Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

frumpsnake posted:

If you're running OpenELEC 3.0b4, that actually broke a lot of things. Not sure if its a bug with the beta or a fundamental change, but after upgrading I received messages that previously installed addons like nano, iperf etc. were broken despite working that day with beta 3.

Also, the changes in Frodo broke a lot of skins, they'll have to be updated.

Gotcha, thanks. Yeah i'm running whatever the latest official build is and i'm on auto-update. I think the latest is whatever the december 8th build is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Mister Fister posted:

Switched from Raspbmc to Openelec and holy crap Openelec runs so much smoother. I highly recommend Openelec.

Which versions are you comparing, and which features are smoother? I found no difference between the two about 10 days ago, it's really odd. In fact boot time was a bit longer in Openelec somehow.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Which versions are you comparing, and which features are smoother? I found no difference between the two about 10 days ago, it's really odd. In fact boot time was a bit longer in Openelec somehow.

The latest official release versions of each in the past couple of days. I'd get video stuttering every 3-5 minutes with raspbmc.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Shadaez posted:

Have any of you got Quake 3 running well? For me it's slow and there are graphics artifacts everywhere. I'm not even running it at 1080p, and I had everything on low and it's really bad. I've tried different OC settings (including none), and using different power supplies including a 2A one.

I know it's not really the purpose of the thing, but I really wanted to play Quake 3 on it :(

I gave it a whirl with Arch Linux (there's a precompiled build if you don't want to pull it from git and compile it) and although I hadn't configured sound it seemed to run pretty well.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
What are my options for a rechargable battery solution?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

SpaceAceJase posted:

What are my options for a rechargable battery solution?

Any battery-powered cell phone charger that supplies 5V at, what was it, a minimum of 700 mA? Something like one of these.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 11, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So after two months of nothing from Allied I ordered from Element and received my unit. Today I get an email from Allied that my order has shipped. I had requested info of the status of my order 3 times, they responded there was no record of my order. Just in case I requested they cancel it and they said no worries it would be handled.
And yeah, they charged my card too. Real nice operation they have going on there.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Dumb question, but i've been using openelec (official stable version) for a few days and downloaded subtitles from the subtitles addon don't seem to work. Is this an issue with the current release of openelec, or has it always been that way?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I saw a couple of guys talking about streaming webcam video across the netowrk with their RasPis and having trouble, I tried a couple of things before I found this http://sirlagz.net/2012/08/04/how-to-stream-a-webcam-from-the-raspberry-pi/ which worked for me using ffmpeg/ffserver.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to power a RasPi with lithium batteries? I've got 3 Raspberry Pis and about 26x 18650 batteries (some are hosed though) and I'd like to do things with it.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is anyone's (in the thread) kid using the Pi as a modern day C64 yet?

Just wondering.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

doritos posted:

Is anyone's (in the thread) kid using the Pi as a modern day C64 yet?

Just wondering.

If kids used to smoke weed off really hot C64 PSUs, then, technically, yes.

YOSVAPE status: We're hashing out tech issues with glue boards and temp sensors. But I have manually tested it, and it works. No real Pi integration right now, but it's just-around-the-corner.

Jimmmmah
Oct 11, 2000
Forum Veteran
I got my pi a few days ago and felt it was missing a case so I made this :

Seems to do the job - plus it should keep it ventilated being full of holes !

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Son of a Monkey posted:

Nice job. What kind of building blocks are those?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Son of a Monkey posted:

Hah, nice! I didn't think you could make 3D perler bead structures.

Jimmmmah
Oct 11, 2000
Forum Veteran
They are hama beads, which as far as I'm aware is exactly the same as perler beads - just different brand names. I basically made each layer separately and glued them together, the top needs a little hinge on it so I can take the pi in and out if I need to - at the moment it's loose. Pretty happy with the end result though !

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Son of a Monkey posted:

They are hama beads, which as far as I'm aware is exactly the same as perler beads - just different brand names. I basically made each layer separately and glued them together, the top needs a little hinge on it so I can take the pi in and out if I need to - at the moment it's loose. Pretty happy with the end result though !

That is pretty awesome. I may have to do something like that.

Is it sturdy in there or if you shook it would it bang around?

Jimmmmah
Oct 11, 2000
Forum Veteran

Moey posted:

That is pretty awesome. I may have to do something like that.

Is it sturdy in there or if you shook it would it bang around?

20x14 has a really nice tight fit on it and it doesn't shake around, but I wouldn't say it's sturdy. If I was going to improve it, i'd make a base plate for the inside bottom panel for the pi to sit on - you wouldn't be able to see it from the outside and it'd give more strength. If I stuck the lid down it'd be much better but I want to be able to get access to it at a later date.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just got a Model B from a friend for Christmas. Just have to figure out what to do with it...

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Bob Morales posted:

Just got a Model B from a friend for Christmas. Just have to figure out what to do with it...

I was in the same boat. I had been debating getting one for playing with XBMC on it, so that's what I ended up going with. I'm pretty impressed with the performance, but it's not quite up to what I was hoping for. Still, not atrocious. I just wish I weren't getting such frequent crashes. Maybe 20% of the videos I start end up crashing the app instantly. Not to say that it's a problem with the Pi, of course.

Edit: Just found an interesting thread on the OpenELEC forums suggesting booting from the SD and running OpenELEC itself (or whatever other XBMC-based distro) from a USB flash drive, and seeing significant performance increases in menus and such. May have to try that tonight. Details here.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 18, 2012

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

G-Prime posted:

Edit: Just found an interesting thread on the OpenELEC forums suggesting booting from the SD and running OpenELEC itself (or whatever other XBMC-based distro) from a USB flash drive, and seeing significant performance increases in menus and such. May have to try that tonight. Details here.

The slow menu navigation is my biggest gripe with XBMC on there. Let me know your results.

Masako
Mar 1, 2003

I would suggest giving xbian a try, if you haven't already. I've found it pretty drat fast as far as XBMC goes.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Moey posted:

The slow menu navigation is my biggest gripe with XBMC on there. Let me know your results.

Check out an OpenElec fork called DarkElec. It seems a hair faster than the base OpenElec for Raspberry Pi.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Masako posted:

I would suggest giving xbian a try, if you haven't already. I've found it pretty drat fast as far as XBMC goes.

What is what I am using, overclocked some too.

I am running an older version though, so maybe I will flash the new one onto a card and test.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
The foundation launched an 'app store'! This is pretty exciting news for wannabe programmers and could be the thing that sustains community interest in the PI.

Mister Fister posted:

The latest official release versions of each in the past couple of days. I'd get video stuttering every 3-5 minutes with raspbmc.

Thanks! Grainy 1080p over NFS is my benchmark and OpenElec does a bit better than RaspBMC with that. RaspBMC ain't too shabby with smoothed 1080p though. However there is still a lot of latency when reading from USB drives in both .___.

Lanithro
Aug 31, 2006

Moey posted:

Running raspbmc, and I put everything (except /boot) onto a USB drive. The menu navigation is definitely snappier.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lanithro posted:

Running raspbmc, and I put everything (except /boot) onto a USB drive. The menu navigation is definitely snappier.

Can you just copy all of the files from the sd card onto a USB drive or do you have to do something else?

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Can you just copy all of the files from the sd card onto a USB drive or do you have to do something else?

http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-pi/46413-howto-install-openelec-on-raspberry-pi-on-a-tiny-sd-and-a-1gb-usb-drive

You basically just need to install it like normal but instead of choosing your sd card choose the usb drive. Then after that edit the 'cmdline.txt' file to point toward the partition on the usb drive. (just copy what the guy in the link used). Should be the same for xbian and rasbmc.

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.
Is it possible to launch Chromium with Advanced Launcher on OpenElec? Tried to just launch bash as a test before going any further since I know it will be probably quite involved trying to get dependencies on there and just got an error indicating a problem with addon.py but I'm probably using it completely wrong. Trying to put together a little htpc for my dad for Christmas and picked up an SIIG wireless keyboard on sale at Fry's and I know he'd love to be able to browse the internet on the TV with it or youtube videos.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
I'm having some performance issues with my Pi. I've installed SABnzbd on it, and I'm only able to download with ~10Mbit, but I have a 30Mbit connection. I've tried several usenet providers and different amount of connections, but nothing works. Is it possible to speed up the download speed?

The Pi is running Wheezy.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kristneder posted:

I'm having some performance issues with my Pi. I've installed SABnzbd on it, and I'm only able to download with ~10Mbit, but I have a 30Mbit connection. I've tried several usenet providers and different amount of connections, but nothing works. Is it possible to speed up the download speed?

The Pi is running Wheezy.

Is your sdcard I/O bound at 10Mbit (1.25MB/s)? Are you hitting it over SSL and CPU capping the Pi? Do you have any performance metrics at all?

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

evol262 posted:

Is your sdcard I/O bound at 10Mbit (1.25MB/s)? Are you hitting it over SSL and CPU capping the Pi? Do you have any performance metrics at all?

I'm a linux newb, so I don't know how to monitor the CPU (I'm doing everything through SSH). I connect to usenet with SSL.

This is the SDCARD model: TS16GSDHC6, class 6 so it should be able to read/write with 6MB/s.

I ran this command:
dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=1048576 count=2048

And got these results:
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 175.269 s, 12.3 MB/s

Kristneder fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 20, 2012

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kristneder posted:

I'm a linux newb, so I don't know how to monitor the CPU (I'm doing everything SSH). I connect to usenet with SSL.

This is the SDCARD model: TS16GSDHC6, class 6 so it should be able to read/write with 6MB/s.

You're probably CPU bound on SSL.

Run "top" while you're pulling from SAB.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

evol262 posted:

You're probably CPU bound on SSL.

Run "top" while you're pulling from SAB.

I'm trying without SSL now. Same result. :-(

Kristneder fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 20, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Posting from my Pi!

I compiled nmap from source, it went faster than I figured it would -

real 35m45.706s
user 33m0.120s
sys 0m59.860s

My C2D MacBook does it in like 1m15. But I was afraid it would still be running when I woke up this morning, so that's not bad at all.

I had to try a couple phone chargers before I got one that let me type for more than a minute or two without goofing up the keyboard input. Also need to dig up the HDMI -> DVI converter I have in my desk somewhere so that I don't have to stand in front of my TV to use this thing.

I installed Wheezy and it seems to be running okay. Couldn't log in to the forums with Dillo, probably a cookie issue. Using Midori instead.

If you're using a Macbook to write the SD card, make sure you use /dev/rdiskn instead of /dev/diskn - the raw disk devices are about 10 times faster. You'll only see 1.5-2.0MB/s no matter what speed card you are using if you don't.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kristneder posted:

I'm trying without SSL now. Same result. :-(

You're CPU bound. At least it's Python and not interrupts for the NIC.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Currently tearing my hair out with one of these things. A co-worker bought one for her son to play around with python. She wanted me to install an OS and generally get it as plug/play as possible for her.

So far I've gone through four different micro-USB cables, three keyboards, two mice, two cellphone chargers, an apple charger, various workstation USB ports and two SD cards.

I think the keyboard has worked probably six times so far. Sometimes I can see the keyboard/mouse recognized as it starts up, sometimes not. Sometimes it works for a while, most of the time not. One time when it was working I came back to it a couple hours later and it had frozen, had to pull the power, the keyboard wasn't recognized when it came back up.

This morning it froze half way through the download phase of an apt-get upgrade with just the power, sd card and nic plugged in. I power-cycled it and now the NIC doesn't work - no link/activity lights on from boot but no nic errors in the boot log either. What a piece of poo poo.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

ozmunkeh posted:

Currently tearing my hair out with one of these things. A co-worker bought one for her son to play around with python. She wanted me to install an OS and generally get it as plug/play as possible for her.

So far I've gone through four different micro-USB cables, three keyboards, two mice, two cellphone chargers, an apple charger, various workstation USB ports and two SD cards.

I think the keyboard has worked probably six times so far. Sometimes I can see the keyboard/mouse recognized as it starts up, sometimes not. Sometimes it works for a while, most of the time not. One time when it was working I came back to it a couple hours later and it had frozen, had to pull the power, the keyboard wasn't recognized when it came back up.

This morning it froze half way through the download phase of an apt-get upgrade with just the power, sd card and nic plugged in. I power-cycled it and now the NIC doesn't work - no link/activity lights on from boot but no nic errors in the boot log either. What a piece of poo poo.

Did you stop to think maybe it's broken?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

DNova posted:

Did you stop to think maybe it's broken?

That was my first thought then I went looking through the official forums and it seems full of people discussing which usb keyboards actually work with it and what are the best cables to purchase so I'm leaning towards "bad product".

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

evol262 posted:

You're CPU bound. At least it's Python and not interrupts for the NIC.

Okay. I'll have to find another program than SAB then :-/

Thanks for the info. =)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

ozmunkeh posted:

That was my first thought then I went looking through the official forums and it seems full of people discussing which usb keyboards actually work with it and what are the best cables to purchase so I'm leaning towards "bad product".

It really depends on what the power situation is, what are you using to get the thing powered? To continue, the usb connections on the Pi can only support 100ma or less of current which is why people suggest using *powered* usb hubs if you want to use devices that require more power. The back of any device should have a power rating, if I look at the stuff I've used I can see my mouse requires 5v/100ma (perfect).

Cell phone chargers tend to suck if they are off-brand or below spec, they need to supply at least 5v/700ma of power. If you aren't supplying at least that (and it's clean, I've seen a few different "5v" adapters that waver between 4-8v).

Honestly though, it really could just be a bad board unless you've been ignoring the above concepts.