Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eagerly awaiting version 1.9999999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

This app is amazing. Thanks to everyone involved for all of your hard work! Is there any chance of a search function happening, or is here a way to search now that I just don't realize?

There is no way to search right now.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

xzzy posted:

Eagerly awaiting version 1.9999999.
So... v2?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

dexter6 posted:

So... v2?

No rounding!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

10 Beers posted:

This app is amazing. Thanks to everyone involved for all of your hard work! Is there any chance of a search function happening, or is here a way to search now that I just don't realize?

Best I can say is it's on the list. There's no way to search at present.

That's one of those features I never use, so I keep forgetting about it. But we'll get around to it someday.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

This app has had so many major changes but has stayed at 1.x for so long that I'm starting to hope we never go to 2.0.

That was going to be my argument for bumping the major version number.

Doesn't matter to me, it's a string in some text file.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

pokeyman posted:

Best I can say is it's on the list. There's no way to search at present.

That's one of those features I never use, so I keep forgetting about it. But we'll get around to it someday.

No worries. I usually only use it myself if I want to link to a specific thread.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Just a quick question. When rotating sideways on my iPhone 5, it seems like the font changes (bold?). Is this something unavoidable or am I just being a fool and losing my mind?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I am using 1.9 I compiled from source and noticed a little issue last night. I was following along with the Monday Night gameday thread and if I refreshed the thread and a new page appeared, clicking the right arrow wouldn't take me to the new page. It would mark all the posts on the current thread as read and upon hitting the arrow again would finally take me to the next page.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that same behavior happens with the pull up.

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002
Does Awful support a URL scheme to open via Launch Center Pro?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Awful 1.11.1 supports the following URLs:

awful://forums
awful://forums/forumid
awful://threads/threadid
awful://threads/threadid?userid=userid (replace userid with a user's ID to show only their posts in the thread)
awful://threads/threadid/pages/pagenum (replace pagenum with page number, or "last" or "unread")
awful://threads/threadid/pages/pagenum?userid=userid
awful://posts/postid
awful://messages
awful://bookmarks
awful://settings

I don't use Launch Center Pro, so let me know if that gets you close or there's some other URL you'd like.

edit: Updated for 1.11. edit: and 1.11.1.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 27, 2013

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002

pokeyman posted:

Awful 1.9 (which is currently in review) supports the following URLs:

awful://forums
awful://forums/forumid
awful://threads/threadid
awful://threads/threadid/pages/pagenum (replace pagenum with page number, or "last" or "unread")
awful://posts/postid
awful://favorites
awful://favorites/forumid
awful://bookmarks
awful://settings

I don't use Launch Center Pro, so let me know if that gets you close or there's some other URL you'd like.
Was about to reply with a sassy response when nothing worked and then saw "(which is currently in review)".

Those should be perfect, thanks!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Weird you asked that, as I just yesterday put "awful://" in LCP (using awful 1.9) and it worked. I'll try the "awful://bookmarks" one though, that's my usual view (I think it opens this anyway?)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

1.9 bug report: when I tap to try to get to the "format" pop-up menu, it will only work if the view isn't scrolled down. Meaning if I have a bunch of words already written, tapping format will make the view scroll to the top for a second, then scroll back down and the format menu won't appear. It works fine as long as I'm not scrolled. Once the scrollbar has appeared (and I'm scrolled down! It will still work at the top of the reply box) it won't work. Fake edit: actually that doesn't seem to be the case 100% of the time, I just got the format menu while scrolled down. But most of the time it's the case

Feature request: multi-quote. Right now, I suppose it's possible through copy/paste to multi-quote. If I quote the first thing, copy the text, close the reply box, quote the next part, paste the last text in, I have multi-quote. It would be cool to have it in the menu, where above/below "quote" it says "multi-quote", then maybe turns the...selector thing (where you bring up the options) into a check mark or something? Or highlights it somehow? Then when you can hit "multi-quote" on another post, or hit "quote" to finish selecting things to quote. I don't know if I'm explaining it right, or if it's possible or feasible. Or even desired!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'd also like to see multiquote added, but I'm not sure about the UI for it. A simpler way to do it might be to save whatever you enter in the reply window until you go to a new thread. Then if you leave the reply screen and tap the quote button on another post have it append the new quote to the end of whatever you already typed.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

I'd also like to see multiquote added, but I'm not sure about the UI for it. A simpler way to do it might be to save whatever you enter in the reply window until you go to a new thread. Then if you leave the reply screen and tap the quote button on another post have it append the new quote to the end of whatever you already typed.

This would certainly work and be a lot easier than the convoluted UI I suggested. In fact, wasn't that in before? Where closing the reply window with text in it saved? Maybe a "save draft" feature, where when you hit the cancel button with text entered you get a choice to save what you've had written? I feel almost certain that was in before...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Half of it was there before. It used to save your reply, but I'm pretty sure it would wipe it out and start fresh if you tried to quote another post.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What about adding "Add to Multiquote" to the post action menu, then when you hit reply it would load up with all your quotes filled into the textarea?

If you wanted to really go insane you could slide up a really thing toolbar or something that would load some sort of icon representing your multi quote queue that would allow you to remove them or clear all incase you change your mind. for spacing reasons even go webOS style and fling the little icon off of the bar to remove it from your multiquote queue.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

1.9 is out! Should be available in the next few hours.

syndex posted:

I am using 1.9 I compiled from source and noticed a little issue last night. I was following along with the Monday Night gameday thread and if I refreshed the thread and a new page appeared, clicking the right arrow wouldn't take me to the new page. It would mark all the posts on the current thread as read and upon hitting the arrow again would finally take me to the next page.

Just to make sure I understand (anyone who's experienced this bug can chime in):

1. You're at the end of a thread (it says "end of the thread"). The next page button is greyed out and doesn't do anything.
2. You pull up to refresh (and it said "pull up to refresh").
3. The refresh completes (the "refreshing..." spinner stops and disappears). Some new posts appear. The old posts turn blue, marking them as read. The next page button is no longer greyed out. "End of the thread" is no longer shown after the last visible post.
4. You tap the next page button. The new posts from the last refresh turn blue, marking them as read. You're still on the same page.
5. You tap the next page button a second time. The next page loads.

Is that right?

(I know that's a lot of detail, it's ok if you don't remember all of this.)

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
1.9 just showed up in the App Store for me! Looks great!

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy
Updated to 1.9, everything is great! I love having the dark theme everywhere, YOSPOS lurking is more fun now and pull to refresh is the greatest thing ever. Thanks for the hard work on the update!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
1.9 get! Lookin' good there.

One thing though.

This feels ridiculous to type, but whatever.

...the distance you have to pull (up) in order to activate pull-to-refresh in a thread is too far.

Seriously. It's noticeably problematic. I can pull (down) to refresh thread lists and bookmarks fine. I can do it without thinking. But whenever I try to do it in a thread I always end up failing. It feels really weird.

There, I said it.

Otherwise pretty awesome, though!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well it was made a little longer because when it was first implemented it was getting triggered too easily. I'd say give yourself a day or two to see if you get the muscle memory for it before jumping to change it.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I'm updated to 1.9 on my phone, but my iPad is insisting there's no update available? What's the deal with that?

Edit: alright then, when I searched awful in the App Store, it had the update button next to it and I could update that way. So my iPhone saw the update, and my iPad didn't. Weird.

SaturdayKnight fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 13, 2012

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Fedule posted:

...the distance you have to pull (up) in order to activate pull-to-refresh in a thread is too far.

We struggled with this quite a bit. At first we kept accidentally advancing the page, which sucks. But scrolling up half the page is too far. And it's different between iPhone and iPad, and between portrait and landscape. And probably different between iPad and iPad mini, and between iPhone 5 and iPhone <5.

All this is to say that I'm not surprised it doesn't feel quite right, and we'll be tweaking it.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
Really liking 1.9. Every version of this app just gets better and better.

A note, though: not sure if this is a bug or not, but when I click on a book marked thread it loads the entire page the new posts are on and sticks me at the top. Before, I had it set to load one previous post and it would set the page at the start of the unread posts. Is it still supposed to do that? Because it's definitely not for me.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
drat, you guys are awesome. This app is looking sharp as hell.

Keep up the great work!

Pull to refresh distance seems fine to me. I can't tell if I'm being brought to my last read post in threads, though. I'm being left at the top of each of my bookmarked threads. Intentional?

supersteve fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 13, 2012

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

pokeyman posted:

We struggled with this quite a bit. At first we kept accidentally advancing the page, which sucks. But scrolling up half the page is too far. And it's different between iPhone and iPad, and between portrait and landscape. And probably different between iPad and iPad mini, and between iPhone 5 and iPhone <5.

All this is to say that I'm not surprised it doesn't feel quite right, and we'll be tweaking it.

Pull to refresh works well on the new iPad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not jumping to the first unread post when tapping a bookmarked thread on 1.9.. was that taken out or is there some bad cached data from the previous version?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Slick, loving the new background when you load it up. Nice work all round as always.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
Downloaded 1.9 and am having an issue with it. Clicking on a thread with unread posts is not loading the page at the unread post and is instead loading the entire page and putting me at the top.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The UI updates are great. Thank you guys for all the hard work. The latest updates to this app have me reaching for my phone or iPad to browse the forums instead of the site.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Quick check for everyone who's not being taken to the next unread post:

If you scroll up, is the "Previous Posts" button tappable?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
What do the colours next to some of my unread bookmarks mean?

DARK MODE THROUGHOUT!

Thanks for a great update, not had an issue in the 10 minutes or so I've been messing with it.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
loving fantastic update to an already great app. Great job. :) Also really excited about the URL schemes, thanks so much.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Quick check for everyone who's not being taken to the next unread post:

If you scroll up, is the "Previous Posts" button tappable?

Nope

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Chuck Bartowski posted:

What do the colours next to some of my unread bookmarks mean?

DARK MODE THROUGHOUT!

Thanks for a great update, not had an issue in the 10 minutes or so I've been messing with it.

Colors next to bookmarks are what color you have them assigned. Blue, Yellow, or Red

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

jackofarcades posted:

Colors next to bookmarks are what color you have them assigned. Blue, Yellow, or Red

Ah right, thanks. Forgot I did that as I don't use the SA website much anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think I figured out what's going on. If you turn on "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" in your forums options, it should go to the unread post. Not sure how that changed.

• Locked thread