Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

coldwind posted:

That really begs the question, why should it be banned in amateur hockey leagues?

No. It doesn't beg the question; it raises the question. Also, I'm unaware of very many amateur hockey leagues that outright ban the number 99. Not wearing it is simply tradition. Each sport has many of their their own. This one is ours. (Come to think of it, I've seen a 99 in most leagues I've played in - someone's always gotta be the rear end in a top hat).

coldwind posted:

And what did Wayne Gretzky do that the number he wore deserves the same/more reverence than baseball's 42?

That's a loaded question.

This is set theory. There's room for both gentlemen on the "highly esteemed figures in sports" list. If I played baseball, I'd probably be more defensive about 42, or 3 than 99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
If a dude on the other team is wearing 99 he gets a bit of a rougher time out on the ice...

Plus you better be good otherwise you get the "nice shot Gretzky" taunts. "Hey Gretzky, watch that blue line"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

One of the best players in my league uses 69 :(

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

One of the best players in my league uses 69 :(

That's because it's hilarious.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Dangerllama posted:

This is set theory. There's room for both gentlemen on the "highly esteemed figures in sports" list. If I played baseball, I'd probably be more defensive about 42, or 3 than 99.
No, this is not just set theory. We are talking about respect and what not here, so quite a bit more comes into play than just set theory.

Yes, there is room on the "highly esteemed figure in sports" list. But that's not how things went. On the 50th anniversary of the desegregation of major league baseball, MLB gave Jackie Robinson a wholly unique honor, retiring his number across all of baseball. There was a list- "professional athletes who were an important part of history." And not sports history. Real history, the kind a high school student might read in his textbook and not a sports almanac.

This wasn't an honor given to Babe Ruth. Not Lou Gehrig, not Mickey Mantle, not Honus Wagner. Being good at the game wasn't good enough. Being the BEST at the game wasn't good enough. You had to have done something that transcended the game of baseball. What Jackie Robinson deeply affected the entire league, the whole game of baseball and the sociocultural attitude of an entire country. This is why his number was retired league-wide, not his batting average or home run total. That is what it meant to have your number retired by a league.

And two years later, the NHL decided that somebody else belonged on the list- Wayne Gretzky. Now what does it mean to have your number retired by a league? You don't have to transcend the game. You don't have to be a pioneer for the country or the sport or even just the league. All you have to do is score a lot of points for two teams. That, apparently, gets you onto the list previously populated only by athletes who made history. Athletes who impacted their sport in a way that made an entire nation take notice.

quote:

Not wearing it is simply tradition. Each sport has many of their their own. This one is ours.
It's not really our tradition. Hockey stole it from baseball and cheapened what it meant. It used to be reserved for sportsmen who made history. Sportsmen who endured racial slurs and death threats to accomplish what they accomplished. Sportsmen who had spent 7 years in the majors before being able to drink from the same drinking fountain as their teammates.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I change my number every time I get a new jersey :shrug:. I'm currently 92 because gently caress the haters james harrison

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SAS Hockey Player Thread: Bros Talkin Bout Baseball

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I always go with 4:20 on the back of my jersey. Thats cool, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am 3/16 because of Futurama.

(actually I've never worn a number I chose but if I do a fraction would be funny)

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I'm always 15, even when I play in net for teams and I honestly can't remember why it's always been my number but it has been for as long as I can remember.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

Reflective visors really send people into a tizzy too.

Yeah it's pretty hilarious.

This is my FB cover pic :smug:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 8, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Tinted visor, bumblebee tape, 4:20, and old school Gretzky Jofa helmet. Hell yeah. :c00l:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

19 o'clock posted:

I also love watching Wayne Gretzky highlights on YouTube, so...

Me too. This is my favorite:
http://youtu.be/UJTAnyLn_RI

e: VVV tbf Bert owns.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 9, 2012

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Um...I don't really know what to say to that. I guess I'm sorry you believe Gretzky's jersey retirement has somehow lessened Jackie Robinson's achievements in the eyes of some people? I don't know anybody like that, but I'll make sure to speak up if I ever meet them.

Honestly, getting butthurt about a perceived "me too" league-wide retirement trivializes the very transcendence you purport to be so up in arms about. Jackie Robinson's contributions to both baseball and the landscape of American History transcend his jersey number. Hell, I had no idea what Jackie Robinson's jersey number was before yesterday, but I sure know who he was and what he did.

But you appear to be really worked up about it, so...sorry.

--

Back to hockeychat: I picked #44 in 2002 because I was big into Todd Bertuzzi at the time.

I'm an Avs fan.

:negative:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 9, 2012

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

As a dude from Michigan who just got a new set of Red Wings socks in the mail: I approve of this clip.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was at an AHL game last night and was pretty close to the crease for warmups, and the players were doing something with their wristers I hadn't noticed before.. they'd get a bit of a clack when they took a shot which I assume comes from the stick hitting the puck.

What I can't figure out is what's going on.. the shot is too fast for me to see what's happening. Not to suggest I have any kind of great shot, but when I wrist the puck it stays in contact with the blade for the full motion. So I'm wondering if there's some technique I haven't picked up on yet.

What are these players doing? Does the stick lag a little bit behind the puck as they lean on it and load the shot?

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
I think your just seeing good hockey players take good wrist shots.

http://youtu.be/oqkozdIt-Qg

edit:

also http://youtu.be/kLr63oWYxWk

Petit.Conan fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 10, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's a Good Wrist Shot.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Dangerllama posted:

Um...I don't really know what to say to that. I guess I'm sorry you believe Gretzky's jersey retirement has somehow lessened Jackie Robinson's achievements in the eyes of some people? I don't know anybody like that, but I'll make sure to speak up if I ever meet them.

Honestly, getting butthurt about a perceived "me too" league-wide retirement trivializes the very transcendence you purport to be so up in arms about. Jackie Robinson's contributions to both baseball and the landscape of American History transcend his jersey number. Hell, I had no idea what Jackie Robinson's jersey number was before yesterday, but I sure know who he was and what he did.

But you appear to be really worked up about it, so...sorry.
I don't think it trivialized Jackie Robinson's achievement, but it pissed all over one of the ways MLB decided to honor it.

One of the great things about them retiring 42 league-wide was it's uniqueness and exclusivity. Selectiveness is one of the things that gave it meaning and made it special. With almost anything that has symbolic value- when you lower the bar, it becomes less and less meaningful to those who have it. You wouldn't be too impressed with a law degree if they changed the rules and now its associate degree that's just 2 years worth of watching Judge Judy reruns. It doesn't depreciate anything that legit JDs actually did, but it trivializes the honor that's been bestowed upon them. Or if your boss gave you an employee of the year award and made this big deal about it because you worked really hard and then right after that was done proceeded to give everybody else an employee of the year award, too.

When you say "perceived 'me too'," it implies that you think it wasn't a me-too decision by the NHL. Do you think the NHL was really thinking about this before MLB did it and the only reason they were second to do it was that Gretzky didn't retire early enough?

Maybe I am pretty worked up about it. Maybe I just like having difficult discussion with people. But I'm not flipping out and running my mouth/running people who wear the number 99. That might not be you personally, but there are a lot of people in the hockey community who take it that seriously.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I got to play keep away with a few buddies yesterday... finally.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Anders posted:

I got to play keep away with a few buddies yesterday... finally.

Cant see it too well on my phone but that looks pretty awesome

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We don't even have snow on the ground here, much less outdoor ice to skate around on.

loving global warming.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

xzzy posted:

We don't even have snow on the ground here, much less outdoor ice to skate around on.

loving global warming.
Yeah Michigan is the same, and was last year as well. Cant believe Im saying this but...I miss snow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The last time I saw ice outside was right around the time I bought my skates and decided to get into hockey. I hope there's not a correlation there.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Gio posted:

Cant see it too well on my phone but that looks pretty awesome

It's an outdoors 400meters track, put on a gravel soccer field. We've had bare frost so far this year, so it froze really nice. When winters were stable in the 90s, they hosted the national speed skating championship on this field twice.

I'm contributing on making the ice for my local community, but the hose isn't long enough, so the ice gets really rough on the far side from the splatter... and you can guess why it isn't suited for hockey

Edit:
And, if you have an indoor rink to skate at, you can shut the gently caress up about the perceived joy of outdoor skating. You assholes.

Anders fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 10, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Anders posted:

Edit:
And, if you have an indoor rink to skate at, you can shut the gently caress up about the perceived joy of outdoor skating. You assholes.

We got an outdoor rink here until January here in N. Alabama and it's an... interesting experience. Like all public skates the sizable majority of people can't skate, but the ice is soft as hell. Even then, it's about the size of half the neutral zone and they just have some squeegee thing to resurface. There are nights the water barely freezes and it's just rough. I've seen a few of the guys I play with out there and even the better players have taken a spill on the ice between the conditions of the ice and the constant obstacle course of people flailing about.

That all said I took a date out there the other night and it was a ton of fun.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

coldwind posted:

When you say "perceived 'me too'," it implies that you think it wasn't a me-too decision by the NHL. Do you think the NHL was really thinking about this before MLB did it and the only reason they were second to do it was that Gretzky didn't retire early enough?

I honestly have no idea since I actually didn't really get into hockey until 2002. I just know that - speaking strictly from a skill perspective - Gretzky is to hockey as no other player is to his or her respective sport. Better than Senna was to racing. Better than Jordan was to basketball. Better than Nicklaus to golf. Better than Ruth to baseball, or Payton, or Brown, or Sanders to football (or Peyton for that matter). It is likely no one will ever match the numbers Gretzky put up. Ever. Yes, that's in no small part due to the way the game has changed. But it's still crazy how good Gretzky was.

Maybe it was a "me too" move by the NHL. I think reasonable people can debate that. But I think a very compelling argument can be made on its own for retiring Gretzky's jersey league wide.

quote:

Maybe I am pretty worked up about it. Maybe I just like having difficult discussion with people. But I'm not flipping out and running my mouth/running people who wear the number 99. That might not be you personally, but there are a lot of people in the hockey community who take it that seriously.

Fair enough. I, too, think that running someone for wearing 99 is a dick move. Taking a jersey number that seriously is just silly. (They will, of course, receive the requisite number of "Nice shot, Wayne!" reprisals.)

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 10, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think I've converted from my old 2-piece stick ways. I've always run a TotalOne 2-piece and was generally pretty happy with it. I got a pretty cheap 1-piece EQ50 a while back and just started using it this season for the hell of it. I was also given one of those $110 TotalOne LE sticks from Hockey Monkey's sale last week as an early Christmas present and just used it for the first time last night. It's pretty night and day how much better the puck feels on it compared to the 2-piece equivalent. I feel like catching passes is much easier and I'm getting much better release on my shots.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

I think I've converted from my old 2-piece stick ways. I've always run a TotalOne 2-piece and was generally pretty happy with it. I got a pretty cheap 1-piece EQ50 a while back and just started using it this season for the hell of it. I was also given one of those $110 TotalOne LE sticks from Hockey Monkey's sale last week as an early Christmas present and just used it for the first time last night. It's pretty night and day how much better the puck feels on it compared to the 2-piece equivalent. I feel like catching passes is much easier and I'm getting much better release on my shots.

One of the clerks at the skate shop was trying to tell me that a one piece "is a two piece" they just sand it down and fuse it. He was using this an argument to me that I should buy a two-piece.

That doesn't seem right to me.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
My last game for a while is tomorrow. We have three more games before the holiday break, but they're next week and my exams are done Wednesday, so I don't want to stick around, especially because I won't be spending Christmas with my family this year. Then in January I'll miss the first 3 games due to being in Scotland, the next game because I have a cancer screening, and, if I get into this programming languages conference, 2 or 3 more games. :smith:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

We got an outdoor rink here until January here in N. Alabama and it's an... interesting experience. Like all public skates the sizable majority of people can't skate, but the ice is soft as hell. Even then, it's about the size of half the neutral zone and they just have some squeegee thing to resurface. There are nights the water barely freezes and it's just rough. I've seen a few of the guys I play with out there and even the better players have taken a spill on the ice between the conditions of the ice and the constant obstacle course of people flailing about.

That all said I took a date out there the other night and it was a ton of fun.

Yeah, gently caress that. I've seen people who know how to skate get cut badly due to overcrowding and forcing outdoor ice rinks into areas they don't belong. No thanks.

EQ50 is a great stick. Don't get too attached as they're all but gone now.

Someone walked away with my EQ30 outside of the locker room last game -- I hated the pattern though. And there are no more EQ50s in stock with the flex/pattern I like anywhere so I guess I have to go make a change again to have a backup stick. Bummer.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Anders posted:

Edit:

Outdoor rinks in colder climates are fun. Until I moved this summer, this was where I skated at in the winter in Longmont, CO.

It's probably around a 3/4 sheet but who cares. It's ice outside and it cost a whole $5/drop-in or $60 for the entire season (November through early March).
Plus it's in a city park and gets all lit up for the season.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skating outdoors is fun, I did it quite a lot when I was in elementary school. They had a 200 foot rink we could use whenever we wanted, and when mom kicked us out of the house in the winter that's generally where we ended up. It was nice because there was no pressure to do anything. We'd just gently caress around until our toes froze pretending we were Gretzky.

Kind of a shame I didn't get better at skating back then because it sure would have helped me out now. :smith:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Kind of a shame I didn't get better at skating back then because it sure would have helped me out now. :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

I wish I was more into hockey when I was a kid... although even then my parents wouldn't have had the money to finance me being in hockey as a kid.

I grew up in NE Jersey, where ice and gear was plentiful. I love the South and all, but outside of a few cities, hockey is a hard sport to get into.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

JetsGuy posted:

I grew up in NE Jersey, where ice and gear was plentiful. I love the South and all, but outside of a few cities, hockey is a hard sport to get into.

I still have the #1 Sob Story: Grandpa owned an ice rink my entire first 20 years on Earth and I never used it once. It resided a mere 20 minutes from where I lived. Never. Even. Once.

My loving hippy parents were more into me studying arts and science. gently caress that. Chicks dig guys who can roof the puck.

(I love my parents and how I was brought up, but man, that would have been sweet to have the entire rink to myself for an entire night or something.)

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Screw you people with your wintery climates and outdoor skating!

sellouts posted:

Someone walked away with my EQ30 outside of the locker room last game -- I hated the pattern though. And there are no more EQ50s in stock with the flex/pattern I like anywhere so I guess I have to go make a change again to have a backup stick. Bummer.

Have a quick look over at ModSquad Hockey - they have a pattern database so you can find the equivalent bend in other brands.

I'm having a bit of a motivation problem with hockey at the moment. I keep finding excuses not to go to open skates even though I know when I'm there I'm going to love it. I don't know whats wrong with me!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Zip! posted:

I'm having a bit of a motivation problem with hockey at the moment. I keep finding excuses not to go to open skates even though I know when I'm there I'm going to love it. I don't know whats wrong with me!

Go for all of the players here who can't make their respective sessions because of work or some such bullshit. Every stick and puck during the week at my rink is in the range from 10:00am to 3:00pm. Working 8:00am to 4:00pm makes this hard to do on the regular.

Don't be ungrateful!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Zip! posted:

Screw you people with your wintery climates and outdoor skating!
Screw you people with warm climates that still have access to ice for 9 months of the year more than me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So yeah, I love it when D-men screen their own goalies. Last night I buried the game-winner with a few minutes left in the game from above the hash marks. The D-man was directly in between the goalie and I, shoulders completely square to me. I fired it right between his legs and beat the goalie blocker side. I could barely even see the net, so I had no clue it even went in until everyone else put their hands up.

This new stick is magical.

We just took 1st place back over with that win. Not bad for our first Silver season.

I also took a bullet slapper to the side of the leg and it's swollen like crazy this morning. I'm kind of disappointed it isn't purple and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Hockey games that start at 11:30 at night suck. They especially suck when you've been up since 7am and worked a 12hr day.

They're slightly better when you score a sweet backhanded shot off a deflection from the point. One of our D-men took a pretty weak shot at the net, I tried to deflect it but because it had no speed it just kind of got directed straight down. Thankfully I could reach out and with a guy on my back somehow lift it high and beat the goalie glove side.

Just wish we had more than 8 people total because we were gassed by the 3rd and ended up losing 6-5 and now I'm still exhausted and sore.