Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

I'm about to install a Samsung 830. Am I best to update the firmware as soon as I get into Windows? Does the 830 require a firmware update?

Mine had the latest firmware pre-installed when I bought it a few months ago, so you probably don't need to update it. But you can just install the Samsung SSD Magician and click on a button to check if yours is the latest firmware or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

rscott posted:

Yeah this is what I did when I transferred my OS/program drive to my SSD.

So to clarify would I just go into steam and change the directory of where it's located? Or could I simply just drag the steam folder over to the ssd once it's installs?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
What I did was install steam as normal, and then just copy over the steamapps folder from my old HDD since that's where all the game files are located.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

rscott posted:

What I did was install steam as normal, and then just copy over the steamapps folder from my old HDD since that's where all the game files are located.

Sweet thanks! Sorry for asking probably obvious questions but I'm not at home so I can't have a look for myself at the moment.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just did a clean install of Windows on my UX32VD ultrabook which is supposed to support Intel Smart Response and I have an onboard mSATA 32G drive. However, I can't set the SATA mode in the bios to RAID so the Intel RST application doesn't show any Smart Response options.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

I just did a clean install of Windows on my UX32VD ultrabook which is supposed to support Intel Smart Response and I have an onboard mSATA 32G drive. However, I can't set the SATA mode in the bios to RAID so the Intel RST application doesn't show any Smart Response options.
From a quick Google that system uses the HM76 chipset which does not support Smart Response Technology (or RAID). The SSD is used for the Instant On feature.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Alereon posted:

From a quick Google that system uses the HM76 chipset which does not support Smart Response Technology (or RAID). The SSD is used for the Instant On feature.

Thanks. Actually I did some digging and the UX32VD does do SSD caching from the factory but its with Sandisk's ExpressCache software.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Geemer posted:

Mine had the latest firmware pre-installed when I bought it a few months ago, so you probably don't need to update it. But you can just install the Samsung SSD Magician and click on a button to check if yours is the latest firmware or not.

Yeah looks like it has the latest anyway. Got everything going but I have some questions:

1. I have a System Reserved drive which is E:. What is this? It's 100Mb.
2. My second HDD is G: but I would prefer if it was E: or F:, how do I change this?
3. Is installing Steam on my media drive and using Steam Mover still the preferred method?
4. Any other apps that are not worth installing on my SSD(Like Steam for example)? It's 256Gb.

Thanks. :)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah looks like it has the latest anyway. Got everything going but I have some questions:

1. I have a System Reserved drive which is E:. What is this? It's 100Mb.
2. My second HDD is G: but I would prefer if it was E: or F:, how do I change this?
3. Is installing Steam on my media drive and using Steam Mover still the preferred method?
4. Any other apps that are not worth installing on my SSD(Like Steam for example)? It's 256Gb.

Thanks. :)

1. That's a system partition that basically boots Windows. You'll need it!
2. This should help.
3. I generally let Steam install onto the SSD and move using Steam Mover if I need the space.
4. 256GB is plenty, I'd recommend chucking all your documents/music/videos onto your secondary if you're ever running out of space (which you shouldn't)

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Steam supports multiple installation folders since maybe a week ago so you shouldn't need SteamMover anymore.

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rscott posted:

After reinstalling windows on MY BRAND NEW SSD a couple days ago I just copied over the entire steam folder, double clicked on the steam exe, and it just took a few seconds to rebuild its registry or whatever and I was good to go, no reinstall necessary. Funny (or worryingly) enough, I didn't even need to put in my password, apparently it's stored into the steam folder.
It took way more time to hunt down and move over all the game saves from whatever obscure places devs put them

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

lil sartre posted:

After reinstalling windows on MY BRAND NEW SSD a couple days ago I just copied over the entire steam folder, double clicked on the steam exe, and it just took a few seconds to rebuild its registry or whatever and I was good to go, no reinstall necessary. Funny (or worryingly) enough, I didn't even need to put in my password, apparently it's stored into the steam folder.
It took way more time to hunt down and move over all the game saves from whatever obscure places devs put them

Yup. It really is as simple as that. Now, as you say, if only game saves were in more uniform locations..

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Factory Factory posted:

Via Anandtech, Samsung released the details of the 840/840 Pro pre-release firmware bug. The bug was with the Secure Erase command, and the problem was that it was only erasing one of the two NAND-to-data tables that were supposed to be erased. This bug definitely appears to be fixed on shipping firmware, and it wouldn't be triggered if you don't Secure Erase the drive, which reviewers tend to do multiple times.

This is anecdotal experience so take it as you will, but I've had a 256GB 840 Pro in my new system since day 1 and it's been rock solid. No problems at all, and this is on a moderately overclocked i5-3570k system. I feel pretty confident that Samsung know what they are doing, as evidenced by the 830 series. I haven't seen any behavior at all that would concern me, and this thing is loving fast as hell. I'd say go ahead and pull the trigger to anyone considering one.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So I ran CDM to check the firmware version on my M4 drive (B:) and notice this on my M3 boot drive.

Give it to me straight doc, how long does she have left?

Also looking around these seem to be the best deals on an upgrade.

I'm leaning towards the 830 though I see that the 840-pro firmware issue may be fixed also how about the potential lifespan issues?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Verizian posted:

So I ran CDM to check the firmware version on my M4 drive (B:) and notice this on my M3 boot drive.

Also looking around these seem to be the best deals on an upgrade.

I'm leaning towards the 830 though I see that the 840-pro firmware issue may be fixed also how about the potential lifespan issues?

There's a program called SSD Life that may give you some kind of time estimate.

As for the drives, I'd definitely pick between the 830 and the 840 Pro, but given the small difference, I'd actually be inclined to head for the 840 Pro - it has a 5 year warranty too, remember.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Verizian posted:

It looks like you've used 46% of your drive's useful life in 6688 hours of time your computer has been on. My math might be terrible, but assuming your use patterns don't change you should have another 7851 hours of computer time, or almost 11 months. I don't know how close you can safely get to that limit.

Also that is a huge number of unaligned accesses. I wonder if that number is accurate?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ninja Rope posted:

It looks like you've used 46% of your drive's useful life in 6688 hours of time your computer has been on. My math might be terrible, but assuming your use patterns don't change you should have another 7851 hours of computer time, or almost 11 months. I don't know how close you can safely get to that limit.

Also that is a huge number of unaligned accesses. I wonder if that number is accurate?

If I'm using the same numbers as you, he's down 36% with 11889 hours left which is closer to 15-16 months

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Well that's a relief I'm just getting over flu at the moment so my brain don't think good right now. Five year warranty sounds pretty solid too.

Oh and as for the non-4k aligned issue.

Disk#1, Part#1: 105906176/4096 = 25,856 is that a problem?

edit- 8 is not beside 6 wtf?

Verizian fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 9, 2012

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

peak debt posted:

Steam supports multiple installation folders since maybe a week ago so you shouldn't need SteamMover anymore.

As far as I know, Steam doesn't let you move installs from one drive to another on the fly. Steam SSD people usually put a game on a drive temporarily and move it back to an older non-SSD drive for storage.

Otherwise you're redownloading gigs of game every time you want to install, etc.

SteamMover is still needed until Steam itself can do this.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 8, 2012

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Verizian posted:

Oh and as for the non-4k aligned issue.

Disk#1, Part#1: 105906176/4098 = 25,856 is that a problem?
You should divide by 4096 (which you did) and end up with an integer. 25856 is an integer. So it's cool.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How does Intel Smart Response work when there are multiple spinning disks each with multiple volumes? Are all volumes cached or just the boot volume? How about external drives?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

gwrtheyrn posted:

If I'm using the same numbers as you, he's down 36% with 11889 hours left which is closer to 15-16 months

Yeah, you're right. 100 - 64 != 46. In my defense, I do have a cold.

Edit: Is it possible your filesystem cluster size is not a multiple of 4096? "fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo <drive>" should tell you, look for "Bytes Per Cluster".

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 8, 2012

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Ninja Rope posted:

Yeah, you're right. 100 - 64 != 46. In my defense, I do have a cold.

Edit: Is it possible your filesystem cluster size is not a multiple of 4096? "fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo <drive>" should tell you, look for "Bytes Per Cluster".

It's winter, everyone is sick.

[code]C:\Windows\system32>fsutil Fsinfo ntfsinfo c:
NTFS Volume Serial Number : 0x466c20446c2030db
Version : 3.1
Number Sectors : 0x000000000ee48fff
Total Clusters : 0x0000000001dc91ff
Free Clusters : 0x000000000065822d
Total Reserved : 0x00000000000007f0
Bytes Per Sector : 512
Bytes Per Physical Sector : 512
Bytes Per Cluster : 4096
Bytes Per FileRecord Segment : 1024
Clusters Per FileRecord Segment : 0
Mft Valid Data Length : 0x0000000011700000
Mft Start Lcn : 0x00000000000c0000
Mft2 Start Lcn : 0x0000000000000002
Mft Zone Start : 0x00000000019ade20
Mft Zone End : 0x00000000019ba640
RM Identifier: 1452ECE2-D642-19E1-BEF1-91DACDF7AB89[code]

Ok now I'm even more confused.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

Philthy posted:

As far as I know, Steam doesn't let you move installs from one drive to another on the fly. Steam SSD people usually put a game on a drive temporarily and move it back to an older non-SSD drive for storage.

Otherwise you're redownloading gigs of game every time you want to install, etc.

SteamMover is still needed until Steam itself can do this.

Steam can do this since the update last week.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
No one has had BSOD problems with the Samsung 830, right? I put one in about a month ago, and this weekend, I started getting BSOD's pop up every 30 minutes or so. Mem tests are running fine, and I'm doing the Sandra burn-in test with no issues, it's just random computing that pops the blue screen, and it looks like SSD's are frequently the culprit.

Is there a util I can run to test for SSD errors? I'm pretty sure I'm on the latest firmware.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Civil posted:

No one has had BSOD problems with the Samsung 830, right?

Haven't had a single one since I swapped out a 60GB OCZ Solid 3 for a 240GB Samsung 830.

Trotski Icepick
Mar 20, 2011

Civil posted:

Is there a util I can run to test for SSD errors? I'm pretty sure I'm on the latest firmware.

Did you check the Firmware with the Magician Software that's shipped with the drive? The O/S Optimization part advises you to turn some stuff off like Indexing and Superfetch etc, it will atleast allow you to check some settings. I have the 830 240Gb and haven't had any problems, but it came shipped with the latest firmware (CXM03B1Q).

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Trotski Icepick posted:

Did you check the Firmware with the Magician Software that's shipped with the drive? The O/S Optimization part advises you to turn some stuff off like Indexing and Superfetch etc, it will atleast allow you to check some settings. I have the 830 240Gb and haven't had any problems, but it came shipped with the latest firmware (CXM03B1Q).

Yeah, I'm on the latest, which appears to have been released in February.

I ran the optimization as well as the benchmark util, just for kicks, to try to force a bluescreen, and everything seems solid. I'm currently under the assumption that the SSD isn't the problem, and I'll just blame my wife for using Calibre, the most unstable app installed on our PC.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I think Plextor's M5 should get a spot on the "drives to avoid" list. Despite a new performance-increasing firmware, performance consistency under random I/O situations is...

Well, look at it.

AnandTech review posted:

Wow, that's bad. While we haven't run the IO consistency test on all the SSDs we have in our labs, the M5 Pro is definitely the worst one we have tested so far. In less than a minute the M5 Pro's performance drops below 100, which at 4KB transfer size is equal to 0.4MB/s. What makes it worse is that the drops are not sporadic but in fact most of the IOs are in the magnitude of 100 IOPS. There are singular peak transfers that happen at 30-40K IOPS but the drive consistently performs much worse.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ooh, ooh, I want them to get one of those ancient JMicron based drives and see how badly it does!

Edit: Just for a laugh, I looked back to see if there were numbers on them.
Here's an old article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738/25

Showcasing the slightly improved JMicron JMF602B.
Gotta love random write times almost 2 orders of magnitude slower than a spinning drive. Good lord.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 10, 2012

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
New M4 Firmware is out!

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

quote:

Release Date: 12/04/2012
Firmware for the Crucial m4 2.5” SSD is being updated from version 010G to 040H.
The m4 is updatable to this new firmware starting from any previous version in a single step.
Do NOT use any other m4 firmware update for your 2.5” SSD such as the 04MH firmware for the mSATA form factor.
Version 040H includes the following changes:
Improved robustness in the event of an unexpected power loss. Significantly reduces the incidence of long reboot times after an unexpected power loss.
Corrected minor status reporting error during SMART Drive Self Test execution (does not affect SMART attribute data).
Streamlined firmware update command for smoother operation in Windows 8.
Improved wear leveling algorithms to improve data throughput when foreground wear leveling is required.
Additional details can be found in the firmware guide

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

I think Plextor's M5 should get a spot on the "drives to avoid" list.
I did this. Suboptimal I/O consistency is a poor reason to dis-recommend a drive, but this is goes beyond poor into inexcusably bad.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

This is the same firmware that has been out for a week that has known issues with UEFI (http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Crucial-m4-SSD-040H-04MH-firmware-available-now/td-p/114274). Beware.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Factory Factory posted:

I think Plextor's M5 should get a spot on the "drives to avoid" list. Despite a new performance-increasing firmware, performance consistency under random I/O situations is...

Well, look at it.

What scenario might such slowdown manifest within standard desktop usage? These values are all greek to me. I've never had my M5S crap out or poo poo a brick in any situation I've put it through yet.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Most likely scenario for that to pop up in a client workload is if you open a video editing program on a machine with 4GB of RAM (or a bunch of browser tabs, or Dwarf Fortress, or etc.) and the machine starts using virtual memory on the disk. Virtual memory access can be very random, and a Plextor M5 Pro SSD would be no better off than a spinner hard drive after about a minute.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Ew, virtual memory. That sucks and is weird, but I'm glad it doesn't affect me. I wonder what cut corner would result in that kind of fumble, the M5P rates pretty highly in all their other benchmarks.

I trust Toms' but they certainly don't seem to begrudge OCZ for their questionable track record and ethics.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That's at a Queue Depth of 32, which is a pretty heavy usage scenario so maybe their controller just wasn't designed for that kind of performance scenario. I'd be interested in seeing how it does at lower QDs compared to other controllers.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

rscott posted:

That's at a Queue Depth of 32, which is a pretty heavy usage scenario so maybe their controller just wasn't designed for that kind of performance scenario. I'd be interested in seeing how it does at lower QDs compared to other controllers.
Hitting the SATA queue depth with an SSD on a desktop would have to be a bit of an edge case, wouldn't it?

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
Hey goons found something that could possibly be useful for people with older motherboards as it worked extremely well for me. http://www.evga.com/forumsarchive/tm.asp?m=100472658 post #11

I bought a Sandisk Extreme 240gb on Black Friday and after a few problems managed to get Windows 7 installed on it. I'm using an old Dell made nForce 680i SLI motherboard which only has SATAII and I kept getting these random freezes every few minutes but then after anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes Windows would return to normal like had nothing happened. After many days of googling I came upon that thread which suggested I turn off NCQ on my SATA port that the SSD was connected to. I did and have not had one freeze/hangup since. If anyone has a similar problem and can't afford to upgrade like me then maybe this will help you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trax416
Dec 1, 2006
Thinking about picking up an ADATA SX900 256gb for $169. I have 24 hours before the sale ends.

Was wondering what you guys thought about that drive? I don't own an SSD and would finally like to grab one. The reviews seem great for it, but I am sure you guys will know more about reliability and what not at this point.

• Locked thread