Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I think it's far more likely a suit will look at the most successful shows on TV and ask for a version of one to be set in space.

House MD in space. It's essentially the same thing, but all the diseases are bizarre made-up alien nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Supercar Gautier posted:

House MD in space. It's essentially the same thing, but all the diseases are bizarre made-up alien nonsense.

How horrible would a 'Walking Dead in Space' show be?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Hewlett posted:

The Walking Dead's problems have more to do with execution than the basic premise, so either way really.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Hence, I'm sure "game of thrones in space" is coming sooner or later.

Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So am I an alpha-grade sperglord if the idea of the Enterprise being able to chill underwater like it's no big deal bothers the fuckin PISS out of me?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hewlett posted:

Isn't that basically Firefly but with more Reavers?

AlternateAccount posted:

So am I an alpha-grade sperglord if the idea of the Enterprise being able to chill underwater like it's no big deal bothers the fuckin PISS out of me?

Yes.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It bothers me, too.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
All I can think of is the scene in Futurama where their ship's being dragged underwater.

"Five thousand feet! That's over one hundred and fifty atmospheres of pressure!"
"How many atmospheres can this ship withstand?"
"Well, it's a spaceship, so anywhere between zero and one."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
In TOS the Enterprise survived nuclear explosions. So I don't think water pressure would be an insurmountable obstacle for their engineering skills.

Kind of like how taking off from the ground probably isn't a big deal when you can warp space-time to move at multiples of the speed of light.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

It's also a reference to the USO (unidentified submerged object) phenomenon. All those UFOs that are currently monitoring earth often chill out and hide in the ocean, didn't ya know?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

If they don't dip into the water every once in a while, how else are they going to fill up their engineering/comic relief tubes in the brewery section of the ship?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Eh, Trek at least pretends to be grounded in reality, even if it then bullshits up some new law of physics to explain things. Regardless, there's only so much stress the structure of those things can take, even with a ton of power pouring into the integrity fields. Nacelles should shear clean off the mounts, the neck of the saucer would collapse... even the Constitution(Lensflair) with its thicker, scalloped mounts and struts would tear apart once removed from space.

If structural integrity fields are so good, the ship should never get damaged. But it does, so there's limits to how far it can hold the ship together.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If structural integrity fields are so good, the ship should never get damaged. But it does, so there's limits to how far it can hold the ship together.
If it can escape a black hole (mostly) undamaged I think a little water would be okay.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
They just realigned the deflector, like always.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I know it's important to establish a firm sense of what's possible and avoid making your audience take too many leaps of faith in too many directions, but "A spaceship can't go in water!" is a strange thing to point to as being in any way egregious.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

sean10mm posted:

In TOS the Enterprise survived nuclear explosions. So I don't think water pressure would be an insurmountable obstacle for their engineering skills.

Kind of like how taking off from the ground probably isn't a big deal when you can warp space-time to move at multiples of the speed of light.
Also, the whole point of a deflector shield is to prevent the ship from imploding in on itself.
EDIT:
No seriously the whole point of deflector shields is to handwave the fact that even traveling in space a tiny particle traveling really fast is enough to blow the ship into pieces.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 10, 2012

BulletRiddled
Jun 1, 2004

I survived Disaster Movie and all I got was this poorly cropped avatar

That ship's been hit with half a dozen missiles every week for 50 years, it can handle a little bit of water. It's pretty sturdy.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
All right then, the hand behind glass is Cumberbatch.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

I know it's important to establish a firm sense of what's possible and avoid making your audience take too many leaps of faith in too many directions, but "A spaceship can't go in water!" is a strange thing to point to as being in any way egregious.

I can accept Enterprise is capable of surviving spacey stuff. But terrestrial stuff, eh, to me that's pushing it.

It's like how I could accept that Kirk was nailing an Orion woman at the Academy, but I completely lost my poo poo over the idea that Spock was nailing Uhura. Sorry, suspension of disbelief lost, error error, destroy all cryosleep systems.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Aatrek posted:

He's wearing a Starfleet uniform. Had there been any official word that he'd be playing a Starfleet officer before now?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Aatrek posted:

Hey, now, shouldn't the brig have a force field?! What is this? Did they make it some futuristic transparent-aluminum like material just so they could have a scene where they put their hands on the glass? :(

speng31b
May 8, 2010

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

He's wearing a Starfleet uniform. Had there been any official word that he'd be playing a Starfleet officer before now?

Yeah, the trailer released last week showed a bit of him in uniform.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I can literally tune my nerd ears to the sperg frequency and hear some poor lord whining "COULD STILL BE KHAN COULD STILL BE KHAN"

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Force fields jails are dumb idea anyways, just like the force field window in First Contact. Soon as the power's knocked out you'll have every yahoo running rampant around the ship in an already stressed situation.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The deflectors survive weapon hits measured in megatons. Meanwhile we've been building subs with our lovely technology for over a century.

This argument isn't even "good" sperging.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

korusan posted:

Force fields jails are dumb idea anyways, just like the force field window in First Contact. Soon as the power's knocked out you'll have every yahoo running rampant around the ship in an already stressed situation.

I know, that's what's great about them. How else would Gul Dukat have escaped when he was being transported to earth for his trial?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

sean10mm posted:

The deflectors survive weapon hits measured in megatons. Meanwhile we've been building subs with our lovely technology for over a century.

I believe he meant the main deflector array, not the shield system. As everyone knows, the main deflector array can be reconfigured to do just about anything.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Only if you reverse the polarity of the neutron flow, then tech the tech so we can tech tech the tech while we tech.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

I can accept Enterprise is capable of surviving spacey stuff. But terrestrial stuff, eh, to me that's pushing it.
It's a ship that can handle the stress of accelerating to FTL speeds without falling apart, why do you think a little water pressure would be too much for it?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Dudes, the Enterprise will rust and stuff and then Scotty will have to fix all that and won't have time to drink green stuff and get framed for murder. THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I think it's far more likely a suit will look at the most successful shows on TV and ask for a version of one to be set in space. Hence, I'm sure "game of thrones in space" is coming sooner or later.

I believe this is called "Dune" in most civilized parts of the world.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LitigiousChimp posted:

It's a ship that can handle the stress of accelerating to FTL speeds without falling apart, why do you think a little water pressure would be too much for it?

Sperg Answer: The Deflector Array basically makes the Enterprise shielded in a bubble, so the answer to your question is "water pressure shouldn't be an issue at all, provided the Deflector Array is still working."

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Only if you reverse the polarity of the neutron flow, then tech the tech so we can tech tech the tech while we tech.

One of my favorite parts of Star Trek is how sometimes an entire episode can revolve around the technical details of how they'll solve a problem but in the movies sometimes it just comes down to "Recreate the vortex." such as in First Contact.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Some Other Guy posted:

One of my favorite parts of Star Trek is how sometimes an entire episode can revolve around the technical details of how they'll solve a problem but in the movies sometimes it just comes down to "Recreate the vortex." such as in First Contact.

It still irritates me how lazy the First Contact script is. Wait, who am I kidding? All of the TNG movie scripts were lazy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AlternateAccount posted:

If you are ever bothered by anything at all in a space movie, you are a sperglord. :dealwithit:

Downward Spiral
Nov 25, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sean10mm posted:

To replicate a liter-of-cola would take an energy output of approximately 9*10^16 J, that is 90 Petajoules. That is more than one thousand-fold greater than the yield of the Fat Man.

One would assume that phaser fire makes even that kind of energy output look miniscule. I mean, I'm no expert on warfare, but it's probably a tad more vicious than lunch. The hulls that withstand this sort of abuse (and house the reactors to do all of it) are probably not too worried about a few Megapascals in pressure.

Real answer: Star Trek is all about the serious realism, how dare you.

Downward Spiral fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 10, 2012

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Some Other Guy posted:

Hey, now, shouldn't the brig have a force field?! What is this? Did they make it some futuristic transparent-aluminum like material just so they could have a scene where they put their hands on the glass? :(

Where does he poop? :ohdear:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Zoe posted:

Where does anyone in Star Trek poop? There's not a single toilet anywhere in any of the series. I think there's only one toilet on the entire Enterprise D. My theory is that in the future we have evolved beyond pooping via technological means.

Hey if you can just take a dialysis pill, why not?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Zoe posted:

Out the airlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Downward Spiral posted:

To replicate a liter-of-cola would take an energy output of approximately 9*10^16 J, that is 90 Petajoules. That is more than one thousand-fold greater than the yield of the Fat Man.

Replicators aren't direct energy-matter conversion, it's transporter trickery assembling molecules and poo poo from tanks full of matter and nobody knows how much energy a transporter takes.

• Locked thread