Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

zonohedron posted:

Well, what if Birgitte can find his dream - maybe with a dream ter'angreal that works for a nonchanneler? That said, it's hard to imagine what an infant's experience of T'A'R would be like...

Huge clouds of tits all over the place. Every once in a while you have to dispel a nightmare that consists of a single loud clap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uruloki
Jan 8, 2007

SHIT YEAH, REQUISITION ME SOME OF THAT SHIT, BITCH

SKILCRAFT
QUALITY BLIND MADE PRODUCTS, BITCH

He's the kid that is following Mat around.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

uruloki posted:

He's the kid that is following Mat around.

A good theory, but denied by RJ in one of his rare unequivocal answers.

RJ at Dayton, OH book signing posted:

Q: Is Olver Gaidal Cain?
RJ: No. I didn't really think that this would last as long as it has. The timing is wrong. He has another reason for being there besides being a red herring, though.

Q: He's too old.
RJ: Yes. Time in T'A'R and the real world run at different rates, but it never runs backwards. You may spend an hour in T'A'R, and a day has passed when you get back, or you may spend a day, and an hour has passed when you get back, but you'll never go in on Tuesday and come back on Monday.

Q: Is the difference in time constant?
RJ: No. It's fairly random. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes the same as real time.

Q: It's different for different people, then?
RJ: Yes. Unless they're together in T'A'R. Then the same amount of time passes for them obviously.

wellwhoopdedooo fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 6, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Day #11?

"One more thing, the marath'damane . . ."
"I'll deal with those channelers personally," Mat said.
She gawked at him as if he were insane.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
speculation/commentary

I really think that Mat and Fortuona might develop a relationship of mutual respect , trust, and purhaps "near" equal power. In that they both trust that the other will be up to some scheme that either one will find distasteful, but still respect their intentions, however misguided.
Sometimes Fortuona will have the upper hand due to the cultural barrier, and more Imperial might on her side (the house always wins).
Other times it will be Mat, due to cultural misunderstandings, the fact that he's probably the only completely honest and open "Noble" the Seanchan have had for years, and he has the shear gall to suggest and pull off impossible and legendary deeds. Also he is the only one to make lady luck his bride both figuratively and literally (I love that her name's Fortuona).

Everything else considered, I'd like to see if Mat might restore the Gardeners to their Ogier roots. Also, even though thematically it would be more appropriate for Perrin, I wonder if he finds the lost song of the Tuatha'an (perhaps a sung to the tune of the Horn?).
Of all the satellite books I wished could have been written Mat and Tuon's restoration of Seanchan is the one that I wouldn't mind being taken on by another author, so long as enough of the notes were left to give it justice.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

api call girl posted:

Day #11?

"One more thing, the marath'damane . . ."
"I'll deal with those channelers personally," Mat said.
She gawked at him as if he were insane.

Maybe they're talking about Black Ajah channelers?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Recursive Expanse posted:

speculation/commentary

Also he is the only one to make lady luck his bride both figuratively and literally (I love that her name's Fortuona).

Oh, goddamnit. I know there's a lot of stuff in WoT to catch, but how did I miss that.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
On my reread, a couple of the puns make no sense unless everyone is speaking English, or at least a language with many words in common with English. It tickles me to think that there is all this talk of the Old Tongue, the knowledge of which is a mark of culture, when they are already speaking a language predating any such tongue and which is 7 000 years+ old.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
On the language thing. I know this probably isn't the case, but I might keep it in my own "fanfiction" cosmology to explain some of the weirdness and inconsistency with how the old tongue is treated in the earlier books as a seemingly magical language that can be spoken by old bloodlines with absolutely no explanation of why.

I'd like to think that in the age of Legends or the preceding Age, that there were discoveries of talents and creation of Ter'angreal of such abstract composition that they could barely be perceived by people of the third age, much less understood even as Ter'angreal.

I'm not sure if there are any other examples of such strange compositions (except perhaps the steddings or the ways). Still I like to think that the ancients were so powerful that they actually made a Ter'angreal out of language itself. By somehow tying it to the concept of language, or into the memories of people reborn, the Old tongue itself is a Ter'angreal of unkown purpose. Perhaps creating a unified language was a necessary step to world peace, or a way for the general populace to become more docile to the suggestions of the Aes Sedai ruling councils.

If this could be the case, then the song of the Nhym and the Aiel might be another of these abstract Ter'angreal.
One could be TAR, but I think that place serves another purpose as a constant throughout the ages.

SO, theres that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Neurosis posted:

On my reread, a couple of the puns make no sense unless everyone is speaking English, or at least a language with many words in common with English. It tickles me to think that there is all this talk of the Old Tongue, the knowledge of which is a mark of culture, when they are already speaking a language predating any such tongue and which is 7 000 years+ old.

I always tell myself that the puns are translated, too, into analogous English puns.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I always tell myself that the puns are translated, too, into analogous English puns.

As I understand it, this is, in fact, what actual translators try to do when they can. See Le Ton Beau de Moreau by Douglas Hofstadter for a really interesting take on the challenges of literary translation.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

See also "Hompen, eller En resa dit och tillbaksigen" ("The Hobbit, or A journey there and back again"), translated to Swedish by Tore Zetterholm, was the first non-English edition of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit (and thus the first translation of any work by Tolkien).

Some other curiosities about Zetterholm's translation are his renderings of 'Bilbo' to 'Bimbo' :haw:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Day #12 "Enough talk. You will bed me now."

Only 2 popular choices here, though we could go with Pevara and Androl.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

api call girl posted:

Day #12 "Enough talk. You will bed me now."

Only 2 popular choices here, though we could go with Pevara and Androl.

Two? Aviendha or... Min?, to Rand? Or did you have someone else in mind?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

zonohedron posted:

Two? Aviendha or... Min?, to Rand? Or did you have someone else in mind?

Mat and Tuon?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's the second promotional video TOR has put together. They are saying there should be one more. Its a little sad to see them talk about his death though. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrfUoR4Z9Ig

http://www.dragonmount.com/index.ph...onmount+News%29

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
That was pretty awesome.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
#13 "We must spread the word to all of our allies," Amys said. "We must not use this weave."

Balefire? I think they'd have had warning enough not to use it by now though.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

api call girl posted:

#13 "We must spread the word to all of our allies," Amys said. "We must not use this weave."

It's either Balefire, or some completely new weave. I'm not sure if the wise ones were ever really aware of balefire, it was not even very well known in the tower, if I recall correctly.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

api call girl posted:

Aviendha and Elayne figured out how to reverse engineer the Ter'Dildo into its base weave.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
#14 That, she replied back, is something one should never, never say to an Aes Sedai. Ever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

api call girl posted:

#14 That, she replied back, is something one should never, never say to an Aes Sedai. Ever.

Oh my, it's competition time, isn't it?

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

api call girl posted:

Hmm ... childish and petulant with a strong sense of entitlement. It's got to be Elayne.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I'm closer to 15 years myself, but I feel the same way. I personally feel there's only one way the epilogue can truly close:

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Fourth Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in what was once called Shayol Ghul. The wind was not the ending. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was an ending.

I completely agree with this post here. In fact, I got a little choked up by how perfect it is. It's completely safe to hover over if you're trying for a blackout before release day.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

werdnam posted:

Hmm ... childish and petulant with a strong sense of entitlement. It's got to be Elayne.

On the other hand, she can't talk to anyone completely inside her head.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

api call girl posted:

On the other hand, she can't talk to anyone completely inside her head.

Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by that?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
There were no quotes, indicating that she wasn't speaking aloud.

It could be something she's replying to by letter, perhaps to Mat. Leave it to Mat to say something to piss off an Aes Sedai queen and then shrug about it.

*EDIT*
Speaking of the writing style for mat, I want to know whether it was Jordan or Sanderson who had Mat use "Saidar" as a verb. For some reason that line made me laugh very hard.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
I went over to the "Dragonmount" forum for the first time in probably a decade and a really odd thread by one of the admins moaning about the Beta reading (I think) of Towers of Midnight and Sanderson in general. Does anyone have any idea what in the world that is about?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bizob posted:

I went over to the "Dragonmount" forum for the first time in probably a decade and a really odd thread by one of the admins moaning about the Beta reading (I think) of Towers of Midnight and Sanderson in general. Does anyone have any idea what in the world that is about?

I'm not entirely sure what was happening there, but if I were to hazard a guess, he read the beta and realized that Sanderson has a different writing style than RJ. To be fair I expected a Grade A flip out ages ago; Sanderson does have a very different writing style after all. Some of the discussion later in the thread indicated it was linked to some RJ versus Sanderson bullshit. Apparently this admin has done some other poo poo as well regarding this, but I wasn't gonna spend too much time hunting that down.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
#15 “It is a simple thing, to stop a man’s heart,” Cadsuane said, arms folded.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

caleramaen posted:

I'm not entirely sure what was happening there, but if I were to hazard a guess, he read the beta and realized that Sanderson has a different writing style than RJ. To be fair I expected a Grade A flip out ages ago; Sanderson does have a very different writing style after all. Some of the discussion later in the thread indicated it was linked to some RJ versus Sanderson bullshit. Apparently this admin has done some other poo poo as well regarding this, but I wasn't gonna spend too much time hunting that down.

So basically it's a bunch of :downswords:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

api call girl posted:

[insert romcom laugh-track]

Perhaps A Memory of Light will be the first 100% dedicated romance book in the series? :allears:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

api call girl posted:

Girl knows the sa'sara.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Die-hard Wheel of Time fans are a strange lot.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
posting from phone but, Leigh butler's spoiler free review of amol is up on tor.com

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Die-hard Wheel of Time fans are a strange lot.

As someone who used to be a board admin on Dragonmount, I concur with this statement.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

api call girl posted:

posting from phone but, Leigh butler's spoiler free review of amol is up on tor.com

Here's the link for those you want to see: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/12/the-wheel-of-time-a-memory-of-light-spoiler-free-review

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Holy Law of Conservation of Characters, Batman! When was the last time we saw ________, TGH? Heh. I'm guessing it is going to be Ingtar, it's been awhile but I don't remember seeing him die specifically. Who else could it be?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

calandryll posted:

Holy Law of Conservation of Characters, Batman! When was the last time we saw ________, TGH? Heh. I'm guessing it is going to be Ingtar, it's been awhile but I don't remember seeing him die specifically. Who else could it be?

Lots of characters haven't been on-screen since TGH--Agelmar for example, except for a one-mention cameo in TPoD prologue. He's with the Borderlander army right now and is way overdue for an appearance. The specific usage here seems to suggest a relatively minor character, though. Possibly the innkeeper woman outside Cairhien?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Oh, good, "OH MY PEEPS" showed up in a "professional" book review.

edit: ugh, yeah, don't bother with that review. It's just random out-of-context statements and SQUEEEEEEE for a few pages. Kinda useless.

edit edit: O MY PEEPS shows up TWICE no less. FFS.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 11, 2012

• Locked thread