Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Here's a link to my post about my boost data on IWSTI.com for those that are interested: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/251297-38-psi-spike-stage-1-sti-wtf.html#post3734062

So far no concrete answers, but two posters maintain that the MAP sensor doesn't even read past 22-25 psi so it may be "corrupted" data. I don't know how/why data becomes corrupted, but I certainly have witnessed computers/electronics gently caress up once or twice.

Edit: posted this before I refreshed the last page to see Jamal's response :3 . Thanks for speaking up Jamal, that makes me feel alot better.

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

powderific posted:

They could probably tell that she wasn't leaving without the car given that she'd already waited months and was ok with the price at the beginning. I'm kindof surprised that they're selling so many of them. I just picked up a Premium Crosstrek and I'm super happy with it so far since it fit my wants and needs perfectly, but it doesn't seem like the type of thing that'd be flying off the metaphorical shelves.

What does the Limited come with over the Premium anyway? I didn't even look at them while I was shopping.

not sure what all of the differences are, but the main ones that she wanted were leather seats, navigation, and backup camera. Mostly I prompted her to get leather because she has a tendency to spill things in her car (she also got the rubber all-weather mats for going to the mountain) and I suggested she get the backup camera because she doesn't always have the best sense of her surroundings and I figure it'll help her when parallel parking. She also wanted moonroof and heated seats so really she ended up with a nearly fully loaded car, only a few minor things that she opted not to get like cargo nets, side moldings, interior illumination kit, upgraded speakers, air deflector, metal pedals, yadda yadda.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

So far no concrete answers, but two posters maintain that the MAP sensor doesn't even read past 22-25 psi so it may be "corrupted" data.

Oh yeah, that too.

c355n4 posted:

So I have an interesting conundrum. I finally had a chance to install my TWE equal length header. And the pipes rest on the lower radiator hose where it comes out of the thermostat housing.

I would try to have a new inlet made I think, although just changing the water pump isn't that huge of a deal. You can re-use the rest of the timing stuff although you'd also need a new center timing cover. I think the newer n/a pumps have a front inlet like the turbos.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

I would try to have a new inlet made I think, although just changing the water pump isn't that huge of a deal. You can re-use the rest of the timing stuff although you'd also need a new center timing cover. I think the newer n/a pumps have a front inlet like the turbos.

Does Subaru still make metal inlets? Be nice to be able to just buy one and have it modified.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

c355n4 posted:

Does Subaru still make metal inlets? Be nice to be able to just buy one and have it modified.

My legacy with an oil cooler had a metal inlet. I should have swapped it out, but instead we just jammed a hose and bolt on with some clamps because :effort:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

c355n4 posted:

The turbo water pump inlets are cast aluminum. The bolt pattern should be the same. 11060AA061

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 12, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MMD3 posted:

not sure what all of the differences are, but the main ones that she wanted were leather seats, navigation, and backup camera. Mostly I prompted her to get leather because she has a tendency to spill things in her car (she also got the rubber all-weather mats for going to the mountain) and I suggested she get the backup camera because she doesn't always have the best sense of her surroundings and I figure it'll help her when parallel parking. She also wanted moonroof and heated seats so really she ended up with a nearly fully loaded car, only a few minor things that she opted not to get like cargo nets, side moldings, interior illumination kit, upgraded speakers, air deflector, metal pedals, yadda yadda.

Huh, I guess they pushed back the law that makes backup cameras standard on new cars. Too bad for you :P

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CharlesM posted:

Huh, I guess they pushed back the law that makes backup cameras standard on new cars. Too bad for you :P

wha? seriously? they're going to be mandatory soon? interesting. Well either way I think the backup camera came as part and parcel to the GPS and since she wanted that as well it worked out.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

The turbo inlets are cast aluminum. The bolt pattern should be the same. 11060AA061

Sent ya a PM.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MMD3 posted:

wha? seriously? they're going to be mandatory soon? interesting. Well either way I think the backup camera came as part and parcel to the GPS and since she wanted that as well it worked out.

I guess the law got delayed for some reason. You would probably have to pay for it with an increase in MSRP anyway.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-28/rear-view-camera-rule-delayed-again-by-u-s-.html

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

edit: ^^ posting at the same time, welp (or not, didn't realize how long I had the tab open)

CharlesM posted:

This is going to be a thing? :(

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Totally TWISTED posted:

edit: ^^ posting at the same time, welp (or not, didn't realize how long I had the tab open)

This is going to be a thing? :(

Too many kids getting run over because you can't see out the back of new cars. Also, America.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Neptr posted:

Too many kids getting run over because you can't see out the back of new cars. Also, America.

I blame it on the rising belt-line.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
STi is officially in port waiting to be shipped to dealer. Only 3 months wait time from order until delivery. I heard people who are ordering now have to wait until late April or May. Pretty crazy.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I sincerely hope Subaru's version of a CVT is better than the one in the Lancer I'm driving at present. Holy gently caress I hate it sooooo much, I'd rather the clunky bastard auto in the Statesman than this utter shitfest.

What a vile car. Which is something I never say about Subarus, they all seem to have some level of competence - not like this understeering, noisy, poo poo steering piece of crap. And that gearbox..... wow that is just spectaclar in just how bad it is and how this CVT just doesnt work in driving a car. I'll gove the gearbox one thing in that the manual mode is a big improvement. Letting the CVT do it's thing is just.... bad.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Totally TWISTED posted:

I blame it on the rising belt-line.

Not specifically Subaru related but I was reading an article about this. The article was saying that pedestrian safety rules are the primary driver (har) of the rising belt lines, larger than necessary wheels (to maintain visual balance), and some other business about the windshield angle of incidence with the hood.

I'm sure my paraphrasing sucks, but it was an interesting little write up. Pop mechanics might have put it on the web by now.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
My equal length headers arrived today. I gave them a good looking over and I'm shipping them tomorrow for "White Lightning" ceramic coating at Swain Tech.

I am very excited to get them on the car and get re-tuned.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Slow is Fast posted:

My legacy with an oil cooler had a metal inlet. I should have swapped it out, but instead we just jammed a hose and bolt on with some clamps because :effort:

That should probably actually be corrected some day. I think that I used a random piece of PCV hose from the pile of blowed up mustang parts....

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
We got our Forester back today. Holy hell did they do a good job, it looks (at least from the front end) like a brand new car.

Though now that we have it back, the annoying belt-like sound we had before it went in to the shop has gotten slightly worse. It's engine speed dependent but goes away before WOT, sounds like a belt squeal but apparently isn't (the shop lubricated it multiple times trying to pin it down since we asked if they could identify it for us, and gave up since the body work was done and they're a really busy shop).

It comes from a little too far back to be the accessory belt, anyhow. High and slightly back.

Any ideas what it might be?

My fiance's going to take some post-repair photos tomorrow and put together a before-postaccident-postrepair spread so once he gets that put together I'll share it just in case anyone cares.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Of course we care, and there are hundreds of lurkers who care to but don't have an account.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
nevermind.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 12, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Weeeeeell..... not sure about this one

All the bits are there minus a bit of front end damage. Genuinely only done 971 kms tho.

Worth the money? Suppose it'll make a good swap base.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ooh, roof vent roof vent!! :neckbeard:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I get my EJ25 N/A engine back from the Machine shop next week. I think I need to following:

Engine seals, gaskets, blah blah blah.
Timing belt and new pulleys (should I get the Gates?)
Oil pump
Water pump?
Clutch
Flywheel
that bearing that spins on the clutch

Anything else?

daslog fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 12, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Clutch?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I used the rock auto Gates kit with waterpump for my legacy build and have had no issues.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

kylej posted:

. I heard people who are ordering now have to wait until late April or May. Pretty crazy.

Wow, seriously? Who did you hear this from?

:(

War Bunny fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 12, 2012

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Yep. Flywheel too. and the funny bearing.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

I used the rock auto Gates kit with waterpump for my legacy build and have had no issues.

Likewise on the WRX.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

daslog posted:

Yep. Flywheel too. and the funny bearing.

You need both funny bearings... The throwout bearing and the pilot bearing.
Well, if you're getting a new flywheel it might come with one. Check to make sure.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

daslog posted:

I get my EJ25 N/A engine back from the Machine shop next week. I think I need to following:

Engine seals, gaskets, blah blah blah.
Timing belt and new pulleys (should I get the Gates?)
Oil pump
Water pump?
Clutch
Flywheel
that bearing that spins on the clutch

Anything else?

I have most of the gasket part numbers floating around and the subaru parts lookup stuff if you want to go that way. It's cheaper than ordering the kit and you don't end up with a bunch of extra stuff.

The gates kit comes with a water pump and an exedy OEM clutch kit comes with the bearings. Do you want an oem flywheel or something lighter?

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 12, 2012

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I can get the gaskets and seals via my dealer connection.

What's the benefit of a lighter flywheel?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

daslog posted:

I can get the gaskets and seals via my dealer connection.

What's the benefit of a lighter flywheel?

You can shift quicker because the engine doesn't have as much rotational momentum. It can make it harder to drive for new people as well for the same reason. I know on my EJ25 I'm often left waiting for RPMs to drop when upshifting at low speed as the ratios are pretty far apart for 1st/2nd/3rd gear.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The biggest thing is probably that the revs drop quicker between shifts, so you can shift faster without putting extra stress on the syncros. But I didn't look up prices before I suggested that and for some reason they cost way more than a standard exedy or stock replacement (like 380 vs 100).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Lighter flywheels on some cars also seem to like to chuck a CEL because the crank position sensor gets upset about it. It didn't happen to me on my WRX's Streetlite but it was a bit of a pain having to revmatch to go from 4th to 5th because my hand is slow.

I went back to stock when I replaced the monster pressure plate anyway.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
poo poo I spoke too soon:

I'll just copy and paste what I posted in lgt.com

Hey all,

I have a 2005 bone stock Legacy GT 5EAT, car has about 70,000 miles, when I bought it it felt (around 7 or 8 k miles ago) Lexus smooth on downshifts and upshifts, however after about a year of trouble free ownership I begin to notice intermittent rough downshifts in the following situation:

When coasting to a stop over long distances it downshifts very rough, the whole car feels like moving forwards and backwards like it's "floating" then it settles, short stops or downshifts stops while breaking are perfect.

So I changed (replaced, not flushed, bought 8 quarts, they used only 7) the gear and diff oils to Motul Multi-ATF (Trans) and Motul Gear 300, both are synthetic oils, I went to the website to check if ATF-HP or Idemitsu ATF are supported and indeed they are:

http://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/149/Multi_ATF_(GB).pdf?1335542544

Is the same oil, same cover, bought at the only Subaru dealership, they claim is the one they use on 3.0R's and 2012 Legacy GT's, curiously the one at the dealership doesn't show ATF-HP or Idemitsu on the back, but they are the same part#, they do not stock Gear-S, no one does in my country (I live outside the US) and after Sept 11, I cannot buy any liquids trough a courrier.

In any other situation (upshifts, from P to D, P to R, D to N) the shifts are buttery smooth and shifts very quick on cold mornings, hot afternoons you name it, upshifts that used be kinda rough before the fluid change are now imperceptible, but that incredibly annoying downshifts on coast are killing me, any ideas??

I'm thinking Diff bushings, I checked them and while they don't look brand new (a few little cracks at the edges) they are not completely bad...

Any ideas? I truly hope my trans is OK, I don't have the US$2,000 it takes to change it :(

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Where are you located? I have a friend up here in Maine with a 5eat he's trying to get rid of. I think it has somewhat low miles and worked fine before the car was crashed.

I guess I missed your post on lgt. I don't go in the 4th gen section often, though.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

chrisgt posted:

Where are you located? I have a friend up here in Maine with a 5eat he's trying to get rid of. I think it has somewhat low miles and worked fine before the car was crashed.

I guess I missed your post on lgt. I don't go in the 4th gen section often, though.

Outside the US, but I don't think my 5EAT is hosed, is it? :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'd doubt diff bushings unless you get a similar wobbly feeling on hammering-it upshifts (like at WOT... automatics are pretty smooth unless you're doing that). Is there a CLUNK sound?

Maybe hop underneath and take a look at the transmission mount and the crossmember it bolts into. I assume the LGT also has driveshaft carrier bushings but you'd probably be seeing weird behaviour in different contexts too.

e: Maybe get someone to put it up on a lift and run it through the gears, though I have no idea how an automatic would do that in the air.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

mulligan posted:

Outside the US, but I don't think my 5EAT is hosed, is it? :(

I honestly don't know a lot about the auto transmissions. I've worked on a few 4eats, but that's about it.
I just know my friend has one, so I was throwing out out there.
Sounds like your issues could be driveline mounts, but nfi. Someone who knows more about it than me will comment.