Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Also I don't know if anyone looked at the list of the best Reuters photos but I would say more than half of them are an uninspired, mediocre photo of an important or interesting event. There are a couple of really great photos on there to go with the great stories they are companion to, but most of them could have been taken by anybody with a camera that happened to be in the area at the time of the event. It's less the best photos of the year and more the companion photos to the most important or interesting news stories of the year. To be fair, some of the photos are "get whatever shot you can or you won't get any" and the quality can't be fairly judged, but a lot of them aren't.

Does anyone know how modern professional photojournalism works? I've read that it's really difficult to get hired as a journalist these days without passing off some photography experience because most media outlets can't afford individual, specialized staff, but I don't know if this would be an issue that Reuters has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Also I don't know if anyone looked at the list of the best Reuters photos but I would say more than half of them are an uninspired, mediocre photo of an important or interesting event. There are a couple of really great photos on there to go with the great stories they are companion to, but most of them could have been taken by anybody with a camera that happened to be in the area at the time of the event. It's less the best photos of the year and more the companion photos to the most important or interesting news stories of the year. To be fair, some of the photos are "get whatever shot you can or you won't get any" and the quality can't be fairly judged, but a lot of them aren't.

Does anyone know how modern professional photojournalism works? I've read that it's really difficult to get hired as a journalist these days without passing off some photography experience because most media outlets can't afford individual, specialized staff, but I don't know if this would be an issue that Reuters has.

most of photojournalism is being in the right place at the right time and knowing a thing you take is something people want to see.

I'd think it's similar to paparazzi work, most photojournalism images are uploaded to image libraries like Reuters, Getty etc. and if images are purchased the photographer gets the sale and the image library a percentage of that.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

There's a reason for that saying "be there and f8."

With the abundance of phone cameras and amateur photographers who are too happy to give away photos for free, there's not as much need for journalist photographers to cover a lot of things. Kind of a shame really.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

the hope is that quality will keep going and that we'll have less people who just buy their way into photojournalism with a camera. I still think having an eye for what is newsworthy is important or how to tell a visual story.

citizen photojournalism is all well and good to capture a huge obvious event as it happens but you're missing out on narrative driven stories about how a village is building infrastructure in africa or the integration of immigrant communities in XYZ city.

Of course you also have international events that you can't just go to without having some kind of organisational support like Syria or other global conflicts.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

are you being serious

did you really say this

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

A bit late to the party, but... I think I have a problem with lenses :(

EDIT: And a bit of shame from yesterday's shoot. I really need to make sure my swivels have all the required parts before I leave the house.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 9, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

A bit late to the party, but... I think I have a problem with lenses :(

EDIT: And a bit of shame from yesterday's shoot. I really need to make sure my swivels have all the required parts before I leave the house.

That's nothing, sometimes I don't even bother attaching poo poo

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm the threaded plastic locking device on the flash.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm the threaded plastic locking device on the flash.

My Yongnuo flash owns bro.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

My Yongnuo flash owns bro.

I had one of those before whenever it was that they started actually making them 'good', and hot drat was it a piece of poo poo that underexposed by 2 stops at all times. I take it they aren't terrible any more? Does it do CLS and poo poo?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

I had one of those before whenever it was that they started actually making them 'good', and hot drat was it a piece of poo poo that underexposed by 2 stops at all times. I take it they aren't terrible any more? Does it do CLS and poo poo?

Nah, I just got the cheap 580 something seomthing model.

I only use it in manual mode for macro shots, so it's perfect for me. Never misfires, will slave to the onboard flash ok too. Great flash for the 60 bucks or whatever I paid

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

I dunno dude, you might be missing the point of photojournalism.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Chill Callahan posted:

I dunno dude, you might be missing the point of photojournalism.

Or are you?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I like this game, though.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Reichstag posted:

Or are you?
It's easy, just follow this handy guide:

Photo journalism is art except when it's not art, but also then it's sometimes art, except when it's not (always).

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ahmeni posted:

It's easy, just follow this handy guide:

Photo journalism is art except when it's not art, but also then it's sometimes art, except when it's not (always).

And so accordingly, Dorkroom rule 9a exists.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

If you don't think photojournalism should be artful, there are plenty of National Geographic photographers you should probably look into.

Relevance may be a factor for making a good photograph, but it doesn't make it a great one. Everything can and should be shot better always.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
A website is using one of my photos from last weekend's event, of course without any credit or permission. I'm so proud. I've finally made it as a photographer.

DanTheFryingPan fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 10, 2012

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

dakana posted:

are you being serious

did you really say this

Really not seeing what was so controversial but I appreciate your "I get photography more than you" incredulous wankery.

aliencowboy posted:

If you don't think photojournalism should be artful, there are plenty of National Geographic photographers you should probably look into.

Relevance may be a factor for making a good photograph, but it doesn't make it a great one. Everything can and should be shot better always.

Pretty much this.

There's no reason it can't be artistically competent and culturally important at the same time and I think it's silly to say that it doesn't matter.

For specific examples, go to Reuters best of 2012 and look at the Korean pool photo which is pretty much technically terrible, then look at the photo of the man being dragged through the streets which is "if I spend too much time on these photos I could literally be killed" and so the technical aspects are largely irrelevant, and then look at the photo of the two hunters with bows framed around a helicopter at dawn/dusk and appreciate that it tells an important story while also being a really interesting photo in itself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Really not seeing what was so controversial but I appreciate your "I get photography more than you" incredulous wankery.

most of them could have been taken by anybody with a camera that happened to be in the area at the time of the event.

There is no pretentiousness needed to understand the stupidity of this statement.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Pretty much this.

There's no reason it can't be artistically competent and culturally important at the same time and I think it's silly to say that it doesn't matter.

For specific examples, go to Reuters best of 2012 and look at the Korean pool photo which is pretty much technically terrible, then look at the photo of the man being dragged through the streets which is "if I spend too much time on these photos I could literally be killed" and so the technical aspects are largely irrelevant, and then look at the photo of the two hunters with bows framed around a helicopter at dawn/dusk and appreciate that it tells an important story while also being a really interesting photo in itself.

I just want to butt in and use this discussion as an excuse to post some Luc Delahaye. His pictures often have the immediacy of typical photojournalist pictures, capturing the decisive moment. At the same time, he frames it almost like a tableau, more similar to Jeff Wall.

Ambush, Ramadi, 22 July 2006, Ramadi, Iraq,

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 11, 2012

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

dakana posted:

There is no pretentiousness needed to understand the stupidity of this statement.

I would like to think there is more to being a photojournalist than just happening to be in the right place at the right time with a professional quality camera in your hands and only a vague understanding of how to properly compose and expose an image, but I guess that makes me stupid so whatever.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I would like to think there is more to being a photojournalist than just happening to be in the right place at the right time with a professional quality camera in your hands and only a vague understanding of how to properly compose and expose an image, but I guess that makes me stupid so whatever.

You need to have the right connections and you need to save the random man from point-blank gunshots and be part of the 9/11 inside job

http://stevenwarran.blogspot.com/2009/11/peter-turnley-and-david-turnley.html

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I like how number 20 (of Tiger Woods) explains that the photographer thought the shot was bland until he saw THE LENS FLARE and someone else told him to crop it to accentuate it.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Mr. Despair posted:

wait wots goin on here?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

guidoanselmi posted:

wait wots goin on here?

What ISN'T going on there :allears:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

wait wots goin on here?

Seven step up rings and a reverse mount adapter, and me holding a p67 lens onto it to take pictures. Works pretty well if you don't slip.

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off
Sick L lens bro! :cool:

Now you just need a Pentax 67 reverse ring :getin:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Polarize posted:

Sick L lens bro! :cool:

Now you just need a Pentax 67 reverse ring :getin:

Well now, that's just silly.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

i guess it'd actually be more economical to shoot with pentax 67 glass than a L lens. hmmm.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Sent an e-mail to the website that's using my shot for free without any credit. They took it down and replied.

quote:

At this time we don't feel it's necessary to pay licensing fees for image use.

I understand what they mean, but holy hell the wording.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Send them an invoice for their use. You don't have to feel it necessary to enable their dickery.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Exactly. They used your image, they profited from it. You deserve to get paid for your work.

PS. A good article by the Guardian about photography. http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2012/nov/16/sean-ohagan-photography-art-form

quote:

Like several of Gursky's works, Rhein II is a digitally manipulated image – a factory building and some dog walkers were removed from the original photograph by a high-end version of Adobe Photoshop. When asked to comment on this, Gursky said: "Paradoxically, this view of the Rhine cannot be obtained in situ, a fictitious construction was required to provide an accurate image of a modern river."

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 11, 2012

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I want one of those high-end versions of Adobe Photoshop, presumably with the slider marked "Photo value ($)".

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

big scary monsters posted:

I want one of those high-end versions of Adobe Photoshop, presumably with the slider marked "Photo value ($)".

That's easy just become a famous artist so that your work is collectible, like Gursky's.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate how artists talk. Why couldn't he just say he didn't like having a dog and a factory in the photo, so he edited them out? :sigh:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

xzzy posted:

I hate how artists talk. Why couldn't he just say he didn't like having a dog and a factory in the photo, so he edited them out? :sigh:

But that is what he said. :confused:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, like he used a thesaurus to pick each word.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, like he used a thesaurus to pick each word.

Being literate is so gauche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Your 2 year old could probably make art, but could your 2 year old shoot warzone photography?