Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Hello Witcher thread, I'm bumping this because I'm downloading TW1 on GOG and possibly TW2 if I end up enjoying it. I've always been interested in playing this series but I can be kind of picky about RPGs and lose drive easily if it's really unclear what I should be doing or where I should be going...anything you could recommend to keep that from happening in the first game?

Be careful with TW1, it's pretty easy to get stuck in the main quest in some parts. Hopefully you will stick with it but even if you don't, check out TW2 anyway. It's a very different game from 1, more focused and only marginally connected to 1 story-wise.

Regarding shadows, that's how the game renders them. Don't know if there are any tweaks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Hello Witcher thread, I'm bumping this because I'm downloading TW1 on GOG and possibly TW2 if I end up enjoying it. I've always been interested in playing this series but I can be kind of picky about RPGs and lose drive easily if it's really unclear what I should be doing or where I should be going...anything you could recommend to keep that from happening in the first game?

Fair warning but losing drive to finish TW1 is something that happens alot with people. TW1 is a very good game wrapped with some flawed packaging. Id say if you make past chapter 2 youve made it through the worst and if you make it past chapter 3 its pretty much smooth sailing to the end. I would say that even if you cant finish Witcher 1 you should definitely still check out the second if it goes on sale.

Durp
Jan 6, 2008
I think I get it now.
I forget which chapter it was in, but the swamp made me put down the game for a few weeks. After getting through that mucky place the later parts of the game were excellent. If you can get past some of the duller parts, the late game is very strong and enjoyable.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

notZaar posted:

Technical question! The shadows in this game look really odd to me. They all have a sort of dithering effect, like somebody trying to save a file with too many colors as a GIF. Is this how the game renders shadows or is there something I can do about this?

That's how the shadows look. I think it's at its worst during Act 1, because of the woodland setting, where Act 2 has some more hard shadows and harsher lighting. Or it could be that I just got used to it.

exquisite tea posted:

Play Witcher 1 on easy, really, is the only advice to give. The combat is a horrible slog and anything that makes getting through it faster is a godsend. As everyone says, stick with it at least until you get to Chapter 3, because the first two are slow and boring; they're not terrible, they're just not indicative of what the Witcher series is reknowned for.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Admittedly I'm not that far into the game, but I started on medium and find the combat to be pretty easy so far, I just click rapidly on guys and their health goes down which looks utterly retarded but is also kind of funny. This game also does the DA:O thing where it doesn't recognize my vidcard's lighting so there's no bloom, no nothing. :( Does anybody know a way around this?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Admittedly I'm not that far into the game, but I started on medium and find the combat to be pretty easy so far.

Well you dont click rapidly you click when your cursor lights up, combat is basically a rhythm game. Its really not hard at all its just kinda there. I'd compair it to Ultima 7 or Planescape Torment combat isnt necessarily difficult but it has little depth is really not that interesting and is not what you are playing the game for at best its a speed bump at worst its a slog. Thing is what little you have seen of the combat so far is all that there is to it, it gets mixed up a little bit when you learn signs (of course you will never use any signs except for igni and aard) and potions which really really break the game one you figure out whats what.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well I tried the rhythm thing but then I noticed if I just spammed left click then I would dry hump them to death at a more rapid pace.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you really want to make Witcher 1 combat ridiculously fast and easy, just put points into maxing out Igni and increasing your vigor. Then just run around Igni-spamming you're way through every combat situation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Coughing Hobo posted:

Play Witcher 1 on easy, really, is the only advice to give. The combat is a horrible slog and anything that makes getting through it faster is a godsend. As everyone says, stick with it at least until you get to Chapter 3, because the first two are slow and boring; they're not terrible, they're just not indicative of what the Witcher series is reknowned for.

I think I liked chapter 1 the best, actually. It's pretty much the man with no name going into the crucible. It set the tone for the whole game for me.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lycus posted:

If you really want to make Witcher 1 combat ridiculously fast and easy, just put points into maxing out Igni and increasing your vigor. Then just run around Igni-spamming you're way through every combat situation.

Igni does not become game breakingly awesome until you get access to silver talents at level 15 but in the long run yeah max intelligence max endurance and max igni basically turns Igni into the gently caress this I win button.

exquisite tea posted:

Well I tried the rhythm thing but then I noticed if I just spammed left click then I would dry hump them to death at a more rapid pace.

Thats really only going to be true in the prologue.

RBA Starblade posted:

I think I liked chapter 1 the best, actually. It's pretty much the man with no name going into the crucible. It set the tone for the whole game for me.

I wouldnt say I like 1 the best but I really like it and think people hate on it way to much. Chapter 2 though man it can go gently caress itself and I say that as someone who does not hate the swamp and actually kinda liked it.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Durp posted:

I forget which chapter it was in, but the swamp made me put down the game for a few weeks. After getting through that mucky place the later parts of the game were excellent. If you can get past some of the duller parts, the late game is very strong and enjoyable.

Chapter 2 has the swamp (and a host of other stuff) and is a dense part of the game in general. I got bogged down in the swamp my first playthrough and didn't come back until finishing the Witcher 2.

If you run around with your sword drawn in group style you're considerably faster which helps get around the swamp. I powered through the swamp on my second playthrough and was surprised how quickly I got through it.

Also if you're feeling a bit over powered there are some drakes in the swamp hanging around some decent loot.

SpRahl posted:

Igni does not become game breakingly awesome until you get access to silver talents at level 15 but in the long run yeah max intelligence max endurance and max igni basically turns Igni into the gently caress this I win button.

Geralt of Rivia: Fire Mage makes everything after you get those silver talents trivial though.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
It never bothered me abusing Igni very much since you were often dumped in front of 10 dudes after a cutscene with your sword sheathed.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just started the game. Two questions:

Near the (presumed) end of the tutorial, I was told to put my talents into the training tree. I did, dropped a mutagen as well, but the game wouldn't continue, instead just asking me to put my (spent) talent into the training tree. Was there anything else of note in the tutorial, and what did I do to glitch it out?

Is there a point to looting stuff in the prologue, or will it all be gone when I'm thrown in prison?

Edit - When I say "prologue", I do of course means Foltest's assault on the castle.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 12, 2012

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
It's all gonna disappear. So will your talents and mutations.

edit: Oh you said tutorial, I thought you meant the combat arena

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 12, 2012

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Xander77 posted:

Is there a point to looting stuff in the prologue, or will it all be gone when I'm thrown in prison?
You'll get everything back when you start Act 1.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Witcher 2 is 75% right now on GOG get it while its hot, sale ends tomorrow.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Well, I beat the game. I was a little taken back by how short chapter 3 was (relative to the others.) I guess it's because of all the different endings and branching story paths that are possible. It felt good to get revenge on Letho after that punishing battle at the end of chapter 1. Now THAT's how you do a final boss right. I never did figure out how to cancel his Quen sign. It can absorb a lot of hits and he likes to recast it almost immediately after it wears off.

Definitely looking forward to the next game in the series.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

notZaar posted:

It felt good to get revenge on Letho after that punishing battle at the end of chapter 1. Now THAT's how you do a final boss right. I never did figure out how to cancel his Quen sign. It can absorb a lot of hits and he likes to recast it almost immediately after it wears off.
You can trap him with an Yrden while it's up. The Quen will wear off before the stun does.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

notZaar posted:

Well, I beat the game. I was a little taken back by how short chapter 3 was (relative to the others.) I guess it's because of all the different endings and branching story paths that are possible. It felt good to get revenge on Letho after that punishing battle at the end of chapter 1. Now THAT's how you do a final boss right. I never did figure out how to cancel his Quen sign. It can absorb a lot of hits and he likes to recast it almost immediately after it wears off.

Definitely looking forward to the next game in the series.

This choice (and others) makes me wish they'd included some stats like Telltale did with Walking Dead, so you could see how many players took which choice. For example: (ending spoilers): I chose not to fight Letho, and my guess would be that most players took the same choice, but it would be nice to know.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

notZaar posted:

Well, I beat the game. I was a little taken back by how short chapter 3 was (relative to the others.) I guess it's because of all the different endings and branching story paths that are possible.

Partly. CDProjektRED admitted after release that Act 3 was cut a bit as they couldn't finish everything they'd planned by release. The permutations are a factor, for sure - it's a nightmare to program.

As for the spoiler, Letho seemed to cast Quen on me more frequently as I pressured him more with melee. If I switched it up with bombs/signs or kept flurries to a minimum, he seemed to use his signs more on Aard and the like (which after a few times is dodged easily enough).

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

DoctorTristan posted:

This choice (and others) makes me wish they'd included some stats like Telltale did with Walking Dead, so you could see how many players took which choice. For example: (ending spoilers): I chose not to fight Letho, and my guess would be that most players took the same choice, but it would be nice to know.

I chose the same as you, there'd been enough bloodshed already that day :(

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
He wasn't really your enemy anyway. Nilfgaard was/is.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Depends how you play your Geralt but for me personally his crimes were too great to ignore. Plus he killed me so many times in chapter 1 he deserves retribution.

FedEx Mercury fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 16, 2012

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

notZaar posted:

Depends how you play your Geralt but for me personally his crimes were too great to ignore. Plus he killed me so many times in chapter 1 he deserves retribution.

My personal feeling was that his crimes weren't all that bad in hindsight. Yes he killed Foltest, but let's face it; that guy was a dick. During the course of the game I'd killed for a lot less, and even done my own spot of kingslaying. And there was always the chance that Nilfgard would actually stick to the terms of their deal and reopen the viper school, which would be nice I guess.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I can easily see Geralt really wanting to kill Letho if you took the "Save Triss" branch. Because it means that Letho's kidnapping of Triss and leaving her in a ditch is not mitigated by him rescuing her later. So you still have a personal score to settle with him.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I would have left him alone if he hadn't made a smug threat about killing me if I lost the second time. gently caress you dude, insult my pride and get what's coming to you. :argh:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Also, a world united under Nilfgaard is pretty much the only thing that can resist the impending invasion from the Wild Hunt's homeworld

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

notZaar posted:

Plus he killed me so many times in chapter 1 he deserves retribution.

This seriously. In my first playthrough I was all BITCH YOU ARE GOING DOWN. :argh:

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

My personal feeling was that his crimes weren't all that bad in hindsight. Yes he killed Foltest, but let's face it; that guy was a dick.

Yeah Foltest was a dick but he was a loving awesome dick besides which of the 4 major Northern monarchs he was probably the least terrible granted thats not saying much but still. Although from what I have read on the net the Queen of Lyria and Rivia sounds like a badass.

quote:

And there was always the chance that Nilfgard would actually stick to the terms of their deal and reopen the viper school, which would be nice I guess.

Not likely at all, even if it did happen it would have likely been controlled by Nilfgaard.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I let Letho live. It was never personal between him and Geralt in my playthrough because I took the Iorveth path with Geralt not giving a crap about the nobility and by the time you fight Letho his job is already done. I also saved Saskia, so him saving Triss really killed any remaining desire to fight him. He actually did more to purposely help Geralt than screw him over so I really didn't see any reason for my Geralt to fight him except for really petty revenge.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 17, 2012

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
It was merely circumstance that pitted Letho against you and any witcher following the path would have to acknowledge that Letho was, in fact, your bro.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Letho got to walk away in my game. The conflict was never with him for me, it was just about clearing my name. The game was done, the bodies were cooling, and the rest was just politics that a Witcher has no time for. When you set aside vengeance, I thought he'd be a much more useful in the future as a Witcher than as a corpse.

I mean, come on. We've all read the books. How many of Geralts friends have tried to kill him in the past? Pretty much everyone but Dandelion. At least when he almost kills you, it's an accident.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I guess I'm spoiled by Dark Souls but this games combat has a really janky feel, and from the start of the tutorial I'm bombarded with different signs that I have to use some clunky popup to use, ugh... Going to give it a shot but so far I'm not really liking this game, swayed by the awesome intro cinematic and goon praise :(

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
You can and should bind the various witcher signs to specific keys, esp. Quen, Aard and Igni.

It takes awhile for the combat to click, but if you liked DS, you'll soon feel right at home in W2.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I really hated the combat at first but once you get into the groove and start to pick your upgrade paths it really is a lot of fun, and does make you feel like a grizzled hardass spellsword.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Edit - Nevermind that bit. New problem. I have all 4 ingredients needed for the amulet purification ritual, the journal instructs me to bring them to Anezka, but when I talk to her she just tells me to gather the ingredients.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 17, 2012

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Walk around Lobinden and look for a moving crafting icon. That should be Cedric.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

snuff posted:

I guess I'm spoiled by Dark Souls but this games combat has a really janky feel, and from the start of the tutorial I'm bombarded with different signs that I have to use some clunky popup to use, ugh... Going to give it a shot but so far I'm not really liking this game, swayed by the awesome intro cinematic and goon praise :(

Of all the magic in the game I think I used the stun 90% of the time, the shield 8% of the time, and maybe the trap for a couple big bad guys; likewise I mostly used bombs and no traps, just because you have so many options you don't need to actually use many of them (unless you want to)

Just always drink potions if you know youre going to be fighting!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've bought the game because of gog Christmas sale, and my PC can barely run it on the lowest settings, hell yeah :downs:! But I knew that would happen, what I don't know is: how do I enable playing with a gamepad? I have MotioinJoy installed, my Dualshock 3 standing in for an Xbox pad is enabled, but the control options does not let me change from the "Keyboard" setting. I guess keyboard offers more flexibility than a pad, but since the game was released on the X360, I hoped it would be supporting gamepads - was I wrong, or did I not search the option enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I had to set my Logitech to XInput instead of DirectInput or vice versa to get the game to recognize it.

• Locked thread