Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

kombatMedik posted:

Is Persona 4 Arena worth playing? I'm into the Capcom fighting games mostly, but was curious if it added anything else to the storyline.

It's mostly a visual novel, so yes, it adds a LOT to the storyline. The fighting part is kind of secondary (but still really good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

W.T. Fits posted:

Oh wow. So I just put my third model up on the shelf in my room.

Seeing my hard work on display like that boosted all five of my social stats.

Shame I'd already maxed them out before this, but the sentiment is nice.

Also, regarding the Neo Featherman costumes... they were expensive as hell...

... and totally worth it. :colbert:

Well that does it. There's no way in hell I'm going to be able to wear anything else in this game.

I briefly entertained the notion of Santa Yu but no.

loving Power Rangers. All the way.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

kombatMedik posted:

Is Persona 4 Arena worth playing? I'm into the Capcom fighting games mostly, but was curious if it added anything else to the storyline.

It pretty much sets up the next Persona game. Lots of speculation on what's going to happen. Possibly some influences by Nyarlathotep too. More string pulling from behind the scenes, essentially setting up another mystery as to who the perpetrator is. There's a lot of enigmatic stuff in the plotline. Labrys, the character added in Arena, is really amazing and a great addition to the Inaba team. Her voice is adorable, too. :allears: I'm looking forward to seeing how the next game will play out, since it seems like it's going to combine a lot of elements from both P3 and P4.

Also, if you're a fan of P3, I'd definitely recommend playing through Elizabeth's storyline. I mean, play everyone's storyline, because they're all great. Kanji's is as funny as you might expect, and actually raises some of the most unanswered questions. I just wish I didn't suck so much at the actual game. It's beautiful and has a lot of strategy to it, but I seize up when I have to make quick decisions in seconds. I'm great at RPGs, but when it comes to super fast fighters like P4A, I'm really intimidated.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

kombatMedik posted:

I wish I could tell you, but I live in Europe and thus am apparently not worthy of playing it :negative:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gah don't make me buy P4A I've already spent enough money for one holiday season :shepicide:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If you like fighting games P4A is a fun fighting game in the style of Guilty Gear and Blazblue (Airdashing, huge combos, everything is really fast)

If you're only going to play for the story mode it's pretty entertaining but a LOT of unvoiced reading followed by like 20 seconds of fighting (if you're proficient at it I guess).

Still it's cool to see what the gang's up to after P4 (didn't see the True Ending epilogue in Golden yet), and it's cool to see what SEES is up to years after P3. If you're really into Persona 3 and 4 I'd say yeah, play through it.

To me it was definitely worth it because I played the multiplayer for a while too but I like fighting games.

Edit: If you really hate fighting games but want to see the story there's always youtube

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Still it's cool to see what the gang's up to after P4 (didn't see the True Ending epilogue in Golden yet),

The epilogue takes place a few months after Arena, and they even make reference to the crazy stuff that happened last time Yu came to visit.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Holy poo poo, the King's game scene. It's about 100 times better than what we got in the game.

Most male teenage japanese protagonists in any medium fall into a single archetype. I'm glad they made Yu into someone pretty much completely different from the norm. I stopped watching the show after episode 3 or 4 or so, because the action scenes struck me as rather terrible, but maybe I should give it another shot.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 11, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The anime manages to do the impossible and actually makes the Music S.Link kinda likeable and less creepy. That alone should tell you everything about its quality.

There's more, but it's better to see it without getting spoiled. Trust me when I say the anime is worth the watch, especially if you've only seen the fight scenes - there's so much more to it than that.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Also the fights and the animation in general get better after the first few episodes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I love how absolutely :what: Yu is in the anime, it's hilarious and contrasts everything I did the first time I played through P4, I wish more protagonists in anniemays could be so likable for being so expressionless at times. :allears:

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

My copy of this arrived, so I can go finally go slightly nuts over worrying how I'm going to balance everything again. So used to playing New game + and not caring about the social stats...

Also, naming myself 'Steak' has already payed off, if just for the line "Yo Steak! Getting your steak on?"

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm slowly starting to get into the game (just got my first persona) and I'm enjoying it a lot. But now I have to ask the question that bugs me whenever I play any RPG: is there anything early that I can miss or screw up that would make things harder or worse later? As few spoilers as possible.

I know I shouldn't worry about it and just play the game but the final fantasy games have me trained to worry about every stupid thing.

Also Chie is great. Maybe the best?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Satonakowns. Chie is the best bro.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm slowly starting to get into the game (just got my first persona) and I'm enjoying it a lot. But now I have to ask the question that bugs me whenever I play any RPG: is there anything early that I can miss or screw up that would make things harder or worse later? As few spoilers as possible.

I know I shouldn't worry about it and just play the game but the final fantasy games have me trained to worry about every stupid thing.

If you're playing for the first time, it's best to do it on Easy - you'll have more time in general to split between dungeons and S.Links due to not regularly getting the poo poo kicked out of you with challenging fights. Abuse buffs/debuffs too, they're a big thing in SMT games.

Persona 4 doesn't have anything really you can miss out on, so you're safe. Just remember to check your bedroom TV every Sunday for the shopping program - some good items and weapons can turn up in it (it'll always offer a choice between one/a few rare items, or a bulk group of common ones).

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Nonono, Naoto's old VA was gotten for Arena, so them getting her for Golden wasn't a hard thing to predict. I'm sure Sentai recasted the VA for the anime because of some sort of issue, otherwise they'd have just outright gotten her in it instead of getting McGlynn to do the voice. I'm just kinda lamenting on how I'll only hear McGlynn's Naoto in the anime rather than the actual games.

I found it kinda weird they even got her again in the first place. She's only done the Persona 4 games and nothing else, not even it's anime adaptation. Guess she doesn't like cartoons or just anime. Or maybe is a translator they used because they were shorthanded.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What, are you kidding? There are a billion things you can miss, just like any JRPG. It's just that there's nothing you can really do to make it "harder or worse". Short of going straight home every day or something and thus ignoring S. Links.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

What, are you kidding? There are a billion things you can miss, just like any JRPG. It's just that there's nothing you can really do to make it "harder or worse". Short of going straight home every day or something and thus ignoring S. Links.

I assumed he meant in terms of long-term sidequest stuff, based on his mention of Final Fantasy. "Pick up Item X at the start to get Item Y off of Old Man Bob on the submarine five discs later" sort of things, not the everyday parts of the game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait, I could have sworn the same Voice Actor did Rise and Naoto. Am I going crazy or where the hell did I read that or...?

As for missing out on stuff, there's no way in hell you'll see everything on one playthrough without making the game entirely unfun, either through following a guide, or grinding for sidequests, or being a two-timing rear end in a top hat. The best thing to do is to, yeah, play on Easy and go after the S.Links/sidequests that genuinely interest you. The only thing I would spoil myself on is how to get all the different endings, since the requirements are a little complicated and a pain to figure out on your own. Other than that, just play the game and try not to die or something.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 11, 2012

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Speaking of the anime, I own part 1, but am waiting for part 2 before I attempt to watch the English dub.

For anyone wary of the English dub, the DVD set has both English and Japanese audio. The Blu Ray set doesn't have any Japanese option.

I've already preordered part 2. It should be out January 15th.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nessa posted:

For anyone wary of the English dub, the DVD set has both English and Japanese audio. The Blu Ray set doesn't have any Japanese option.

Well this is kind of stupid.

Why take a feature out of the higher quality format?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

Well this is kind of stupid.

Why take a feature out of the higher quality format?

They didn't want reverse importation, so they weren't allowed to put the Japanese audio on the Blu Ray version.

Also, I just watched that teaser and really don't like Naoto's anime dub voice. I just... really... really don't dig it.:( Makes me glad I got the DVD version.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The Grimace posted:

Labrys, the character added in Arena, is really amazing and a great addition to the Inaba team. Her voice is adorable, too. :allears:

She sounds like a mix of Brooklyn and British to me, and I can't wait to actually unlock her story just to hear her talk more.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Schubalts posted:

She sounds like a mix of Brooklyn and British to me, and I can't wait to actually unlock her story just to hear her talk more.

She's got a 'Joisey' accent if I ever heard one in a video game.

I hate it because I live in Jersey :colbert:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Count Bleck posted:

I love how absolutely :what: Yu is in the anime, it's hilarious and contrasts everything I did the first time I played through P4, I wish more protagonists in anniemays could be so likable for being so expressionless at times. :allears:

It mostly makes it even funnier when he does something like launch into a thirty minute long diatribe on why they should, nay, MUST enter the beauty pageant.

Edit: Hahahaha holy poo poo Yu roleplaying as a girl. The deadpan looks. gently caress.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Edit: Hahahaha holy poo poo Yu roleplaying as a girl. The deadpan looks. gently caress.

'Look at me.'

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I took the day off yesterday and played like all day. God I love this game. Seriously the day flew by.
The (august spoilers)Void Quest dungeon was AWESOME. Loved the final boss too.

Its awesome when something like: attack, galactic punt, team attack, twin dragons happens against gold hands. Mmmmm. Speaking of twin dragons, I really want to use other characters but Yukiko and Chie are just so great.

I can't wait until I beat this game so I can read more than 1 in 10 of these spoilers haha.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just did 14,000 damage to a gold hand :v:

December dungeon, I think they take lots of damage but have lots of HP anyway. Mind charge, attack up on all my guys and defense down on the gold Hands, Megidolaon.

Edit: Holy poo poo they've added a LOT of stuff to this game post-december I was not expecting this!

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 11, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just realized I missed out on Fun with Numbers again on NG+. :suicide:

Curse me and my love of math puns. :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, I could have sworn the same Voice Actor did Rise and Naoto. Am I going crazy or where the hell did I read that or...?

Nah, Laura Bailey does Rise.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
So as someone who has never played before, should I just kind of go nuts fusing personas after a certain point, like when my roster gets full?

Like I have no strategy and don't necessarily want to go to a guide, but if that's a good way to get screwed then it would be good to know.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Stealthed Zombie posted:

So as someone who has never played before, should I just kind of go nuts fusing personas after a certain point, like when my roster gets full?

Like I have no strategy and don't necessarily want to go to a guide, but if that's a good way to get screwed then it would be good to know.

Pretty much fuse whenever you're able to. There's no real good reason to hold back. If your roster fills up, hit the next floor and use a Goho-M, you'll have enough of them if you pay attention to your inventory.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

King of Solomon posted:

Pretty much fuse whenever you're able to. There's no real good reason to hold back. If your roster fills up, hit the next floor and use a Goho-M, you'll have enough of them if you pay attention to your inventory.

Awesome, time to go fuse crazy...well...with what I have.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not really. Go fusion crazy! Make sure you have enough yen to get your absolute-standby personas back from the compendium, and make sure you register personas there before you go mashing 'fuse', but beyond that go wild.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

You can re-buy any persona from the compendium for a fee. Fuse away!

Also if you have a persona with a skill set you like, you can "register" it in the compendium so it'll have the same skills/levels when you re-buy it.

efb

Troffen fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 12, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Troffen posted:

You can re-buy any persona from the compendium for a fee. Fuse away!

Also if you have a persona with a skill set you like, you can "register" it in the compendium so it'll have the same skills/levels when you re-buy it.

To add to this, freshly fused Persona are registered automatically.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

As a small word of warning about the register option. Be careful that you don't re-register personae you get from the shuffle time and overwrite the one with skills you wanted to keep in the compendium.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Stealthed Zombie posted:

I basically do big fusion hauls twice per run through a dungeon. When I start one I try to have all the skills I intend to use (4 elements, hama or mudo, phys skills, etc) stuck onto 3-4 good persona I fused last time, and fill up the rest of my roster with regular ones from shuffle time. I replace the lowest level scrubs with higher level ones once my roster is full, because I try to only make one pitstop per dungeon. Halfway through a dungeon I head back to the entrance, change up my party, and fuse what I've got with the levels I just picked up. Right before a boss I go back again and set up my next 3-4 "main" persona for the upcoming boss fight and fuse anything else into either ones that aren't in my compendium, or ones of a useful arcana for S.Linking. Repeat for each dungeon, more or less.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Nah, Laura Bailey does Rise.

Who's non-anime Naoto, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Megan Hollingshead, going by IMDB.

• Locked thread