Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Mehta irritated me so I don't mind the fact that he's gone. I actually missed most of the episode- who won? I saw the tail end it and it sounded like Marcel did?

Amanda Freitag did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Good.

Now let's talk about how terrible some of that stuff on Sugar Dome looked tonight.

Not that I'm happy about some weird steampunk thing winning even if it did look interesting!

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
If Freitag or (ugh) Guarnaschelli don't win then gently caress this season.

I would have said something about Sugar Dome but the DVR's too busy on Sundays for me to watch it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Good.

Now let's talk about how terrible some of that stuff on Sugar Dome looked tonight.

Not that I'm happy about some weird steampunk thing winning even if it did look interesting!

The other two were such a mess though. One completely collapsed and the audience for the other one looked like a bunch of toys. The details for the steam punk one looked really cool.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Christopher Irvine posted:

I would have said something about Sugar Dome but the DVR's too busy on Sundays for me to watch it.

Appleman is the only Iron Chef I'd accept.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Is it wrong that I want Marcel to win so they can bring in Ilan.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Toffile posted:

Is it wrong that I want Marcel to win so they can bring in Ilan.

I want Marcel to win but only so he can make a foam out of every secret ingredient.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

dude789 posted:

The other two were such a mess though. One completely collapsed and the audience for the other one looked like a bunch of toys. The details for the steam punk one looked really cool.

Yeah, the collapsed one was going to look bad no matter what so yikes.

I feel really bad because I'm sure they are talented. It kind of seems like the winners are people who can sculpt well and get their little mechanical elements to work, the actual tasting components and sugar/cake parts seem secondary.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Snooozzeeeee. He's fine but I don't think he's amazing.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

:tinfoil: time but I would be shocked if the next Iron Chef isn't a woman because Appleman has the pedigree but lacks Marcel's personality and vice versa. I would put money on it being Freitag just to crush Alex once again.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Mehta was the only guy I cared about in the season he was originally in. He was the only one that really seemed like an actual Iron Chef and I was pissed as gently caress when he lost.

Pretty sure one of them is. They're both established Food Network personalities, so it's better for one of them to be added as an Iron Chef than to bring in some new person. Plus, Alex is/was Zakarian's sous chef on Iron Chef, so she's got the experience.

What I'm saying is this show isn't so much a competition to find a new Iron Chef, as it is promotion for an already-chosen new Iron Chef.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Jamesman posted:

Pretty sure one of them is. They're both established Food Network personalities, so it's better for one of them to be added as an Iron Chef than to bring in some new person. Plus, Alex is/was Zakarian's sous chef on Iron Chef, so she's got the experience.

What I'm saying is this show isn't so much a competition to find a new Iron Chef, as it is promotion for an already-chosen new Iron Chef.

I hate to get all :tinfoil: but this entire season kind of lost my interest since it seemed like they've had a heavy Alex bias in the episodes I've seen. I remember seeing her as a competitor and flat out saying it was all just for her to actually win it.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Robviously posted:

I hate to get all :tinfoil: but this entire season kind of lost my interest since it seemed like they've had a heavy Alex bias in the episodes I've seen. I remember seeing her as a competitor and flat out saying it was all just for her to actually win it.

I watched the whole season and thought it was rigged for Falkner.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Jamesman posted:

Yup.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
From the beginning, I was rooting for Guarnaschelli or Freitag, despite thinking it'd be Falkner or Mehta in the end. Then both of them got knocked out in a row by Appleman of all people, so now I don't know what the gently caress to think.

I still hope it's Alex or Amanda, though. I'm pretty sure it'll be one of them, since Cat Cora leaving left Iron Chef a total sausage fest.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not convinced NIC is rigged, because that implies someone would choose Marc Forgione.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'm not convinced NIC is rigged, because that implies someone would choose Marc Forgione.

Alton Brown has said that he hates doing Next Iron Chef and Food Network Star (he called the most recent FNS the most unpleasant project he's ever done), and I've always presumed that it's because the shows are rigged.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

jscolon2.0 posted:

This Symon guy we picked was a big hit! Clearly it's because he's edgy. Go find me someone who's got even worse hair than a soul patch and an even more manic disposition!

NB: above comparison not a dis on symon because dude's talented and not a dick

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

jscolon2.0 posted:

I was prepared to say that Iron Chefs need to be likable but then I remembered Bobby Flay and welp

I miss Cat Cora and I can't stand his attitude and the other guy seems like he's okay but uninteresting.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

I was prepared to say that Iron Chefs need to be likable but then I remembered Bobby Flay and welp

I miss Cat Cora and I can't stand his attitude and the other guy seems like he's okay but uninteresting.

I feel like Flay warmed up over time. These days, however, I think Iron Chefs should definitely be likeable and have some personality. Mehta was HORRIBLE for IC, and so is Appleman. I really don't see Alex G being very Iron Chefy, but I didn't really think Zakarian was going to win either.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Mehta is really talented and I don't want to discount that, but I just don't enjoy watching him cook. That seems like a really stupid criticism until you realize oh, wait, I'm never actually making anything I see on Iron Chef so if I don't enjoy watching them work then what's the point?

A little charisma matters. Flay has definitely improved himself over time.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Just saw a promo for that new show that Anthony Bourdain is hosting on ABC. Looks interesting. It looks like it's a culinary version of The Voice. Basically, a panel of 4 blind taste a one bite item and choose based on which was best. Only bummer is that it doesn't premiere until January 22nd.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Alton Brown has said that he hates doing Next Iron Chef and Food Network Star (he called the most recent FNS the most unpleasant project he's ever done), and I've always presumed that it's because the shows are rigged.

A lot of the live stuff Alton's been doing has been to promote the shows, but then he's also the guy that berated all those people on FNS because they had no sense of how to actually be on television.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
He also spammed the poo poo out of his twitter for FNS, which he probably didn't have to do (especially if he hated it so much.)

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Mehta is really talented and I don't want to discount that, but I just don't enjoy watching him cook. That seems like a really stupid criticism until you realize oh, wait, I'm never actually making anything I see on Iron Chef so if I don't enjoy watching them work then what's the point?

A little charisma matters. Flay has definitely improved himself over time.

Absolutely. I genuinely enjoy watching Chef Symon cook on Iron Chef because of his personality. I only really care about Symon, Flay, and Morimoto these days, to be honest. The other NIC winners have been pretty dull.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 11, 2012

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I'm only disappointed because Mehta was totally robbed on his season and Falkner was so far and away my favorite so with both of them gone (in consecutive weeks no less) I'm pretty apathetic about everyone but Freitag, who clearly underperformed on NICA: Super Chefs.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I was finally able to catch an episode of Sandra Lee's Taverns, Lounges, and Clubs. It was everything I hoped it would be.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

While watching chopped redemption last night:

Chris Santos: You forgot the root beer schnapps and you served me an inedible carrot that's basically raw.

My dad: Yeah? Well you're an rear end in a top hat.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Timby posted:

Isn't ICA itself rigged, though? Maybe not the final outcome, but they know days in advance what the ingredient is going to be and the chefs don't even cook their meals for the judges, they just make the B roll plate. The sous make the judging plates later.

I always assumed NICA was basically the same way, a little competition sprinkled on a pile of reality TV bullshit. Not that we don't still watch it though, because that's just the kind of relationship my wife and I have with Food Network.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Isn't ICA itself rigged, though? Maybe not the final outcome, but they know days in advance what the ingredient is going to be and the chefs don't even cook their meals for the judges, they just make the B roll plate. The sous make the judging plates later.

I thought the wya it worked was they know 1 of like 3 possible ingredients because they basically go to them and say "if you got this ingredient, what else would you need" and the chefs know what the ingredient is by what's in their pantry. I think this happens to both sides though.

I also thought that the chefs did in fact make the dishes for the judges, it's just they are given extra time to do so, while what we see on air is them making the B roll plates.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I thought the wya it worked was they know 1 of like 3 possible ingredients because they basically go to them and say "if you got this ingredient, what else would you need" and the chefs know what the ingredient is by what's in their pantry. I think this happens to both sides though.

I also thought that the chefs did in fact make the dishes for the judges, it's just they are given extra time to do so, while what we see on air is them making the B roll plates.

This is around what the Unwrapped special said about the show. That they'll have a list of 3 items to guess from, they pick their pantries around those three possible items.

Apparently, everyone (including Alton) knows what the ingredient is as they show it multiple times to everyone but the chefs for usual testing purposes.

When the chefs see it on TV, they probably have guessed the ingredient but act surprised anyway.

They said that they keep the ingredients under a black cloth to keep the chefs from seeing though.

The chefs also cook the camera meal and all other meals. The goal is to cook the camera meal and if they don't get a chance to finish before time's out, it isn't allowed to be cooked as a meal for the judges. They then get enough time to make four separate meals (one for the Chairman/Alton if he's filling in).

For some reason, this is the only episode of Unwrapped that sticks in my head the most. Well, this and the one about behind the scenes at FN where they have Rachel Ray and Tyler Florence basically cooking on a set but Paula Deen is actually at her home in a specially built garage for her show.

I'm sure it's probably kind of annoying to have her dogs walking around freely during taping (which they seem to be allowed to do just fine).

They did go into Rachel Ray's labeling which I thought was kind of interesting. They pretty much bought all ingredients they needed for recipes, took ALL labeling off, and slapped on generic "Tomato Sauce", "Garlic Powder", etc. labels so as to not get companies or sponsors upset.

I do not know why I even remember all of this. I haven't seen Food Network in about 4 - 5 years and I haven't seen either of these Unwrapped episodes for much longer. Ah well.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 13, 2012

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was watching some reruns last night and saw am ad for Next Iron Chef; Redemption. I thought this was funny because all redemption means is "we used all our personalities last season so here they are again"

sleep_is_awesome
Jan 3, 2008
no really it is
For that Iron CHef: Redemption commercial, they cut to each chef doing something "cheffy" and I always have to laugh at Frietag because she has this angry scrunched up face, while chopping an onion in half with a Butcher's knife. I know it's to look dramatic but I keep imagining her in her kitchin at home chopping an onion, all in the manner of taking big swings at it, with a butcher's knife.

As for all the contestants, I do want Alex to lose, but late in the show, so I can hear more criticism of her plates. As for Mehta, I guess I have to blame the producers for showing him as one creepy sonofabitch. I wanna scour youtube and make a GIF of his shifty eyes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wait, I've been out of the loop for FN lately.

Wasn't Mehta an Iron Chef already after Garces? What the hell's going on? :(

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait, I've been out of the loop for FN lately.

Iron Chef America was Flay, , Batali and Puck. Puck quit after the first battle and then they added Morimoto. Cat Cora then became the first female Iron Chef which they just announced instead of allowing any buildup because Food Network are idiots. Michael Symon won the first season of Next Iron Chef, followed by Garces and Forgione then Zakarian.

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ThermoPhysical posted:

That rear end in a top hat couldn't see his colon if he had a colonscopy scope up his rear end. gently caress him. Make a beef tartar. Kill your holy meat. Oh, you can still preface it with "I will be the next Iron Chef. He went all in with his attitude, and it failed. Instead of a confident, deserving chef, he came off like an egotistical rear end in a top hat who sucked at cooking.

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
And I repeated. Skip the first post and this. It will be better for everyone.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I changed my mind. I want nothing more than to have Marcel as the next iron chef. It will be really really cool and I hope he makes it.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Thanks for airing a commercial for next week's episode, during this week's episode, that only had three of the contestants in it. Scripps! :argh:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
^^ lol'd when this happened ^^

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I changed my mind. I want nothing more than to have Marcel as the next iron chef. It will be really really cool and I hope he makes it.

Sorry Ozma, but Freitag's taking this.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I dunno about that but I knew Marcel was doomed. I was just thinking that he could make iron chef funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Is it too late to ask for gang tags?