Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

What is a good place to do co-op if I'm SL68?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You could try leaving your sign by the fog doors of 4K or Manus I suppose.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Co-op is pretty much dead before the pvp hotspot at SL100, isn't it? That's too bad, I'd like to be able to swap around between the two.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Not sure what you mean.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I've seen plenty of signs in the Parish, Depths, and Anor Londo in the past few weeks.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paracelsus posted:

I've seen plenty of signs in the Parish, Depths, and Anor Londo in the past few weeks.

Blighttown still has co-op as well. It's after O+S that stuff kinda falls off. I don't co-op much beyond that point myself but I get the impression that you can find DLC co-op around 50-55.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Blighttown still has co-op as well. It's after O+S that stuff kinda falls off. I don't co-op much beyond that point myself but I get the impression that you can find DLC co-op around 50-55.

I haven't done any for a few days now, but I was finding DLC co-op pretty easily at 78 as a sunbro for Artorias, Manus and Kalameet. Also didn't have much trouble getting hits for Gwyn at the same level.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's surprising to hear. Cool, though. Especially that people apparently co-op for Gwyn...?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I've tried sunbroing gwyn at level 100 and 80 and had some success at 80. Artorias/Kalameet at 80 is about as busy as O&S at 50.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I never thought to sunbro in the dlc content. Seems like having a buddy would ruin most of those fights.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Having a buddy "ruins" every fight in the game, if by ruin you mean "makes it easy", but it's still fun. Kalameet in particular is probably the funnest boss in the game. It's also probably the fight that keeps it's difficulty in co-op the most.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

That's surprising to hear. Cool, though. Especially that people apparently co-op for Gwyn...?

Gwyn is loving hard :colbert:
If you're terrible at parrying (like me :saddowns:)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Use a caestus in your left hand. Bare fist might work as well.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah but then you have to parry everything and I can't react fast enough to parry his quick slash unless I anticipate it, and if I anticipate quick slashes he'd throw a slow one, I'd parry too soon, and his slow combo (that I'm pretty sure can't be escaped) would gib me from full hp, even with 40 vit. He got SUPER easy once I switched to a Dragon Crest Shield and just ate all his quick slashes on my shield and parried his predictable followup.

Don't get me wrong, Gwyn is an easy, easy boss now, but he gave me about three hours of hell before I finally got it into my head that I shouldn't even bother trying to parry his quick slashes. He's the most :darksouls: boss in the game for me cause everyone else seems to have had such an easy time with him and he hammered my rear end mercilessly for hours.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Next time fight him without parrying at all, he's actually a fun boss if you don't.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TastyAvocado posted:

Next time fight him without parrying at all, he's actually a fun boss if you don't.

You also have to not use pyromancy :(

Why did they make Gwyn so easy?

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Gaping Dragon is easy. Pinwheel is easy. Nito is easy. Gwyn is not at all easy.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If you know how to parry he's at least easier than Nito.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Magres posted:

Don't get me wrong, Gwyn is an easy, easy boss now, but he gave me about three hours of hell before I finally got it into my head that I shouldn't even bother trying to parry his quick slashes. He's the most :darksouls: boss in the game for me cause everyone else seems to have had such an easy time with him and he hammered my rear end mercilessly for hours.

Pretty much my same experience. If you don't use parrying or summons he's such a hard and awesome fight since he's so relentless. Pretty much the only break you have to use a flask is when he whiffs his grab.

I don't know why they let you parry him, you can't parry Artorias and that fight is all the better for it.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I felt like Gwyn was easiest with my sorceror. Pop CHSM and run away from him. Kablammo.

I still think O+S is the straight up hardest encounter in the game, though I haven't done the DLC content yet.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

reflir posted:

Gaping Dragon is easy. Pinwheel is easy. Nito is easy. Gwyn is not at all easy.

I see we had very different experiences with Gwyn.

For me the hardest boss is either Kalameet or Manus, followed by O+S. Artorias probably took me the most attempts for my first kill but now I can kill him easily.

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

I'm about to continue my stream from last night! I'm pretty sure I stopped after killing the giant lunesta moth. https://www.twitch.tv/fordalla

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tallgeese posted:

Not sure what you mean.

I just re read my post, and should have clarified that I meant after that SL ~45 range it seems that co-op is really rare and tapers off almost entirely by the time you hit the PvP hotspots at SL 100. Poor phrasing, sorry.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

TastyAvocado posted:

I have no idea how I could possibly take him on my sorceror (only dude I've used against him), I didn't have the endurance to shield tank him and literally never had enough time to cast a single spell.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Cast CHSM before you walk into the fog door.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
One thing I really hope they fix in Dark Souls 2 on PC is the wonky camera and the spastic automatic lock-on switching when you're fighting multiple guys. Since it's probably going to be a decent port, the UI and controls should be fixed, but I've hated the camera in From games since King's Field.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Gwyn is easy because he's completely burnt out. Literally; his new title is Lord of Cinder for a reason. All he does is blindly attack as hard as he possibly can. It's an instinctual reaction, because instinct is the only thing remaining in his shell. The final battle against the former Lord of Sunlight isn't meant to be a glorious victory, but the subdued end of a long and tragic story.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Protocol 5 posted:

One thing I really hope they fix in Dark Souls 2 on PC is the wonky camera and the spastic automatic lock-on switching when you're fighting multiple guys. Since it's probably going to be a decent port, the UI and controls should be fixed, but I've hated the camera in From games since King's Field.

Use the mouse fix, you can switch the target switching to mousewheel if you want AND it makes the mouse controls in general actually sensible.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Magres posted:

As far as I know, there are only three times your white soapstone isn't usable:

1) Offline Mode
2) Whilst being invaded
3) In specific "transition areas" - these are sometimes near bonfires, sometimes just at major level transitions, but as far as I know they're never, ever in the middle of levels - next time you play just leave your soapstone up all the time, and see what happens.

Thanks, I appreciate the insight here. I think it'll just be a trial and error thing with me, relogging if I just can't get the soapstone to work. I'm pretty sure it all boils down to internet connection and finicky multiplayer matching in DS.

I started a second character finally, going a Str/Faith build this time. I was jealous of all the cool-looking giant weapons when I was playing through the game the first time with my Dex/Pyro guy.

One self-imposed rule I have for this second character is no grinding allowed, especially for souls. I grinded for hours for souls on the Phalanx in painted world and it pretty much trivialized O&S -> Endgame. I was SL100 when I beat 4 Kings, I could just stand there and trade blows through all 4 Kings in a row without dodging anything. I think playing as normally as possible and just spending souls as I get them through normal play will be a good way to keep the game challenging.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
So I can't even start up my game anymore. I threw in new computer parts a month ago and when I went to play dark souls last night it didn't start up anymore. It just crashes before getting to the menu, I don't even see the first loading icon. Anyone get a problem similar to this? I'd check the steam forums but they've been down for a little over a week now and all google searches just point to them. It's a clean install, not even dsfix is in there.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

So I can't even start up my game anymore. I threw in new computer parts a month ago and when I went to play dark souls last night it didn't start up anymore. It just crashes before getting to the menu, I don't even see the first loading icon. Anyone get a problem similar to this? I'd check the steam forums but they've been down for a little over a week now and all google searches just point to them. It's a clean install, not even dsfix is in there.

From a cached steam forums page:
"1) Remove/uninstall Microsoft Games for Windows – LIVE Redistributable
2) Remove/uninstall Microsoft Games for Windows Marketplace
3) Download gfwlivesetup from here (thanks to sevenalive): http://sdrv.ms/O2WvBt
4) Run it - install it and after that you can play the game

*Don't forget to uncheck Compatibility mode, if you checked it before*"

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Auto lock-on switching is caused by your current target moving out of lock-on range while another target remains in range. Even if it's behind you or something silly like that.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
There's also an option to turn off lock-on switching in the in-game options page. They added that after Demon's Souls, so at least they're trying.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mental Midget posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the insight here. I think it'll just be a trial and error thing with me, relogging if I just can't get the soapstone to work. I'm pretty sure it all boils down to internet connection and finicky multiplayer matching in DS.

I started a second character finally, going a Str/Faith build this time. I was jealous of all the cool-looking giant weapons when I was playing through the game the first time with my Dex/Pyro guy.

One self-imposed rule I have for this second character is no grinding allowed, especially for souls. I grinded for hours for souls on the Phalanx in painted world and it pretty much trivialized O&S -> Endgame. I was SL100 when I beat 4 Kings, I could just stand there and trade blows through all 4 Kings in a row without dodging anything. I think playing as normally as possible and just spending souls as I get them through normal play will be a good way to keep the game challenging.

The best way to make the game challenging is to do an SL1 run. :getin: Nothing is more exciting than getting to the point where every boss and enemy tears off at least seventy percent of your hp on every swing. You can trivialize a lot of it with a maxed pyrohand, bellowing ring, and dusk crown (I have been increasingly leaning on pyro in later boss fights, they're SO loving hard without it), but it's even better when I can fry some bastard with just my trust Lightning +5 Reinforced Club

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Great White Hope! posted:

I'm about to continue my stream from last night! I'm pretty sure I stopped after killing the giant lunesta moth. https://www.twitch.tv/fordalla

Watching someone fight the Capra Demon for the first time never gets old. :)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I just beat the game for the first time (and loved it) with a dexterity-based character who also dabbled in faith a bit after I got dex to 40. I pretty much used the Uchigatana and Balder Side Sword for the entire game.

I'd like to try out something new and perhaps make a character that would hide a little less behind a shield. Any recommendations, build or equipment-wise?

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Smol posted:

I just beat the game for the first time (and loved it) with a dexterity-based character who also dabbled in faith a bit after I got dex to 40. I pretty much used the Uchigatana and Balder Side Sword for the entire game.

I'd like to try out something new and perhaps make a character that would hide a little less behind a shield. Any recommendations, build or equipment-wise?

Grab the Zweihander from the graveyard and wield it with both hands. Pump strength like crazy.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Smol posted:

A run where you must two hand a weapon and never use the shield. Parrying is ok, though, you just have to do two handed ripostes.
Also, maybe go naked.
Grass Crest Shield on your back, your weapon of choice in your hands, and maybe something like Wolf Ring and Darkwood Grain Ring to help you with your lack of shield.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Watching someone fight the Capra Demon for the first time never gets old. :)

Watching him fail to summon me three times. Ah, GFWL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Humm am I completely knackered? I'm in the painted world and those guys that give you toxin are ruining me... I don't have any herbs and any time I kill them I get the toxin status effect which last ages and I only have 5 estus flasks and no humanity. I've tried stabbing from a distance but if they move in to hit me then they still explode in my face I'm instantly toxic. I don't have any magic, out of bows and can't warp back. Wearing Havel's and using the crest shield but instantly get toxic when they die. How many are them in the area? Have I just toasted my character?

• Locked thread