Either way, thanks.

Do you know what region/territory they're grouping Scranton, (Northeast)PA into? I'd love to have a time-frame for NV improvements in my region. It could easily be included in Philly, Poconos, North Jersey, etc.

marchantia posted:

I think you were given erroneous information. Sprint's policy for iPhone 4S has been to unlock it for foreign SIMs for international travel. This prevents it from working with AT&T and T-Mobile. If you have a launch date 4S, if I remember correctly, it came completely SIM-unlocked. There was a press release saying they'd push an update to re-lock them, but I don't think they did due to media backlash.

Frinkahedron posted:

It's ~50¢ cheaper to get the individual 450 minute/data retail plan than the EPRP 500 plan. Get a retail plan so you can purchase at Amazon, Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. They're usually cheaper than Sprint stores and website. If you're looking at sharing a family plan, the saving will be greater with EPRP.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

goku chewbacca posted:

I can't remember, are you a Sprint employee/contractor, or are you just relaying information from s4gru.com since you're a paid member over there? Either way, thanks.

Just a member there.

Duckman2008 posted:

My bad, I thought you could get them to unlock it entirely. It's bullshit and if we had a functioning government they would sue the carriers for refusing to unlock once your contract is fulfilled.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Frinkahedron posted:

I'm on my parents family plan right now, so no student discount there. Since I'm going to be graduating soon, getting off their plan, and most likely moving to a more metropolitan area (DC or LA) I figured unlimited data was a good reason to get away from AT&T. Two of my lab mates have sprint iPhones right now and they both say their coverage is fine for this area so I'm not worried about that before moving.

I guess another question, do I have to get myself listed as an authorized person on my parents AT&T account to switch the phone number to a sprint one or can that be done without any special hoops to jump through on my end?

Thanks for the help :)

All you need to switch is the account number, account holder name, address, social and password if they have one. So as long as your parents give you the info you are fine.

goku chewbacca posted:

Do you know what region/territory they're grouping Scranton, (Northeast)PA into? I'd love to have a time-frame for NV improvements in my region. It could easily be included in Philly, Poconos, North Jersey, etc.

I think you were given erroneous information. Sprint's policy for iPhone 4S has been to unlock it for foreign SIMs for international travel. This prevents it from working with AT&T and T-Mobile. If you have a launch date 4S, if I remember correctly, it came completely SIM-unlocked. There was a press release saying they'd push an update to re-lock them, but I don't think they did due to media backlash.

It's ~50¢ cheaper to get the individual 450 minute/data retail plan than the EPRP 500 plan. Get a retail plan so you can purchase at Amazon, Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. They're usually cheaper than Sprint stores and website. If you're looking at sharing a family plan, the saving will be greater with EPRP.

Pennsylvania is weird for Sprint. Last I checked we were hoping for LTE to launch in Philly by end of the year, but obviously that didn't happen and they are being pretty slow around here. But Harrisburg of all places got LTE a week or so back. Honesty Scranton, Wilkes and the Lehigh Valley are likely lower on Sprints list, so until you see a tower or two go up, I wouldn't bet on anytime soon.

Ender.uNF posted:

My bad, I thought you could get them to unlock it entirely. It's bullshit and if we had a functioning government they would sue the carriers for refusing to unlock once your contract is fulfilled.

Ha yeah, it's quite sad man. Ironically this is one of the least lovely things carriers do :)

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 11, 2012

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What I think is interesting is Pittsburgh was one of the early Wimax markets, but it's not even on the roadmap yet for LTE.

Both Verizon and AT&T have fantastic LTE networks in the area and T-Mobile even has pretty decent HSPA+ coverage as long as you stay in Allegheny county.

I know a lot of people that jumped to a smartphone in 2009-2010 and they went with sprint due to the price and the fact that they had the first 4g network in the area. One by one they are all switching to AT&T or Verizon because they are tired of sub 1Mbps 3g speeds and 4G speeds that MAYBE hit 4Mbps if you are outside. They all know that if they were to upgrade their device they would lose what little 4G they have, so everyone is jumping ship.

I would think it would be in Sprint's interest to have all wimax markets covered in LTE within 2 years of wimax deployment data. Otherwise you are going to have people coming off contract and being asked to downgrade their service if they want a new device.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 11, 2012

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Scranton is the Central PA market and hasn't started yet far as I can tell. Pittsburgh and Philly are their own respective markets.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

goku chewbacca posted:

I see this question has been answered already, but just in case anyone else has the same question, I think this network map is accurate as to which region you're in:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/gallery/image/156-nationwide-sprint-market-map-medium/

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My GS3 doesn't receive text messages or notifications of Gmail, etc. when I'm on WiFi. If I turn WiFi off they fly in. How do I fix that?

docputer
Jul 11, 2001
the other white meat
Some dummy that looked like me(okay, it was me) got 3 lines of service on a Shared Everything Data Plan, then as I was fading off to sleep last night, I thought of this thread and the Employee Referral program.
Is there anyway to convert my plan or am I screwed? I got the handsets yesterday and activated them.

Thanks in advance for any opinion on this.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

You're screwed. There is no way to convert your plan to an EPRP plan.

edit: The good news is that EPRP is only like a 15% discount, so that's easily matchable by stuff like your employer or credit union or AAA or something. Look into it! And you can take advantage of awesome phone deals at places like Amazon Wireless and Best Buy.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 12, 2012

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

But you could return them in your 14 day window, close the account, and sign up for EPRP. This is complicated greatly if you have already ported your numbers onto the new phones, and probably not worth the hassle in that case.

docputer
Jul 11, 2001
the other white meat
Thanks for the responses. The problem with impulse buys...
I will have to see if there is some discount I qualify for.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Woke up this morning, forgot I had wifi off, saw my phone say LTE at the top. Unfortunately I was too quick at turning on the wifi. Haven't seen it light up LTE again. On the way to work driving through some rural areas I do pick up LTE but I'm not going to start in the middle of the road to test it.

For reference I live in Delaware about 20 minutes from Ocean City, MD.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If I get an air rave, can I move it around, or is it locked to one location?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

If I get an air rave, can I move it around, or is it locked to one location?

You can move it anywhere, anytime no notice.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Per what the CSR said, as long as there's activity on the unit you're fine. If they detect that you're not using it, you're subject to some huge penalty ($150 I think?) if you don't send it back.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pretty sure the answer to this is "you're hosed", but..

According to Sprint, my current handset was purchased at full price, unsubsidized. I'm a month behind on my bill, and my new N4 arrives tomorrow. I was planning to sell my Galaxy Nexus and use the money to pay off my Sprint bill.

I assume that even though Sprint's records show I paid full price for the handset, and I'm long out of contract, that they'll still block the ESN until the account is paid in full, correct?

I'm not in collections, and the line hasn't been disconnected, but it's going to take me a few weeks to pay it off (the N4 was a gift, but yay for sub-minimum wage tipped jobs).

Also, will Sprint block me from porting my number if I'm a month behind on the bill?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

some texas redneck posted:

Pretty sure the answer to this is "you're hosed", but..

According to Sprint, my current handset was purchased at full price, unsubsidized. I'm a month behind on my bill, and my new N4 arrives tomorrow. I was planning to sell my Galaxy Nexus and use the money to pay off my Sprint bill.

I assume that even though Sprint's records show I paid full price for the handset, and I'm long out of contract, that they'll still block the ESN until the account is paid in full, correct?

I'm not in collections, and the line hasn't been disconnected, but it's going to take me a few weeks to pay it off (the N4 was a gift, but yay for sub-minimum wage tipped jobs).

Also, will Sprint block me from porting my number if I'm a month behind on the bill?

As long as you are not turned off you can def still switch your number.

Do yourself a favor, get a flip phone somewhere and toss that on your account so you can safely sell the galaxy.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Aannnndddddd ba-boom. Sprint offers to acquire ClearWire. The SoftBank cash horde is already being put to use.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Ender.uNF posted:

Aannnndddddd ba-boom. Sprint offers to acquire ClearWire. The SoftBank cash horde is already being put to use.

What's the point of doing that? I thought Clearwire only had a wimax network. Or do they own some spectrum that Sprint wants?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlyingCheese posted:

What's the point of doing that? I thought Clearwire only had a wimax network. Or do they own some spectrum that Sprint wants?

Almost certainly spectrum.

Citizen Zee
Aug 25, 2004
It was music first, jerk.
I'm probably going to be switching from AT&T to Sprint in the next week to save some money and upgrade to a smartphone. Two questions: I'm too poor for the Galaxy S3 so it's between the free S2 or Nexus you get by being a new customer, what's the best way to go? And are there any e-mail/employee codes floating around for the referral program?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The only reason I can think of to get an S2 is if you live someplace that's strong on WiMax and weak on LTE. Otherwise, go Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

The Entire Universe posted:

Almost certainly spectrum.

Spectrum that is pretty much unusable for most cities. I don't understand this at all. Is sprint seriously going to put out the infrastructure? It'll take like 4-5x the amount of towers to match verizon's 700 MHz ability. If Sprint actually did this, they would be amazing and have a huge amount of bandwidth available.... but....

TLG James fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 13, 2012