Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

After having Fluster in my life, I whole-heartedly endorse this recommendation.

Do banty cochins, frizzles, and sizzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Orpingtons :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Black Copper Marans! :3:

Because Marans chicks are sooooo adorable with their little white chests and bottoms, looking like baby penguins! Also, Black Copper Marans adults have beautiful coppery heads/necks with a black body.

Also requesting Frizzle or Sizzle chicks because curly feathers are oh-so-cute! :D

below: Black Copper Marans chickz!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^^ Lookit dos feet! :neckbeard:

Yeah, our Frizzles are all very old, and there is seriously nothing cuter than a bantam Frizzle Cochin. I'd also like so D'Anvers (Quail Bantams) cause...fluffy faces, ya know. Bantam Brahmas and more Salmon Faverolles would be awesome.

Never been a fan of Naked Necks to tell you the truth, although Showgirls are hilarious looking.

Silkies likely wouldn't do well with our winters with all the freezing mud.

Those blue splash Marans are gorgeous, as are Coronation Sussex.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 8, 2012

Hyper J
Jul 28, 2004

Inveigle posted:

Black Copper Marans! :3:

Because Marans chicks are sooooo adorable with their little white chests and bottoms, looking like baby penguins! Also, Black Copper Marans adults have beautiful coppery heads/necks with a black body.

Also requesting Frizzle or Sizzle chicks because curly feathers are oh-so-cute! :D

below: Black Copper Marans chickz!

These! I agree but I have them too now so I am biased haha! Also the eggs are sooo awesome. Rich chocolate brown with thick shells and such yummy insides. At 4 weeks its almost too easy to tell the roos apart from the girls too.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Hyper J posted:

These! I agree but I have them too now so I am biased haha! Also the eggs are sooo awesome. Rich chocolate brown with thick shells and such yummy insides. At 4 weeks its almost too easy to tell the roos apart from the girls too.

Lookit these pretty Black Copper Marans! Although I am partial to black/white chickens, I love their coppery heads and necks. Also, chocolate eggs! :3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
I am voting Faverolles, Blue Splash Marans and any Cochin, Frizzle mucho feather types of chickens! :swoon:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

What chickens to get? Easy: all of them :colbert:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Please get at least one Polish frizzle. Please please please please please? They're just so ridiculous.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Please get at least one Polish frizzle. Please please please please please? They're just so ridiculous.

You know, I LOVE Polish hens but my boys ignore them, like they are ducks or something. :( Poor girls don't get no love. Phoenix actually mated Poof one year, we gave some eggs to a friend who hatched them and drat are they CUTE lil' spikyheaded things. Since then nuthin' for the poor Polish girls.

Yes, I KNOW the solution is to have a Polish roo for the girls. Shut up, not enough pens right now.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

White rocks are so under rated. Mine have become my favorite in my little flock. They are the most outgoing and curious of my girls.

But, other than that, of breeds you've mentioned...I'd say Faverolles!

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Heres some more polish frizzle pictures!

You could get some Japanese and have ridiculous little sailboat birds in the yard!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

TIM THE ENCHANTER - OMG Some of those photos I can't tell which side is up, HILARIOUSLY ADORABLE! :swoon:

I have a question since you a breeder. What are the odds of the frizzle gene showing itself in the final product?

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ive never seen a frizzle show up at random, usually chicks from a frizzle parent will all be frizzles so if you acquire one of the chicks from them that actually isnt a frizzle,most of the chicks from THAT bird will be frizzles any way. If I get a bird from someone that has frizzle babies I get rid of it immediately since Ive got enough Cochin colors to fuss over and go crazy about.

Frizzle frizzle frizzle frizzle frizzle frizzle frizzle
I only like Frizzles because they have a Z in their name.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Hey NettleSoup what about a Frizzle Orpington! Can you imagine the look of a broody Frizzle Orpington! In the UK you have an assortment of Orpington colors, chocolate, lemon, lavender, blue. Here in the US we can just hope and dream.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'd love a whole flock of the cuckoo partridge orpingtons http://www.kippenencyclopedie.nl/php/index.php?title=Orpington

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

How could you have a flock of all the same kind of chicken? I've been looking at all the different breeds and assembling my perfect mix-n-match flock even though I can't have chickens for the forseeable future.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Alterian posted:

I'd love a whole flock of the cuckoo partridge orpingtons http://www.kippenencyclopedie.nl/php/index.php?title=Orpington

Or perhaps a whole flock of Orpington in all the different color variations!

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Ive never seen a frizzle show up at random, usually chicks from a frizzle parent will all be frizzles so if you acquire one of the chicks from them that actually isnt a frizzle,most of the chicks from THAT bird will be frizzles any way. If I get a bird from someone that has frizzle babies I get rid of it immediately since Ive got enough Cochin colors to fuss over and go crazy about.

Frizzle frizzle frizzle frizzle frizzle frizzle frizzle
I only like Frizzles because they have a Z in their name.

And own a Magic Schoolbus?

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/orpingtons/

Just because I care, Alterian, just because I care :devil:
Greenfire Farms is hella expensive, but I've noticed that once Greenfire has done the hard work of importing the birds, a few years later other breeders are selling chicks for a less breathtaking price. There are a bunch of people in the US who have Lavender Orpingtons.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

WrathofKhan posted:

http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/orpingtons/

Just because I care, Alterian, just because I care :devil:
Greenfire Farms is hella expensive, but I've noticed that once Greenfire has done the hard work of importing the birds, a few years later other breeders are selling chicks for a less breathtaking price. There are a bunch of people in the US who have Lavender Orpingtons.

If you are considering buying birds from that place, please PM me first!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Unfortunately we can't get anymore chickens at this time. We might be building a bigger coop/fenced area next spring. If we do, we can get 3 more! Right now the 3 we have can run around our entire backyard, but we just had a baby. We have to start prepping the yard so he can play outside. I don't want him getting into chicken poo poo just running around. Our backyard grass is so incredibly lush though. Oh well.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Greenfire has some for sale at this website at times: https://www.rarebreedauctions.com I check this site out all the time and dream on.

EDIT: Just thinking, a whole flock of assorted Orpington would be just like Tim and his Cochins! Broody, fluffy chickens, the thought makes me smile.

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 12, 2012

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
There's a big part of me that just wants a single flock full of my chosen breed, so I could really focus on raising just those. But then I look at all the other breeds, and oh, I could have so many different colored eggs...

I guess the solution will be two flocks, eventually.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

RabbitMage posted:

There's a big part of me that just wants a single flock full of my chosen breed, so I could really focus on raising just those. But then I look at all the other breeds, and oh, I could have so many different colored eggs...

I guess the solution will be two flocks, eventually.

First you start off with just 3 hens, because you only want them for a few eggs, and who needs a roo? You'll never want more than these.
Uh oh, the girls look lonely and unfulfilled. And that roo at the feed store is SO CUTE AND SWEET!
The roo is adorable leading his girls around, but now the girls are broody and SO desperately want to raise chicks...it's downright cruel to deny them, maybe just once, and just a few.
Holy poo poo is raising chicks ADDICTIVE, and they ALL love me! I can't get rid of these chicks...
OK, so those three hens at the feed store today were the breed I've always wanted, besides, what's 3 more?
Uh...how did we go from 3 chickens to 42, exactly? They need more space. This new run should do us for the rest of our lives, we'll never need more space than this.
Too many chickens, it's either get rid of them or move...
The new house out in the country is great, loads of room for the coop, run and a big yard! This should do us for the rest of our lives, we'll never need more spa...*poo poo*.
We'll just build another small run as an offshoot, and use it sometimes to raise chicks, house injured/sick chickens, whatever. I'm sure most of the time it'll be empty.
Uh oh, one run isn't enough, the roos are squabbling and the hens are caught in the middle. And our old roo just wants to retire and sit in the sun with his old girls. We have the second run, but when we put the old farts in there we'll need another in the Spring for chicks...
You know, two runs isn't cutting it, we'll need a third for the chicks.
Wait...you know, as long as we're building, a fourth run to raise just one specific breed would be awesome...

Be warned. Current chicken count: 40.

Edit: VVVV And then you become Tim the Enchanter. :keke:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 13, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Hahaha, chicken math can be scary. Going from 3 to 10 for us has been fun, but I've hit my limit. While moth my brother-in-law and I love the chickens, my sister isn't too happy of stepping on poop every time she uses the kitchen door (no matter how often I clean, stupid chickens have to go poop on the mat right away). They got a huge run with trees in the back, and I've been letting them locked in therein the mornings to minimize the pooping, but my BiL goes "aww but they ae used to roaming everywhere, it's so cruel to leave them locked back there," and lets them out.

For us the chicken acquisition went like this:

- Spring 2011: BiL finds 2 baby chicks hiing in our front door

- One week later: tiny chick gets into the backyard, peeping its little heart out in distress, maybe the others can keep it company.

-Summer 2011: NiL wants a rooster, he says the hens will need one to lay eggs (not true, but who am I to argue?) Oh VS is looking to rehome some of the cockerels, I'll take one! Hmm my BiL likes the biggest of them all, guess we'll take Roostroyer.

- Late summer: awww somebody dumped some hens at the feed store, that barred rock is cute and poor thing needs a good home

- Early Fall: I ge home and find out my BiL saw this cute white leghorn pullet in the feed store, oh well

- fall 2011/summer 2012: we catch the three stray hens that have been invading out yard and eating our feed. One is Roo's baby mama so the babies are rehomed.

- Fall 2012: Roo is a bigass horny cock, he's been wearing down the poor hens and without Spaghetti the barred rock there anymore, he needs more girls! Tiome to get him some

- Late fall 2012: after a horrible experience with the USPS we end up with 2 more pullets, bringing the total to 10.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
All of this reminds me of math that is similar to the way I tease my cat owning friends about:

For each animal over 2, the crazy increases exponentially.
3 cats: 9 times crazy.
4 cats: 256 times crazy.
by the time you hit 10 cats, you have all the crazy in the world.

And yes, I do have a crazy cat lady friend.

I expect similar results with chickens, tho perhaps not so dramatically.

Vaga42Bond fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 13, 2012

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

I originally just wanted to work on Brown-Reds, too late I realized you need Lemon-Blues,blues,blacks,splashes and whites to keep improving one color which leads to trying to improve every color which leads to a couple hundred puffballs which leads to barns, coops,runs, 600 lbs of high quality food/corn/Black oil sunflower seeds a week and :supaburn:

At least I enjoy working with them, it's really fun seeing a line of birds improve every year.

US Foreign Policy
Jan 5, 2006

Things to liberate:
You
Your shit
A bit over a month old now. Henito Coosolini is on the left, Owldolf Hootler the Head Hen on the right. They're both wonderfully clean, but Owldolf has a ton more blue in her feathers than Henito. Owldolf just has like, a bunch of bluish feathers, whereas Henito has mostly straight white feathers with the occasional spot of blue.

They've been moved to the back porch, and my cats just sit in a circle around their cage and watch.

At what age can they go outside? 2 months? They're really big and don't even sound like chicks anymore. This photo doesn't show how feathered their feet are, but poo poo's goofy

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

US Foreign Policy posted:

A bit over a month old now. Henito Coosolini is on the left, Owldolf Hootler the Head Hen on the right. They're both wonderfully clean, but Owldolf has a ton more blue in her feathers than Henito. Owldolf just has like, a bunch of bluish feathers, whereas Henito has mostly straight white feathers with the occasional spot of blue.

They've been moved to the back porch, and my cats just sit in a circle around their cage and watch.

At what age can they go outside? 2 months? They're really big and don't even sound like chicks anymore. This photo doesn't show how feathered their feet are, but poo poo's goofy

So pretty!
I put my chicks outside during the day in good weather for short spans, gradually lengthening the amount of time outside, starting at about 5-6 weeks of age. We do short Meet & Greets with the existing flock during those times, where we stand guard and avert any excessive bullying from the adults. They go out for good into the flock at 2 months. Before that I feel they aren't quite feathered out enough, meaty enough or savvy enough to go outside full time.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

My girlfriend managed to get some photos of Zorro showing off her eyebrow!

No eyebrow:

Eyebrow:

Comparison:

Is it just a genetics thing that she grew one set of eyebrow feathers or what?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

My girlfriend managed to get some photos of Zorro showing off her eyebrow!

No eyebrow:

Eyebrow:

Comparison:

Is it just a genetics thing that she grew one set of eyebrow feathers or what?

Could this be worn off feathers from her poking her head into the feeder, or something? It's awfully uniform...

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
Okay, my chicks are six weeks and the one STILL has no body feathers. Just down still. (the other three are fully feathered)

I was hoping to at least start transitioning them out to the garage (with a heat lamp since it's in the 30's-50's still), but I'm not sure in this case. Should I just keep them all inside longer?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Customer Service posted:

Okay, my chicks are six weeks and the one STILL has no body feathers. Just down still. (the other three are fully feathered)

I was hoping to at least start transitioning them out to the garage (with a heat lamp since it's in the 30's-50's still), but I'm not sure in this case. Should I just keep them all inside longer?

Well, the non-feathered chick would definitely have problems with the cold and she'd get lonely without her companions (if you split them up). If it's not a big problem, you should keep them inside a bit longer.

Perhaps post a photo of the non-feathered chick so that people can see her and offer some advice?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Customer Service posted:

Yeah, this isn't good if she isn't progressing. Not even wing or tail feathers? Pictures of her next to one of the others? If the others are normal and she's not I doubt if there is a nutrition issue...

The others are for sure OK to start transitioning like you said, provided they are fat & feathered.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

Well she has wing feathers, but only the tips. And a liiittle bit on her neck. That's all though. Not even a tail feather! Do the others seem okay for their age though?

Weirder thing is she's BIGGER than the other chicks than anything, so it it's some nutritional issue it's only affecting her feathers. She's a columbian wyandotte for what it's worth. (Google search is saying maybe they can just be slow to develop? :T )

I wasn't planning on separating them if I could help it. Either everyone stays inside til she feathers out (oh god the mess) or they all go in the garage (with the heat lamp) if she'd be okay cuddling up with the others...

Maybe if I make her a little chicken sweater? :shobon:

Customer Service fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 16, 2012

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I GIS'd the situation, seems other people have run into it as well, this one on 2010:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/358305/10-week-old-columbian-wyandotte-not-growing-white-feathers-genetic

And again this last June:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/682903/do-columbian-wyandottes-mature-more-slowly-than-other-chicks

Those chicks are the spitting image of yours, although other chicks I saw had the same 'bald' pattern but were not the same breed as yours. They say it's genetic, and the chick should fully feather out in time.

Weird. :pwn:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I read through those threads that VS linked to and this problem seems to be something that some Columbian Wyandottes just have. They're just slow to feather out, but they turn out to be beautiful-looking, sweet chickens when fully grown. Give her a chance to feather out fully before you toss her out into the cold. WInter is just starting!

Customer Service, those chicks are adorable. They all look bright-eyed and healthy and they were all watching you so closely...probably waiting for treats :3:

Hyper J
Jul 28, 2004
Dear Velvet Sparrow! I have tried to take your advice and not over think things. I've dug up some grass clumps and tried to trim it but the grass is the kind that is matted, thick and hard at the surface of the dirt and it's just horrible for babies. Although they are at least 5 weeks old now, maybe 6. So I took the dirt, removed the grass, and planted some wild bird food that I buy for the woodpeckers and cardinals. It sprouted nicely after a week and they loved it after I let it dry out.

I have a bag of Chick Grit that I give them after treats when the ground is too wet for them, and I was wondering if I should put it in the container they use for dust baths. Would they use it for dust bathing and is that okay for them? It is much larger grained than the red/brown clay dirt we have. I usually just put a small pile of grit on a brick and they eat it all off there. It has been so wet that it takes days for the outside stuff to dry enough, even under a lamp. And I think my mother in law might get mad when she sees all the small holes in the back yard :ohdear:

Dust bathing makes them so happy, it is ridiculous to see how they act. And they look so manicured after they preen all the dirt out of their feathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Those chicks are the spitting image of yours, although other chicks I saw had the same 'bald' pattern but were not the same breed as yours. They say it's genetic, and the chick should fully feather out in time.

Weird. :pwn:

Huh, good to know!

But the question is, can I still transition them out to the garage with the heat lamp and all? I figure they're big enough and it's been warm enough that if the light happens to go out for a bit they aren't at risk of dying.