Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

I wouldn't buy that cheap knockoff from Hong Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

efb, but yeah, go with what Soul Glo said. Don't buy cheap knockoffs. It's just a waste of your time and money.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Oh, that's what I thought, which is why I asked. Thanks.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You're making the mistake of thinking that they're likely to do something just because it seems like the sensible thing to do and because many of the pieces are already in place. This is Nintendo we're talking about - if you just assume they're gonna do something the simple way you're in for a world of disappointment.

Until they outline exactly what they will/won't do, it's safest to expect absolutely nothing.

Again I'm not assuming, but I can infer things. I can't think of any other reason for this

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So what would they do otherwise? A Virtual Console app which takes all of your Wii games on VC and imports them into this app so you can play them on the Gamepad? Sounds like a lot of work in itself as well.

What they've said they're going to do is a new Wii U Virtual Console, and I think it might recognise past purchases through its connection to the Nintendo Network.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The Pikmin Transfer Process seems to tie your Wii purchases to your Nintendo Network account so I don't doubt that, just with how horrible they have been at releasing things for the tiny fridge Wii VC, I'll be excited if they do anything ever with the Wii U VC.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Katana Gomai posted:

I can, because I am German and it's bullshit. Basically, in 2011 there was a push by the government to implement a law like this, which would make 18+ content available only from 10pm-6am if you have no form of age verification on your website; they also tried to force a USK (our ESRB, except it's legally binding) rating onto literally every single website. It didn't get anywhere (because it's bullshit).

However, several companies jumped the gun and implemented systems like this voluntarily (presumably to show responsibility* and avoid an actual law) and now Nintendo is doing the same. Note how I said "10pm-6am" and Nintendo implemented it as 11pm-3am for some reason, although I have read that here in Germany we actually have the longer timeframe whereas the rest of Europe gets the 4h window; I'll try and confirm that tonight. Regardless, there is no such law and even if there was, they could have based it on IP like Steam et al. already do.

*note: I don't think there is any 'responsibility' to be taken by entertainment media for the actions of individuals.

Are you sure about this? Do you still live in Germany? It looks like since 2002 the Jugendschutzgesetz ( Youth Protection Act ) has been in place which sounds exactly like what Nintendo is protecting themselves from. Apparently the same policies are applied to TV shows and whatnot so why wouldn't it apply to video games? I even read that if you buy 18+ rated merchandise from Amazon the delivery person has to check your ID before they deliver it to you?

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
It sounds like Nintendo are just covering their butts on the matter, I don't think it directly covers videogames but they don't want to run the risk.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Revol posted:

The Vita has to do it over vanilla WiFi. The Gamepad uses a special WiFi-esque wireless that's built specially for the Wii U, correct?

Miracast is a massively improved Wi-fi tech that uses the same hardware we've seen before, just with many functions incorporated on the chip and slightly tweaked protocols so it doesn't show up on normal Wifi networks and get your routers confused. If you look at signal traffic though, you can see your gamepad on a signal map for Wi-fi though. No idea what channels it occupies offhand though.

The Vita could implement a similar system as an upgraded version of Remote Play, but they'll be limited to 54mbps from PS3 (PS3 is Wireless G only) in ideal conditions, while the Wii U is running Wireless N, which gives them a much much higher bandwidth limit (150mbps, or 300mbps if using 5ghz as well) and makes low-latency transmission much easier. They will also have to have a dedicated "Remote Play" hotspot, that may show up on Wifi Networks.

I could see this being something Sony and MS could address with their successor systems however. PS4 could just support miracast and Wireless N/AC and be fine for 60fps on the Vita then. The 720 could get some pretty crazy Smartglass integration as well.

Overall I just hope it doesn't turn into another gimmick. Though honestly I'm seriously amused that Sony demoed this kind of concept on Gran Turismo 5 like, what 6 or 7 years ago, and it completely evaporated after stage demos and is now being done better by Nintendo. Haha.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

katkillad2 posted:

Are you sure about this? Do you still live in Germany? It looks like since 2002 the Jugendschutzgesetz ( Youth Protection Act ) has been in place which sounds exactly like what Nintendo is protecting themselves from. Apparently the same policies are applied to TV shows and whatnot so why wouldn't it apply to video games? I even read that if you buy 18+ rated merchandise from Amazon the delivery person has to check your ID before they deliver it to you?

I do still live in Germany, I'm German after all, but drat, looks like I got lost in translation there.

First of all, there are two sets of laws that deal with the protection of minors. The JuSchG, which you mention, was indeed put into place in 2002, but it only covers physical media being sold in stores or online. This addresses your point re:Amazon; they verify your age because the USK (again, our ESRB) ratings over here are legally binding which means retailers are forbidden by law to sell 18+ games to minors. However, no retailer other than amazon.de does this to my knowledge, so even they might just be covering their bases to avoid potential backlash. Brick and mortar stores are very strict with age restrictions though.

TV shows and other media are not covered by the JuSchG but by the federal Youth Media contract ("Jugendmedienschutz-Staatsvertrag der Länder") which was put into place in 2011. I had a look at the legal text again and while the part about the USK ratings for websites was indeed smashed down, the 11pm-6am (I was off by an hour) actually is law, although with an exception. This is the important paragraph:

quote:

(3) Der Anbieter kann seiner Pflicht aus Absatz 1 dadurch entsprechen, dass er

1. durch technische oder sonstige Mittel die Wahrnehmung des Angebots durch Kinder oder Jugendliche der betroffenen Altersstufe unmöglich macht oder wesentlich erschwert oder

2. die Zeit, in der die Angebote verbreitet oder zugänglich gemacht werden, so wählt, dass Kinder oder Jugendliche der betroffenen Altersstufe üblicherweise die Angebote nicht wahrnehmen.

In essence, you can fulfill the requirement of the law by either "making it impossible or at least severely hinder minors from accessing the content via technical or other means" or "choosing the time in which the content is available in such a way that children and minors typically don't access the medium."

So while I was wrong about it not being legal text (I assumed that the law only covered video and pictures of the games, not the purchase of games themselves) there is absolutely no reason why they chose 3am as the cutoff instead of 6am and furthermore, they could easily verify country by IP and age via some sort of confirmation and be done with it. The whole thing just boggles the mind.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I was originally going to get NSMBU, but now that I got NSMB2, I'm not sure anymore. Are there any other games (for Europe) you'd recommend, or should I still stick with my initial choice?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Sell NSMB2 immediately, get NSMBU like you planned.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Katana Gomai posted:

Sell NSMB2 immediately, get NSMBU like you planned.

But it's an eShop purchase...
Plus I'm having fun with it. The format really suits the portable aspect. I'll probably end up getting NSMBU anyway.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Don't buy games on the eShop then. As to NSMB2 v. NSMBU: The 3DS game is just phoned in as all hell and lacking the multiplayer that makes the WiiU version better in my opinion. If you want another WiiU game to buy, I've got Sonic Racing coming this week which is supposedly pretty good.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's also only forty bucks, well, in the states, don't know if it had budget pricing elsewhere.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

It's budget compared to other games, yea. (30 GBP) Also it's the one third party game that's actually better on Wii U than on the other consoles.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Edoraz posted:

Considering they are pumping whole gigbite updates, I don't see why they can't just release another Wii Mode iOS.

Yeah, but those GB updates are just for minor things like stability issues and the like. If you extrapolate on that, a new Wii mode would be something like 2TB and take a month to download.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sonic Racing is like a balanced Mario Kart with really EXTREEEMMEE speeds and equally ridiculous tracks.

If this strikes your fancy, get it. The game is challenging and frankly just fun as gently caress, and there's tons to do for 40 bucks even if you don't take it online.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Katana Gomai posted:

Don't buy games on the eShop then. As to NSMB2 v. NSMBU: The 3DS game is just phoned in as all hell and lacking the multiplayer that makes the WiiU version better in my opinion. If you want another WiiU game to buy, I've got Sonic Racing coming this week which is supposedly pretty good.

NSMB2 does have multiplayer, actually. It's just limited to two people instead of four. Which is fine by me, because from experience I can say that's right about the limit where you can still reliably work together and progress but still maintain the chaos inherent to NSMB multiplayer.

Also, yes, buy Sonic Racing. Easily my favorite launch title, even over NSMBU.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Launch numbers from Japan are starting to come out.

Here, have a Google translated French site! http://translate.google.com/transla...15.html&act=url

Seems like an ok-but-not-great launch hardware wise, but games that are not NSMBU and MonHan sold poorly. Nintendoland especially seems to be doing worse than expected.

If the numbers are right it's the 7th best launch in Japan after:

PS2: 630,552
GBA: 611,504
NDS: 441,485
Wii: 371,936
3DS: 371,326
PSV: 321,407

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 11, 2012

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Lovefilm app is now available to update and download in the UK, seems pretty decent from what I can see if a little bit sluggish.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Artix74 posted:

NSMB2 does have multiplayer, actually. It's just limited to two people instead of four. Which is fine by me, because from experience I can say that's right about the limit where you can still reliably work together and progress but still maintain the chaos inherent to NSMB multiplayer.

But that's the whole point of NSMB multiplayer, I'd argue. Also I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone with a 3DS and handheld local multiplayer is something that happens exactly once a year for me, when I go to Gamescom. It doesn't really compare to a home console.

Crowbear posted:

Launch numbers from Japan are starting to come out.

Would it have killed you to copy/paste the Wii U numbers?

Consoles 307,471

New Super Mario Bros. U 160,140
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 106,454
Nintendoland 66,583
ZombiU 10,680
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper 7252
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 4951

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 11, 2012

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Speaking of MuItiplayer, wonder what a 4-player TAS of NSMBU would look like.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Edoraz posted:

I guess the worst thing about that compression is it doesn't seem to take to red very well. Causes it to blur to all hell.

Too bad I can't complain due to Mario on the pad, whatever the gently caress else on the TV.

I've noticed the red color issue on the Gamepad before, but it's not really that bad. It's noticeable, but it isn't a big issue.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Almost Smart posted:

Yeah, but those GB updates are just for minor things like stability issues and the like. If you extrapolate on that, a new Wii mode would be something like 2TB and take a month to download.

And that's why extrapolating is dumb.

There aren't any such things as delta updates in the Wii U. As a result, 99% of what you're downloading is exactly the same code as before.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Red is somehow really jaggy on the gamepad. Especially notable in Mario because of the hat. Not really as noticeable when he's moving though.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Katana Gomai posted:

Would it have killed you to copy/paste the Wii U numbers?

Woops! That's what happens when I post stuff first thing in the morning.

The numbers actually changed since I posted that, the final Famitsu numbers are:

Wii U: 308,570
NSMBU: 170,563
MH: 110,149
Nintendoland: 78,461

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201212/11025760.html

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I assume these are retail numbers, not including e Shop downloads.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

greatn posted:

I assume these are retail numbers, not including e Shop downloads.

Yep, I don't think anyone but Nintendo has access to the digital sales numbers and I would be very surprised if they ever released them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They'll release selective portions during trade shows I assume.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

That's pretty drat lukewarm, especially since they got monster hunter. I would've thought it'd be a total wipe-out.

Nintendo better be freaking the gently caress out over this. I mean what if this is the highest it ever goes and it's all downhill from here?

vvvvv Oh...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well that's two days.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Yeah those numbers really do seem fine on the whole. 3rd parties can't be happy with those software sales though. It's still way too early to call, but it sure seems like the pattern of Nintendo games + Monster Hunter doing well and everyone else being left in the dust will hold true.

Speaking of which, how is the CoD multiplayer community doing these days? According to everyone's favorite analyst Michael Pachter, the NPD numbers showed a 5% attach rate for the Wii U version during November, which is only like, 20,000 sales which is pretty bad for a CoD game!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I assume Nintendoland numbers don't include the packin version with the Deluxe model.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Boten Anna posted:

I assume Nintendoland numbers don't include the packin version with the Deluxe model.

There is no Nintendoland pack-in in Japan, just a Monster Hunter bundle which is counted in the software sales numbers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know if Japan even has a deluxe model.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ah, didn't know that. It makes some sense though, Nintendoland is a "have people over and have fun" game, and having people over isn't very common in Japan.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Boten Anna posted:

Ah, didn't know that. It makes some sense though, Nintendoland is a "have people over and have fun" game, and having people over isn't very common in Japan.

So were Wii Sports and Wii Play and those sold like, 170,000 copies each during the Wii launch in Japan.

Even though it's probably better than those two, I really don't think Nintendoland has the same universal appeal.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 11, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
They needed to put one or two Wii Sports Resort type games in it and fit the word Sports or Stadium or something in the title somewhere.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
...so does that mean the Wii U is doing terrible in Japan??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomorph posted:

...so does that mean the Wii U is doing terrible in Japan??

Nintendo is doomed.

Honestly I think it will pick up through word of mouth over the holidays as more people realize it's not a uDraw type thing for your original Wii.

• Locked thread