Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
The trailer for that actually looks pretty cool. Will Smith is doing Morgan Freeman for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Meanwhile Morgan Freeman starring in a different sci-fi action movie about a hostile Earth devoid of human life.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

His son is the main reason it isn't I Am Legend in a forest.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
That movie looks like it sucks a whole lot more than it actually will. I heard Jaden was actually pretty decent in the Karate Kid remake. The weak link here is M. Night.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Cleretic posted:

That movie looks like it sucks a whole lot more than it actually will. I heard Jaden was actually pretty decent in the Karate Kid remake. The weak link here is M. Night.

At the very least take solace that he didn't write this film. Gary Whitta (a Giantbomb favorite, and wrote the forth episode of the Walking Dead TellTale game) is one of the writers.

Night is a good visual director, what gets him into trouble is when he puts his mitts all over the scripts.

Edit..aw crap nevermind..thanks wikipedia
"Principal photography for After Earth began in February 2012. The script was originally written by Gary Whitta, rewritten by Shyamalan and finally polished by Stephen Gaghan in late 2011."

It's going to suck.

Autechresaint fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 11, 2012

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Autechresaint posted:

At the very least take solace that he didn't write this film. Gary Whitta (a Giantbomb favorite, and wrote the forth episode of the Walking Dead TellTale game) is one of the writers.

Night is a good visual director, what gets him into trouble is when he puts his mitts all over the scripts.

"Principal photography for After Earth began in February 2012. The script was originally written by Gary Whitta, rewritten by Shyamalan and finally polished by Stephen Gaghan in late 2011."

It's going to suck.

Whitta is responsible for The Book of Eli, so I wouldn't have had much hope even if Shyamalan hadn't done a rewrite.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

uPen posted:

• "Star Trek: First Contact"-- $146 million.
• "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"--$139 million.
"Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home"--$133 million.
• "Star Trek Generations"--$120 million.
• "Star Trek: Insurrection"--$118 million.
• "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"--$97 million.
• "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country"--$96.9 million.
• "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock"--$87 million.
• "Star Trek Nemesis"--$67 million.
• "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier"--$63 million.

Nobody?
You should adjust that for inflation:
Star Trek 2009 - $402 million
Nemesis - $83 million
Insurrection - $153 million
First Contact - $206.6 million
Generations - $176 million
The Undiscovered Country - $157 million
The Final Frontier - $112.51 million
The Voyage Home - $268.47 million
Search for Spock - $185.39 million
Wrath of Khan - $222.49 million
Star Trek The Motion Picture - $423.89 million

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 11, 2012

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

You should adjust that for inflation:
Star Trek 2009 - $402 million
Nemesis - $83 million
Insurrection - $153 million
First Contact - $206.6 million
The Undiscovered Country - $157 million
The Final Frontier - $112.51 million
The Voyage Home - $268.47 million
Search for Spock - $185.39 million
Wrath of Khan - $222.49 million
Star Trek The Motion Picture - $423.89 million

I can see where WoK has the criticism for being "slow and plodding". That's a big drop in sales from The Motion Picture. It's also weird how the ebb goes. The "even Trek movies are the better/best" is evident after WoK, with Voyage Home being the best out of the original series, but the box office shrinking as series progressed. I thought The Undiscovered Country did better.

Wait, there's no Generations there.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Wait, there's no Generations there.

That's the kind of world I wanna live in.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tears In A Vial posted:

That's the kind of world I wanna live in.

Time is the fiah in which we BURRRRN.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
But I think that time is a companion that accompanies us on our wonderful warghablaahgablasomebodywaspaidtowritethat.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Autechresaint posted:

It's going to suck.

Smith is producing though and he's enough of a powerhouse to keep M Night in check. At least I would hope he has enough pull.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Design by emoticon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Smith is producing though and he's enough of a powerhouse to keep M Night in check. At least I would hope he has enough pull.

Also when Smith does a movie doesn't he have his own personal script doctors go over it?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Why is that 14 year old boy headed off to World War II?

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Gonz posted:

Why is that 14 year old boy headed off to World War II?

To help the war effort!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 6, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Rumor had it that the Hun was terrified of Britain's junior high Shock troops.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 6, 2014

OozieNelson
Dec 20, 2008
M. Night Shyamalan's "After Earth" w/ little Jaden photoshopped up at the top and not blended in at all.

Much better than these 2 though:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hahaha they have to go all the way back to Unbreakable. Also maybe I'm going crazy but Jaden Smith looks like Joseph Gordon Levitt there.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mister Chief posted:

Design by emoticon.

:smug::geno:

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A good way to tell if Smith was able to keep M. Night in check is to ask one simple question: does M. Night act in the film?

Well, wait, that's not a good question, because the answer is always no. Is M. Night in the movie?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

marktheando posted:

Hahaha they have to go all the way back to Unbreakable. Also maybe I'm going crazy but Jaden Smith looks like Joseph Gordon Levitt there.

Those are fan posters.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the other one is, too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can't hear After Earth without thinking of Titan: AE.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Even if these are fan posters I like them because they evoke a sense of Scientology that is strongly wafting off the family these days.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

marktheando posted:

:stare:

gently caress, now I can't unsee it!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

It looks like Will Smith is carrying some sort of E.T. version of himself in his backpack, like Yoda and Luke Skywalker.

And he is not amused.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
So, I think I found a new trend in movie posters....

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Star Trek would have been improved strongly if it had Nic Cage as a CGI caveman

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Slippery Nipple posted:

And thus begins the fall of Will Smith, brought down by the terrible acting of his own son.

Anyone that can survive both Men in Black II and Wild Wild West is pretty much bulletproof.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Steven Soderbergh's next (last?) film. I think there was another poster similar to this recently but I can't remember what it was.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's a great teaser poster and even if it wasn't, even if it didn't have Jude Law, even if it wasn't directed by Soderbergh I'd still see it because after Dragon Tattoo I'd pay to watch Rooney Mara stand in line at the DMV.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

marktheando posted:

Also maybe I'm going crazy but Jaden Smith looks like Joseph Gordon Levitt there.

Holy poo poo I thought the exact same thing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The best way to get my rear end in a seat is to cast Rooney Mara in something.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Red_Museum posted:

Steven Soderbergh's next (last?) film. I think there was another poster similar to this recently but I can't remember what it was.

That's pretty sweet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ManifunkDestiny posted:

It's not new. It's been happening since this poster:

Those are both just a slight variation on it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Red_Museum posted:

Is that anybody's signature? I thought it was Soderbergh's.

I like how all the actors and producers have their names there so matter-of-fact-ly like a list in a real form.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

It's not new. It's been happening since this poster:

Those are both just a slight variation on it.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

You guys really think Standing In Front of Something is a design trend and not a fundamental aesthetic basis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It is absolutely a current trend in poster designs.