Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Xenomorph posted:

...so does that mean the Wii U is doing terrible in Japan??

It means Japan is doing terrible in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Nearly every single person I know who does not follow video game news (but still plays games) was unaware that the Wii U was even a thing. They have cited a lack of advertisements and assumptions that the Gamepad is just a Wii addon.

Basically, exactly the same problems as we assumed would occur. Word of mouth will help a lot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I never thought I'd say this, but I think most of the AAA launch games being rated M is contributing. If those demo kiosks were able to have say Darksiders II, ZombiU or Black Ops II running that alone would sell the Wii U to every Wii owner. There's no playable stuff (in fact ONLY Rayman is playable) that screams "This is more powerful than the Wii."

Word of mouth is extremely powerful but for past launches Nintendo always had kiosks up in all the stores months in advance with a playable demo of a system selling launch game. That goes all the way back to the SNES and the orginal GB. The Wii U kiosks as they are now are awful for a system that's already launched. Can't spread word of mouth when there's no ground level hype to spread. Even the design of the kiosk obscures a good view of the system itself, pushing just the tablet. It's another reason people think it's JUST a tablet.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Neo Rasa posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but I think most of the AAA launch games being rated M is contributing. If those demo kiosks were able to have say Darksiders II, ZombiU or Black Ops II running that alone would sell the Wii U to every Wii owner. There's no playable stuff (in fact ONLY Rayman is playable) that screams "This is more powerful than the Wii."

Word of mouth is extremely powerful but for past launches Nintendo always had kiosks up in all the stores months in advance with a playable demo of a system selling launch game. That goes all the way back to the SNES and the orginal GB. The Wii U kiosks as they are now are awful for a system that's already launched. Can't spread word of mouth when there's no ground level hype to spread. Even the design of the kiosk obscures a good view of the system itself, pushing just the tablet. It's another reason people think it's JUST a tablet.

I agree, the lack of demos is also a concern. Unless I missed it, the only demo available in the e-Shop is FIFA.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Was at Wal-Mart the other day browsing the game section, noticed a couple of mothers holding some sort of tablet thing called a Wii UDraw. They were debating with one another over whether or not it was what they were looking for, never mentioning the Wii U by name.

So far as I call tell it's some sort of gimmick controller that works with a couple of licensed Wii games. Gonna be some sad, sad kids this Christmas.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I shudder to think of the horrible things 10 years old will be yelling at their sweet old grandmothers

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hmmm, yeah, none of the games actually look next gen not rated M. This is especially true on the tiny demo screens where you can't even really tell that much that it is HD.

I can't even think of any T or E games coming up that would make a good demo showing off system power.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

Hmmm, yeah, none of the games actually look next gen not rated M. This is especially true on the tiny demo screens where you can't even really tell that much that it is HD.

I can't even think of any T or E games coming up that would make a good demo showing off system power.

They should have a demo of ZombiU at every kiosk. It is a Wii U exclusive afterall.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

They should have a demo of ZombiU at every kiosk. It is a Wii U exclusive afterall.

It's rated M, so no store is going to put it on a kiosk.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Xenomorph posted:

...so does that mean the Wii U is doing terrible in Japan??

It wasn't pointed out by the people who posted the numbers, but by somebody else later, but those numbers are only 2 days of sales. Presumably the other consoles' numbers are 7 days.

So, no.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

It's rated M, so no store is going to put it on a kiosk.

Isn't there a no blood setting?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Soul Glo posted:

It wasn't pointed out by the people who posted the numbers, but by somebody else later, but those numbers are only 2 days of sales. Presumably the other consoles' numbers are 7 days.

So, no.

No most of the others are 2 days of sales as well.

I know for sure the Wii numbers are.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Crowbear posted:

No most of the others are 2 days of sales as well.

I know for sure the Wii numbers are.

What? Really? Well, if that's true then it's kinda hosed that the Vita is outselling the Wii U. I guess they weren't that impressed with a remaster of a Monster Hunter game they've had for ages.

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nope, but there is a setting to switch to an 80s style ZombiU logo.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Soul Glo posted:

What? Really? Well, if that's true then it's kinda hosed that the Vita is outselling the Wii U. I guess they weren't that impressed with a remaster of a Monster Hunter game they've had for ages.

The Vita sold well first week in a country that is crazy about handhelds. It then proceeded to fall off a cliff the week after. Can't really compare the two.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Crowbear posted:

The Vita sold well first week in a country that is crazy about handhelds. It then proceeded to fall off a cliff the week after. Can't really compare the two.

Oh yeah, forgot those numbers only corresponded to the consoles respective launches.

I am posting fairly poorly today. Think I'll stop until my brain catches up.

(Still crazy that a "new" MH game didn't sell more consoles than the Vita.)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
The 3DS also had a mediocre launch, then recovered greatly after a price drop. I think Nintendo just don't care about launches.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

Those are all the two launch days, not all the same two days. I don't know what the other consoles sold in the previous two days.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

theflyingorc posted:

The 3DS also had a mediocre launch, then recovered greatly after a price drop. I think Nintendo just don't care about launches.

They should care if the mediocre launches are forcing price drops!

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Sure, taking away the blood in a game where you bludgeon nasty looking undead creatures to death with a cricket bat and die to them making a meal out of you. No blood would totally make it rated T for Teen.

Really, Nintendo has just done a terrible job marketing the device. Like I stated before, word of mouth will help in the coming months. That, and the announcement of a first-party game that utilizes the graphical capabilities of the system.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

greatn posted:

Well, Batman Arkham City, as long as you make sure the demo stays away from areas where the processor stumbles over large mobs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I guess Tekken would be a good demo. Good graphics plus wacky Nintendo costumes to show off the Nintendoness of it all. Rated T for teen.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

theflyingorc posted:

I just sold my 3DS because it doesn't have enough games for me. I'll probably buy a new one in 2014.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I, a 31-year-old man, was upset when I saw a Wii U demo unit and discovered that it only played videos. I can only imagine how disappointed all the grade-school kids in the store must be.

Man, back in the day I was excited whenever my parents stopped at Toys R Us, because it meant I'd get a few sweet minutes of playing Super Mario World out of the trip. They really gotta demo this thing properly.

Then again I'm thinking back to the early Xbox 360 days, and all I can remember of the in-store units is a playable level of Peter Jackson's King Kong. :geno: Maybe the demo kiosk is simply a lost art?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I remember getting in line to play 5 minutes of Mario 64 holy poo poo that sold me on the N64(it was all downhill from there)

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

I guess Tekken would be a good demo. Good graphics plus wacky Nintendo costumes to show off the Nintendoness of it all. Rated T for teen.

But there's no tekken demo and like no one is buying it.

I'm gonna love it when third parties cite poor launch sales as a reason to keep away from the console. "We charged full price for these games people already own on other systems/are super old and can be found on steam for <10 bucks and they didn't sell! WiiU is garbage! :qq:"

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm gonna love it when third parties cite poor launch sales as a reason to keep away from the console. "We charged full price for these games people already own on other systems/are super old and can be found on steam for <10 bucks and they didn't sell! WiiU is garbage! :qq:"

It's not just those games that are selling like poo poo though. Even the games that were released close/same day as other versions and exclusives sold poorly. Pretty much only Mario (everywhere) and Monster Hunter (Japan) sold well.

Jaxpunk
May 1, 2003
You'll never understand, don't try.

Crowbear posted:

It's not just those games that are selling like poo poo though. Even the games that were released close/same day as other versions and exclusives sold poorly. Pretty much only Mario (everywhere) and Monster Hunter (Japan) sold well.

What game was released close/same day?

Please say black ops, I need a good laugh today.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

theflyingorc posted:

Funny how Nintendo always tends to rush console launches, considering they rely greatly on that whole "A good game is good eventually, a bad game is bad forever"-mentality. I wonder how the console would have been had it launched in march; not that this would've ever happened, considering the actual launch predates Black Friday and Christmas.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Hobo Siege posted:

Was at Wal-Mart the other day browsing the game section, noticed a couple of mothers holding some sort of tablet thing called a Wii UDraw. They were debating with one another over whether or not it was what they were looking for, never mentioning the Wii U by name.

So far as I call tell it's some sort of gimmick controller that works with a couple of licensed Wii games. Gonna be some sad, sad kids this Christmas.

Oh god I didn't even think of the confusion that UDraw for the Wii would cause. Welp, at least THQ might survive the holidays because of this.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jaxpunk posted:

Sonic was actually one day early on WiiU I think. Assassin's Creed 3 was less than a month.

Wasn't Black Ops less than a week? I remember picking up Assassin's Creed 3 early, I think tuesday before launch, because it was available for some reason, and ended up waiting in line because everyone was picking that up.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Jaxpunk posted:

Black ops released within a week of the other consoles, does that not count? :confused:

Also Assassin's Creed was around 2 weeks after the other versions.

fe: Yeah Sonic as well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Black ops released within a week of the other consoles, does that not count? :confused:

It's a laugh because the people who buy cod want it now and will not wait a week to get it on a kiddie system with friend codes.

Go on the CoD thread and you will get unironic replies that sound exactly like that.

Jaxpunk
May 1, 2003
You'll never understand, don't try.

Crowbear posted:

So let's go down the list...

Bro Ops 2, do you think the Wii is the target market for this game? I own it and there can't be more than 1000 people on in a night. TDM is about the only game mode with a decent pool of people to play with.

Sonic Racing, can't comment on but I bought it for my 6 year old niece who is getting a Wii u for xmas. So we'll see xmas day!

Assassins creed, never played them so I got no idea. But the flak on the internet over it on ps3/360, you'd think it had raped a bald eagle.

But your asking people to drop 300+ and then 60+ for versions that we all know are going to be fair to poor ports. I honestly can't wait for the lovely ports on the 720/PS4 and watch people lose their poo poo like this doesn't happen every gen.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's a laugh because the people who buy cod want it now and will not wait a week to get it on a kiddie system with friend codes.

Go on the CoD thread and you will get unironic replies that sound exactly like that.

Just look at Angry caterpillar's avatar. Someone bought him that for having the audacity to try talking about the Wii U version in the BLOPS thread.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No need to impugn a group of people who buy a particular video game.

Edit: wait they bought him a custom title for even mentioning the Wii version? Impugn away

greatn fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 11, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Jaxpunk posted:

Sonic Racing, can't comment on but I bought it for my 6 year old niece who is getting a Wii u for xmas. So we'll see xmas day!

You monster; it's a great game, but it gets harder than F-Zero GX.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Crowbear posted:

A newly released console that was only owned by about a million or so people sold fewer copies of multiplatform games than 6 year old systems that are owned by 50 million people? Nintendo should just give up and walk away.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Right, but the sales are so bad that it must mean people that don't have other consoles aren't buying it either.

Jaxpunk posted:

So let's go down the list...

Bro Ops 2, do you think the Wii is the target market for this game? I own it and there can't be more than 1000 people on in a night. TDM is about the only game mode with a decent pool of people to play with.

Assassins creed, never played them so I got no idea. But the flak on the internet over it on ps3/360, you'd think it had raped a bald eagle.

But your asking people to drop 300+ and then 60+ for versions that we all know are going to be fair to poor ports. I honestly can't wait for the lovely ports on the 720/PS4 and watch people lose their poo poo like this doesn't happen every gen.

I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. I argued that these games aren't selling on the Wii U and I'm not sure how your personal experience/opinion about the games changes that.

Adam Bowen posted:

A newly released console that was only owned by about a million or so people sold fewer copies of multiplatform games than 6 year old systems that are owned by 50 million people? Nintendo should just give up and walk away.

I am not saying that and I would appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth. Bob said that old 3rd party games being rereleased were selling poorly and I pointed out that they weren't the only ones.

And I'm not talking about absolute numbers, because those are definitely going to be poor compared to consoles with bigger install bases. I'm talking about the attach rates for non-Mario games, which are bad, supposedly.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

socialsecurity posted:

I remember getting in line to play 5 minutes of Mario 64 holy poo poo that sold me on the N64(it was all downhill from there)
This is literally my experience. I remember I was at FAO Schwarz and they had a kiosk and playing five minutes of Bomb-omb Battlefield was like a life changing experience for my young mind.

• Locked thread